PDA

View Full Version : HK USP detail strip?

manbearpig
05-31-13, 17:31
Does an HK USP need to be detail stripped for proper maintenance, and if so, what is the round count interval for detail stripping it? Thanks.

El Vaquero
06-01-13, 02:16
Suppose ammo quality may play a factor, but I have several USP's. Two of which I've shot the piss out of. I tore my frame apart on one after around 6k rounds and it wasn't bad at all. Me personally, I wouldn't worry about it till around the 10-15k mark. I've got a buddy who has at least 15k rounds on his USP and it's still functioning flawlessly having never done a total tear down.

Just do the basic field strip every 500 rounds or so and keep rockin. I have an armorer's manual and I didn't see it directly address as to when to do a total tear down. It mentions something to the effect of, during testing USP's routinely fired 10k without malfunctions. Implying somewhere after that point is when you may want to.

manbearpig
06-01-13, 04:00
Thanks for the info El Vaquero.

Spiffums
06-01-13, 04:22
I changed out the trigger/hammer parts for a LEM on a used USP 45. It wasn't too bad dirty in there but I'm not sure gun scrubber wasn't used before it went to the shop.

PD Sgt.
06-01-13, 12:53
The only times I have detail stripped mine were when I was installing the LEM trigger parts. Other than that, I have not seen a reason for a total strip of the frame. HK makes a very durable pistol, and many shooters will never even need to replace a recoil spring.

Bear in mind, there are some parts that are a royal pain to put back, like the trigger return spring. If I were to strip the pistol, I would probably just do the back half of the frame, where the hammer axle and sear reside, and leave the trigger in place.

06-01-13, 15:12
I've put thousands of rds. through a USP Tac .45 and.45c including multiple classes. Never thoroughly stripped either. Nary an issue. Lube is the key.

Talon167
06-01-13, 18:25
Check the owners' manual. I believe the first maintenance interval for the USP (45 anyway) is the guide-rod spring at 25k rounds.

No, really...

HKGuns
06-01-13, 21:26
My opinion is that you're unlikely to shoot it enough for that to be required. I've never detail stripped any of mine. I wouldn't sweat it.

Bret
06-04-13, 19:07
Just field strip it to clean and lubricate it. If it starts to have a reliability problem, just send it to H&K and they'll cover it under warranty (assuming it's not a police surplus). My '93 USP40 has had the recoil spring and a sight insert replaced under warranty.

Kool Aid
06-06-13, 07:47
I'd forego a detail strip until ~ 20K rounds, at which point I'd go in and replace the sear spring. Its the only part I've broken on an HK.

I find it easier to detail strip a polymer HK than it is to replace the trigger return spring in these guns.

HKUSP.40
06-13-13, 14:48
My duty USP 40 LEM has about 12K rounds through it. I've detail stripped it twice and both times it really didn't need it. Just field strip clean and lube. Call it done.

manbearpig
06-13-13, 15:12
Thanks all, this is reassuring to know, I can barely change out a light bulb let alone detail strip a USP.

jyo
06-15-13, 04:45
I have several HK pistols and shoot them a lot. Field strip? Rarely---detail strip---never needed to. As the former manager of several large gunstores, I can't count the times we used to have someone bring us a gun in a cigar box---torn to pieces---parts lost or missing---screws buggered---finish damaged, etc. Frankly, most people are not competent enough to detail strip a firearm---would you teardown the engine on your car after 20K just to have a look inside? Field strip the gun if you must to clean---leave the rest of the gun alone unless you must replace a broken part...

K1tt3n5
06-20-13, 10:33
I did it just to see how everything went together. It was pretty darn clean and I wouldn't do it again. Too many tiny parts.

kirito
08-11-13, 10:36
I have several HK pistols and shoot them a lot. Field strip? Rarely---detail strip---never needed to. As the former manager of several large gunstores, I can't count the times we used to have someone bring us a gun in a cigar box---torn to pieces---parts lost or missing---screws buggered---finish damaged, etc. Frankly, most people are not competent enough to detail strip a firearm---would you teardown the engine on your car after 20K just to have a look inside? Field strip the gun if you must to clean---leave the rest of the gun alone unless you must replace a broken part...

Agreed! just the usual cleaning will do with a field strip. Unless you are changing parts then do the detail and a full clean up ^^ Detail strip is not fun although I just had to do that on the USP I picked up to make sure that it was functioning properly without any problems.

mx5rcr
08-11-13, 10:57
Not 100%sure but total disassemby will void your warranty, if you care about that. Not to mention the mechanical engineering degree and third hand to get it back together. That's a bit exagerated and there are youtube vids that can help if you decide to do it. I've done it as a training exercise but not for maintenance.