PDA

View Full Version : Newish LaRue rail offering

potentmix
05-31-13, 04:08
Hi all,
So I started a thread not to long ago about a special edition LaRue rifle called the 'ranger edition':

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=129631

...the rifle features a quick-disconnect hand guard allowing the operator to quickly change the barrel. Anyways I was scrolling through LaRue's website while dreaming of how cool it'd be to own one...and noticed that they'll be incorporating the new rail attachment system into the PredatOBR whenever they decide to release it:

http://www.laruetactical.com/larue-tactical-161-inch-predatobr%E2%84%A2-556

...does this mean you'll be able to quick-change the barrel on it? And if so, do you guys think that it'll somehow be of benefit to the PredatOBR?...although I do really like how it slims down the rail's profile ever so slightly...

scooter22
05-31-13, 05:13
I wonder what the weight is?

Looks neat. I would like to get my hands on one, but looking at the current LaRue schedule...

kwelz
05-31-13, 11:05
Is that a QD rail...... Forgive me but I don't think I really see the point of that.

Jdbl14
05-31-13, 11:17
Is that a QD rail...... Forgive me but I don't think I really see the point of that.

You really didn't take the time to read the OP, did you? He was specifically interested in if the qd rail system facilitates a quick swap barrel..

If the rail can hold a consistent zero for lasers, and they have a good quick change barrel set up, I could definitely see this as a positive idea.

The AR-15 is already so modular I guess rail systems are logically next up.

justin_247
05-31-13, 11:58
If the barrel is QD, as well, this would be an awesome take-down rifle.

WickedWillis
05-31-13, 14:44
That was along my thought lines as well LaRue is a fantastic manufacturer, so i would expect nothing but the best.

If the barrel is QD, as well, this would be an awesome take-down rifle.

justin_247
05-31-13, 18:18
It's not quite a "quick change" barrel, although it appears to certainly be faster than a regular AR. It has a proprietary barrel nut and comes with a special wrench. Once you torque the barrel down, you just latch on the rail with two latches.

I'm interested.

It's QD so that you can quickly swap out the barrel and still maintain zero.

justin_247
05-31-13, 18:54
On another note, if this is it, then I am less than impressed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EwdcGtn4Xs

CFII
05-31-13, 19:03

Nope. Thats an older prototype variant.

potentmix
05-31-13, 19:26
Nope. Thats an older prototype variant.

Haha yeah that looks like they simply grabbed a 7.62 predatAR, threw in a couple tools and...it's a suitcase rifle!

I am also curious as to why the 5.56mm predatOBR will be chambered in 5.56 NATO as opposed to LaRue's usual .223 Wylde.

K1tt3n5
06-01-13, 00:31

Ya, that was painful to watch.

Iraqgunz
06-01-13, 01:51
That was a terrible video and doesn't inspire confidence. I can't really see any practical benefit to a quick change barrel. They should have at least had a vise mounted on the table.

jpmuscle
06-01-13, 01:59
This begs to question if technology can give us a true take down rifle a la the Nemesis (http://www.nemesisarms.com/nemesis_arms_videos.html) why cant this be accomplished in a similar manner in the AR platform. A QD rail offering such as that from LaRue with a improved QD barrel nut design would seem to be a viable solution I would think.

LTMattyL
06-01-13, 03:17
Ya, that was painful to watch.

I couldn't agree more.

I am still trying to grasp what advantage this set up provides. I could see some utility to change calibers, but you will still need to rezero...or at least change your optic.

Iraqgunz
06-01-13, 04:49
Exactly what I was thinking. I would just prefer a second upper that is ready to drop into place.

I couldn't agree more.

I am still trying to grasp what advantage this set up provides. I could see some utility to change calibers, but you will still need to rezero...or at least change your optic.

Larry Vickers
06-01-13, 05:06
You guys are now tackling the 'why' and the 'what' ; 'why' do I really need a quick change barrel ( or rail) capability and 'what' is it going to give me that I really need and don't already have

I have been wondering this since the QCB assault rifle craze started awhile back - if you figure out the 'why' and the ' what' please make sure you let me know; because I sure haven't

This just looks like the latest thing to add to the list

Stickman
06-01-13, 12:01
You guys are now tackling the 'why' and the 'what' ; 'why' do I really need a quick change barrel ( or rail) capability and 'what' is it going to give me that I really need and don't already have

I have been wondering this since the QCB assault rifle craze started awhile back - if you figure out the 'why' and the ' what' please make sure you let me know; because I sure haven't

This just looks like the latest thing to add to the list

Wait a minute, are you saying you never needed to quick change your rail in combat? The next thing you will say is that assaulters don't carry QD barrels on their person... :D

Biggy
06-01-13, 13:25
To each his own, but I would rather just pull two pins and add another complete pre-zeroed upper.

strambo
06-01-13, 14:17
As an MRP owner, the "why" is because I can have a 10.5" SBR and a 16" match barrel and just quick change the barrel and optic (on a Larue mount). Saves $ by keeping the upper, light, rail covers, grip, backup irons the same, along with the benefits of the monolithic upper. I can only shoot 1 rifle at any given time anyway. (It saves money as compared to a separate SPR/Recce type upper setup or completely separate SPR/Recce type rifle)

It also allows different caliber options for a very low cost of entry...if I was a hunter, this would be a great feature.

There is no need to ever "quick change" a barrel that I can see..."conveniently change" is nice. Of course, having separate uppers or even rifles works as well, just costs more.

I don't see a military need for it (and neither does the military), I guess you could issue one platform and set up the rifle before a mission for anything from CQB to SPR...but it isn't enough of a benefit to justify the costs of switching from the current M4.

jonconsiglio
06-01-13, 18:53
I would like a 7.62 PredatOBR. This quick change stuff means nothing to me. But, just in case some of you didn't see it, there's an excerpt from the description below.

Will return with 0 to .5 MOA shift and is meant to be broken down for carry, apparently.

The most remarkable feature of the PredatOBR is its ability to be completely “broken down” and stored into the supplied Roll-Bag and Tool Box. The PredatOBR handguard has a locking stainless steel QD Lever system on each side. Once the levers are released, the handguard slides off of the upper assembly in seconds. The PredatOBR's barrel can easily be removed with the supplied PredatOBR Barrel Wrench, unscrew the Barrel Nut from Receiver and pull the Barrel Assembly free from Receiver. No need to remove the gas tube, gas block or muzzle device. Reverse the process to reinstall. Hand-tighten Barrel Nut and torque approximately 1/8-turn past hand-tight (Approximately 40-50 foot pounds). Once reassembled correctly, the point of impact (POI) shift will be 0.0 to 0.5 MOA of the original.

skywalkrNCSU
06-01-13, 22:51
As an MRP owner, the "why" is because I can have a 10.5" SBR and a 16" match barrel and just quick change the barrel and optic (on a Larue mount). Saves $ by keeping the upper, light, rail covers, grip, backup irons the same, along with the benefits of the monolithic upper. I can only shoot 1 rifle at any given time anyway. (It saves money as compared to a separate SPR/Recce type upper setup or completely separate SPR/Recce type rifle)

It also allows different caliber options for a very low cost of entry...if I was a hunter, this would be a great feature.

There is no need to ever "quick change" a barrel that I can see..."conveniently change" is nice. Of course, having separate uppers or even rifles works as well, just costs more.

I don't see a military need for it (and neither does the military), I guess you could issue one platform and set up the rifle before a mission for anything from CQB to SPR...but it isn't enough of a benefit to justify the costs of switching from the current M4.

This sounds like a pretty solid reason to me, I would like to have something similar to this as you could basically have the same setup with just different barrels and optics and the switch would be pretty easy. A lot cheaper than having different uppers. Wouldn't you have to retorque the barrel nut down each time though? If that part was quick connect/disconnect as well that would be pretty nice.

potentmix
06-01-13, 23:48

...actually yeah. And I'd find it nice to be able to shoot 300black with a quick barrel change, rather than having to build a new upper (which I've been considering doing at some point). This would be a temperary solution though...eventually I would end up building at least a separate upper if not an entire rifle, as I believe it would make each system function better and more smoothly the more complete they each are. I also think a bolt carrier would hold up better with a dedicated caliber, as opposed to running it 5.56 back-to-back with 300black

Hoss356
06-02-13, 02:41
I see a new problem that this system would introduce. Wear on the aluminum threads of the upper receiver from repetitive disassembling and re-assembly/torquing of the barrel nut. It is cool, in a James Bond/Hollywood movie kinda way, but the added wear on one of the most critical points you want to keep tight on these rifles is enough to steer me away. I can save money elsewhere.

jonconsiglio
06-02-13, 09:10
While this isn't a feature I'd use, I don't see having it and not using it as a negative in any way. I can't imagine why it would steer anyone away from the rifle, just don't use that particular feature. Or, buy it without if possible.

strambo
06-02-13, 10:42
I would like to know more about the LaRue system, the MRP seems to be a lot better mousetrap for a QD barrel at this time and doesn't wear on any receiver threads.

scottryan
06-02-13, 19:27
QD barrel is a waste of time and is a solution for a problem that doesn't exist.

The path of least resistance is to get another gun in the long run.

The whole "return to zero" buzz line is bullshit also.

I don't care if it is only off by 1" after I reinstall. It is still off. It might as well be 12" off as I still have to re-zero and haul all my shit out to the range to re-zero.

jonconsiglio
06-02-13, 19:44
I've had two SCARs and an LMT MRP, all offer a "quick change" barrel. I've never once had a valid reason for removing a barrel. As I mentioned before, it's a feature I do not have any use for.

scoutfsu99
06-02-13, 20:08
Probably because you can't get any spare barrels for a SCAR right now unless God shines a light down on you;) I regularly used the extra barrels for my MRP.

This aspect of the OBR seems less like a "feature" and more of a storage perk. If you're not interested in the features of the Larue rifle, then by all means, move on.

jonconsiglio
06-02-13, 20:37
Probably because you can't get any spare barrels for a SCAR right now unless God shines a light down on you;) I regularly used the extra barrels for my MRP.

This aspect of the OBR seems less like a "feature" and more of a storage perk. If you're not interested in the features of the Larue rifle, then by all means, move on.

Touché

strambo
06-02-13, 22:55
QD barrel is a waste of time and is a solution for a problem that doesn't exist.
Well, not having a QD barrel isn't a problem...so it isn't a solution either, just a feature that a user may, or may not, want.

The whole "return to zero" buzz line is bullshit also.

I don't care if it is only off by 1" after I reinstall. It is still off. It might as well be 12" off as I still have to re-zero and haul all my shit out to the range to re-zero.

It either returns to zero or it doesn't.

Why would being a hypothetical 1 MOA off matter anyway? For a military or LE sniper, sure, "if" I was issued a QD barrel rifle, and "if" I needed to change the barrel, and "if" it proved to be off by a MOA...then, yes, I would re-zero.

However; for a defensive-type AR, 1 MOA isn't gonna make a whit of difference at any reasonable combat range (under combat conditions) to include HD, Katrina type SHTF, or overseas in either recent combat theater. If for some hypothetical reason I had an MRP in a combat zone, and reason to use the QD barrel feature, I wouldn't re-zero over a MOA shift or less. Heck, weather changes can have more effect then 1 MOA, and I never considered temp/humidity differences from zero conditions when patrolling with an M4.

Further, maybe I just suck, but except from a bench or bipod, I can't hold to 1 MOA or less so a shift of 1 MOA or less would be completely absorbed by the rifle/ammo, 2-4 MOA dot, shooter/position etc. Sure, I guess the errors could stack, so if I'm holding to 3 MOA with a 2 MOA rifle/ammo, plus the 1 MOA QD barrel shift, and they all error-stack in the same direction, then at 300yds (well beyond average combat range and any defensive scenario I can think of) I guess that shot impacts ~9" from COM.

I'm struggling to see how a minor POI shift (of a MOA or less) from a QD barrel is a problem at all in anything other than a sniper application.

jayband
06-03-13, 13:30
I've been looking for a gooseneck LT lately, anyone knows the availability?