PDA

View Full Version : Self Defense and You. Do you know the law?

Iraqgunz
05-31-13, 01:58
In light of the recent shooting in Oregon and others that have happened I am genuinely curious to know something. Specifically I want to know if our members here have actually done research into their own states' laws in regards to the use of force.

Please do not respond to this if you think you know. I also don't want to have people post their states' laws. I simply want answers to the poll.

Alaskapopo
05-31-13, 02:03
Yes and I learned them well before I was a cop as a CCW holder in College.
Pat

SteyrAUG
05-31-13, 03:15
Vote to get them passed in most cases, aware of the ones that apply to me and do my best to stay current.

polymorpheous
05-31-13, 03:22
Right after WI passed it CCW law, I took a class on WI use of deadly force laws. It included some live fire time as well.
I later took my CCW class from the same instructor who reinforced the laws and the newly passed castle law in the course.

The instructor is a member of this board and a Milwaukee PD sergeant.
Good people.

Alpha Sierra
05-31-13, 04:07
I review the Ohio Revised Code several times a year and keep with legislative updates through the Buckeye Firearms Association.

It's scary how ignorant and/or stupid so many are. All one needs to do to verify that is read through the Ohioans For Concealed Carry forums and then bounce many of the statements made there against the ORC.

Todd00000
05-31-13, 05:31
Yes, and what I learned in the last state I lived in, NJ, was that the written law and how it was enforced were two different things. Based on LEO advice I used FMJ rounds in my bedside Glock even though hollow points were technically legal. My point is not only research the laws but how they are being enforced.

RalphK.
05-31-13, 05:51
I get a refresher every 6 months ;)

Sensei
05-31-13, 06:34
Yes, and what I learned in the last state I lived in, NJ, was that the written law and how it was enforced were two different things. Based on LEO advice I used FMJ rounds in my bedside Glock even though hollow points were technically legal. My point is not only research the laws but how they are being enforced.

A very good point that some people learn the hard way.

The_War_Wagon
05-31-13, 06:38
PA adopted Castle Doctrine a couple of years ago - if YOUR state doesn't have it, I'd be lobbying my local tax vacuums (elected officials) hard to adopt it!

Scoby
05-31-13, 07:00
Yes.

Learned them from my long time friend who is a CCW instructor at the time of my class and reviewed SC laws on my own as well.

William B.
05-31-13, 07:17
Yes. The first thing I did when I found out I was moving to Ohio was to start researching firearms laws.

ICANHITHIMMAN
05-31-13, 07:23
IG
would you please cite the "Oregon" situation? I missed it and am unsure of the context all though I can infer from the question.

William B.
05-31-13, 07:30
IG
would you please cite the "Oregon" situation? I missed it and am unsure of the context all though I can infer from the question.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=132065

rackham1
05-31-13, 09:55
Yes, I research and review my statutes at least once a year. Also re-read the neighboring state's code because I have a separate carry permit there as well. Only do that every couple years though. Should probably be more often.

SteyrAUG
05-31-13, 14:04
For FL residents this is an excellent resource.

http://www.floridafirearmslaw.com/

His book "Florida Firearms -- Law, Use & Ownership" should be read by every gun owner in this state.

Frailer
05-31-13, 14:32
Hopefully this poll will encourage those who haven't researched their state's laws to do so.

I'm glad you used the phrase "use of force" rather than "self defense." Situations where use of lethal force in self defense would be justified could well result in a long prison sentence if the same force is used in defense of others.

PA PATRIOT
05-31-13, 16:38
L/E's who carry under the Federal law through out the country really need to stay abreast of the CCW requirements and the UODF laws for the states they visit. It appears the officers training of home state rules and legal UODF requirements does not transfer into traveled states and in most incidents must follow civilian restrictions in regards to the UODF unless taking direct action during a commission of a violent felony.

I research my commonly traveled states CCW & UODF laws every month now that many states have been adding or changing CCW & UODF laws ever few weeks. While being exempt from the CCW restrictions on guns and ammo imposed by the different states I don't want to be a test case should I have to defend myself or my family so I voluntarily conform to what ever restrictions a state may have on CCW firearms.

Now mostly over the years the gun laws have stayed stable or improved and nothing really changed much until nine months ago when a steady influx of new or modified laws occurred which changed the gun game in multiple states. I try to stay informed but its been a real bitch as much as the laws have been changing weekly.

Moose-Knuckle
05-31-13, 16:46
The law firm I keep on retainer specializes in self-defense case law sends monthly newsletters and updates on any new legislation and or changes to current laws. They also host seminars in various regions of the state that are a Q&A with attorneys and LE.