PDA

View Full Version : Truck vs SUV

C-grunt
06-01-13, 19:28
If you were looking to buy a new vehicle and were to choose either a truck or an SUV which would it be and why?

The truck obviously has the hauling potential but the secure storage of the SUV would be more useful most of the time.

steyrman13
06-01-13, 19:33
If you were looking to buy a new vehicle and were to choose either a truck or an SUV which would it be and why?

The truck obviously has the hauling potential but the secure storage of the SUV would be more useful most of the time.

I would vote for crew can truck and definitely in Diesel engine. (Much more power and way better engine life and fuel mileage. I wouldn't consider a vehicle "secure storage" as my cab was broken into with a simple screwdriver at the last gun show. A strong toolbox in the bed of a pickup bolted tightly would be more secure than the cab of SUV. Unless you need the third row seating, I would always choose truck. If you don't have a truck on the family, again a truck

Kokopelli
06-01-13, 19:38
The Toyota FJ I've had for the last five years is the best vehicle I've ever owned. I grew up in the auto business and have bought in excess of 25 new vehicles in my life; probably owning fifty or more. The FJ takes to the big road like a Cadillac and off-roads better than any Jeep I've owned. We drive it to Ouray and Moab and hit the trails.. In stock form no less. It a great shooting platform as well with lots of enclosed space, a huge read door that opens wide and I can shoot right out the back of it.. JMO.. Ron

Moose-Knuckle
06-01-13, 19:53
My vote, a crew-cab truck.

GeorgiaBoy
06-01-13, 19:59
My personal choice would be a truck, (crew cab), but I sometimes I wouldn't mind having an full-size SUV (Tahoe, Expedition) either. There are times when I wish my truck had more interior storage space and I wish I had an SUV, but whenever I have to haul something in the bed I'm glad I have a truck.

J-Dub
06-01-13, 20:30
My Toyota Tacoma TRD Offroad double cab with an ARE paint matched bed cap.

Best of both worlds. I have a truck with a separate enclosed bed. I don't have to smell my dogs when they get nasty afield that way, and they are still out of the weather (in an aluminum dog box too). Plus a full back seat. You can also install a locking slide out drawer system in the bed if you want to (im thinking about it)

obucina
06-01-13, 20:45
I have a supercab F150, it has enough room in the back seat for shtuff. want a "secure" bed? Either a bed box or a Roll n Lock can do it. The tail gate is lockable. Can it be broken into? sure, my truck was stolen. I have a 6.5ft bed, have hauled 18in ceramic tile, baseboard, mower. And dropped a pair of floor jacks for my employer...and a pallet of oreos today:p

montanadave
06-01-13, 20:48
I've been driving a Honda Ridgeline for several years. It rides as comfortably as any car I've ever owned, has a nice interior (leather, heated seats, sun roof, etc.), and also has a lockable trunk in the bed. I put a Leer topper on it so, similar to J-Dub's Tacoma, I can toss the dogs in the back if they get wet or mudded up.

I also have a Thule rack on top which allows me to haul longer building materials.

Ryno12
06-01-13, 20:49
Right now, I have a Silverado crew cab & my wife has a GMC Denali. We're both in the market for a new vehicle but she's due sooner than I am. We're looking into a Suburban/Yukon XLT as we could use a little more extra space for the family. When it's my turn, I'm shooting for a 3/4 ton crew cab.
Ultimately, it depends on your primary purpose for the vehicle. Are you trailering anything? Are you hauling family or building supplies? What about an Avalanche? Best of both worlds?

Either way, I wouldn't be without either.

Sent via Tapatalk

C-grunt
06-01-13, 20:56
I won't be hauling anything regularly. Just the occasional need around the house. No towing. I have been fine with a car for the last 12 years I have been out on my own and could do it again really. I just want the extra utility of a truck or SUV. I'm leaning heavily towards a 4x4 4 door Tacoma right now but several of the SUVs out there are enticing me as well.

obucina
06-01-13, 21:04
I won't be hauling anything regularly. Just the occasional need around the house. No towing. I have been fine with a car for the last 12 years I have been out on my own and could do it again really. I just want the extra utility of a truck or SUV. I'm leaning heavily towards a 4x4 4 door Tacoma right now but several of the SUVs out there are enticing me as well.

when i bought my truck new in 2007, I considered a Mustang, 335 sedan, and a Charger RT. After buying my house last year, Im glad I bought the truck. All the stuff I needed for my house when I remodeled, including all the things that go with being a homeowner. Ya cant haul a dozen bags of mulch in a 'stang! I made sure mine had the towing package as I wanted the massive transmission cooler and bigger battery that comes with the option.

eventually, a 17ft flats boat will find it way behind my truck, or my next F150, hopefully I can trade in for next year:)

Caeser25
06-01-13, 21:07
Crew cab truck. I have a crew cab nissan frontier. Handles like a car, decent gas mileage, good power for a v6. I wish I would have gone with a full size sometimes but when I had to drive into town for work the smaller truck is much easier to park in certain areas.

steyrman13
06-01-13, 21:21
One thing to note as well, other than parking in tighter spaces or cornering on a right trail in the woods, the full size is the way to go IMO. Also, almost always the full size especially diesel gets as good or Bette than the smaller pickups. Duramax can squeeze 21-22 mpg with a chip and fords around the same. My 7.3 gets 17.5-18 city or hwy and gets no less than 14.5-15 when hauling a bobcat or something of that size where as a ranger I had would get 16.5 in city hwy and when hauling a lightweight boat around 1500lbs I would drop to around 8 mpg

Ryno12
06-01-13, 21:29
Crew Cab then. Everything you need, nothing you don't. Never know when you'll have to pick up that 4x8 sheet of plywood.
Nothing wrong with the Toyota BTW.

Sent via Tapatalk

J-Dub
06-01-13, 21:54
I've considered downsizing or trading off another car for the new Subaru XV Crosstrek.

They have nice ground clearance, cargo room, can pull around 1500lbs, and are AWD. Great mpg's too.

gunrunner505
06-01-13, 22:22
I have both. 2005 F150 FX4 super crew and a 2011 Chevy Suburban.

With 3 kids it is definately easier to haul them, and all our crap, around in the suburban. The suburban has a ton of interior space, it's impressive what you can put behind the 3rd row of seats and it can still tow a boat or a car or bike on a trailer. If you're not towing the suburban goes about 580 highway miles on a tank, no BS. It is a road trip machine for sure. 3 car seats will fit across the back of the F150 but it's a pain.

F150 naturally has much more utility but it is more limited for family things.

We use the suburban for just about everyhting. The pickup is relegated to home depot trips and big jobs where the item in question won't fit in the chevy.

mikelowrey
06-01-13, 22:37
Wow! Lots of crew cab fans, am in the lookout too for a SUV but since I don't do the heavy stuff on a daily basis like others here I think a good choice is either the explorer or Tahoe, those are the options am looking into since they offer plenty of space. I do know the suburban has a bigger space behind the third row seat but we are looking into something with a lot of space but not so big to drive into places. I have look at others but they all look like the crossover with limited space and features.

Alaskapopo
06-01-13, 22:45
I have a 2008 Tundra Crew Max. I like it alot. A huge cab and enough bed to haul around steel targets and other things I need for matches.
Pat

gunrunner505
06-01-13, 22:53
Wow! Lots of crew cab fans, am in the lookout too for a SUV but since I don't do the heavy stuff on a daily basis like others here I think a good choice is either the explorer or Tahoe, those are the options am looking into since they offer plenty of space. I do know the suburban has a bigger space behind the third row seat but we are looking into something with a lot of space but not so big to drive into places. I have look at others but they all look like the crossover with limited space and features.

If you're set on a pickup i would for real sure get a crew cab. You will miss the space if you don't.

On a Tahoe, if you need the 3rd row there is next to no cargo space behind it. The suburban drives way smaller than it is. Pretty surprising.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Honu
06-01-13, 23:04
when I lived in the islands we had a truck and a SUV but liked the truck better cause of dive gear etc.. but it was never that hot here

here in PHX not sure I want a truck ? the heat in the summer if I want to do daily things groceries the dog kids those things would rather have them in the aircon inside
also camping way to much dust would again rather have the stuff inside

I can rent a truck if I really need to :) but then again I dont haul stuff much that needs a truck but I do haul stuff that I prefer to keep clean and cooler

C-grunt
06-01-13, 23:17
when I lived in the islands we had a truck and a SUV but liked the truck better cause of dive gear etc.. but it was never that hot here

here in PHX not sure I want a truck ? the heat in the summer if I want to do daily things groceries the dog kids those things would rather have them in the aircon inside
also camping way to much dust would again rather have the stuff inside

I can rent a truck if I really need to :) but then again I dont haul stuff much that needs a truck but I do haul stuff that I prefer to keep clean and cooler

The weather here is another factor. Most of the SUVs will fit in my garage but the Toyota might not. I've done the math and it is really close. It's not fun putting the kids inside a vehicle that's been parked outside and it's 160 degrees inside.

Plus I would be doing a lot more of hauling smaller items that can easily fit inside the SUV than bigger items that need a bed.

I really don't know. It's probably my going to come down to what mood I'm in when I buy the vehicle.

Ryno12
06-01-13, 23:45
Are you thinking more along the lines of a mid sized vehicle or full sized?

Sent via Tapatalk

ThirdWatcher
06-02-13, 01:23
Another vote for a crew cab truck. I won't buy an SUV, they usually cost more and depreciate faster. YMMV

Iraqgunz
06-02-13, 01:39
I have a Suburban and a Toyota 4Runner. I highly recommend the 4Runner. It's been fantastic. If I was doing ranch stuff I would probably look at a truck.

Honu
06-02-13, 02:53
I now have a gobi rack so I get a bit more clearance

but my stock rack is close !
https://www.m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=16900&d=1370159465

we have been looking at a 4 runner maybe ? need something with more room for camping stuff along with the wife 2 kids and a dog the FJC is way to small inside ! great off road though

The weather here is another factor. Most of the SUVs will fit in my garage but the Toyota might not. I've done the math and it is really close. It's not fun putting the kids inside a vehicle that's been parked outside and it's 160 degrees inside.

Plus I would be doing a lot more of hauling smaller items that can easily fit inside the SUV than bigger items that need a bed.

I really don't know. It's probably my going to come down to what mood I'm in when I buy the vehicle.

The_War_Wagon
06-02-13, 05:24
SUV... maybe.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/Scouting/100_8914_zpsdcb54391.jpg

Lots of modern conveniences, but it'll be a 2 ton paperweight with a good EMP burst.

4x4? Definitely.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/Muddin_zps4aa2956b.jpg

MORE storage space, and WILL move obstacles in a bug out, if necessary.

randolph
06-02-13, 07:41
SUV all the way.
Ive had the big CC diesels. just because you have a backseat doesnt mean you can haul much.
Ive had an LR LR3 for the last few years, love it.
lay the back seats down ansyou can haul a surprising amount of gear.
the thing goes anywhere you ask it to.

I doubt if I'll ever have another truck again.
If I absolutely need to haul something the LR cant, my neighbor has two trucks and he loves my BBQ :p

Crow Hunter
06-02-13, 08:11
I personally have 2 trucks.:jester:

One is my old beater (1999 Silverado Z71) that is for hauling and the other is the "replacement" for the old beater that I happened upon for an incredible deal (2011 4X4 Silverado Crew Cab Work Truck that someone ordered, but never picked up and the dealership wanted it gone off their lot).

I would not want to be without a truck personally. The only time I would prefer a SUV to a truck is if I need to transport a bunch of people or if I need to transport something I really don't want to get wet if it is raining. All through high school and most of college I had a S-10 Blazer.

I usually have many more times that I need to haul a couple front end loader buckets of mulch, an ATV while towing another, a bunch of logs & chainsaw, or a couple of dirty/wet labs. (Just a few of the things that I have just recently needed my truck for.)

I use the 4WD option quite a bit. Just recently it came in handy for getting a bed full of hickory logs up a very steep incline without tearing up a nice lawn.

mikelowrey
06-02-13, 09:45
For the truck fans, what's is the avg spent on filling the tank?

obucina
06-02-13, 09:55

i have the optional 35.7 gallon tank, get 15mpg, and regular is 3.54 a gallon. My highway mileage is about 19mpg. But, I work 6 miles from home and only have 68k on my truck and its just over 6 years old.

Ryno12
06-02-13, 09:56

For me, it's usually about $85 per fill. I think it about a 24gal tank.

Sent via Tapatalk

gunrunner505
06-02-13, 10:17

As we enjoy some of the highest, if not the highest, gas prices in the country here in the Chicago area we routinely hit the $100 mark at fill up. However as i only live 2 miles from work a tank lasts about 2 weeks or so.

TacMedic556
06-02-13, 11:19
I would go truck for many reasons from hauling dead game to lumber to rocks - Because our nation makes it illegal for me to own a Toyota Hilux:

Ford Cummins swap.

Truck: Ford 350 Class minimum. 2007-now
Engine: Cummins 12 valve inline 6.

Why? Ford front end is better, more durable, longer lasting. Cummins is a medium duty truck engine that gets 500,000+ miles easy. Not to mention this engine is easy to work on, gets awesome fuel efficiency, and is common for parts. There is a famous one cruising the nation with I believe close to 1,000,000 documented miles on the engine.

I have several mechanic buddies who discuss this issue ad nauseum.

There are several services that do the engine swap.
http://www.fordcummins.com/

C-grunt
06-02-13, 11:21
Any thoughts on the upcomming Ram 1500 diesel?

Crow Hunter
06-02-13, 11:58
Any thoughts on the upcomming Ram 1500 diesel?

Unless something has seriously changed at Dodge/Chrysler related to quality and design since 2007, I wouldn't buy it.

The 7 years I dealt with Diamler/Chrysler (DCX) when I worked in the Automotive industry they had the least well thought out designs, the weakest materials and the lowest quality standards compared to Ford/Toyota/GM/Nissan (ranked by quality standards in my experience)

It used to be a fairly common occurance for the the N-truck (Dodge Dakota) brake plate to break off the "top hat" while machining. The web was just too thin.

They also were the only ones that had cast iron hubs with pressed in bearings. The others used forged 1040 or 1040V hubs with roll formed bearings.

They did have prettier engineers though.:D

I don't know about today's vehicles, but I would still be leery.

tb-av
06-02-13, 12:58
If it were not for the fact I am constantly using the bed of my truck I would be looking at 4runner.

I had a Blazer ( everybody seems to say they like them but mine had lots of issues )... Now I have a Tacoma... I liked the nature of the SUV more so than the extended cab Tacoma.

I am seriously thinking of just buying a trailer and getting a SUV rather than another truck. I also used to have a metal rack that connected to my hitch receiver on that Blazer and you can get a lot of stiff in one of those for the occasional messy stuff or a big cooler.

whatever you do... get 4 doors that open... It really sounds like you are more SUV oriented. I wish I was.

Kfgk14
06-02-13, 14:18
Crew cab, half-3/4 ton...I'd go Ford/Dodge, they have really impressive new drivetrains...big torque and horsepower for very little fuel.

J-Dub
06-02-13, 17:03
My Tacoma costs about $60 per tank. Thankfully I also have a Corolla, and a company car to commute in..

My truck is used for hunting/camping/truck shit.

C-grunt
06-02-13, 18:08
My Tacoma costs about $60 per tank. Thankfully I also have a Corolla, and a company car to commute in..

My truck is used for hunting/camping/truck shit.

My Infiniti costs the same or a little more usually. Though I bet the total mileage per tank would drop a little.

usmcvet
06-02-13, 18:45
I'm in my third silverado crew cab. I'd have a Tahoe but they're too much money for me. I wish a 1500 diesel was an option. I have three kids and a dog. That's why the Tahoe would be nice.

usmcvet
06-02-13, 19:17
If you're set on a pickup i would for real sure get a crew cab. You will miss the space if you don't.

On a Tahoe, if you need the 3rd row there is next to no cargo space behind it. The suburban drives way smaller than it is. Pretty surprising.

The thing that sucks with the silverado crew cab is how damn short the bed is. It is frustrating when hauling firewood.

gunrunner505
06-02-13, 20:28
The ring that sucks with the silverado crew cab is how damn short the bed is. It is frustrating when hauling firewood.

My F150 is the same way. Only a 5.5 foot bed with the tailgate closed so that kinda sucks. Of course in '06 they changed the frame to give it a 6.5 foot bed. Figures. The bed extender dealie is pretty nice to have.

Tell you what, that 2014 Silverado is looking pretty good to me.

Caeser25
06-02-13, 20:29
20ish gallon tank in my Frontier. I get 12mpg in the city and can get 20 on the highway. I take the trolley/subway to work daily so a tank of gas can last a month.

steyrman13
06-02-13, 21:01
I would go truck for many reasons from hauling dead game to lumber to rocks - Because our nation makes it illegal for me to own a Toyota Hilux:

Ford Cummins swap.

Truck: Ford 350 Class minimum. 2007-now
Engine: Cummins 12 valve inline 6.

Why? Ford front end is better, more durable, longer lasting. Cummins is a medium duty truck engine that gets 500,000+ miles easy. Not to mention this engine is easy to work on, gets awesome fuel efficiency, and is common for parts. There is a famous one cruising the nation with I believe close to 1,000,000 documented miles on the engine.

I have several mechanic buddies who discuss this issue ad nauseum.

There are several services that do the engine swap.
http://www.fordcummins.com/

There are several that have a 1,000,000 mile badge or 750,000 mile badge. Powerstrokes are getting there now because of the improved ones coming in around 99. I have two friends with power strokes with 400k + and several cummins with same.

I would LOVE a hilux especially for hunting and everyday work. I have seen/heard of a few in the US

HES
06-02-13, 23:02
Get both :D

II had a GMC 1500 HD. great for everything unless I was traveling and needed to stop some where and run inside. So I got an Expedition EL. SAME size as a Suburban but more comfortable. I bitched about not being able to dump a yard of mulch in the bed until I take a long trip. There is no one size fits all answer.

usmcvet
06-03-13, 07:49
My F150 is the same way. Only a 5.5 foot bed with the tailgate closed so that kinda sucks. Of course in '06 they changed the frame to give it a 6.5 foot bed. Figures. The bed extender dealie is pretty nice to have.

Tell you what, that 2014 Silverado is looking pretty good to me.

Yeah just goggled it. 5'8" and 6'6" for the extended cab and of course 8' for the standard cab. I measured it once, when I was paying for firewood by the pick up load! It was an eye opener. I was cutting my own from tops at a landing. We renegotiated the price after that. I believe your Ford bed is much deeper. What's happening in 2014 to the silverado?

usmcvet
06-03-13, 07:52
20ish gallon tank in my Frontier. I get 12mpg in the city and can get 20 on the highway. I take the trolley/subway to work daily so a tank of gas can last a month.

Damn I gas up once a week sometimes more.

Get both :D

II had a GMC 1500 HD. great for everything unless I was traveling and needed to stop some where and run inside. So I got an Expedition EL. SAME size as a Suburban but more comfortable. I bitched about not being able to dump a yard of mulch in the bed until I take a long trip. There is no one size fits all answer.

Longer bed in the 1500 HD right? I think the crew cab has/had the 6'6" bed. Do they still make them?

One thing I need to add. Don't get the Z71 unless you really need it. There is a huge difference in the comfort of the ride. I don't need the Z71 but have it. I will not get it again.

gunrunner505
06-03-13, 08:34
Yeah just goggled it. 5'8" and 6'6" for the extended cab and of course 8' for the standard cab. I measured it once, when I was paying for firewood by the pick up load! It was an eye opener. I was cutting my own from tops at a landing. We renegotiated the price after that. I believe your Ford bed is much deeper. What's happening in 2014 to the silverado?

The walls on the F150 bed are higher so you have more enclosed volume but that's probably 50/50 on a good or bad thing I think. I haven't run into a situation where the shorter bed really screws me though so that's a win.

The new Silverado is a complete redesign. All new interior. It's a nice rig. I'll give it a couple years to work out the kinks but I'm interested in it.

Ryno12
06-03-13, 09:25
Yeah just goggled it. 5'8" and 6'6" for the extended cab and of course 8' for the standard cab.

I think it's an ass ache with the short bed. Always seems like whatever I need to haul is 5'9". The 3/4 & 1 tons are the longer beds. I think the 1/2 ton HD also is, at least for my model year (06). Not sure why GM does that, doesn't make sense to me. 6' should be the minimum IMO. I wish they still made the 3/4 ton Avalanche, that would be right in my wheelhouse & fit my hauling/family duties perfectly. It's also secure (with its removable panels) as I'm not a fan of caps or tonneau covers.

Sent via Tapatalk

montanadave
06-03-13, 09:44
Have you considered the Canyonero?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG5FKsH3-F4

"Can you name the truck with four wheel drive. Smells like a steak, and seats thirty five? Canyonero!"

"She blinds everybody with her super high beams. She's a squirrel-squashin', deer-smackin' drivin' machine, Canyonero!"

And it's endorsed by Krusty the Clown!

Watrdawg
06-03-13, 09:53
About 6 years ago I went through this same decision process. Except I already had the SUV. It was a Suburban. What made me start thinking about this was going on a duck hunt with 2 of my buddies. I was driving. Once we loaded up all our gear and my dog the vehicle was completely jam packed. I came to the conclusion that if I had a crew cab truck with a shell on the back of the bed I could load my dog and all my gear in the back and have the cab completely open for passengers. I ended up with a GMC 2500HD diesel. I've never looked back and wouldnt think of going back to a gas engined vehicle. I keep a tool box bolted down to the bed and with the shell over the bed I can load up a ton of gear and keep it dry.

Ryno12
06-03-13, 09:57
Have you considered the Canyonero?

Are they available in black?

Sent via Tapatalk

brickboy240
06-03-13, 11:57
It really depends on your lifestyle and what you do.

An SUV is worthless to me because I have an ATV and motorcycle and mt. bikes that won't fit inside an SUV. I also haul plants, rocks and other dirty things that would crud up the interior of an SUV.

Your needs might vary...depends on what you do and what you haul around.

If you never tow or go off road and do not haul dirty things...you really don't need a pickup.

-brickboy240

jmoore
06-03-13, 12:13
I've gone both routes and have settled with a Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4. Diesels are fine - but I've been too many places where I was low and there was only gasoline available. I do very good PM, so I still expect a good 200k out of the Hemi.

Regarding secure storage, I've split the difference, i.e., pistols yes, carbine, no. I installed a cold-rolled steel safe in the lower console. It's bolted through the bottom of the safe and into the frame/transmission housing. Jimmy-proof? No. Would it take a hell of a lot of time & effort? Yes:) OK for pistols, camera, money and paperwork - not the long guns, though.

john

usmcvet
06-03-13, 13:15
The walls on the F150 bed are higher so you have more enclosed volume but that's probably 50/50 on a good or bad thing I think. I haven't run into a situation where the shorter bed really screws me though so that's a win.

The new Silverado is a complete redesign. All new interior. It's a nice rig. I'll give it a couple years to work out the kinks but I'm interested in it.

I stopped cutting my own wood. Its cheaper time and gas wise to just buy it delivered. The amount if time I spent loading and hauling the wood from the wood lot was not worth it. I'm glad I did it. But it didn't make sense for me. The deeper F150 box would have helped.

I think it's an ass ache with the short bed. Always seems like whatever I need to haul is 5'9". The 3/4 & 1 tons are the longer beds. I think the 1/2 ton HD also is, at least for my model year (06). Not sure why GM does that, doesn't make sense to me. 6' should be the minimum IMO. I wish they still made the 3/4 ton Avalanche, that would be right in my wheelhouse & fit my hauling/family duties perfectly. It's also secure (with its removable panels) as I'm not a fan of caps or tonneau covers.

Sent via Tapatalk

I think its to keep the OAL the same. Just eyballling it the 1509 crew cab, extended and standard cab all have the same OAL.

HES
06-03-13, 15:38
Longer bed in the 1500 HD right? I think the crew cab has/had the 6'6" bed. Do they still make them?
My 1500HD (03) had the crew cab (not just the extended cab) and the standard sized bed, not the short bed, not the long bed. To be honest I liked it a lot. The seating in the 1500HD beats the snot out of what is in the Ford line. However after blowing through two engines due to a complete failure of two thermostats, and GMs refusal to acknowledge this design flaw and cover the repair costs I've promised to never buy another.

Another reason why I went with an Expedition EL besides being able to carry my hunting / fishing / camping / shooting gear securely is that I have kids and they have lots of friends and I have scouts. So I'm able to easily carry 8 passengers, plus have decent cargo space in the rear and have the roof top storage. For when I need to transport bulk items like mulch, I borrow someone's trailer. An additional bonus is that with the EL I can fit a twin mattress in there and sleep in there for some camping / hunting trips.

As for what I would do in the future: If I buy another P/U it'll be a Toyota Tundra. The pity is they don't make a crew cab with a standard bed, only the short 5' bed AFAIK. If Toyota made a 3/4 ton with crew cab and standard bed I would sell one of the kids for it. For an SUV, my dream is for Toyota to make a Sequoia that is the same size as a suburban or Expedition EL. Or bring back the Excursion

gunrunner505
06-03-13, 15:55
My 1500HD (03) had the crew cab (not just the extended cab) and the standard sized bed, not the short bed, not the long bed. To be honest I liked it a lot. The seating in the 1500HD beats the snot out of what is in the Ford line. However after blowing through two engines due to a complete failure of two thermostats, and GMs refusal to acknowledge this design flaw and cover the repair costs I've promised to never buy another.

Another reason why I went with an Expedition EL besides being able to carry my hunting / fishing / camping / shooting gear securely is that I have kids and they have lots of friends and I have scouts. So I'm able to easily carry 8 passengers, plus have decent cargo space in the rear and have the roof top storage. For when I need to transport bulk items like mulch, I borrow someone's trailer. An additional bonus is that with the EL I can fit a twin mattress in there and sleep in there for some camping / hunting trips.

As for what I would do in the future: If I buy another P/U it'll be a Toyota Tundra. The pity is they don't make a crew cab with a standard bed, only the short 5' bed AFAIK. If Toyota made a 3/4 ton with crew cab and standard bed I would sell one of the kids for it. For an SUV, my dream is for Toyota to make a Sequoia that is the same size as a suburban or Expedition EL. Or bring back the Excursion

We had a Sequoia before the suburban. We got rid of it when we had our 3rd munchkin as we needed all 3 rows and with the 3rd row in use there is zero cargo space in a Sequoia. It's a really nice rig if you're 4 people. Probably the biggest most versatile interior. The truck had a ton of power and a good ride. My biggest problem with it besides cargo space was range. That thing had no legs at all. If they made a bigger one that could get more than 300 miles to a tank it would be awesome.

My father in law has an 07 Tundra. Nice truck. Same range problem.

tb-av
06-03-13, 16:29
My 1500HD (03)
As for what I would do in the future: If I buy another P/U it'll be a Toyota Tundra. The pity is they don't make a crew cab with a standard bed, only the short 5' bed AFAIK.

They make the double cab with all three beds. crew cab on gets short bed.

The_War_Wagon
06-03-13, 16:52

RC has a 34 gal. tank - I can fill it for $120.70 here! :D