PDA

View Full Version : Red or Green

Dualspringfields
05-31-13, 13:00
Which is better with nightvision? Red or green laser?

Thanks

mattj
05-31-13, 13:21
Uh, generally you wouldn't use a visible laser with night vision equipment, that's what IR lasers are for.

NoveskeFan
05-31-13, 13:26
Yeah, if you're talking nightvision optics, then IR. If you mean with the naked eye at night, green.

Dualspringfields
05-31-13, 14:39
Ok say the IR laser goes tits up on you. Does a green laser show up in the nv device?

Deputy Dan
05-31-13, 15:11
No... the green laser would be operating in the visual light spectrum at a different wavelength than IR and would not be visable with NODS.

steyrman13
05-31-13, 15:17
I am almost positive green and red both shows up in NODS, I'll re-check tonight! ;)

CRAMBONE
05-31-13, 15:22
You should be able to see a visible laser through NVGs. Same as seeing a flashlight or street light or anything else really.

TehLlama
05-31-13, 15:48
Both work somewhat well through NODs, but the reason to choose one or the other would be how well it works without NOD for you. I pick up red well enough, and for the dual laser unit I wanted the green vis laser wasn't out yet.

Deputy Dan
05-31-13, 18:20
Yup... I was way off base. Long day at the office.

Just checked my PEQ-15 with a PVS-14. The visible red laser in class 1 mode in a dark room appeared to produce a larger point of light than the IR.

Deputy Dan
05-31-13, 18:21
double hit

Voodoo_Man
05-31-13, 18:23
If you are getting a laser, get a Viridian green laser.

http://i.imgur.com/DL7X6.jpg

Thing is awesome.

SeriousStudent
05-31-13, 19:41
If you are getting a laser, get a Viridian green laser.

How well has that held up for you? I've been debating something like that.

Nice Glock, BTW. I love a pistol that gets used.

Voodoo_Man
05-31-13, 19:52
How well has that held up for you? I've been debating something like that.

Nice Glock, BTW. I love a pistol that gets used.

I broke the X5L Gen2 (http://vdmsr.blogspot.com/2013/05/viridian-x5l-gen2-use-update.html#axzz2Uu05uUro), and Viridian replaced it on warranty without issue.

It broke after, I would say 5-6k rounds, but I do not baby anything I own, especially an EDC.

Thanks, that gen4 g19 has in the 15k+ range and has seen probably 50k+ draw strokes (hence the wear on the gun).

Here's a more detailed pix.

http://i.imgur.com/qtZDp.jpg

jayband
06-03-13, 13:41
For visible laser, green since it's "greener" :p

Zhurdan
06-03-13, 14:16
You should be able to see a visible laser through NVGs. Same as seeing a flashlight or street light or anything else really.

Indeed you can see a visible laser, but they wash out considerably inside a building. Lots of blooming from what I've noticed thus far. Outside, they're still brighter and bloom more than say, a street light at the edge of your NV field of view.

(using green Veridian and PVS-14)

SeriousStudent
06-03-13, 20:47
I broke the X5L Gen2 (http://vdmsr.blogspot.com/2013/05/viridian-x5l-gen2-use-update.html#axzz2Uu05uUro), and Viridian replaced it on warranty without issue.

It broke after, I would say 5-6k rounds, but I do not baby anything I own, especially an EDC.

Thanks, that gen4 g19 has in the 15k+ range and has seen probably 50k+ draw strokes (hence the wear on the gun).

Here's a more detailed pix.

Nice - cool story on the customer service, I'm always wary of electrical doodads and servicing them. Thanks for the link.

JSantoro
06-05-13, 09:43
Does a green laser show up in the nv device?

Gonna depend upon equipment.

GenIII tubes pick up between about 600nm-1400nm wavelengths.

Green lazerz SHOULD be in the 532nm zone, usually +/-20nm. One starts to shift away from green and into the "redder" part of the spectrum @ about 575nm or so (I'd have to look that up to be completely certain...). Point being, there are GenIII systems where a green laser often won't register because it's a wavelength below the supposed "floor" of the tube's performance envelope.

It's also not absolute, as Zuhrdan's post indicates. The little old lady at the factory can show up drunk....

...presuming he has a GenIII tube in his -14. COULD be a GenII if it's commercial or if it's a surplus military one from a certain time-frame that got sold/passed off through DRMO to an agency....etc., etc. Lotta variables; one could simply ASK him... ;)

GenII tubes have a floor of 400-500nm (again, I'd need to look up the hard number, but it's definitely lower than GenIII, though most of the GenIII 'newest whiz-bang features' were the way the electricity is used to create the image -therefore extending batt life- , and the auto-gating....), so most green will show on them.

Zhurdan
06-05-13, 10:00
Gonna depend upon equipment.

GenIII tubes pick up between about 600nm-1400nm wavelengths.

Green lazerz SHOULD be in the 532nm zone, usually +/-20nm. One starts to shift away from green and into the "redder" part of the spectrum @ about 575nm or so (I'd have to look that up to be completely certain...). Point being, there are GenIII systems where a green laser often won't register because it's a wavelength below the supposed "floor" of the tube's performance envelope.

It's also not absolute, as Zuhrdan's post indicates. The little old lady at the factory can show up drunk....

...presuming he has a GenIII tube in his -14. COULD be a GenII if it's commercial or if it's a surplus military one from a certain time-frame that got sold/passed off through DRMO to an agency....etc., etc. Lotta variables; one could simply ASK him... ;)

GenII tubes have a floor of 400-500nm (again, I'd need to look up the hard number, but it's definitely lower than GenIII, though most of the GenIII 'newest whiz-bang features' were the way the electricity is used to create the image -therefore extending batt life- , and the auto-gating....), so most green will show on them.

I've got one of TNVC's Gen III Omni VIII tubes. Unfortunately, I don't have access to a red laser at this time, but the green indoors is too bright when it splashes off of walls. Putting the Veridian on pulse mode helps, but it's still really bright and kinda defeats the purpose of having NV in the first place as it acts as a giant beacon. I'm still waiting on the CIVL IR laser to come out before I spend too much more on NV stuff. :D