PDA

View Full Version : Fake ads on Armslist?

C45P312
06-01-13, 08:09
So I'm trying to source a POF 308 16in for a buddy of mine. Hopped onto Armslist.com to see what was available. I see them going for about $2500 which seems to be the norm if bought from an authorized dealer online.

I came across a lot of ads for the rifle below $2000 with locations in NY, NJ, NC, and WY. First off the locations raise a red flag for me but then I see the NC and WY. I emailed all 4 ads asking for more pictures, if they were a FFL, and possible do a FTF for the North Carolina one with my buddy.

Is this normal? I don't go on Armslist.com makes me want to stick to gunbroker if wanting to pay MSRP

Dano5326
06-01-13, 10:21
1) how does armslist vet..
2) too good to be true...

caveat emptor

VaeVictis
06-01-13, 10:41
I had a local FFL warn me about Armslist not too long ago, it seems fake ads aren't too uncommon there. He even told me that someone got a hold of his FFL info a while back ago and tried selling under his name.

uglyducky
06-01-13, 11:02
I've had both experiences on there. In the last two months I've purchased a great Noveske lower with all the bells and whistles and a Springfield TRP, both shipped from out of state. Along the way I ran into a lot of scammers but they are pretty easy to spot IMO. Ask a ton of questions, get their name and all contact info up front and have them ship from an FFL that you can verify. Once firearm is sitting at their FFL and I qualify that, then I send $$. Never send MO to some random address. I send discreet Paypal for all those transactions.

Noodles
06-01-13, 11:24
I know what you mean, for jokes I was looking around armslist to see what stupid guns were still going to stupid prices, found a KSG for $3000... Now, judging by the pictures I want to say "real", but almost too perfect, so I'm thinking "fake, but really good!"

KSG on ARMSLIST (http://www.armslist.com/posts/1620780/missoula-montana-shotguns-for-sale--kel-tec-ksg-12-gauge-tactical-shotgun)

Grand58742
06-01-13, 11:41
Now, judging by the pictures I want to say "real", but almost too perfect, so I'm thinking "fake, but really good!"

KSG on ARMSLIST (http://www.armslist.com/posts/1620780/missoula-montana-shotguns-for-sale--kel-tec-ksg-12-gauge-tactical-shotgun)

Certainly looks fake to me. But I would have to perform a detailed examination to be positive.

Noodles
06-01-13, 11:45
Certainly looks fake to me. But I would have to perform a detailed examination to be positive.

I'm no armorer for that model, but I know a thing or two about field stripping and what oil to use.

Grand58742
06-01-13, 12:08
So I'm trying to source a POF 308 16in for a buddy of mine. Hopped onto Armslist.com to see what was available. I see them going for about $2500 which seems to be the norm if bought from an authorized dealer online.

I came across a lot of ads for the rifle below $2000 with locations in NY, NJ, NC, and WY. First off the locations raise a red flag for me but then I see the NC and WY. I emailed all 4 ads asking for more pictures, if they were a FFL, and possible do a FTF for the North Carolina one with my buddy.

Is this normal? I don't go on Armslist.com makes me want to stick to gunbroker if wanting to pay MSRP

To answer the original question, sometimes you get good deals, but I almost flat refuse to buy from other states and deal with an unknown FFL. I will sell out of state, but rarely buy. Kind of hypocritical, but I'm okay as long as I get the funds in advance.

Otherwise, I do F2F transfers on anything I find on Armslist. But also take precautions when I do. Meet in a public place that's well lit or during daytime, have big dog along with me, CCW and never have the cash on my person until the transaction is done.

Just some common sense precautions and it's generally no problem. But again, I refuse to do anything but face to face unless I know the person or I'm getting it shipped in from a dealer.

Celt
06-01-13, 12:32
I've had both experiences on there. In the last two months I've purchased a great Noveske lower with all the bells and whistles and a Springfield TRP, both shipped from out of state. Along the way I ran into a lot of scammers but they are pretty easy to spot IMO. Ask a ton of questions, get their name and all contact info up front and have them ship from an FFL that you can verify. Once firearm is sitting at their FFL and I qualify that, then I send $$. Never send MO to some random address. I send discreet Paypal for all those transactions.

Sound advice. I'm looking at an item on another board and have some doubts. He's new to the board, low post count, add verbiage does not inspire confidence.

Dave_M
06-02-13, 00:55
If it involves money there are some people that will try and take advantage. One that's been going around lately is a Chicomm NDM-86 (Chinese Dragunov) for ~$2k-$3k. Always wants to do a MO, no local inspection etc. Several guys have been burned already.

Always buy local on Armslist. Always inspect in person.

pingdork
06-02-13, 01:11

^^^this
I've sold a bunch lately and bought some stuff too. Generally meet in a gun store and take care of business in the parking lot. I may be one of the lucky few, but in 15-20 transactions in the last 5 months, all have ran smooth.

hickuleas
06-02-13, 04:10
Someone used my pictures from a Gunbroker auction to attempt a scam on Armslist.

The_War_Wagon
06-02-13, 05:14

I'll second the motion. I've sold a LOT on Armslist (never bought anything off of it though), and other than idiots who stand you up with no warning or reason :rolleyes: , I have no other complaints.

simonsez
06-02-13, 14:32
A couple of months ago I went back and forth with a person selling a BCM EAG bnib for I think $1,500. I knew it was fake from the start but I thought I would mess with them. I was one state away and wanted to meet face to face and told them I had cash in hand. They replied that they couldn't meet ftf because they were going to Tennessee for awhile. I told them that my family could meet them in Tennessee because they were going right through there on vacation (which they were). That's when the e-mails stopped. :nono:

jayband
06-03-13, 13:28
you guys scare me, just made 2 purchases last week and hope to get my items. They are not thousand dollar purchase but few hunderds for PMAG rebuild and a rail

SWThomas
06-03-13, 14:16
I know what you mean, for jokes I was looking around armslist to see what stupid guns were still going to stupid prices, found a KSG for $3000... Now, judging by the pictures I want to say "real", but almost too perfect, so I'm thinking "fake, but really good!"

That particular chick holding the rifle definitely made me look twice... :ph34r:

http://cdn2.armslist.com/sites/armslist/uploads/posts/2013/05/15/1620780_03_kel_tec_ksg_12_gauge_tactical__640.jpg

dravz
06-03-13, 14:29
I stay local on armslist. Hard to trust more than that when there are no safeguards and no recourse.

smoky
06-03-13, 15:36
I do FTF only with Armslist. I've gotten some good deals, but you have to sift through all the BS to find the good stuff (i.e. the $1K+ Carbon-15).

The best thing you can do is open up lines of communication. There are usually several e-mails between myself and potential buyer/seller that helps to establish if this is a scam or a legit sale.

slamd095
06-04-13, 17:58
That particular chick holding the rifle definitely made me look twice... :ph34r:

http://cdn2.armslist.com/sites/armslist/uploads/posts/2013/05/15/1620780_03_kel_tec_ksg_12_gauge_tactical__640.jpg

What Rifle? :D

_Stormin_
06-05-13, 00:02
We call that; "marketing"