PDA

View Full Version : FNX-45. Getting some INK!

Beachboy
05-30-13, 19:40
I bought one of these (FNH USA FNX-45) around the beginning of the year. I admit I'm still not sure ifvit's a keeper for me, as I really prefer the 1911 platform, with my long-term EDC a SA TRP. I recently picked up a PARA Black Ops P14-45, so now I have the high capacity in the 1911 style package.

However, I saw in this month's POLICE magazine where the FNX-45 is getting some ink.

Link- http://www.policemag.com/channel/weapons/articles/2013/05/fnh-usa-fnx-45-duty-pistol.aspx

TAZ
05-31-13, 15:22
I've fondles one of these and keep looking at it. However, for my small hands the thing is a BEAST. Granted I couldn't swap back straps, but still. Don't think it's CCW piece.

The frustrating thing about these guns that claim safeties same as a 1911 is that they ain't. HK45, HK45C, USP... all have safeties that require me to have triple jointed thumbs to operate. Definitely NOT like a 1911, not even a double stack 1911.

steyrman13
05-31-13, 15:38
I've fondles one of these and keep looking at it. However, for my small hands the thing is a BEAST. Granted I couldn't swap back straps, but still. Don't think it's CCW piece.

The frustrating thing about these guns that claim safeties same as a 1911 is that they ain't. HK45, HK45C, USP... all have safeties that require me to have triple jointed thumbs to operate. Definitely NOT like a 1911, not even a double stack 1911.

I find it to be the smalles grip for any double stack forty five. I have medium sized hands and a USP 45 or M&P 45 or Fullsize Glock frame don't feel as though they are as slim in my hands as the FNX45. I have not seen the same issue with the safeties on any of the above, so My hands are most def larger than yours however

Beachboy
05-31-13, 16:28
My experience has been the same as steryman13. The FNX 45 feels to be the smallest of the polymer double stacks and doesn't feel any larger than my PARA Black Ops P-14.
As to the thumb safety, this one is easy to operate as a SA safety when carrying the FNH in Condition One.
YMMV

bm176
05-31-13, 21:13
I also ordered one but in FDE, this will be my first polymer .45. I have handled the fnp .45 a while back and have no problems with the grip size

mvician
06-01-13, 21:03
Just got mine and can't wait to ring it out.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f240/mvician/FNX%2045/IMG_20130601_181318_zpse2315ef6.jpg (http://s48.photobucket.com/user/mvician/media/FNX%2045/IMG_20130601_181318_zpse2315ef6.jpg.html)

DreadPirateMoyer
06-01-13, 22:30
I had an FNP-45 Tactical. Loved it, but ended up selling it because of some issues they had. Mine didn't have those issues, but I didn't want them cropping up.

In particular, the trigger pin would walk out on some of the guns. Looks like the trigger pin is now shrouded by the frame, though, making walking impossible. Could you confirm, mvician?

If so, I might pick a new FNX-45 in place of my old FNP-45. :)

bm176
06-02-13, 05:46

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f240/mvician/FNX%2045/IMG_20130601_181318_zpse2315ef6.jpg (http://s48.photobucket.com/user/mvician/media/FNX%2045/IMG_20130601_181318_zpse2315ef6.jpg.html)

that's a sweet lookin pistol, now really excited about mine:)

jwfuhrman
06-02-13, 07:59
My FDE FNX 45 has been my EDC since I got it in March. High capacity 45, that's not a beast. What's not to like? Recoil is obviously more than a 9mm but having just 2rds less than most 9mm's makes up for it. I do on occasion carry my FNS 9mm that I've had since last fall still as its a great carry gun, but it mostly stays on my nightstand with the TLR-4 attached to it and the carbon arms +5 extensions.

Anyone know if the FNP Trijicon sights will fit the FNX? I know the slides can be swapped but not the barrels and the FNP mags work fine for me but I use them as range mags mostly.

mvician
06-02-13, 09:14
I had an FNP-45 Tactical. Loved it, but ended up selling it because of some issues they had. Mine didn't have those issues, but I didn't want them cropping up.

In particular, the trigger pin would walk out on some of the guns. Looks like the trigger pin is now shrouded by the frame, though, making walking impossible. Could you confirm, mvician?

When cocked the trigger pivot pin is tucked up into the frame so that you can just barely see it. I don't know if that was the case before.

Beachboy
06-02-13, 13:49

There was recently a very low key recall on some FNX Tactical's. this may have been the reason. FN USA was very closed lip about the recall. Only verifying if your SN was in the effected range or not. It seems that only a small number of guns were actually impacted.

deadly0311
06-02-13, 13:58
If I read the recall notice correctly from FN, it was something along the lines of the wrong trigger bars were installed, thus allowing the gun to fire with the safety on.

bm176
06-04-13, 06:01

nice mvician and congrats, picked mine up today:)

http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg544/sr16ve2/023-1_zps98cc251d.jpg
http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg544/sr16ve2/022_zps22205197.jpg

azeriosu85
06-04-13, 17:09
I hear even the new ones are still having issues with the "heat" issue, when the pistol is exposed to external heat (I.E. 87+ degrees) it starts to have DA failures on the trigger and becomes inoperable. I hear conflicting reports if it can happen when firing rapid fire from internal heat. This is not an isolated issue either, the Forums for FN are FULL of threads on it. I have seen this first hand from a buddies FNX 9 when we were shooting. It was a mere 90 degrees outside and he had it on the table for MAYBE 30 minutes....unacceptable IMO:no:

Beachboy
06-04-13, 17:24
I hear even the new ones are still having issues with the "heat" issue, when the pistol is exposed to external heat (I.E. 87+ degrees) it starts to have DA failures on the trigger and becomes inoperable. I hear conflicting reports if it can happen when firing rapid fire from internal heat. This is not an isolated issue either, the Forums for FN are FULL of threads on it. I have seen this first hand from a buddies FNX 9 when we were shooting. It was a mere 90 degrees outside and he had it on the table for MAYBE 30 minutes....unacceptable IMO:no:

I had read at least one forum thread about this issue. Since it's getting to be the time of year where both the temp and the humidity will both be about 95 - 100 degrees daily, with intermittent Hurricanes until December, I will be watching for this to see if mine is affected.

azeriosu85
06-04-13, 23:50
Found a random video, theres quite a few

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U40bD4xeYNM

Gary1911A1
06-05-13, 11:57

Wow, not good at all. FNXs' are off my list now.

billybronco
06-05-13, 12:26
FN sales rep confirmed Triji night sights for FNP will indeed work on FNX.

foxtrotx1
06-05-13, 15:08
FN forum says the heat issue is fixed. Who knows if that's true or not.

Mysteryman
06-05-13, 18:25
Don't mean to step on toes here, but it appears its nothing more than a wannabe Glock with 1911 controls chambered in a calibre that reduces capacity, increases recoil and overall dimensions with zero performance gains. So what's the hype?

MM

BrigandTwoFour
06-05-13, 20:00
Don't mean to step on toes here, but it appears its nothing more than a wannabe Glock with 1911 controls chambered in a calibre that reduces capacity, increases recoil and overall dimensions with zero performance gains. So what's the hype?

MM

I can't tell if that's sarcasm or not.

You act like a polymer-framed .45 with 1911-ish controls and 15 rd capacity is somehow undesirable. Every time I've handled one, the accuracy has been superb compared to nearly any other pistol I've shot, including my own 1911.

These things weren't designed with CCW in mind, they were designed as a service pistol that would bring all the benefits of .45 while gaining capacity that is typically the realm of 9mm. The fact that it's also easy to shoot (my wife says it felt better than shooting a G19) is just bonus.

Unless you're just a 1911 or Glock purist, I don't see what the issue is.

Mysteryman
06-05-13, 22:23
I can't tell if that's sarcasm or not.

You act like a polymer-framed .45 with 1911-ish controls and 15 rd capacity is somehow undesirable. Every time I've handled one, the accuracy has been superb compared to nearly any other pistol I've shot, including my own 1911.

These things weren't designed with CCW in mind, they were designed as a service pistol that would bring all the benefits of .45 while gaining capacity that is typically the realm of 9mm. The fact that it's also easy to shoot (my wife says it felt better than shooting a G19) is just bonus.

Unless you're just a 1911 or Glock purist, I don't see what the issue is.

Nothing about the gun is a game changer. Manual safeties are unnecessary items and weight. Same goes for exposed hammers. Striker fired solves the problem, and involves fewer pieces. I'll likely hear the heat for this, but the 1911 is a dead animal, has been for decades.

The FN weighs as much as most Glocks do loaded and is close to a half inch wider! Fifteen rounds still isn't 17 rounds. 45ACP offers a near zero terminal performance benefit over 9mm or .40cal. I don't understand why a service gun needs to be so large? A compact or in some cases a subcompact is just as capable. The physical size of the pistol has zero effect on its performance. A large duty gun makes off duty carry a real challenge, and for what benefit?

Dumb(and unnecessary) controls, over weight, over sized, poor calibre, and dated design. Sounds cutting edge...

On a final note, accuracy is a function of the shooter, not the gun. If you can't make solid hits/groupings with any pistol you pick up, the problem is you not the gun.

MM

Beachboy
06-06-13, 05:24
MM,

Everything you said is opinion, not fact. All can be refuted by a different opinion or anecdotal evidence. Claims about the lack of necessity of manual safeties, effectiveness of one caliber over the other, etc., are only a persons opinion, based upon their experiences and likes and dislikes.
The 1911, in your view dead for decades, goes against the opinion of many others. A large enough group of the buying public and specialized military units that 1911 sales and development continues today on a basic design that has been in service for over 100 years.
I have to look at your responses and wonder if you're a troll, trying to ignite a "mine is better than yours" fight, based on nothing more than your opinion.

Cheers.

Mysteryman
06-06-13, 10:33
MM,

Everything you said is opinion, not fact. All can be refuted by a different opinion or anecdotal evidence. Claims about the lack of necessity of manual safeties, effectiveness of one caliber over the other, etc., are only a persons opinion, based upon their experiences and likes and dislikes.
The 1911, in your view dead for decades, goes against the opinion of many others. A large enough group of the buying public and specialized military units that 1911 sales and development continues today on a basic design that has been in service for over 100 years.
I have to look at your responses and wonder if you're a troll, trying to ignite a "mine is better than yours" fight, based on nothing more than your opinion.

Cheers.

Not opinion, fact. Check out Dr. Roberts findings on handgun calibre. Have a look at FBI stats on calibre effectiveness(hint: all handgun calibres suck). Have a look at what the industry professionals choose for carry guns and calibre, its usually a striker fired gun in 9mm. In some circles that's called a clue.

Manual safeties are useless and unnecessary. When you draw your pistol its because something needs to be shot, why would you want or need a mechanical safety preventing you from firing as soon as possible? Trigger finger discipline is the answer, not a manual safety. Same goes for reholstering. Why worry about a manual safety or activating a decocker before holstering? Extra steps that could result in an ND if not done.

As for the 1911. Its grossly over sized and over weight. Eight rounds is a joke, as is the manual safety. Most don't run reliably without being tuned by the smith which equates to buying a broken gun if it doesn't run from the box. Most don't have provisions for lights. Some have staked on sights which makes the addition of night sights a pain in the a$$. 52 parts makes them more prone to failure. The swinging link is a weak point, and the calibre is (as mentioned by Dr. Roberts and others) a zero net gain. The compact, sub compact and alloy models bring more problems. Outside the USA and Canada(due to proximity to the USA) the 1911 is practically non existent.

As for popularity amongst the public. That's driven by fantasy/TV hype and blind patriotism for the "all American 1911". The SF units who run them are few and far between and many of the police units who run them are directed by senior members who fail to advance with technology. I honestly don't care what the untrained uneducated public run for plinkers. I'm concerned strictly with defensive tools for preserving life. That being the case, I only care about absolute(or close to) reliability with the greatest number of advantages in my favor. The 1911 and the FNX amongst other designs, fail to offer that.

MM

Beachboy
06-06-13, 12:39
MM,

Your drink your brand of Kool-aid and believe what you will. Hopefully it will work for you if you every need to use it.
What people carry in the industry in still anecdotal. How way gun store clerks get in gun fights? Real world trainers? They use a variety of firearms so they can teach with the same or at least same type of firearms their students use, especially when teaching groups, units or departments where there is uniformity of issue.
Dr. Roberts, he's a dentist by training, isn't he?

Happy trails.

markm
06-06-13, 12:45
I'd dump all my pistols in a minute and go to the FN 45 if money and mag procurment weren't an issue.

I picked up this pistol and shot it like I'd owned it for years on my first mag.

Beachboy
06-06-13, 12:58
Markm,

I haven't bonded to that level with mine and tend to go back to one of my 1911's. However, I do like the FNX and have found some areas it does excel for my use.
The mag availability issue seemed to lift a couple of weeks ago, when several vendors were offering them. Not sure if that's the status now or not.
I do agree it's an easy to shoot handgun right out of the box.

markm
06-06-13, 13:08
My shooting buddy buys every premium gun there is. So i get the oportunity to just pick up pistols and try them.

His FNP was one of those DAMN that's nice moments. I don't know what the diff is between it and the FNX, but they look the same. :confused:

Beachboy
06-06-13, 13:24
FNX is basically product improvement model of FNP is my understanding. It's evolving, like other firearms have.

DreadPirateMoyer
06-06-13, 13:24
Seriously, Militaryman? Seems like you're unwilling to accept that, regardless of the information out there, some people just like .45s, polymer pistols, guns that carry 15+ rounds, and manual safeties (i.e., there are people out there who want a polymer doublestack 1911 without having to deal with a 1911), and FN is meeting that demand. The hype is because this is the only gun that does that in a mass-produced, modern design. If you're incapable of at least seeing why some people would be hyped about this, you're just being stubborn, though for the record, I do agree with the foundation of your handgun philisophy.

OR

Militaryman is a giant troll that loads his posts with baiting and loaded statements to cause controversy, and I bit.

Judging by the post count, I'd say the latter.

ETA: yeah, at minimum a half troll. Almost all his posts are stubborn, condescending, filled with loaded language, and argumentative. Probably worth ignoring.

markm
06-06-13, 13:41
FNX is basically product improvement model of FNP is my understanding. It's evolving, like other firearms have.

The only downside is the price went up some. I want one for Carry. It'd be a very comforting gun to have under your shirt/coat.

Mysteryman
06-06-13, 13:41
MM,

Your drink your brand of Kool-aid and believe what you will. Hopefully it will work for you if you every need to use it.
What people carry in the industry in still anecdotal. How way gun store clerks get in gun fights? Real world trainers? They use a variety of firearms so they can teach with the same or at least same type of firearms their students use, especially when teaching groups, units or departments where there is uniformity of issue.
Dr. Roberts, he's a dentist by training, isn't he?

Happy trails.

Would you care to debate the merits of weight, capacity, design, and reliability? I didn't think so. LAV is likely the most knowledgeable man when it comes to 1911's and yet he carries a striker fired pistol in 9mm. Jason Falla, Dave Harrington, Kyle Lamb, Kyle Defoor, paul Howe, Frank proctor And Travis Haley to name a few all choose striker fired pistols and usually in 9mm. As you say, the big names run a variety, but that's to meet the students needs for training. Given the choice, a 1911 isn't one. I've taken a few courses and have yet to see a 1911 that didn't sh*t the bed atleast once a day, and I'm talking hard stoppages that would have ended the fight in a negative way for the user.

As for Dr. Roberts, he's the most in the know guy for terminal performance as far back as Dr. Fackler who some would say is the grandfather of modern ballistics. I'm sure his time teaching and working in a level 1 trauma centre are mean nothing. His research is disgustingly in depth and completely unbiased. He has a sub forum here on M4C.net dedicated to terminal performance. Do you have a sub forum???

https://www.m4carbine.net/member.php?u=531

In this thread: Militaryman is unwilling to accept that, regardless of the information out there, some people like .45s, polymer pistols, guns that carry 15+ rounds, and manual safeties (i.e., there are people out there who want a polymer doublestack 1911), and FN is meeting that demand. The hype is because this is the only gun that does that in a mass-produced, modern design.

OR

Militaryman is a giant troll that loads his posts with baiting and loaded statements to cause controversy.

Judging by the post count, I'd say the latter.

Based on your post, you either need glasses or a refresher in reading. I'm not "militaryman" and I'm not an active duty nor former serving member of any military. My screen name is "MYSTERYMAN". I'd say it is you who is trolling based on your inability to get my name right.

As for the topic, would you care to debate the merits of ancient fat dinosaurs like the 1911 compared to modern striker fired pistols?

MM

DreadPirateMoyer
06-06-13, 13:45
I edited my post before you got yours out. Give it a read. I like 9mms with as much capacity as possible for defensive use, but to deny that this gun is unworthy of hype is just being stubborn.

And I got your name wrong. No big deal. You need to relax with your provocations and trolling or you might get the boot.

Beachboy
06-06-13, 13:58
I realize that I'm repeating myself, but MM do your own thing. I really could care less. You see your opinion is worth exactly nothing. Just a big, fat zero. Because it is nothing but an opinion, regardless of the others you cite. If you think that a 9 mm Glock is the ultimate blaster then by all means carry it.
Just like based on my experiences and opinion, I elect to carry some form of a .45 launcher. Mostly a 5" steel framed 1911. My call, I'm quite happy with it.
Sub-forum? Why no I don't, do you?

billybronco
06-06-13, 14:12
my first experience mirrored Mark's.....I was winging or shattering clays on a hillside @ 25 yards like I was takin' a piss.

fast, concise follow up shots likely due to it recoiling like a 9mm and the fairly nice single action.

only got couple hundred rounds through mine due to ammo scare but hopefully I get another 2-3 mags and some night sights on it shortly.

thing is solid and feels well made with little slide to frame lateral movement.

only thing is, mags sometimes catch in the well. with more muscle memory and repetition, the problem will be alleviated.

markm
06-06-13, 14:13
I'll trade an A5 buffer for one! Any takers? :p

DreadPirateMoyer
06-06-13, 14:15
My experience with my FNP-45 (same thing, just gen 1) was the same as yours. Best factory trigger I've ever felt. Felt like I always owned it. Accurate and comfortable to shoot.

Always regretted selling it, despite the alleged problems cropping up in the FNP version.

Mysteryman
06-06-13, 16:55
I edited my post before you got yours out. Give it a read. I like 9mms with as much capacity as possible for defensive use, but to deny that this gun is unworthy of hype is just being stubborn.

And I got your name wrong. No big deal. You need to relax with your provocations and trolling or you might get the boot.

I apologize if my post came across as aggressive, It wasn't meant that way. More a tongue in cheek feel, but emotion is often hard to convey via text.

As for the FNX, its just a polymer 1911esque pistol. As I mentioned earlier, there's nothing revolutionary or game changing about it. 15 rounds is old news as is polymer. the FNX doesn't do anything better than a half dozen other options already on the market.

I realize that I'm repeating myself, but MM do your own thing. I really could care less. You see your opinion is worth exactly nothing. Just a big, fat zero. Because it is nothing but an opinion, regardless of the others you cite. If you think that a 9 mm Glock is the ultimate blaster then by all means carry it.
Just like based on my experiences and opinion, I elect to carry some form of a .45 launcher. Mostly a 5" steel framed 1911. My call, I'm quite happy with it.
Sub-forum? Why no I don't, do you?

You're still not following along here. What I posted is not opinion, its fact. 1911's have inferior capacity with increased weight and complexity while being chambered for a calibre that does not assure a one(or even two or three) shot stop, as shot placement is the most critical aspect not calibre. This you can't dispute. Such ignorance is what I find so astounding. I like a 1911, they're the classic beginnings of modern semi autos. However, they're dated and have seen their prime long ago. They don't hold a candle to modern designs as far as features and attributes are concerned. As you say, you continue to run your choice, and I will continue to run mine. When you wish to interject fact instead of emotion to the discussion/debate then I'm all ears.

MM

WickedWillis
06-06-13, 18:40

That is a freaking joke from something you are depending your life on! Although, I understand a lot of modern firearms have their issues regardless of make, this one just seems odd to me.

BrigandTwoFour
06-06-13, 20:16
A few points of order I wish to address.

Not opinion, fact. Check out Dr. Roberts findings on handgun calibre. Have a look at FBI stats on calibre effectiveness(hint: all handgun calibres suck). Have a look at what the industry professionals choose for carry guns and calibre, its usually a striker fired gun in 9mm. In some circles that's called a clue.

Since you want to go with the writings of the good Doctor, then lets do that. This is quoted right off the first few paragraphs:

"As you increase bullet size and mass from 9 mm/357 Sig, to .40 S&W, to .45 ACP, more tissue is crushed, resulting in a larger permanent cavity. In addition, the larger bullets often offer better performance through intermediate barriers. For some, the incremental advantages of the larger calibers are offset by weapon platform characteristics."

The weapon platform characteristics are generally understood to be capacity and recoil. If you can mitigate those two by having better recoil control and higher capacity, I would see no reason NOT to take advantage of a caliber that is demonstrably better with tissue damage and penetration.

You are not wrong with the FBI (and most everyone else) findings that all handgun calibers are weak sauce when compared to rifle rounds, but that must be used in context. The greatest advantages of 9mm over .45 are typically lower recoil (better for control when used by less trained personnel), higher capacity, and cheaper to practice with. That is commendable, and is the reason I shoot 9mm. But I'm not blind to the idea that a pistol that mitigates the .45 weaknesses while being (even marginally) more effective deserves consideration.

Lets also consider that if someone lives in a state that arbitrarily limits the capacity of a weapon to 10 rounds, effectively denying the capacity benefit of 9mm, then why the hell not go bigger?

As for the FNX, its just a polymer 1911esque pistol. As I mentioned earlier, there's nothing revolutionary or game changing about it. 15 rounds is old news as is polymer. the FNX doesn't do anything better than a half dozen other options already on the market.

What other options are there in the polymer framed 45? The M&P 45? I've shot it, and disliked the trigger and recoil characteristics. The HK45? Sure, if you have a spare $1,000 laying around. The FNX fits nicely in that niche of a DA/SA polymer .45 that doen't cost what an HK does, and doesn't have the (perceived) downsides of a striker fire. It doesn't need to be a game changer, it just has to do its job and fit someone's needs/wants.

You keep railing against safeties being the devil. Well, that's your opinion. But every military, and many LE, contracts out there usually require a safety. The FNX uses the exact same safety style as the USP did, and I don't recall anyone claiming the USP was a terrible pistol for it.

Clearly, your opinions on an ideal sidearm are not invalid. But they are still your opinions on what suits YOU.

Beachboy
06-07-13, 06:26
As you say, you continue to run your choice, and I will continue to run mine. When you wish to interject fact instead of emotion to the discussion/debate then I'm all ears.

MM

There is nothing to debate, regardless of my so-called ignorance. You're just regurgitating the same arguments and so-called facts of 25+/- years ago when the military and law enforcement went to the 9mm high capacity pistol. I carried and used a 9mm when I required to. When I was no longer required I chose what best matched my criteria for a Duty and SD/HD pistol.

What do you not understand? Why should I care what you think? Why you feel that you or the conveyor of some earth-shattering or to use your words game-changing information, eludes me. Your arrogance and name calling isn't appropriate on these forums.

G woody
06-07-13, 08:51
I'm with Markm and others. The Fn-45's are good handguns. If they get the Mag. availability squared away I'll buy one. I have an FNP 9 that is totally reliable. I have a 5" M&P pro in 9 mm and others, but the FN is a better handgun.

markm
06-07-13, 08:59
The FNX full retail is showing in the $800 range. The FNP was a low 600 gun IIRC. :(

Beachboy
06-07-13, 09:36
Most people are paying around $700.00 for the FNX and around $1100.00 for the Tactical right now.

Mysteryman
06-07-13, 13:19
There is nothing to debate, regardless of my so-called ignorance. You're just regurgitating the same arguments and so-called facts of 25+/- years ago when the military and law enforcement went to the 9mm high capacity pistol. I carried and used a 9mm when I required to. When I was no longer required I chose what best matched my criteria for a Duty and SD/HD pistol.

What do you not understand? Why should I care what you think? Why you feel that you or the conveyor of some earth-shattering or to use your words game-changing information, eludes me. Your arrogance and name calling isn't appropriate on these forums.

I didn't call anyone names, but if that's how you feel then run with it. What I posted was not my opinion, its called fact, indisputable information. 1911's are heavy and complex with low capacity. Please indicate where this information is something I "think" and not fact? Your choice in SD/HD firearm and calibre is clearly not based on logic or fact, that's all I'm saying. Don't feel singled out, you're far from alone in the category.

MM

markm
06-07-13, 13:25
Most people are paying around $700.00 for the FNX and around $1100.00 for the Tactical right now.

Not too bad... I'll have to sell some stuff and start keeping my eyes peeled.

WickedWillis
06-07-13, 13:29
The Glock 21 is a fantastic example of a polymer framed .45 which handles better than the FNX and The M&P .45.

Since you want to go with the writings of the good Doctor, then lets do that. This is quoted right off the first few paragraphs:

"As you increase bullet size and mass from 9 mm/357 Sig, to .40 S&W, to .45 ACP, more tissue is crushed, resulting in a larger permanent cavity. In addition, the larger bullets often offer better performance through intermediate barriers. For some, the incremental advantages of the larger calibers are offset by weapon platform characteristics."

The weapon platform characteristics are generally understood to be capacity and recoil. If you can mitigate those two by having better recoil control and higher capacity, I would see no reason NOT to take advantage of a caliber that is demonstrably better with tissue damage and penetration.

You are not wrong with the FBI (and most everyone else) findings that all handgun calibers are weak sauce when compared to rifle rounds, but that must be used in context. The greatest advantages of 9mm over .45 are typically lower recoil (better for control when used by less trained personnel), higher capacity, and cheaper to practice with. That is commendable, and is the reason I shoot 9mm. But I'm not blind to the idea that a pistol that mitigates the .45 weaknesses while being (even marginally) more effective deserves consideration.

Lets also consider that if someone lives in a state that arbitrarily limits the capacity of a weapon to 10 rounds, effectively denying the capacity benefit of 9mm, then why the hell not go bigger?

What other options are there in the polymer framed 45? The M&P 45? I've shot it, and disliked the trigger and recoil characteristics. The HK45? Sure, if you have a spare $1,000 laying around. The FNX fits nicely in that niche of a DA/SA polymer .45 that doen't cost what an HK does, and doesn't have the (perceived) downsides of a striker fire. It doesn't need to be a game changer, it just has to do its job and fit someone's needs/wants.

You keep railing against safeties being the devil. Well, that's your opinion. But every military, and many LE, contracts out there usually require a safety. The FNX uses the exact same safety style as the USP did, and I don't recall anyone claiming the USP was a terrible pistol for it.

Clearly, your opinions on an ideal sidearm are not invalid. But they are still your opinions on what suits YOU.

markm
06-07-13, 13:37
The Glock 21 is a fantastic example of a polymer framed .45 which handles better than the FNX and The M&P .45.

I've shot all three. The G21, although a fine pistol... and nothing to complain about, was the last one I'd pick. The M&P was only the worst shooter because of the horrendous trigger... but after it smoothed out, I liked it.

The FN 45 was just a pick up and go, kick ass pistol for me. Just like picking up a pistol I'd practiced on for years.

WickedWillis
06-07-13, 13:41
Fair enough. I put it higher than the M&P due to the trigger, and I felt it was better than the FN because of the weight of the pistol. I also did not shoot the FN well.

I've shot all three. The G21, although a fine pistol... and nothing to complain about, was the last one I'd pick. The M&P was only the worst shooter because of the horrendous trigger... but after it smoothed out, I liked it.

The FN 45 was just a pick up and go, kick ass pistol for me. Just like picking up a pistol I'd practiced on for years.

markm
06-07-13, 13:44
I also did not shoot the FN well.

This will reflect poorly in your back ground check! :p

WickedWillis
06-07-13, 13:45
Oh that made me laugh pretty hard, lol!

G woody
06-07-13, 16:56

Funniest thing I've read in quite a while!!!

jwfuhrman
06-07-13, 17:32
The FNX full retail is showing in the $800 range. The FNP was a low 600 gun IIRC. :(

We have them for $700 in our store. Only have the FDE framed ones right now

bm176
06-07-13, 18:31

not for me, the fnp/fnx handles much much better than a glock .45 which I handled a friends own before. as a matter of fact had 3 glocks a 26/17/17L, tried to like them but never worked for me and end up sellin them all. now I have 4 different pistols and all of them feel and handle better than the glocks I used to own.

gonnal do some handloads today for my fnx, and head to the range for some shootin:)

Mysteryman
06-08-13, 02:19

The diameter of an expanded .45 ACP defensive load is nearly the same as an expanded 9x19mm defensive load. Even ball comparisons equate to a whopping 0.10" difference in diameter. The recoil of the .45 ACP is close to twice that of the 9x19 and capacity in a comparably sized firearm is half if not less than that of a 9x19 gun. Going big is a benefit, if you can handle the recoil and still make hits at speed under stress. A miss is a miss regardless of calibre, and shot placement is the most important factor. That being the case, a lighter recoiling/more controllable calibre will offer the greatest potential for the trained and untrained user alike to make effective hits and more of them. Overall size of the gun alone is another issue but that is more situationally dependent.

As for folks in states with limited capacity magazines. I say run the full capacity magazines regardless. Its your life, what's it worth? If you feel your life isn't worth the risk, then understand that 10 rounds is still 10 rounds.

MIL and LE contracts that require a manual safety are done for legal purposes and are fostered by non front line personnel who fail to consider real world applications. Commonly known as bean counters and policy makers, not the end user of said item. The MIL doesn't invest enough training in its personnel to trust them with a firearm that lacks a manual safety, and many LE agencies are no different. Oddly enough, those who feel a manual safety is necessary are often the most dangerous with a firearm. (Lets not forget that the US adopted the Beretta due to nepotism and blatant bribery as the SIG clearly won the trials.) Please explain how a firearm with or without a manual safety is more or less dangerous if the user understands and adheres to the fundamental four rules??

I'm the bold ;)

And here's some links to pertinent information.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19887
The link below is particularly interesting.
http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/printable/node/7866

MM

Rotor Talker
06-08-13, 06:47

Which store is that?

I looked at this pistol at NRA in Houston, it made the short list. Would love a tactical model for the RMR slot and threaded barrel, but is not to be.

Thanks

Bob

markm
06-08-13, 11:09

I may have stumbled on a nice gun that I can sell to fund this upcoming purchase. :cool:

Robc1219
06-08-13, 11:33
I personally love my FN 45. I used to have a few Kimber 1911's but to me, when I go hiking I feel safe carrying my 45 w/a few 15rnd mags. I have not had a failure of any kind at the range. It eats anything. It has light recoil. Occasionally a few brass shells to the forehead but i know this thing goes boom! I am not a big guy, but the grip is thin and works well for smaller hands.

azeriosu85
06-08-13, 12:32

I concur, must be a CDA thing ;)

foxtrotx1
06-08-13, 15:10

For your hands. Even with my long piano/guitar fingers I can't stand the grip on the block. I've owned 2 of them.

azeriosu85
06-08-13, 15:44
For your hands. Even with my long piano/guitar fingers I can't stand the grip on the block. I've owned 2 of them.

Gen 4 has taken care of that. I wear size small "CADET" gloves. Fits me just fine now:dance3:

Gen 3 on the other hand....yeck

Corse
06-08-13, 16:16
Gen 4 has taken care of that. I wear size small "CADET" gloves. Fits me just fine now:dance3:

Gen 3 on the other hand....yeck

As long as you get one that works.

I did look at the FN today, not too bad. I would like to shoot one. The single action trigger was pretty good. The safety was easy to disengage, but a little harder to put on.

bm176
06-09-13, 17:04
finally went to the range yesterday with the fnx, ran flawlessly outa the box. shot with some handloads I put together, the recoil of this 45 is the most mild compared to a friends glock and a friends colt gold cup which I shot yesterday. so some range results from yesterday. POA is 6 oclock hold
7yards shooting standing
http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg544/sr16ve2/004-2_zps5a516053.jpg
http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg544/sr16ve2/008_zps110eaefb.jpg
then 15yards standing
http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg544/sr16ve2/011-1_zps34d6594f.jpg
http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg544/sr16ve2/014_zps5e62cf29.jpg

kodiakpb
06-09-13, 18:13
Good shooting

bm176
06-09-13, 18:40
Good shooting

Thanks

RIGPIG
06-09-13, 20:15
I apologize if my post came across as aggressive, It wasn't meant that way. More a tongue in cheek feel, but emotion is often hard to convey via text.

You're still not following along here. What I posted is not opinion, its fact. 1911's have inferior capacity with increased weight and complexity while being chambered for a calibre that does not assure a one(or even two or three) shot stop, as shot placement is the most critical aspect not calibre. This you can't dispute. Such ignorance is what I find so astounding. I like a 1911, they're the classic beginnings of modern semi autos. However, they're dated and have seen their prime long ago. They don't hold a candle to modern designs as far as features and attributes are concerned. As you say, you continue to run your choice, and I will continue to run mine. When you wish to interject fact instead of emotion to the discussion/debate then I'm all ears.

MM

Let me guess, you have an unnatural affinity for James Yeager. FN Herstal makes an FNS line of pistols that is virtually identical to the FNX series, only it's striker-fired. Some shooters just like an external hammer. Get over yourself.

xanderzuk
06-10-13, 11:32
Let me guess, you have an unnatural affinity for James Yeager. FN Herstal makes an FNS line of pistols that is virtually identical to the FNX series, only it's striker-fired. Some shooters just like an external hammer. Get over yourself.

Wow, seems as though all attempts to refute Mysteryman's statements are either emotional or subjective. Without physical dimensions for comparison (grip circumfrence etc.), and massive samples for reliability testing, any sentiments regarding the FNX-45 are just that: emotional, preferential, nonobjective.

I handled an FNX-45 in the LGS last week and I (I'm about to insert an opinion here) did like the grip, and the trigger, but didn't care for the manual safety, or hammer fired design.

Rigpig, I fail to see what your contribution, well, contributes. A comparison to FN's other line of pistols, the "FNS" series, is moot in the context of this thread, as they only produce it in 9mm and .40 cal, and this is a discussion about a pistol chambered in .45 cal. Seems to me that you're the one that needs to get over yourself.

Beachboy
06-10-13, 21:03
Why don't we weed out all the off topic bullshit and get back on topic, the FN FNX-45?

foxtrotx1
06-11-13, 04:18
Why don't we weed out all the off topic bullshit and get back on topic, the FN FNX-45?

Are the tan slide, goodies, RMR mount, Night Sights, and Threaded Barrel the only differences between the tac and FNX-45?

markm
06-11-13, 12:52
There's a TON of these on Gunbroker. Not like there's a shortage of this pistol at all. :)

markm
06-18-13, 12:29

Wooo Hooo!!! Scored one today NIB for $630 on gunbroker. I drove to cabelas yesterday with BUY in my heart.... they wanted $769 for it. :rolleyes:

Beachboy
06-18-13, 18:48
Great news! In my opinion, you got a whole lot of gun for the money spent!

markm
06-18-13, 18:52
I shot Pappabear's FNP again on Sunday and started bidding Monday. :p

jwfuhrman
06-18-13, 19:30
Midway has(or at least had) FNX 45 mags in stock. Limit 2. I ordered my limit.

markm
06-19-13, 08:03
Midway has(or at least had) FNX 45 mags in stock. Limit 2. I ordered my limit.

They're out.... which is good. Saves me the money. I may get some more "clips" in the fall when demand is a little less.

Doc. Holiday
06-20-13, 17:57
Nice, I just ordered my yesterday and should be here Monday! :-) So stoked!

UCPOPO
06-20-13, 18:51
Mags are bitch to find. I have both the FNX45 and FNX9. Very nice but I still carry my Glock daily....for now that is ;)

markm
06-20-13, 19:16
Mine is in Phoenix NOW! :D

Will be at the dealer tomorrow! Mags.... no sweat. Those will be around soon enough.

Doc. Holiday
06-21-13, 13:58
Anyone know which holsters will fit this with a Light on the end?

markm
06-21-13, 14:00
Anyone know which holsters will fit this with a Light on the end?

I ordered mine from DSGarms. They have the Phantom style kydex in all the possible configs.

My holster will be here tomorrow. Gun is at the LGS right now... I can't wait to leak out of this mofo and go get it! :mad:

WillBrink
06-21-13, 14:15
My experience with it was a friend let me borrow his FNX-45.

I put 200rnd through it. No issues. Ergos were good for my small hands. Didn't love the trigger, but maybe I'm spoiled at this point by the APEX set up I have in my M&P.

My short term impression was, seemed like a perfectly decent and designed pistol, but not a game changer or something I'd prefer over other polymer wonder pistol offerings such as the M&P.

I don't know what, if any, real hard use tests and longevity the gun has seen. What's the highest rnd counts you have seen on these guns?

My buddy is more a collector than shooter, so I probably put more rnds through it that day than he has the entire time he's had it, would be my guess.

markm
06-21-13, 14:21
My buddy is more a collector than shooter, so I probably put more rnds through it that day than he has the entire time he's had it, would be my guess.

That's how my buddy is too. Yeah... if you're used to your APEX, the trigger wouldn't thrill you. It's a decent trigger though... and the odd thing with the pistol is that even when I feel like I jerked the crap out of a trigger break, I still end up with the hit. It just seems like a very forgiving pistol to fight with.

I just shoot the thing so well, and it's a 15 round cap 45. No downside. I snooped over in the FNforums and didn't see any major issues that a new 45 buyer would worry about.

Beachboy
06-21-13, 14:53
Holster can be a bitch because supply hasn't caught up to deman yet.
For a range holster, I ended up using an old Condor, adjustable drop leg. It works well enough for range carry.

markm
06-21-13, 14:56
Holster can be a bitch because supply hasn't caught up to deman yet.

Will the FNP 45 holsters work??? I hope so. :eek:

Beachboy
06-21-13, 15:17
No sure, but I would think so

Beachboy
06-21-13, 15:19
Also, Midwest Gun Works had spare mags earlier. I got an email advisory around 10:00 local and they were sold out before 2:00.

Doc. Holiday
06-21-13, 15:20
Will the FNP 45 holsters work??? I hope so. :eek:

To my understanding (someone correct me if I'm wrong) but the only things that really changed were some of the ambicontrols and nothing to much different with the overall body.

markm
06-21-13, 15:21
No sure, but I would think so

My emotional well being in this matter is entirely in your hands.

Doc. Holiday
06-21-13, 15:23
Oh wow...someone lend mark their hand to hold ;-)

markm
06-21-13, 15:25
That's right. I buy like one hand gun every 10 years... so there better be no snags. :mad:

Doc. Holiday
06-21-13, 15:35
Well, I'm sure it will work just fine. Be sure to give us all an update on your gun and holster to see how they fit!

Beachboy
06-21-13, 15:52
My emotional well being in this matter is entirely in your hands.

Wow, that's a heavy responsibility:secret:

Have you had the opportunity to check out the FN Forum? Them occasionally have some really good information

http://fnforum.net/

markm
06-21-13, 19:36
Wow, that's a heavy responsibility:secret:

Have you had the opportunity to check out the FN Forum? Them occasionally have some really good information

http://fnforum.net/

Yeah. I saw you over there. I'm sure you're off the hook. This pistol is friggin NICE! :D

UCPOPO
06-22-13, 10:20
The FNX45 WILL fit in an FNP45 holster.

markm
06-22-13, 13:48
The FNX45 WILL fit in an FNP45 holster.

Cool. Yeah... I tried Pappabears holster last night. Heading out to shoot this tonight.

iveschrhis
06-22-13, 17:21
I have one of each. Before I picked up the FNX, I took magazines from the FNP and mags to the LGS with some Snapcaps. Both seemed to be compatible both ways - "P mags in the 'X and vice versa - dry firing in the store. Not so on the range but this is not necessarily a catastrophe (since the 'P is discontinued).

P' mags work in the 'X. 'X mags though, are a slosh larger (longer, front to back) than the P' mags presumably to correct the complaints of not handling some ammo out of the FNPs. The 'X mag fits in the 'P but in my testing they didn't run 100%. I tested this with Federal mil' match overruns which ran in everything but out of the FNP or FNX with the 'P mags; mag too short/ammo too long.

There's discussion at FN Forums about other differences, but with the two pistols side-by-side nothing is apparent other than the mag' related issues I mentioned. Holsters I bought for the 'P work for the 'X (kydex and leather-lined kydex). Depending on the maker, some kydex rigs for my Glock 21 will fit my FNP/X and mags and vice versa.

Until I could get more FNX mags - and they've become available here in SE PA off and on at $5 more than the old price of FNP mags (which I stocked up on) - I ran the 'P mags with my FNX with no issues. The going rate for 'X mags here is $50.

Both pistols are accurate and with the mag' issues noted above, reliable. I have not-large hands and I have no trouble with the flat backstrap installed. For reference, my 1911s have flat MSHs and long triggers.

Some folks have talked about inadvertently decocking the pistol. Hard to picture unless you ride the safety. Using either a Modern Isosceles/thumbs forward or the Modified Weaver/Chapman stance and grip I have been unable to induce this occurrence.

Hope this helps.

markm
06-23-13, 12:07
There's discussion at FN Forums about other differences, but with the two pistols side-by-side nothing is apparent other than the mag' related issues I mentioned.

The slides are machined differently at the front. The FNP has more steel where the front of the Recoil spring assembly inserts.

The slide stop shape and frame contour are different. FNP being more glock like. I haven't really looked close for any other differences. Just noticed those two when cleaning up this morning.

Doc. Holiday
06-24-13, 09:03
I have one of each. Before I picked up the FNX, I took magazines from the FNP and mags to the LGS with some Snapcaps. Both seemed to be compatible both ways - "P mags in the 'X and vice versa - dry firing in the store. Not so on the range but this is not necessarily a catastrophe (since the 'P is discontinued).

P' mags work in the 'X. 'X mags though, are a slosh larger (longer, front to back) than the P' mags presumably to correct the complaints of not handling some ammo out of the FNPs. The 'X mag fits in the 'P but in my testing they didn't run 100%. I tested this with Federal mil' match overruns which ran in everything but out of the FNP or FNX with the 'P mags; mag too short/ammo too long.

There's discussion at FN Forums about other differences, but with the two pistols side-by-side nothing is apparent other than the mag' related issues I mentioned. Holsters I bought for the 'P work for the 'X (kydex and leather-lined kydex). Depending on the maker, some kydex rigs for my Glock 21 will fit my FNP/X and mags and vice versa.

Until I could get more FNX mags - and they've become available here in SE PA off and on at $5 more than the old price of FNP mags (which I stocked up on) - I ran the 'P mags with my FNX with no issues. The going rate for 'X mags here is $50.

Both pistols are accurate and with the mag' issues noted above, reliable. I have not-large hands and I have no trouble with the flat backstrap installed. For reference, my 1911s have flat MSHs and long triggers.

Some folks have talked about inadvertently decocking the pistol. Hard to picture unless you ride the safety. Using either a Modern Isosceles/thumbs forward or the Modified Weaver/Chapman stance and grip I have been unable to induce this occurrence.

Hope this helps.

Ya thanks for the info!

markm
06-24-13, 09:55
These clowns on Gunbroker with starting bids of $100 for mags and $150 buy now prices. :lol:

Doc. Holiday
06-24-13, 10:52
And that surprises you?

markm
06-24-13, 11:01
And that surprises you?

A little. That's the Ban Era Glock High cap price. No one is buying of course.. even from the few guys that are offering $75 mags.

Doc. Holiday
06-24-13, 11:32
Ya, I don't expect to see normal prices for at least another 8 months.

G woody
06-25-13, 12:13
Right now Gallery of Guns has FNX45 magazines listed with 50 in stock. List for $50. I didn't click to see what you'd have to pay.:smile:

markm
06-25-13, 12:53
Right now Gallery of Guns has FNX45 magazines listed with 50 in stock. List for $50. I didn't click to see what you'd have to pay.:smile:

I can't figger out how to find those. All I get is gun options.

ryr8828
06-26-13, 06:40
I can't figger out how to find those. All I get is gun options.

Manufacturer and then magazines.

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/default.aspx?pg=mfg&mfg=FNH+USA

markm
06-26-13, 08:29
I noticed one thing about the FNX-45 that some might not like. Pappabear left a SF 300 whatever pistol light at my house, so I put it on the frame rail.

The trigger guard is SO long that it puts that light's switches really far forward and makes momentary activation a bitch.

I never run pistol mounted lights so I couldn't care less, but a lot of hipsters do.

mvician
06-29-13, 15:19
Yep, you have to have long monkey fingers to reach the switch.
I've got a TRL-1 HL on mine and activate it with my off hand thumb.

New holster arrived today from F.O.G. Holsters

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f240/mvician/FNX%2045/P1170949_zps1db35132.jpg (http://s48.photobucket.com/user/mvician/media/FNX%2045/P1170949_zps1db35132.jpg.html)

GNXII
06-29-13, 23:30
I've been looking for 10 round FNP 45ACP mags for 10months w/zero luck..WTF FN-USA???

Beachboy
07-02-13, 20:13
I've been running a Streamlight TLR-3 and hadn't noticed the amount of reach until you posted about it...

Pappabear
07-02-13, 21:23
Unfortunately, the best gun for running a light is the XD. I had an XD40 by my bed that ran great, had nights sights and the light was just the right distance. But of course I sold it. It was a five inch tactical, I numnutted out and sold it.

Got an M&P there now. Its good, but ergos for a light are not as good as the XD.

Squib308
08-14-16, 14:55
bumping this thread because I have an opportunity to acquire new FNX 45 at good price and wondering what have been peoples' experience with the FNX 45? i'm a huge fan of the Glock 21, HK 45 and Sig P227/P220 so not sure if the FNX 45 is a worthwhile addition. Thx everyone.

jrflyewr
08-14-16, 15:58
I find myself when spending a day at the range and having to choose between my 3 Glocks and FNX-45 to take with me..I go FNX 3 out of 4 times..fun,accurate and boringly reliable..buy with confidence

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Captiva
08-14-16, 21:26
After sitting in my hot car all day I can squeeze and squish the empty grip until the sides touch each other. Snaps right back to form, but it's weird.

Just like this:http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/08/10/flexible-fnx-magwell/

Doc. Holiday
08-14-16, 22:44
Ya mine definitely does not do that! That's really weird. Anyways. LOVE mine! Super accurate, amazing recoil control, and way fun to shoot! Do it!!

domestique
08-16-16, 01:46
After sitting in my hot car all day I can squeeze and squish the empty grip until the sides touch each other. Snaps right back to form, but it's weird.

Just like this:http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/08/10/flexible-fnx-magwell/

I had a FNX-tactical (FDE).

Mine wasn't that bad, but the magazines never dropped free (in cold or hot temps).... I tried really hard to love the pistol (was accurate, decent trigger, 13 round magazines) but the magazine issue was a no go for a defensive pistol. I ended up selling it for a loss and bought a HK45CT in LEM.

jrflyewr
08-16-16, 06:55
Mine has about the same give as a Glock in the magwell..never an issue..did have the mag drop problem but fixed it myself ..theres a thread over on FNForum on how to fix it..pretty simple

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

GNXII
08-16-16, 08:04
I posted in this thread before when I had issues finding mags but now the FNP-45 is sold. The issues I had were squishy grip when left in a car and worse the occasional "dead" trigger, i.e. Click no bang! It happened to different shooters w/ the same gun. Sent it back to FN and it was repaired but squishy grip was never addressed. I took a loss getting rid of it to a collector (with full disclosure in regards to issues I had!)who just had to have every JSAP candidate in .45ACP and there variations in his collection. While Ive never heard of any other squishy frame issues again, that alone would deter me from buying an FNX or FNS.i