PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Noveske NSR barrel nut

patrick0525
05-30-13, 06:56
I am unable to hand-tighten and thread the nut all the way down to near-contact with the upper. I can see several upper threads exposed.
Do I tighten by force by using a wrench? Will I damage aluminum and steel threads? It feels like the threads are not cut right.

When I flip the nut around, it's perfect. It turns easily until it contacts with the upper.

Do I need to exchange my NSR barrel nut and ask for a replacement?
On another MidwayUSA upper, the barrel nut tightens down on both sides perfectly. On a Aero Precision upper, the same problem. The barrel nut side that worked- works. On the bad side, still doesn't work.
Any suggestions?

C4IGrant
05-30-13, 06:59
I am unable to hand-tighten and thread the nut all the way down to near-contact with the upper. I can see several upper threads exposed.
Do I tighten by force by using a wrench? Will I damage aluminum and steel threads? It feels like the threads are not cut right.

When I flip the nut around, it's perfect. It turns easily until it contacts with the upper.

Do I need to exchange my NSR barrel nut and ask for a replacement?
On another MidwayUSA upper, the barrel nut tightens down on both sides perfectly. On a Aero Precision upper, the same problem. The barrel nut side that worked- works. On the bad side, still doesn't work.
Any suggestions?

That is odd. When you look into the barrel nut, does it look like it is missing a few threads?

Yes, I would contact Noveske and see what they say.

C4

patrick0525
05-30-13, 07:12
It doesn't look it is missing any threads. Why does it work on the midway upper, and have problems the aero and mega uppers?
The mega billet upper is the one that has the barrel attached to it.

By the way, I tried the new Seekins MCSR's barrel nut and it threads perfectly onto the mega billet upper.

C4IGrant
05-30-13, 07:21
It doesn't look it is missing any threads. Why does it work on the midway upper, and have problems the aero and mega uppers?
The mega billet upper is the one that has the barrel attached to it.

By the way, I tried the new Seekins MCSR's barrel nut and it threads perfectly onto the mega billet upper.

Good question. Without looking at it, it is hard to tell.

C4

patrick0525
05-30-13, 11:42
Just spoke with the Noveske tech support and he said I may have a small burr on the thread. How do I remove the burr? He said to use a small steel brush. Any other suggestions?

Sentaruu
05-30-13, 16:57
a small wire brush should be fine for a small bur, unless you have a small file or something you can get in there but that might do more harm than good.

my nsr rail was out of spec when i recieved it. for such a good company, their parts sure are fickle.

patrick0525
05-30-13, 18:38
Thanks, cleaned the threads with a metal brush but it still didn't work.
I used the other side and was able to time the NSR and torque it to 40 ft lbs. Looks great.