PDA

View Full Version : Assembly feedback

ggammell
05-31-13, 18:28
Alright folks, I am going to start assembling (not building) A carbine. I just want to make sure that before I start buying stuff I have it right.

BCM lower (standard configuration)
BCM 14.5 BFH Mid Length upper (likely with an AAC Blackout pinned and welded) for potential use with a suppressor down the road.

I'm going to get some general hand guards for now just to get going.

BCM recommends mil spec ammo but I frequently run .223 based on availability and price. Should I expect any issues with this setup once all the parts are pout together?

Thanks

okdonk
05-31-13, 18:37
Can't go wrong with BCM, perfect decision. A huge BCM fan myself. Shooting 223 rather than 5.56 won't do any harm at all. I shoot 223 90% of the time.

ggammell
05-31-13, 18:39
Cool. Did you have to change buffers or anything or is it straight out of the box?

okdonk
05-31-13, 19:17
I always change my stock buffers with Spike's ST2 on the first day. Regardless carbine or mid length gas system.

Iraqgunz
05-31-13, 19:27
I would ignore the Spikes nonsense and stick with an H buffer. Then make sure to look it over well and lube the BCG very good.

Clint
05-31-13, 19:38
For hand guards , I like the MOE over the standard M4

Otherwise looks like good choices.

C4IGrant
05-31-13, 19:48
I always change my stock buffers with Spike's ST2 on the first day. Regardless carbine or mid length gas system.

Really? Why?

C4

C4IGrant
05-31-13, 19:50
Alright folks, I am going to start assembling (not building) A carbine. I just want to make sure that before I start buying stuff I have it right.

BCM lower (standard configuration)
BCM 14.5 BFH Mid Length upper (likely with an AAC Blackout pinned and welded) for potential use with a suppressor down the road.

I'm going to get some general hand guards for now just to get going.

BCM recommends mil spec ammo but I frequently run .223 based on availability and price. Should I expect any issues with this setup once all the parts are pout together?

Thanks

Once you pin a FH higher on to the barrel, your options for rails goes down hill fast. So I would put a rail on BEFORE you pin and weld or better yet, get a 16" barrel! ;)

C4

okdonk
05-31-13, 19:59
Really? Why?

C4

Sometimes i shoot those cheap Wolf/ Tulammo on my DD and got few FTE. Then swap it with the T2. Since then started to put those ST2 on my builds, been working great and flawless. Maybe it's just me and might not work all the same on others.

ggammell
05-31-13, 20:12
Once you pin a FH higher on to the barrel, your options for rails goes down hill fast. So I would put a rail on BEFORE you pin and weld or better yet, get a 16" barrel! ;)

C4

I'm looking at a FSP anyway and was planning on MI gen 2 drop ins. Seem to be reading good things about them and I think they will suit my needs just fine (I will have a light mounted eventually and a fore grip and that's about it). Unless there's a really good reason I shouldn't go that route. I really wasnt planning on free floating it.

I'm going with 14.5 because my work gun is a 14.5 and I really like that length. Of course is a carbine length system (Colt M4LE) but the size is what I love.

ggammell
05-31-13, 20:31
Oh, and Grant, I'm hoping to get that lower from you. Feel free to pm me any time you get a new batch in. ;)

whiskey lake
06-04-13, 23:34
Just my 2 cents but if you are going to be mounting stuff (especially foreward grips) to your weapon, why not get a free float rail on there and THEN pin it?

ggammell
06-05-13, 06:21
I ended up grabbing a BCM Mid 16 Mod 2 from Grant. It was so close to the ideal that I just went for it. Saves the gun smithing fees too.

Of course I said to myself who knows when BCM will actually have the 14.5 upper that I want anyway. Well the answer to that is they just got them in.

W.Watts
06-06-13, 10:11
Umm, once you pin/weld the flash hider, you won't be getting the FSB off. That in turn means you are stuck w/drop in rails limited to whatever length gas system you choose.

ggammell
06-06-13, 10:13
Yeah you're not the first to say that. And I ended up getting a 16" (last post).

crosseyedshooter
06-11-13, 01:03
A 14.5" upper with standard barrel nut and lo-pro gas block gives you a few options later with FF handguards. Centurion Arms C4, Rainier/Samson Evolution and Troy Alpha all bolt onto the standard barrel nut and are therefore interchangeable without removing the FH.