PDA

View Full Version : Parts compatibility question

Spiff_AR
04-02-08, 18:30
I'm purchasing my first AR and want to make sure I'm doing things right so I figured I'd ask the members of this forum for advice. I ordered a complete lower from CMMG (www.cmmginc.com) with the 5 position M4 mil-spec tube and H-buffer. I then ordered a 16" mid-length upper but changed the order to a 20" government profile upper. Will the buffer that I currently have in my lower be okay with the 20" upper?

I'm not looking to have to change anything once I get the upper so worst case, I'll change my order back to the 16" mid-length. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Abraxas
04-02-08, 18:35
I dont know about the function aspect. But unless you are needing more distance or just tike the longer barrel for some reason, go back to the 16"mid. I have both and find that the 16" handls better and still works for whatever needed. Just my opinion

RD62
04-02-08, 19:30
I think it should work fine.

It might look a little odd, but should work. I'm with Abraxas though go back to the middy.

You really are probably just as well off with a standard CAR buffer though. I wouldn't think you'd need the extra mass of a H buffer. Someone more knowledgeable than me will be along shortly though to correct me if I have misspoken.

-RD62

Spiff_AR
04-03-08, 15:49
Thanks for the replies, guys. In the end, I went back to the 16" mid-length upper. The only downside to that is that if I had stuck with the 20" government profile barrel, my upper would have gone into production today. Now I have to wait until they get the mid-length barrels back in stock. I got my lower 2 weeks ago, 3 PMags before that, a Troy folding rear BUIS, and my EoTech 511 should show up Saturday. Now if only I had my upper. Man, playing the waiting game sure does suck.