PDA

View Full Version : When considering a mid-sized polymer 45...G30S an option?

brickboy240
05-31-13, 10:13
I have been looking heavily, at getting a mid-sized polymer 45 pistol.

I really like the overall quality of the HK45C, but it IS a d/a-s/a and I am really used to striker fired platforms (seeing I have a G19, G17 and G22).

I also looked at the mid-sized M&P45 and that too seems like a decent option for the price. The 45 M&P's don't seem plagued with the accuracy demons that the full-sized 9mm M&P's seem to get.

I also recently examined the new Glock 30S. This version of the G30 seems slimmer in the slide and very close in size (not thickness) to my G19.

Does anybody own a G30S...yet? How is it on the reliability scale?

I know the G36 has it's issues. Personally...I have borrowed 2 G36s and they both shot very well. The G30 seems to be about as stable and trouble free as the G21. It would stand to reason that the G30S would be a pretty reliable and trustworthy beast but I know nobody that owns one or even a G30.

So what say you? Is the G30S a good option for one looking for a mid-sized polymer 45?

I like the overall feel of Glocks better than M&Ps and am not cool on the HK45C's d/a-s/a and it's very high price.

Any opinions on the G30S would be appreciated...I am still in the very early research mode on getting a polymer mid-sized 45.

Thanks!

Brickboy240

PS: my current 45 line up consists of 5" 1911s and an older SIG P220

Grip
05-31-13, 12:49
I handeled a G30s. It feels exactly like a G19, and fits in G19 holsters.

I just dislike the mag extension to make the frame G19 length. Seems like the easy way out to build a compact sized .45

C4IGrant
05-31-13, 12:53
I think it is probably a solid choice in that size group.

Question for you, is this for CCW/CCH? If so, why a 45 caliber pistol (just curious).

C4

STAMarine
05-31-13, 13:11
I have a 45c that's single action only and I'm very happy with it. I think it's version 9. Not to influence your decision at all but there is other options besides DA/SA.

BoringGuy45
05-31-13, 15:01
I handeled a G30s. It feels exactly like a G19, and fits in G19 holsters.

I just dislike the mag extension to make the frame G19 length. Seems like the easy way out to build a compact sized .45

I never understood that. Why not just make the G30 frame longer and put it into the "compact" category? Of course, if you ask Glock, they'd probably give an answer along the lines of, "Yeah, but these go to 11!"

Guinnessman
05-31-13, 15:12
I have a full size M&P .45 and would definitely consider buying a Mid-size if the Apex parts smooth out my trigger. The out of the box trigger on my gun is absolutely atrocious, and it has to be at least 8 plus pounds.

My M&P may be a Mass. model, but after a Google search on my SKU number it does not specify that information. I plan on calling S&W to find out. The SKU is 109556.

Symmetry
05-31-13, 15:16
PS: my current 45 line up consists of 5" 1911s and an older SIG P220

Sounds like you've already got several different trigger and platform configurations to master.

My thoughts on the HK45 and P30 are that they remind me a lot of the classic DA/SA Sigs in how they shoot. The triggers and erogos are a little different, but for most shooters I've found that their muscle memory carries over between the two pretty well. I use an old school P220 on duty, and the P30s and HK45s that I have shot have been a breeze to shoot well.

If you shoot your P220 well, most likely you will also shoot the HK45c well.

Dave James
05-31-13, 15:38
IF I was looking for one to carry CCW all the time and had more money than sense I would have Dave Bowie do his majic to the model 21, chop the grip to fit the model 30 mag's rebased with the 21 floor plates, gives you the full grip close to the 19 type and as far as I concerned 10 rounds is enough to start with

brickboy240
05-31-13, 15:56
I want it mostly for concealed carry but these days...I admit...I carry mostly in my Maxpedition Gear laptop case. So a tiny pistol is not anything that appeals to me.

Also, I have borrowed a G26 and an M&P9C and to be honest...I cannot hit as well with the smaller autos than with something in the G19 size range.

I am totally comfortable carrying a 3rd gen G19 in my Raven Phantom holster. With careful clothes selection...I seem to hide it well.

Since I have been heavily "invested" in the 45ACP round for a long time...I have decided to try out a 45 caliber carry pistol that would be about the size of the G19.

Until recently...I blew off the smaller 45s. The "officers" sized 1911s were just too iffy on feeding and there were not many decent choices.

The HK45 is a fine pistol...I will give it that. However...I really want to stay away from d/a-s/a and it's price and mag availability makes it less appealing.

The M&P45 fits nice in the hands. I have only shot a full size M&P45 and it shot really well...minus the trigger (that was missing its re-set feel). The mid sized M&P45 is still appealing though.

This leaves the G30S. I have three other Glocks and love the platform...so it SEEMS like the logical choice. However...I just don't know anyone that has one nor is there a range nearby that has one to rent.

-brickboy240

WickedWillis
05-31-13, 16:26
The GLock 30 is one of the most accurate Glocks out of the box. Solid, handles recoil well. I have not had a chance to shoot or even handle the G30s, but I would imagine it is great. The 30 in my opinion is the smallest I would go with a handgun chambered in .45 ACP. It really is a great shooting firearm. Plus, it accepts the G21 (13+1) and the Kriss 33-round mags for some added fun.

shakazulu12
05-31-13, 16:38
I've only handled the 30s and not shot it. One thing I really like is with the 9 round flush magazines, it shrinks up considerably as far as height. I'm also debating this one as well. Can't decide if the slightly slimmer slide is what I want, or just the regular G30. For some reason, I feel like the added heft (there is a noticeable weight difference, my guess is 4 ounces or so) might make the regular 30 easier to shoot (which I have shot and love).

PD Sgt.
05-31-13, 17:42
If the M&P .45 midsize is an option, you may want to consider the M&P .45 compact. It is an 8+1, and comes in at about the same size as a G-19. It has a rail that allows for full size weaponlights (if that is a consideration), can use the higher capacity magazines from the full and mid-size, and has the adjustable backstraps.

Mine has proven itself to be accurate and 100% reliable so far with factory ammo and handloads.

ST911
05-31-13, 18:48
I spent some time with a G30S, and posted thoughts here...

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=127077

If I were buying one of the compact Glock 45s, it would be the G30S. I defer to others on comparisons to HKs, M&Ps.

filthy phil
05-31-13, 18:53
30s hard to come by in these parts

williejc
05-31-13, 19:01
My M&P midsize for me is too bulky to conceal carry easily. Age and arthritis may be factors. I'm 6'2" and 225. The Glk 19 does much better.

naloxone
05-31-13, 20:24
So far, it's just another boring Glock. Only a few hundred rounds through it at this point, enough that I trust it but not enough to brag.

The grip on the M&P45M is about 1/2-3/4" longer. The 45C is the closest M&P size-wise.

ffhounddog
05-31-13, 22:46
You can get a HK45c and a USP Compact in 45 with the LEM trigger. Might be an option if you had your heart set on the HK45c.

brickboy240
06-03-13, 11:31
Actually...I really keep my auto pistol configurations to 1911/s-a style and striker fired Glocks. The P220 is something I inherited and rarely shoot. The other 9mm I have is an old Hi-Power (that I also never carry) so really....I have stuck to s/a autos and striker fired autos.

Yeah, the G30S might seem "boring" but if it is Glock "boring like my G19, G17 and G22...that is cool with me. Glock boring means reliable and not finicky.

The Glock 30S is also a rare bird around here but I can order one.

It just seemed like a decent choice...especially since I am sort of "married" to the Glock platform and don't want to change or add another manual of arms.

I borrowed a P-30 once, that had the LEM trigger. That seemed very odd to me. Better than most USP triggers I have tried in the past...but odd.

-brickboy240

Maverick07
06-03-13, 21:26
I picked up a blue label Glock 30S with night sights about three months ago after I grew tired of my G19 Gen4 leaving me with cresent shaped smudge marks on my forehead after a day of shooting. It was becoming a distraction and a training issue. I am not one to fix what should not have be fixed so I traded it in on the 30S. It is my now EDC after working out a little over 300 rounds without a hitch.

The G30S handles very well and points excellent. It weighs the same as G19 and has a similar slide profile to the 19 as well. The frame is a touch wider so the fit in 19 holsters is dependant on the maker. In all, it is very close the size and weight of the G19, only in .45. I added the Pearce floorplates and it gives it just a touch more contact surface for pinky finger.

Recoil is snappier than the standard G30 with its butter bar slide but it absolutely managable and not an issue. The reloads with the goofy chopped frame are my pet peeve. I hate having to kick out my pinky straight during a reload. But, it is a training issue that is also managable.

Now the bad: Glock really needs to offer this pistol with a G19 style grip. I know and have known a number of cohorts and friends who carried the G30 and NONE ever carried it with a 9-round floorplate. I certainly will not. The handling is ideal with the mag extension but just sucks in the 9-round configuration. I guess it makes the platform more flexible to chop the frame but it is not worth it IMHO. The barrel is longer than a subcompact pistol so using a chopped frame of a subcompact when the mag extension makes it a compact profile anyway makes no sense.

In spite of this complaint, I am very satisfied with the G30S. It a marked improvement over the standard G30.

naloxone
06-04-13, 14:47
Yeah, the G30S might seem "boring" but if it is Glock "boring like my G19, G17 and G22...that is cool with me. Glock boring means reliable and not finicky.

That's exactly what I meant when I said boring. No surprises, just works the way it was meant to.

brickboy240
06-04-13, 14:49
The common belief in Glock Land is that if one wants no drama, stick to Glocks only in 9mm.

I know the G36 had teething problems but I almost never hear of people having tons of problems with the G30 or G21.

Other than the G36...the 45ACP Glocks are pretty solid and proven...right?

-brickboy240

Guinnessman
06-04-13, 14:59
Brick,

I had a chance to get some trigger time with a G21 a couple of years ago, and it seemed fine with no issues. It was also a Range Rental gun, and had seen its fair share of abuse.

In April at a LAV basic handgun class, there was a gentleman with a G36, that left after lunch due to the problems he was having with his G36.