PDA

View Full Version : HERA Arms H3 MAG AR-15 Magazine

scooter22
05-31-13, 01:22
Check it:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2013/05/30/hera-arms-h3-mag-ar-15-magazine/

Looks like it might be a viable option. Although the pricetag seems to be a little high ($24.95). I doubt it does anything that a Pmag can't.

I have no experience with Hera, but some of their Glock-SBR conversions look cool.

Mods, feel free to move/delete if necessary...

Freedoooom
05-31-13, 10:04
The comments are hilarious.

"This is worthless!"

Some stupid adapter for the iPhone for Night vision devices: "This is awesome!"

Swag
05-31-13, 11:02
Is it me or does it seem more like tactical bling?

Neville
05-31-13, 21:39
Why should it be tactical bling when the latest PMAG Gen is all great?

Shao
07-02-13, 13:29
OK, so I admit I picked one of these up since I was getting a linear comp from them for a problem pistol... and I have to say... it is freaking amazing. Of course I have no long-term report yet, but the fit and finish are absolutely flawless, it loads, unloads, and feeds like a pmag - when empty, still drops forcibly from every lower that I own, closes EASILY with a full 30 rounds on every closed bolt I've tried it on, has very little play in the magwell, nice strong looking and feeling anti-tilt follower, seems substantially stiffer than either a Pmag or Lancer while also seeming to weigh a little less than either of those - and is the exact same size of a Pmag. Ingenious takedown mechanism, strong spring, 480 rounds so far with 0 malfunctions and plus they look too cool for school. I will be picking up more. I hate to say it, but $24.95 is actually a decent price for these mags. Think of what people pay for a pistol grip... So far they seem superior to every other poly mag I've owned or handled. Only time will tell (and a torture test). Photos of one coming soon on my new pistol build (probably tonight).

plouffedaddy
07-02-13, 20:27
http://imageshack.us/a/img560/9471/b64z.jpg

Only a few rounds through mine so far. They felt a little 'chinsy' (for lack of a better word) at first but so did PMAGs the first time I picked one up and they proved my initial assumptions wrong many years ago. We'll see how these do; stay tuned for a report....

High Tower
07-02-13, 21:57
Interesting. Did youse guys get them from Lan World Tactical or somewhere else?

kiwi57
07-06-13, 13:13
Purchased a pair of these Hera magazines on line and picked them up 2 weeks ago out of curiosity, primarily because LAN is local to me. I've been to the range twice and only put 60 rounds (IMI 55 gr) through each of them. Initial impression is not promising.

Mag bodies are slick with only slight texture on the front section. Certainly won't expedite magazine changes. Difficult to insert on a closed bolt with 30 rounds. My first session revealed them to very sensitive to resting the carbine on the mag. Failure to lock the bolt back with the last round resulted when I did so. They do drop freely from my 6920, Palmetto, and BCM lowers and insert without difficulty on an open bolt.

On the second trip I had double feeds midway through each mag. Not sure if there was pressure on the bottom of the magazine. These early deficiencies stand out as my carbines have had zero problems with Pmags, Colt, Troy, D&H, and Fusil magazines. My take is that these are a ridiculously expensive ($25.00) curiosity only (large window along the back spine of dubious value) and will not enter my mag rotation.

Shao
07-06-13, 13:23
Interesting. Did youse guys get them from Lan World Tactical or somewhere else?

Lan World... Sorry to hear about your bad experiences with the mags Kiwi. I must admit that my impressions were based on a sample size of exactly one, so I have no idea how their QC is. HERA's linear comp is a work of art. Back to the mags - I'd have to buy more to make a more reasonable assesment. Mine has been 100% perfect as of yet. I'm going to take it out to the woods tonight to drop another 480 or so through it to see if I can make a magazine-related malfunction occur.

kiwi57
07-06-13, 16:18
Shao,

PM and email sent.

kiwi57

Shao
07-10-13, 09:05
Shao,

PM and email sent.

kiwi57

Interesting Kiwi... I only managed to get eight more flawless loadings through it and after close inspection I can detect no damage whatsoever. Maybe you got a couple from a bad lot? Lanworld will take care of you - their customer service from what I've experienced is top notch. Please keep us updated.

kiwi57
07-14-13, 09:16
I discovered the reason for problems with my two new Hera Magazines. While inspecting the mags I found cracks to the rear right feed lips (see photos). The problems included failure to lock back on an empty mag with the carbine (6920, BCM, and PSA) while resting on the mag and 2 double feeds midway through the mag with no pressure on the mags. Total of 60 bench rounds through each mag. IMI 55 gr ammo loaded to 30 rounds.

Contacted LAN World, Inc. who asked me to return the mags for a full refund. Dropped them off yesterday (LAN is local to me). Upon inspection, the follower was riding too high so it appears there is a problem beyond the feed lip cracks. LAN was very interested in correcting the problem and will send them in to Hera. Because others have had no problems with these, it may be that these issues are limited to the two mags I purchased, not sure. I only bought these out of curiosity and I think I'll stick with Pmags, Troy, BCM D&H, and Colt mags.

Photos include a Gen 2 Pmag and Troy mag for comparison:

Shao
07-14-13, 13:10
Oof, what a mess. I'll use nothing but my H3 for practice from now on and will report if mine exhibits any of the same defects. I've used mine in a CMT lower 7" pistol and a NT Defense lower 16" BCM middy and after a quick wipe down they still look brand new. Yours would seem to be an isolated incident for now as everyone that's used them thinks they're the tits. That sucks man.

ZINCOGNITO
07-14-13, 22:40
Thanks for your experiences gents. I was looking to try a couple of these out but I'll hold out for more reviews.

lunchbox
07-14-13, 22:46
A little off topic but.. I know its a real PITA to ship AR parts out of the country. How easy is it for them to ship/import "parts" in?

kiwi57
07-15-13, 08:50
I have no knowledge about this. Perhaps Industry Partners/Authorized Dealers can comment.

Safetyhit
07-15-13, 09:03
Thanks for your experiences gents. I was looking to try a couple of these out but I'll hold out for more reviews.

If you're thinking about them why not get some now and then offer a review? I'd be interested in your results and certainly others would be as well.

RogerinTPA
07-15-13, 10:31
With the amount of high quality mags available at pre-sandy hook prices, I see no logical or practical reason to obtain these mags, unless it's out of pure idle curiosity. I tend to stick with proven quality across the board, unless I need a minimum substitute for an extremely needy circumstance, until a quality replacement can be obtained.

Other than be a volunteer beta tester, what exactly are you trying to determine in these mags, that existing quality mags don't?

Safetyhit
07-15-13, 10:56
With the amount of high quality mags available at pre-sandy hook prices, I see no logical or practical reason to obtain these mags, unless it's out of pure idle curiosity. I tend to stick with proven quality across the board, unless I need a minimum substitute for an extremely needy circumstance, until a quality replacement can be obtained.

Other than be a volunteer beta tester, what exactly are you trying to determine in these mags, that existing quality mags don't?

Think I recall this stance being taken by many when P-Mags were initially introduced.

RogerinTPA
07-15-13, 12:51
Think I recall this stance being taken by many when P-Mags were initially introduced.

The problem was, truth be told, there really wasn't that many quality mag manufacturers in existence for the AR, other than colt, nor were there any means to determine what a quality product was, short of gunshop clerk, bubba talk at the range or gun magazines, all being unreliable. Today, there's no excuse.

markm
07-15-13, 13:13
I've kinda been turned off to trying new plastic after the Tango Down and Lancers. I personally had a turd TD, and saw a few Lancer perfrom marginally.

I don't even buy pmags anymore honestly. I have a handfull and use them... but it's back to USGIs anymore for me.

Grand58742
07-15-13, 16:30

But then again, there would be little to no reason to attempt to create anything new if everyone had this philosophy. Like our conversation before about the Elanders, never hurts to give something new a try instead of shitting in my hat and wearing it as you put it. Someone took a chance on Magpul and Lancer and both of those are good to go now.

Without at least trying a new product and giving feedback to the manufacturer, you stifle innovation.

kiwi57
09-14-13, 16:44
I posted previously about my experience with HERA magazines purchased from LAN World in SLC. I personally returned the HERA magazines and received a prompt refund in July. Today the USPS dropped off a package from LAN that I wasn't expecting; it contained 2 new HERA 5.56 Black 30rd polymer windowed magazines and an invoice with a zero balance.

Looks like I was sent these gratis. I won't have time for a couple weeks to give them another try, but I thought I would let folks know about an example of over the top customer service from LAN World and HERA. Pretty impressed, and I hope my magazine problems were isolated to my first sample.

http://www.lanworldinc.com/index.php

kiwi57

duece71
09-15-13, 05:37
Looks like a Magpul spin off copy. I'd say all of the low hanging fruit in the AR world has been picked. Do we really need another magazine manufacturer?

kiwi57
09-15-13, 09:02
However, I guess I'm inclined to agree with Safetyhit and Grand58742. We currently have great products, including GI mags, that meet the needs of end users for what, in the end, I consider a consumable. If these new mags offer little that suggests innovation or enhanced reliability, function, or durability at a reasonable price, the market will be unkind. It is also possible that certain sub-attributes of an overall poorly executed new product may bear adoption and improvement by manufacturers of current proven products. Impossible to say at this point, and my interest in these mags (despite a disappointing first experience) remains fueled only by curiosity and the fact that LAN is located just a few miles away.

I'm a pretty firm believer that the free market can be relied upon to sort these things out. I think this discussion reflects my belief. In the meantime, I will give the HERA mags another try, but it is pretty unlikely I'll pull out my wallet. With our current high quality mag offerings, the bar is set pretty high.

kiwi57

Arctic1
09-15-13, 11:32
I wonder what the AR-15 FOW would be like today, if innovation (new products) was looked at with the same skepticism shown here, some 50 years ago.

If no one had spent all the time and energy required to get where we are now, in terms of rails, Furniture (grips and stocks), triggers, barrels, selector switches, lube dynamics and so forth.

Would the weapon be what it is now?

Sure, maybe 80% or more of the products that are released are real turds, with no real tangible benefit one way or the other. Natural selection has a way of fixing that too. But if a few products show up that are good, that is a good thing.

But if we are suddenly content, no progress will be made.

My job has a few of these mags on the way, and I will try one out. I don't even know if it will fit in an HK416. It might be a turd, or it might work out fine and feed the weapon reliably. I also have PMAG M3's, HK steel mags and USGI mags....I try not to get too attached. If they work, they work. When they stop working, bin them.

High Tower
09-15-13, 16:47
I wonder what the AR-15 FOW would be like today, if innovation (new products) was looked at with the same skepticism shown here, some 50 years ago.

I'm convinved that if the internet was around c. 1815 we would all still be using flintlock muskets.

Cylinder Head
10-09-13, 16:53
I just picked up some of these at LAN world and will be playing with them over the next few weeks. I will post a report!

Shao
12-20-13, 07:22
I just picked up some of these at LAN world and will be playing with them over the next few weeks. I will post a report!

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but where's the report? I've probably dumped about 480-500 more rounds through mine and it's still functioning flawlessly. I keep waiting for it to crack on me but alas - it still looks great and does its job without any hiccups. Kiwi - have you had a chance to check out your replacement mags?

EDIT: I've also read that there are different revisions of this mag - mine has an anti-tilt follower for example whereas in many of the reviews I've read, they do not... Interesting...

Cylinder Head
12-21-13, 00:25
Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but where's the report? I've probably dumped about 480-500 more rounds through mine and it's still functioning flawlessly. I keep waiting for it to crack on me but alas - it still looks great and does its job without any hiccups. Kiwi - have you had a chance to check out your replacement mags?

EDIT: I've also read that there are different revisions of this mag - mine has an anti-tilt follower for example whereas in many of the reviews I've read, they do not... Interesting...

Forgot about this thread, sorry for the complete omission. My H3's have run great, I have about a thousand rounds through four of them and they are good to go. Mine have the anti-tilt follower as well. Great mags, maybe there was a bad run early on but mine are absolutely solid.

kiwi57
12-21-13, 11:40

I've been remiss in reporting back on the function of my gratis Hera magazines from LAN. I've taken one of the free replacements out to the range on two occasions with about 120 rounds through it. No problems so far. The followers look similar to the first ones I had problems with, but limited function testing is certainly better. LAN's customer service was very good--prompt refund--and the free replacements were above and beyond what I'd expected.

On another note about LAN, I purchased a Noveske chainsaw stripped lower online intending to transfer through LAN. I screwed up LAN's FFL address and despite my corrective email, the retailer sent the lower directly to me. I drove out to LAN to do the transfer and they were pretty surprised by the fact that the retailer sent this without confirming/correcting the FFL address. They contacted the retailer to let them know and then did the transfer without charging me. Regardless of how things turn out with the Hera mags, LAN has proven, in my limited experience, to be a business that goes the extra mile regarding customer service. Disclaimer: I have no relation to, or knowledge of, anyone who owns or works at LANWORLD.

kiwi57

plouffedaddy
12-21-13, 19:08
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/6/xvbx.png (https://imageshack.com/i/06xvbxp)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/208/zczd.png (https://imageshack.com/i/5szczdp)

I've been using mine every weekend since I got the updated versions (had to send the originals back). So far 0 issues at all with the replacements. I'll have a review up whenever I feel comfortable enough that they're good to go. So far so good though.

Doc. Holiday
01-29-14, 12:19
Just an update. I was at LAN World yesterday evening and Hera has 20 rounders that should be on the shelves next week and 10 rounders next month. Seem pretty solid. I might pick up a few just to see.

pentosinjunkie
01-29-14, 13:16
Looks like a Magpul spin off copy. I'd say all of the low hanging fruit in the AR world has been picked. Do we really need another magazine manufacturer?

EDIT : In reviewing the thread, I realized that this wasn't the thread I was thinking of - one where this mag was crapped upon for being an infringement of Magpul's IP.

"We" don't need another polymer mag, per se. The German gun owning public, however, does - apparently they cannot get/Magpul does not sell Pmags over there. Hera is a German company, if I am not mistaken. I think this is the element missed by most of the participants in this thread.

As a somewhat relevant example, an archived thread here concerns the Oberland Arms G-Mag (direct Pmag copy) : https://www.m4carbine.net/archive/index.php/t-99414.html

[QUOTE=]
____
Magpul [Industry Partner]6/16/2009 1:44:42 AM
In short the Oberland Arms' GMAG magazine is a German reversed engineered version of the PMag.

That said Oberland Arms did inform us of their intent to copy the PMag and we expressed no interest in taking the matter to court so long as GMags we not imported into the US and/or there was no confusion in the marketplace.

Magpul did not license the design nor did we give any technical information on how to build the PMag . As such we do not receive any funds from GMAG sales.

So our "approval" comes from being inactive on the issue in Germany.

Because Oberland received no technical information they were unaware of the newer M rev PMag until it was publicly released at SHOT show. This is why their version is based on the earlier PMag design.

They also had to estimate what materials were used and how the entire molding process was put together. We will not comment on their results because that might be seen as giving information, but needless to say there are notable differences in materials and final geometry between the PMag and GMag.

This is not the first time elements of the PMag have been copied and so long as the GMag is serving only the German market we wish them the best. [/QOUTE]

Now, if the mags themselves are garbage, then shame on Hera.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD