PDA

View Full Version : FNS trigger job/kit

VIP3R 237
05-31-13, 17:10
I've owned a FNS-40 since December 2012 and i have been impressed with it's reliability, ambi controls, and accuracy, however the trigger can be improved upon for sure.

Has anyone done a trigger job or is anyone aware of a trigger kit available?

m1a_scoutguy
06-01-13, 00:18
I've owned a FNS-40 since December 2012 and i have been impressed with it's reliability, ambi controls, and accuracy, however the trigger can be improved upon for sure.

Has anyone done a trigger job or is anyone aware of a trigger kit available?

Tagged for interest !! I have had a FNS 9mm for a few months,,really like it,,even though the trigger isn't that bad & it has gotten "better" with use,,,a upgrade would be nice !!! Time will tell,,but it certainly won't be the end if no one comes up with one for awhile !! :D

opngrnd
06-01-13, 02:56
Some one asked Apex Tactical Specialties about a new trigger. from Facebook:

Greg Oryschak

"Apex... any possibilities of a trigger for the FN FNS series pistols?"

Apex Tactical Specialties, Inc. "We've been toying with the idea for a while now. Keep your eyes peeled"

MrMiller
06-01-13, 15:30
Having spent some considerable time at this same process on an FNS-9 it seems to come down to the design.

The entire pre-travel of the trigger is cocking the striker (well OK it moves the striker safety up as well) but the system is dominated by the striker spring. Polishing the striker and striker channel seemed to make a slight difference but not remarkable.

Overall I was able to get a noticeable but not necessarily significant improvement in smoothness of the trigger travel by polishing surfaces just lightly. Probably this can be taken too far, just like a Glock.

The only other thing that seems like it could be done [without weakening the striker spring itself] would be to get a stronger trigger spring which helps offset the striker spring and assists in pulling the trigger rearward. This spring is stretched slightly when the trigger is fully forward and has essentially zero tension when the trigger has fully cocked the striker.

Weakening the striker spring is probably not a good idea as it could result in light primer strikes if taken too far.
A stronger trigger spring would offset some of the striker spring force without creating that problem.

Be careful of the sear angles. There is plenty of sear engagement so that might possibly be reduced and take out some of the travel disengaging the sear but it won't make the overall trigger travel any smoother.

Since you have had this gun for a while is it like most guns, shooting a few thousand rounds improves the trigger as things naturally smooth themselves out (and the shooter simply gets used to the nature of the trigger )?

plouffedaddy
06-01-13, 16:51
Some one asked Apex Tactical Specialties about a new trigger. from Facebook:

Greg Oryschak

"Apex... any possibilities of a trigger for the FN FNS series pistols?"

Apex Tactical Specialties, Inc. "We've been toying with the idea for a while now. Keep your eyes peeled"

http://imageshack.us/a/img825/3747/picture20q.png

That'd be sweet. I love my FNS but a pound or two off the trigger certainly wouldn't bother me.

VIP3R 237
05-13-14, 16:18
Its been almost a year, has anyone found a decent solution yet?

Randy Lee
05-13-14, 17:26
Hi all,

We have looked at the FNS, however the complexity of the fire control group does not relegate it to a simple drop in kit. We will have to design an entirely new replacement trigger pack. Also, support from FN is fairly limited at this point, so our access to spare parts is minimal at best. I do know that a couple of very good pistolsmiths have been tinkering with the system. I believe that they are coming to the same conclusion- there is a lot of engineering ground work that needs to done.

That being said, we are still looking at ways to improve the trigger.

-Randy

VIP3R 237
05-13-14, 17:31
Hi all,

We have looked at the FNS, however the complexity of the fire control group does not relegate it to a simple drop in kit. We will have to design an entirely new replacement trigger pack. Also, support from FN is fairly limited at this point, so our access to spare parts is minimal at best. I do know that a couple of very good pistolsmiths have been tinkering with the system. I believe that they are coming to the same conclusion- there is a lot of engineering ground work that needs to done.

-Randy

Randy thanks for your input. I was afraid that would be the answer, it is a fairly complicated design.

okie john
05-13-14, 19:11
Hi all,

-Randy

Is there any hope for the FNX?

Okie John

m1a_scoutguy
05-13-14, 23:34
That's to bad its that involved but when I look at it, it does seem like lots of parts & pieces ,LOL ! Oh well,,it was a great thought,,Thanks for letting us know Randy L ! When I bought my FNS I joined up over at the FN Forum just for the heck of it,,bunch of decent guys over there. Anyways,,a Thread was started about this very topic,,Improving the trigger, a guy came up with this pretty straight forward approach. I have over 3K through mine now and I did this a couple months back & it did help some,,so check it out and see what ya think guys.
http://fnforum.net/forums/fn-fns/31827-how-smoothing-out-fns-trigger-when-new.html

Sensei
05-14-14, 00:09
Bruce Gray has commented on the FNS trigger being overly complex compared to offerings from Glock, M&P, and Sig's new P320. He noted that this has lessened his interest in an aftermarket trigger improvement.

Randy Lee
05-14-14, 13:50
Since the FNX is a hammer fired pistol, I bet the pull can be cleaned up significantly.

-Randy

okie john
05-14-14, 13:54
Since the FNX is a hammer fired pistol, I bet the pull can be cleaned up significantly.

-Randy

That's what I'm hoping. Do you guys do that kind of work?

Thanks,

Okie John

Randy Lee
05-14-14, 19:13
That's what I'm hoping. Do you guys do that kind of work?

Thanks,

Okie John

We do not publicly, however I have worked on CZs pretty extensively as well as revolvers. I'm pretty sure we could clean up the action as long as the internals are reasonably high quality.

-Randy

ShootingSight
10-05-17, 17:57
Looking at the FNS-9 for a buddy, and I think I see a way to fix the trigger.

Where can I buy spare parts to experiment on, so I don't screw up my buddy's gun? MGS has strikers listed (for almost $50), and they are out of stock.

dwhitehorne
10-07-17, 18:12
MGS?? Midwest Gun Works was my go to place for FN parts when I had a FNS. I cut down a few striker springs trying to drop the pull a pound or so. It seemed to work a little. David