PDA

View Full Version : apendix holster belt attachment preference

bubba04
06-02-13, 22:22
I have been using a vg2 since they came out to carry my g19. I am looking to to change holsters to something that wont move quite as much, and am currently eyeing this:

www.jmcustomkydex.com/p/AIWB.html

for those that carry appendix, do you prefer the kydex loops or the leather straps. I was thinking the kydex may offer a more stable plstform, which is what i am looking for. I appeciate ut,

Up1911fan
06-02-13, 22:33
A split kydex loop would be the best of both worlds. I have two of the JM AIWB, one with a solid loop, one split. I usually wear the solid loop, but the split loop allow's me to keep the holster in the same place with certain pants.

bubba04
06-02-13, 22:34
Cool thanks. Based on you owning 2 of JM's holsters I assume you like them.

Up1911fan
06-02-13, 22:40
Love them. With the extra tuck option it's the only holster I like more than the Shaggy. He also makes the belt loops in high or low ride. I have both, but it's going to be completely end user dependent what works best for you. I have several holsters from Tony, I prefer his OWB to the RCS's i've had as well. Lot's of options.

Trajan
06-02-13, 23:09
Never used a solid kydex loop, but I have to ask why? It will force you to thread it through your belt.

I've been using the Dark Star Gear AIWB for a month now. I have never had a holster that places the gun absolutely perfectly in your hand on the draw.

dookie1481
06-03-13, 10:51
I have been using a vg2 since they came out to carry my g19. I am looking to to change holsters to something that wont move quite as much, and am currently eyeing this:

www.jmcustomkydex.com/p/AIWB.html

for those that carry appendix, do you prefer the kydex loops or the leather straps. I was thinking the kydex may offer a more stable plstform, which is what i am looking for. I appeciate ut,

That's a good holster. Having used both solid kydex loop and leather straps pretty extensively, I GREATLY prefer the leather straps. The straps are much less obtrusive and don't preclude placing your holster at certain positions, as the belt loops won't get in the way like they would with the wide loop. They straps seem to print less, too.

pr1042
06-03-13, 11:20
Have a JM Custom AIWB with extra tuck/solid kydex loop

I prefer the loop over the leather straps because it prints less for me. However, this was using the Raven Concealment IWB loops. I've been told that the loops Tony uses lay flatter and print less.

theblackknight
06-03-13, 14:47
I have the JM with leather loops since last July. I'm not sure I'd like the kydex ones ,But I wouldn't know until trying.

Its a great holster, until your 6 year old comp etc belt is wore out:D I'm waiting on a talon belt in the mail.

sent from mah gun,using my sights

TAZ
06-03-13, 21:54
The choice is going to depend greatly on your carry position and body style. For me the leather loops were way too thick and stuck out like sore thumbs. Even thinner loops like those from Raven were not ideal. I have found that the solid loop works best for my body and carry position which is closer to 1:00. I merely butt the solid loop up against the first belt loop of my trousers. So far this position conceals well and is comfortable for 14-16 hour days.

LightningFast
06-03-13, 22:47
Having both, I prefer the loop. It's more stable, and conceals better. The loops are convenient on days you know you'll be taking the holster off frequently.

The split kydex loop seems to be the best option IMO.

GTM
06-04-13, 10:04
This isn't exactly what you're asking, but I have both and I prefer the VG2. I keep coming back to it. I've found the extra-tuck feature of the JM adds considerable bulk to the holster. While the extra-tuck does pull the grip into the body, under a T-shirt or polo shirt the extra bulk makes me appear to have a tumor even if I'm using my Wilderness Tactical belt, but especially if I use my Crossbreed leather belt. The VG2, on the other hand, easily disappears under a T-shirt and polo shirt. It does move around a little bit, but I've found that it moves naturally with the body. I'm seriously considering selling the JM. I use it for dry-fire/range work, but for carry I go back to the VG2.

Desmond82
06-04-13, 13:16
Split loop
High ride
Extra tuck
Medium guard
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/05/eregymys.jpg

B52U
06-04-13, 14:19
This isn't exactly what you're asking, but I have both and I prefer the VG2. I keep coming back to it. I've found the extra-tuck feature of the JM adds considerable bulk to the holster. While the extra-tuck does pull the grip into the body, under a T-shirt or polo shirt the extra bulk makes me appear to have a tumor even if I'm using my Wilderness Tactical belt, but especially if I use my Crossbreed leather belt. The VG2, on the other hand, easily disappears under a T-shirt and polo shirt. It does move around a little bit, but I've found that it moves naturally with the body. I'm seriously considering selling the JM. I use it for dry-fire/range work, but for carry I go back to the VG2.

I have both as well and agree with your obvservations. Results vary with body type of course. I love the consistent stable draw from the JM and the barrier between me and the weapon, but the vg2 is more comfortable with no belt bulge. Instead of belt bulge you get slight printing at the grip, but not anything major. I also like the quick on/off without undoing your belt. I do hate how the vg2 can flip up on a draw sometimes and poke the hell out of your gut. Compromises! I'll keep both.

As far as loops go, the split kydex loop is a good option. On some pants I have to put a belt loop between loops to get the right position.

tmoore912
06-05-13, 09:59
A split kydex loop would be the best of both worlds. I have two of the JM AIWB, one with a solid loop, one split. I usually wear the solid loop, but the split loop allow's me to keep the holster in the same place with certain pants.

I agree with Up1911fan. I've used kydex loops and Pull-the-Dot straps on several AIWB holsters and prefer the Kydex loops. My two JM Custom Kydex holsters have the kydex loops. I don't like the angle of the gun to move toward the belt, which interferes with a good draw. I know others prefer the straps because it lets the gun move a little for comfort. It really depends on your priorities, because either way will get the job done. Good luck.

JSantoro
06-05-13, 15:05
I think that AIWB is more position- and body-type-sensitive than others, which makes it difficult (not impossible...) for folks to push much gouge besides how X, Y, or Z affects them.

I've found that close-set soft/snap loops allow too much movement of the holser. The grip angle shifting just a little bit can turn a draw into an abortion, just as .5" of difference in any axis can mean the difference between something wearable or feeling like wearing a bear-trap for underwear. Nothing bad about roll or pitch, but the amount of yaw on those things, allowing the butt to move....just didn't work for me. There's gonna no shortage of folks for whom close-set soft loops stabilize very well, or for whom the flex of those things will benefit.

Soft loops, further apart = better for me. Most common usage at the moment is the M&P9 holstered in a Raven ACR, which has a strut that puts the loops +/-5" apart (never actually measured). This stabilizes the holster quite well in terms of yaw (i.e., there is none) despite the flexible nature of the material used on the loops. That kind of spread is sorta necessary, because...

...presuming a RH shooter, and the left of the two loops being the "inboard" one...

...if the outboard loop is 2-3" away form the inboard one, there's a good chance that the snap is gonna ride right where it'd interfere with establishing a firing grip. I toyed with the idea of making the strut shorter and bringing the loops closer together, but it would have put the snap right in the way of my hand. So, further outboard seems pretty necessary to get better stability and no impediments. Takes up a lot of space, and some folks will likely find that the outboard end of a strut like that can create a sharp hotspot, depending upon 1) where it ends up, and 2) whether or not your body will simply get used to it.

I've a Shaggy inbound, ideally sometime relatively soon if the lead-times remain valid; I'll be trying a dedicated, type-specific solid loop for AIWB. Until then, I can only guess...except for the fact that I already am using a solid-loop holster, since I got a HK P30...sorta.

On a whim, I picked up one of these: http://shop.blade-tech.com/index.php?cPath=1_13_19...just have something besides a Safariland 6378 for the warbelt and a normal OWB holster. I drilled some new holes in the UCH to move the arm up and change the angle to more of a straight drop (managed to get it right on the first try, thankfully...). The way they formed the loop on that one puts the top of my belt, where it goes through the loop, above my waistband a bit. BUT...it's pretty stable. To the point that it's worth losing the ability to don/doff the holster without having to remove my belt.

A wider solid loop would probably be even more stable, but I won't know that for certain until I get some time using one. Using a narrow solid loop has made that look promising, however.

There's folks that've found the same things I have, others that think I'm nuts. Kick in the stones is....everybody's right and wrong at the same time, simply given the nature or AIWB. It can maddening; if you think you were trying out a lot of traditional-carry holsters to find the "right" one.....just wait!