PDA

View Full Version : Traveling with multiple firearms

duckknot
06-03-13, 16:52
Hey all,

So i am moving cross country this coming July and I am looking at options for transportation. I have flown with guns before but it was always just one at a time. This time i will be flying with an AR15, XDM and a remington 870 and a compound bow. Can i take them all in one case or do they have to be separate? I've seen online of people traveling with multiple handguns but haven't seen much on traveling with long guns and handguns. anyone have any experience or knowledge on this topic? I also have ammunition powder and primers that i need to transport, i'm planning to look at UPS and FedEx, anyone know if this is possible or have tips?

knot

AKDoug
06-03-13, 17:02
I have flown several times with a handgun, shotgun and AR in the same case. I have also flown several times with a compound bow and a firearm in the same case. Neither have caused any issues.

netchemica
06-03-13, 17:18
This is what I fly with from time to time:
http://i.imgur.com/tkLzFl.jpg

I have also packed my handgun into a small pelican case and packed that into my check in luggage. Also no issue. Just don't bring more than 10lbs of ammo and make sure you're within weight/size restrictions for your case.

ST911
06-03-13, 17:21
Unless your airline says otherwise, you can generally load a case to whatever oversize or overweight charge you're willing to pay. I'll defer to others on reloading components.

We have a bunch of threads on flying with firearms and interstate travel. When searching, I recommend combinations of interstate/moving/flying/travel/firearm.

netchemica
06-03-13, 17:23
Unless your airline says otherwise, you can generally load a case to whatever oversize or overweight charge you're willing to pay. I'll defer to others on reloading components.

We have a bunch of threads on flying with firearms and interstate travel. When searching, I recommend combinations of interstate/moving/flying/travel/firearm.

True, but you are limited to 10lbs of ammo.

ST911
06-03-13, 17:27

Ah yes, ammo-specific weight restrictions. I stand corrected.

Slab
06-03-13, 18:12
Never had a problem with multiple long guns in a single case until we went to escape Oahu. Turns out the airline had a policy that limited the number of long guns that could be in a single case. We had to switch to a sister airline as it was too late in the day to buy an additional case... Had nothing to do with weight, just count… I would check with the airline(s) you intend to fly on…

Suwannee Tim
06-03-13, 21:21
This is what I fly with from time to time:
http://i.imgur.com/tkLzFl.jpg

I have also packed my handgun into a small pelican case and packed that into my check in luggage. Also no issue. Just don't bring more than 10lbs of ammo and make sure you're within weight/size restrictions for your case.

Not with shotgun shells in the case I'm sure. I'm sure everyone knows you can't have ammo in the case when you fly. You also can't transport primers or powder by air. You may have a problem shipping your pyrotechnics by UPS or Fedex as I seem to recall they have restrictions on who they will accept hazmat shipments from. Your hazmat shipment also has to be packaged in certain ways that I do not know. Of course they will not know what is in the box unless you tell them. In my recent experience UPS always required a description of the contents, Fedex is much less demanding in that regard especially if the package is not insured or not insured for big money.

Iraqgunz
06-03-13, 23:28
Ammo can be in the same case as the weapon as long as the rounds are packaged. They can also be in mags, but that varies from airline to airline.

Not with shotgun shells in the case I'm sure. I'm sure everyone knows you can't have ammo in the case when you fly. You also can't transport primers or powder by air. You may have a problem shipping your pyrotechnics by UPS or Fedex as I seem to recall they have restrictions on who they will accept hazmat shipments from. Your hazmat shipment also has to be packaged in certain ways that I do not know. Of course they will not know what is in the box unless you tell them. In my recent experience UPS always required a description of the contents, Fedex is much less demanding in that regard especially if the package is not insured or not insured for big money.

Iraqgunz
06-03-13, 23:31
This topic has been discussed multiple times. The reason you didn't see it in the AR General Discussion Area is because this isn't an AR topic.

Alaskapopo
06-03-13, 23:52

False actually. It depends on the Airline. Alaska Airlines allows 50 pounds. Delta and most others limit it to 11 pounds. Travel with the Airlines rules printed and with the ammo. I attend three gun matches down south and this last year I had to bring all my ammo with me. Some 200 shotgun rounds 300 rifle and 300 pistol.
pat

Eurodriver
06-04-13, 02:16
Never had a problem with multiple long guns in a single case until we went to escape Oahu. Turns out the airline had a policy that limited the number of long guns that could be in a single case. We had to switch to a sister airline as it was too late in the day to buy an additional case... Had nothing to do with weight, just count… I would check with the airline(s) you intend to fly on…

When was this and what airline?

When I left Kbay I brought 3 or 4 rifles in a single pelican 1700 case. No issues. Think it was delta

Alpha Sierra
06-04-13, 04:04
I'm sure everyone knows you can't have ammo in the case when you fly.
Never mind, already addressed

JSantoro
06-04-13, 08:17
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=86345