PDA

View Full Version : The Irony of Youth, Wealth and Nostalgia...

SteyrAUG
05-30-13, 00:04
If you live in South Florida sooner or later you will probably see everything.

One of the more entertaining things you will see from time to time is some cotton top dude (white hair, usually age 60 or older) driving around in a Ferrari, Lamborghini or similar $200,000+ sports car designed for younger people.

The problem of course is most younger people can't afford it. So you have this guy who is well past the acceptable "mid life crisis" age trying to reclaim his 20s one last time and every driver in their 20s is thinking what a waste of a "rolling pussy magnet" it is. Sorta like shooting a Barrett .50 at the 100 yard range or an Uzi SMG on the semi auto position.

Now of course I can related to the concept of "going in style" and plenty of blue hairs rolling around in BMWs, Mercedes, Lexus, Rolls Royce and other luxury cars. And honestly, if they worked for it, they deserve it. They should be able to trade in the Timex for a Rolex if they wish and can. But Italian sports cars that cost more than a typical house are getting into "grandma with breast implants" territory...it's just wrong...and wasted.

But it's all an example of how most of us couldn't afford any of these things when we could have really put them to use. Now I can't complain too much, I was fortunate enough to have some "nice things", but I certainly didn't have what I have today. And the irony is now that I have it, I don't use a lot of it, certainly not to the extent I could have 20 years ago.

When I was in my 20s I had a few black rifles. And even though I worked a crap job for bullshit wages and had little free time I probably still did more shooting then than now. I have rifles in my collection that haven't been fired in 5 years, and it's not because they are rare collectibles. I just don't get to the range much, and despite having a pretty respectable collection, I tend to shoot the same few firearms over and over. Rest assured if I had them 20 years ago all of them would get regular use. Of course ammo was cheaper too.

I have a nicer car these days...I'll probably never trade my house for a Ferrari. I think they are awesome cars and I'd love to play Magnum PI but the funds just aren't there. And as life has a sense of irony, if I ever can afford one I'll probably be 75 or older and there just won't be any point.

Another example, I've been involved in the martial arts all my life. In the past my workouts consisted of training with whatever homemade devices I could cobble together from backyard makiwara to a tennis ball or speed bag hung from a tree or whatever else I could punch and kick for hours each day. When my great grandmother died when I was about 12 she left me $100 and with that I finally bought an everlast punching bag.

Today I have multiple examples of every weapon I ever trained with, more workout equipment than I can use and a training area in the back yard complete with wooden dummy, hanging targets, heavy bag and all manner of things to punch, kick and hit. If I'm lucky I actually use it two or three times a week for an hour or two. If I had that setup 20 years ago I'd have been in heaven. I'd probably have been using it 5 hours every day. But I didn't have it and now that I have it, I don't use it.

And speaking of weapons, I've been fascinated with them from the beginning. I was probably 8 years old when somebody gave me a Springfield bayonet. Combine that with a fascination of WWII and my grandfathers war stories and anything weapon related had my attention. Small wonder I found myself involved in the martial arts. Between reading Soldier of Fortune, Black Belt and Warriors magazine I soon had a small array of knives, throwing stars, nunchaku, Jivaro blowguns, butterfly knives and the like, not to mention a respectable firearm collection which started with a German Luger.

But most of that stuff, except the Luger of course, was the budget stuff that could be ordered from the want ads in Soldier of Fortune, Black Belt or The Sportmans Guide catalogs. And I didn't have a lot of money for that stuff so I had to budget what little I had.

What I realized is that in the last 10 years I've been buying all that stuff I couldn't afford when I was a kid. And like the 75 year old on ebay buying Superman and Captain Marvel comics from the 1940s, the cost of my childhood can be pretty expensive. The absolute hilarious part is all that nostalgia pretty much just goes on the wall or in a safe.

I do it too with firearms. I'm lucky enough that I have things like AR-180s, SIG 551s, AUG A1s and other guns I lusted after when I was a kid. I honestly never thought the day would come when I'd actually have MP5s and Uzi SMGs in my collection. And thankfully at least I shoot those somewhat regularly. But it's still a case of me buying the things I wanted since I as 12 and to a large extent not being able to benefit from it to the same extent as if I had them 20 years ago.

Of course if I had this stuff when I was in my mid 20s, I'd probably have worn it out completely. Not sure which would be worse.

Funny how life is like that.

Endur
05-30-13, 01:28
I have noticed this as well but then again I am only 24 so I have a good while before it happens to me. In my case as I am sure yours as well, those things will have come with time and hard work. I'd much rather work hard over time to get the wants after the needs are taken care of than be handed wants from the get go and not ever having needs. It could take almost ones whole life to get the wants, if ever.

I look at it like this quote - "For those that have fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."

I think that applies to many things other than just freedom; like working for things instead of being handed them.

As far as your training equipment, I will take them off your hands. :sarcastic:

QuietShootr
05-30-13, 08:10
So painfully true. I'd have shoveled wet horseshit for 12 hours a day to have some of the shit I have now, and I would have spent the other 12 shooting it, playing with it, or whatever.

Makes me want to find a deserving non-shithead kid who reminds me a lot of me when I was that age and give him an AR or something.

tb-av
05-30-13, 08:13
I think the recording industry has the best of both worlds in that regard. If you were into recording and started collecting gear and maybe open a studio, all those collections get used every day by young people that can't afford it and by the owner as perhaps an artist or engineer or even just the sheer enjoyment of watching other people use history.

Todd00000
05-30-13, 12:11
Why do people assume that any man past 35 driving a sports car is trying to reclaim youth or having a mid-life crisis? As you state young guys can't afford them so how are sports cars made for young guys? I've been driving sports cars since I was 31 because I've always liked them and that was the age I could first afford one.

I like you have lusted for guns. Just started collecting them much later in life, but my first AR and Glock were bought at 24 before the Clinton gun ban because I had 4 jobs while in collage.

skydivr
05-30-13, 12:45
Why do people assume that any man past 35 driving a sports car is trying to reclaim youth or having a mid-life crisis? As you state young guys can't afford them so how are sports cars made for young guys? I've been driving sports cars since I was 31 because I've always liked them and that was the age I could first afford one.

Ok, I'm calling BS, cause you know as well as I do it's because the young women will take a look (at the car, of course) :) And, because there ARE a few young women who will still give it up for the ride :)

Todd00000
05-30-13, 12:46
Ok, I'm calling BS, cause you know as well as I do it's because the young women will take a look (at the car, of course) :) And, because there ARE a few young women who will still give it up for the ride :)

Yes. What's your point? LOL

Kokopelli
05-30-13, 12:56
Well I had some stuff as a youth, but more importantly I did things. I grew up in the age of discovery and discover I did. I went places and did things that most country boys from Clinch mountain could only dream of. The things that I like now seem fitting for a man of my age.. I like to shoot and "play" with firearms, watch races, drink good cerveza and feel up the occasional grandma. ;)Ron

SteyrAUG
05-30-13, 14:29

Because it is usually, but not always, the case.

I like you have lusted for guns. Just started collecting them much later in life, but my first AR and Glock were bought at 24 before the Clinton gun ban because I had 4 jobs while in collage.

You win most ironic typo of the day.

:D

Todd00000
05-30-13, 14:32
Because it is usually, but not always, the case.

You win most ironic typo of the day.

:D

LMAO...........

Cincinnatus
05-30-13, 15:19
I, too, have always been fascinated with weapons and made my own as a kid. From wooden swords to makiwara boards to an actual wood and pvc Wing Chun dummy in the backyard.
I had an AK when I was 15. It was my only black rifle until I was 21, when I bought an SKS. Then I got a FAL when I was 25 or so.
Only in the last five years have I been able to afford ARs (though I had trained with the M16 in the Corps) and other fun things, and I have been in Grad school for most of the last 10 years, so could not get all I want. Still not to the point where I can get AUGs and UZIs, but will be there someday, Lord willing. :D

RWK
05-30-13, 15:24

Exactly. And a $100k sports car, let alone a $200k one, is not designed for young people.

gunrunner505
05-30-13, 15:32
Where do you install this magnet???

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

SteyrAUG
05-30-13, 16:27
Exactly. And a $100k sports car, let alone a $200k one, is not designed for young people.

Honestly, I disagree.

The only time I had the combination of courage and stupidity required to bury the needle on something that will pass 100 mph and then some was when I was in my late teens and early 20s.

If you gave me a Ferrari or a Lamborghini today I might get that thing all the way up to 80mph but only if I have the road to myself and it's not raining or anything.

For $100-200k I'd have a seriously nice luxury car though with lots of room for my crap.

SteyrAUG
05-30-13, 16:28

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Comes factory installed on most vehicles that cost 100k or more.

Moose-Knuckle
05-30-13, 17:51

:lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrpPbui37Dk

trinydex
05-30-13, 18:16
http://richkidsofinstagram.tumblr.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flavio_Briatore

here's one of those white haired dudes that you'd find in a crazy luxery sports exotic. don't know if his contract allows for ferraris specifically.

trinydex
05-30-13, 18:21
just as an extra commentary on the theme of this thread.

i think that people who are into guns--as in the general audience of m4carbine.net specifically, the more educated crowd--tend to be people who are utilitarian.

people who dedicate their lives to tons of money and luxery excess tend not to be of that pursuasion.

to be a utilitarian requires some amount of discipline in acquisition of skills.

someone who is the opposite would seek to acquire an intermediate currency that can bypass personal acquisition of skill, purchase skill, purchase stuff.

doubtful that anyone is purely a utilitarian or the opposite.

this would bring to mind some nietzschist philosophies on slave morality and master morality.

RWK
05-30-13, 21:34
Honestly, I disagree.

The only time I had the combination of courage and stupidity required to bury the needle on something that will pass 100 mph and then some was when I was in my late teens and early 20s.

I'm not sure how there can be any disagreement over it. Companies design and manufacture cars in order to sell them. How many 20-somethings do any of us know who can afford a $100k+ car? The target demographic for top-shelf sports cars is not the 20-something market. The median age of a US car buyer with enough disposable income and who is buying a luxury sports car is 37, according to data from Mercedes. According to SEMA data from 2009, the average age range of a Corvette owner was 37 - 63, with an annual income of over $105k.

SteyrAUG
05-30-13, 22:25
I'm not sure how there can be any disagreement over it. Companies design and manufacture cars in order to sell them. How many 20-somethings do any of us know who can afford a $100k+ car? The target demographic for top-shelf sports cars is not the 20-something market. The median age of a US car buyer with enough disposable income and who is buying a luxury sports car is 37, according to data from Mercedes. According to SEMA data from 2009, the average age range of a Corvette owner was 37 - 63, with an annual income of over $105k.

You seem to be missing the entire point of my post completely.

While Ferarri's and Lamborghini's may not be marketed to people in their 20s, cars that are capable of that kind of performance are "designed" for people with better driving skills than your typical senior citizen.

trinydex
05-30-13, 22:51
Honestly, I disagree.

If you gave me a Ferrari or a Lamborghini today I might get that thing all the way up to 80mph but only if I have the road to myself and it's not raining or anything.

For $100-200k I'd have a seriously nice luxury car though with lots of room for my crap.

courage and stupidity aren't the only two circumstances where one should drive quickly. I'd say the best reason to drive quickly is skill under competition. similarly its one of the best reasons to shoot quickly also. few have the skill, those that acquire it at a young age through brutal practice recombines aimed and making them professionals. lewis hamilton comes to mind.

also to want space in your car for all your stuff is brutally utilitarian and is the opposite of luxurious excess.

SteyrAUG
05-31-13, 00:32
courage and stupidity aren't the only two circumstances where one should drive quickly. I'd say the best reason to drive quickly is skill under competition. similarly its one of the best reasons to shoot quickly also. few have the skill, those that acquire it at a young age through brutal practice recombines aimed and making them professionals. lewis hamilton comes to mind.

also to want space in your car for all your stuff is brutally utilitarian and is the opposite of luxurious excess.

Anyone who is a competitive driver or similar is exempt from the point of my original post and follow up remarks. I thought that would be obvious but apparently it isn't a given.

Typically my posts are about the average, ordinary person and not unique exceptions to the general rule.

I'm sure there are professional drivers in their 60s who are better drivers than I have ever been at any age. I'm also pretty sure none of them are the guys I'm seeing in traffic down here.

trinydex
05-31-13, 00:38
my point was really that skill level has no age, but I get what you're saying. luxury exotics are mostly made for rich posers who can't race for shit.

RWK
05-31-13, 00:39
You seem to be missing the entire point of my post completely.

While Ferarri's and Lamborghini's may not be marketed to people in their 20s, cars that are capable of that kind of performance are "designed" for people with better driving skills than your typical senior citizen.

Ok, gotcha. Kind of like how most firearms are designed for people with better shooting skills than your typical gun owner? :smile:

And, like many gun owners, the percentage of people who own and actually use their high-performance cars in any high-performance capacity is very small. Gun owners have "safe queens", car owners have "garage queens". It's a lot about status.

JoshNC
05-31-13, 00:50
Well come on to Palo Alto and the surrounding Silicon Valley if you want to see myriad 30-40 year olds driving supercars and buying homes that start at $2.5 million. My wife and I walked past our favorite restaurant about 2 months ago and saw THREE Enzo Ferraris in a line each behind the other at the valet. Recently saw a Bugatti Veyron being driven by a young appearing guy as well.

Strike it rich with tech gold out here and you too can be a multimillionaire 30 year old.

xjustintimex
05-31-13, 01:02
who wants to peak in their 20s

I have done loads of driving instruction exc in my teens and 20's. I have gotten to drive an amazing array of cars and I can say that you will never appreciate it until it is yours through hard work. I don't know what it would be like to be the successful 30 year old who earned his keep and has all the toys money can buy, but its a beautiful thing aging into your wealth. While I have a long way to go, and I see your point... Critically speaking I'm not so sure you would have appreciated the stuff you have now if you wouldn't have earned it. When dabbling in a world of luxury that doesn't belong to you its amazing how you can look up to the people who have acquired it and realize how far your journey is. It is a really cool thing to meet people who have bought things that were goals, and they didn't sacrifice a need to get it exc.. they waited and bought it when the time was right. I've always respected that.

ie I guess what i'm trying to say is... goals are what drive you forward when you are young and old. They shape you, and its less about what happens after you accomplish them as much as the actions you take towards the end. Skipping the middle sucks and cuts out all appreciation. Kids are suppose to live vicariously through accomplished adults as much as accomplished adults live vicariously through young people who reap benefit from their accomplishment.

SteyrAUG
05-31-13, 03:04
Ok, gotcha. Kind of like how most firearms are designed for people with better shooting skills than your typical gun owner? :smile:

And, like many gun owners, the percentage of people who own and actually use their high-performance cars in any high-performance capacity is very small. Gun owners have "safe queens", car owners have "garage queens". It's a lot about status.

Yes often it is about status as much as nostalgia. But at least we are understanding each other.

SteyrAUG
05-31-13, 03:08
who wants to peak in their 20s

I have done loads of driving instruction exc in my teens and 20's. I have gotten to drive an amazing array of cars and I can say that you will never appreciate it until it is yours through hard work. I don't know what it would be like to be the successful 30 year old who earned his keep and has all the toys money can buy, but its a beautiful thing aging into your wealth. While I have a long way to go, and I see your point... Critically speaking I'm not so sure you would have appreciated the stuff you have now if you wouldn't have earned it. When dabbling in a world of luxury that doesn't belong to you its amazing how you can look up to the people who have acquired it and realize how far your journey is. It is a really cool thing to meet people who have bought things that were goals, and they didn't sacrifice a need to get it exc.. they waited and bought it when the time was right. I've always respected that.

ie I guess what i'm trying to say is... goals are what drive you forward when you are young and old. They shape you, and its less about what happens after you accomplish them as much as the actions you take towards the end. Skipping the middle sucks and cuts out all appreciation. Kids are suppose to live vicariously through accomplished adults as much as accomplished adults live vicariously through young people who reap benefit from their accomplishment.

It isn't so much a matter of handing everything to you when you are 20. As has been mentioned before, if that happened many of those people wouldn't appreciate it. I was simply pointing out the irony of finally achieving some of these things so late in life they border on irrelevant.

I appreciate what I have because I know what I went through to get it. But sometimes when I look at things I wish I had owned them 20 years ago.

ryr8828
05-31-13, 05:15
I'm 56 now. Retired back in February.
When I was 17 I had a 1967 corvette bought, 427 with 4 speed and loaded. The guy was selling it to buy his nagging wife new furniture.I already had the financing worked out. The night before I was supposed to pick it up, the guy's wife left him for another guy with a newer corvette and he got drunk and went out and totaled it. Fiberglass all over the road I heard. Then came marriage, kids, then a divorce, no money, no corvette. I promised myself I'd one day have a corvette.

Now that I can afford it I no longer have the urge, I drive a 4 wheel drive truck. I also always wanted a convertible, so I bought a 1973 jeep to redo that the top comes off of. Not exactly the sports car I always wanted.

Had an old Harley when I was in high school also (I worked construction during the summers every year to pay for this stuff). Always told myself that one day I'd get another Harley when I had money. After seeing friends and one family member ran over and killed on motorcycles through no fault of their own I lost the urge to buy a Harley also.

So my Jeep is my combo Harley/Corvette/Convertible. I spend my money on tools, guns, ammunition, and golf.

Voodoo_Man
05-31-13, 05:52
Guess it depends on how you were raised and standards you have for yourself.

I've never had a car that was not a two seat sports car. I've only recently been looking at buying a car that has a backseat and that's because I don't think the kid seat will fit in the back of a 911.

There is nothing wrong with material possessions, I mean hell, we spent thousands of dollars on rifles that we may or may not use a few dozen times year. Why not spend some cash on yourself for something you use daily.

Mjolnir
05-31-13, 05:54
There is no place to play with such cars and the vast majority do not have the requisite skills to "play" in them anyway.

Ego drives many things and sports cars are just one way of the ego manifesting itself.

Midlife Crisis

That may be true for some; maybe many but certainly not all. Being that age provides a level of maturity to avoid binning said chariot which is a good thing.

For myself, I'll take a Porsche 997 GT3 RS. They could pair swastikas on it and I'd drive it as much as I could. But then I've ALWAYS been a sports car person. If I were 20 years older I'd opt for a 2013 Porsche 991 GT3 since it has a double clutch transmission.

But the same would apply: not enough skill and no place to drive it on public roads. That relegates the car to Open Track Events and Autocross Events. At least with the Ferrari 458 Italia it makes an awesome statement, being what it is. Same with modern Lamborghinis. May as well add the Audi R8, too. All three are stunningly good looking cars - especially compared to a lot of metal out there.

I'd still take it and I could not care less whether it made me socially "acceptable" or a social pariah.

"One man with courage makes a majority."

JoshNC
06-01-13, 01:58
At least with the Ferrari 458 Italia it makes an awesome statement, being what it is. Same with modern Lamborghinis. May as well add the Audi R8, too. All three are stunningly good looking cars - especially compared to a lot of metal out there.

I'd still take it and I could not care less whether it made me socially "acceptable" or a social pariah.

Amen. It is not a mid life crisis if you've wanted one since you were a kid.