PDA

View Full Version : 1000 yards standing...

WillBrink
06-03-13, 17:51
Anyone seen this?

1000 yards, Barret .50, standing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3BUnHiv6AA&feature=youtu.be

My understanding is the Barret is not known for its impressive accuracy no?

OrdnanceLocker
06-03-13, 19:52
It was a good shot, but lady luck was smiling on him. He even said himself he likely wouldn't hit it.

luvmy40
06-05-13, 09:08
Impressive to say the least!

I loved it when he set the rifle down and said:dirol: "I'm done."

black22rifle
06-05-13, 09:17
Anyone seen this?

1000 yards, Barret .50, standing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3BUnHiv6AA&feature=youtu.be

My understanding is the Barret is not known for its impressive accuracy no?

Really? I always thought it was.

Littlelebowski
06-05-13, 09:22

No, they're not.

WillBrink
06-05-13, 09:43

My understanding was no, it's not known for its accuracy, but not my lane, so I was asking it as a Q vs making a statement of fact per se.

WillBrink
06-05-13, 09:44
No, they're not.

Someone once said "they are 3-4 MOA of car" :D

Alex V
06-05-13, 11:21
very impressive.

was that the host of Top Shop there at the end?

Kokopelli
06-05-13, 11:28
I saw that yesterday..Awesome shot either way! Ron

markm
06-05-13, 11:32
That's Kids' stuff! :p

Never tried that one. :eek:

WillBrink
06-05-13, 11:49
very impressive.

was that the host of Top Shop there at the end?

Yup, that's him.

mtdawg169
06-05-13, 12:51
Yup, that's him.

I forgot that he was a Texas boy. Pretty impressive work & alot of luck for the shooter.

Moltke
06-05-13, 14:20
Skill, luck, whatever. Sometimes it's better to be lucky.

markm
06-05-13, 14:30
Skill, luck, whatever. Sometimes it's better to be lucky.

Well I guarantee you don't make that shot on pure luck.... but just based on the accuracy of that weapon and ammo... a little luck played a little role.

Moltke
06-05-13, 14:35
Not saying this wasn't an aimed, slow fire shot by a guy who knows how to shoot... but hitting a hanging B/C steel while standing unsupported at 1000 yards with a Barrett... is luck.

markm
06-05-13, 14:37
Not saying this wasn't an aimed, slow fire shot by a guy who knows how to shoot... but hitting a hanging B/C steel while standing unsupported at 1000 yards with a Barrett... is luck.

Agreed... and the shooter knew it to. He picked up his chips and walked away. :p

Moltke
06-05-13, 14:39
Agreed... and the shooter knew it to. He picked up his chips and walked away. :p

I would have also then gone to the local convenience store and bought a lotto ticket too just to see if I was on a streak.

WillBrink
06-05-13, 18:00

"Luck is the residue of design" - Branch Rickey ;)

strambo
06-05-13, 20:48
I'd say his skill would get him close with any (reasonable) rifle, hitting it vs. a close miss was luck. Anyone else notice the stovepipe? :eek:

steyrman13
06-05-13, 20:55
I'd say his skill would get him close with any (reasonable) rifle, hitting it vs. a close miss was luck. Anyone else notice the stovepipe? :eek:

I think they were using it as an empty chamber/locked back indicator. The shell he fired definitely clears the weapon and almost hits the camera

goodoleboy
06-05-13, 22:20
I have a broken watch in my dresser drawer that hasn't run in 10 years and it's dead on twice a day. Regardless, if I made a 1,000 yard shot standing with a Barrett, it would be on youtube if there was a camera in sight.

VooDoo6Actual
06-06-13, 14:23
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e225/teehee321/Barrett502copy_zps95ba2e90.png (http://s40.photobucket.com/user/teehee321/media/Barrett502copy_zps95ba2e90.png.html)
Wow sure are some interesting comments...

WillBrink
06-06-13, 14:30
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e225/teehee321/Barrett502copy_zps95ba2e90.png (http://s40.photobucket.com/user/teehee321/media/Barrett502copy_zps95ba2e90.png.html)
Wow sure are some interesting comments...

That member has not posted here in a long time if I'm making the correct connection. Tried to make contact via email (to which he's was traditionally pretty fast on the response) and got nadda.

He was actually the one who turned me onto M4C.

Doc. Holiday
06-06-13, 15:28
Pretty rad video. Thanks for sharing.

Army Chief
06-06-13, 15:47
Time to confess my ignorance. On the (in)accuracy question, is this something to be associated with the Barrett specifically, or are there just some common sense limitations on what can really be done with the .50 BMG accuracy-wise at distance?

Can't say as I've ever come across anything that speaks specifically to the inherent accuracy of the cartridge itself. I'm assuming there must be other, more capable systems out there, based upon the above impressions. Just how straight and true can we really get that much lead to fly?

AC

sadmin
06-06-13, 15:49
That member has not posted here in a long time if I'm making the correct connection. Tried to make contact via email (to which he's was traditionally pretty fast on the response) and got nadda.

He was actually the one who turned me onto M4C.

Voodoo is said member...or I thought so anyway.
He probably has the most insight on this topic it would seem.

markm
06-06-13, 15:53
Time to confess my ignorance. On the (in)accuracy question, is this something to be associated with the Barrett specifically, or are there just some common sense limitations on what can really be done with the .50 BMG accuracy-wise at distance?

Can't say as I've ever come across anything that speaks specifically to the inherent accuracy of the cartridge itself. I'm assuming there must be other, more capable systems out there, based upon the above impressions. Just how straight and true can we really get that much lead to fly?

AC

Our Riflesmith is building a monster that he expects to shoot better than that. He had some AMAX or some match variant of bullet they were going to load for it. I think it's a combo of a Mil grade barrel and the common loadings available.

I'm not light weight... and there was NO WAY I could shoulder this beat off hand. No action or scope on it yet.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/trixiebud/LWbarrel3.jpg

WillBrink
06-06-13, 15:59
Voodoo is said member...or I thought so anyway.
He probably has the most insight on this topic it would seem.

That's not the member I was thinking of, but he had a very similar pic. I think the name he went by here was Hoplite or something similar.

WillBrink
06-06-13, 16:01

AC

I don't know what the inherent accuracy of the .50 BMG is using top quality ammo, but my understanding is the Barret specifically is not known for its accuracy as a platform.

Army Chief
06-06-13, 16:02
That's not the member I was thinking of, but he had a very similar pic. I think the name he went by here was Hoplite or something similar.

Member HOPLOETHOS asked that his username be changed to VooDoo6Actual a few months back. I only remember because I was the one that changed it.

Does that solve any mysteries?

AC

markm
06-06-13, 16:06
I don't know what the inherent accuracy of the .50 BMG is using top quality ammo,

And a Krieger barrel. ;)

There are 50 cal competitions and what not. There's more accuracy possible than the barrett seems to deliver. The barrett's strenghths are elsewhere.

WillBrink
06-06-13, 16:08
Member HOPLOETHOS asked that his username be changed to VooDoo6Actual a few months back. I only remember because I was the one that changed it.

Does that solve any mysteries?

AC

It does, thanx. I tried to run a member search under that name and got a "Invalid User specified" so he may have closed that account and is no longer a member or under yet another name.

VooDoo6Actual
06-06-13, 16:49
http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a467364.pdf

page CRS 3

"In skilled hands and known wind conditions, such a rifle can be used to place five shots within a 6-inch circle at a range of over one-half mile (1,000 yards)."

From my experience it depends. Some are sub MOA capable & some are not. Sometimes, it's the Nut behind the Butt...

Anti-personel (AP) /Anti-material (AM) is another area that should be noted depending on efficacy or mission profile.

M1 Tracer, Incendiary
M2 Ball, Armor-Piercing, M2
M8 Black Tip Armor-Piercing-Incendiary
M10 orange Tip Tracer for observing fire, signaling, target designation, and incendiary purposes.
M17 Tracer
M20 Tracer for observing fire, signaling, target designation, and incendiary purposes. Can be fired from the M82/M107 series of rifles. Armor-Piercing-Incendiary-Tracer
M21 Red Tip w/ ring of Aluminum paint in place of the armor-piercing round, against armored, flammable targets, with a tracer element for observation purposes. This cartridge is effectively a variant of the M8 Armor-Piercing Incendiary with the added tracer element. Can be fired from the M82/M107 series of rifles. Tracer, Headlight
M23 Tracer for use in observing fire during air-to-air combat. Designed to be more visible, the M21 is 3 times more brilliant than the M1 tracer, Incendiary
M33 Blue light blue ring unarmored, flammable targets. The tip of the bullet is painted blue with a light blue ring. This cartridge is used against personnel and unarmored targets. Can be fired from the M82/M107 series of rifles.
M903 Saboted Light Armor Penetrator 355 – 360 gr (23.00 – 23.33 g) heavy metal (tungsten) penetrator that is sabot-launched at a muzzle velocity of 4,000 ft/s (1,219 m/s). The 0.30 in (7.7 mm) diameter sabot, which is designed to break up at the muzzle to release the penetrator, must also survive the gun environment until launch. It is injection molded of special high strength plastic and is reinforced with an aluminum insert in the base section. The cartridge is identified by an amber sabot (Ultem 1000). For use only in the M2 series of machine guns. This round can penetrate 19mm of steel armor at 1500 yards.
M962 Saboted Light Armor Penetrator-Tracer, M962 Saboted Light Armor Penetrator (SLAP) round, with the only difference being that the M962 also has a tracer element for observing fire, target designation, and incendiary purposes. It uses red colored plastic sabot for identification.
XM1022 Ball A long-range match cartridge specifically designed for long range work using the M107 rifle.
RAUFOSS Mk 211 / Mk 211 Mod 0 Green Tip grey ring, High-Explosive-Incendiary-Armor-Piercing (HEIAP) cartridge contains a .30 caliber tungsten penetrator, zirconium powder, and Composition A explosive. It can be used in any .50 caliber weapon in US inventory with the exception of the M85 machine gun.
MK257 Armor Piercing Incendiary Dim Tracer
MK257 API-DT Purple bullet tip. The bullet has a hardened steel core and incendiary tip.
MK257 is used in machine guns M2, M3, and M85. Dim trace w/ night vision devices only.
MK300 Mod 0 Armor-Piercing-Incendiary-Tracer
M02 APEI-169Armor-Piercing-Explosive-Incendiary

Forgive me as this older data/specs (2010) so some may have been improved / replaced recently etc.

HTH...

Doc. Holiday
06-06-13, 16:51
Our Riflesmith is building a monster that he expects to shoot better than that. He had some AMAX or some match variant of bullet they were going to load for it. I think it's a combo of a Mil grade barrel and the common loadings available.

I'm not light weight... and there was NO WAY I could shoulder this beat off hand. No action or scope on it yet.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/trixiebud/LWbarrel3.jpg

Jeez, that reminds me of this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xohy9gWz7kk

steyrman13
06-06-13, 16:57

AC

There must be several "lucky" shooters out there because over half of the top 10 recorded long distance sniper kills are from a .50 and half of the .50 were from a Barrett. I was under the impression that it was accurate as a platform.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longest_recorded_sniper_kills

OrdnanceLocker
06-07-13, 11:33
There must be several "lucky" shooters out there because over half of the top 10 recorded long distance sniper kills are from a .50 and half of the .50 were from a Barrett. I was under the impression that it was accurate as a platform.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longest_recorded_sniper_kills

That's confirmed kills and 2 of those are from wars where the .338 wasn't even employed yet. Most of those long shots were also NOT first round hits, were not standing, and were walked in. I think if you were to ask any active real Sniper which issued platform they preferred for distance on live targets, NOT hard targets, they're going to say either the 338 or 300.

markm
06-07-13, 11:49
Jeez, that reminds me of this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xohy9gWz7kk

Holy Crap! :eek:

I would LITTERALLY not shoot that if given the chance.

Doc. Holiday
06-07-13, 13:09

Seriously....it's a total "bragging gun" completely pointless. Especially when each round costs $70...

Doc. Holiday
06-07-13, 13:12
I think if you were to ask any active real Sniper which issued platform they preferred for distance on live targets, NOT hard targets, they're going to say either the 338 or 300.

In Tactical Weapons magazine, they had article on the military and the chances of them moving from the .308 M24 to a .300. Nothing is concrete yet according to my knowledge, but I know they snipers out there really dig the 300 and .338.

markm
06-07-13, 13:16
In Tactical Weapons magazine, they had article on the military and the chances of them moving from the .308 M24 to a .300. Nothing is concrete yet according to my knowledge, but I know they snipers out there really dig the 300 and .338.

We shed about 4 mils in elevation adjustment between the 308 and 300WM at 1000 yards... AND we sling a heavier bullet with the Win Mag.

WillBrink
06-07-13, 14:40
We shed about 4 mils in elevation adjustment between the 308 and 300WM at 1000 yards... AND we sling a heavier bullet with the Win Mag.

As the 300 has been around a long time, making it a mature cartridge and platform, and i always hear what a solid performer it is in general with a wide envelope of use, is there some reason it has not been more wide spread adopted as the go to caliber beyond the 308?

jpmuscle
06-07-13, 16:43

There is a big thread over on the hide about the resurgence and expansion of 300 in mil circles. I'll see if I can find it. But I could only pick one rifle cal it would be 300.

steyrman13
06-07-13, 22:39
That's confirmed kills and 2 of those are from wars where the .338 wasn't even employed yet. Most of those long shots were also NOT first round hits, were not standing, and were walked in. I think if you were to ask any active real Sniper which issued platform they preferred for distance on live targets, NOT hard targets, they're going to say either the 338 or 300.

I understand that, but I was referring to the .50 cartridge being capable of being Moa or sub Moa. Including the Barrett. You do realize even an Moa gun or 1/2 Moa at 2500 yards would still at best have a 12-25" group. A head is only about 8" wide and shoulders around 24" wide. I wasn't saying it was better for soft targets than 338, but it is still an accurate platform.

ClearedHot
06-08-13, 00:25

The SASR does not hold its claimed 1MOA accuracy. Even with match ammo, it's still not really capable of 1.5 or 2MOA.

SURVIVORTYPE
06-08-13, 01:30

This is already happening with the 300 WM. Its already being used as we speak using the M-24 platform. Also no, the barrets are not known for accuracy. The barrel moves too much to reduce recoil on the shooter using springs. You get much more accuracy in a bedded stock and action. Shot to shot is not as consistent with a barret. It is more anti-material than anti-personel.

gun71530
06-08-13, 02:41

The M2010 has been used in Afghanistan for quite sometime.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

markm
06-08-13, 11:08
This one is coming along. Almost ready to shoot.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/trixiebud/aa1_zps681bab53.jpg

OrdnanceLocker
06-08-13, 12:06
I understand that, but I was referring to the .50 cartridge being capable of being Moa or sub Moa. Including the Barrett. You do realize even an Moa gun or 1/2 Moa at 2500 yards would still at best have a 12-25" group. A head is only about 8" wide and shoulders around 24" wide. I wasn't saying it was better for soft targets than 338, but it is still an accurate platform.

Correct, but we're not discussing the .50 cartridge in general. We were discussing the Barret which IMO is not a sub-MOA platform. And he was shooting 1K meters/yards at what appeared to be a full size IPSC which is almost 2 MOA at that distance. Fact is even the shooter didn't think he'd make the shot which he says at 01:05 in the video. Movies and other crap have glorified the M82 as some sort of precision Sniper weapon for long shots on small targets and it's not.

VooDoo6Actual
06-08-13, 18:27
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pP_KSgmNqRM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsDPxAQdd30

steyrman13
06-08-13, 21:23
Correct, but we're not discussing the .50 cartridge in general. We were discussing the Barret which IMO is not a sub-MOA platform. And he was shooting 1K meters/yards at what appeared to be a full size IPSC which is almost 2 MOA at that distance. Fact is even the shooter didn't think he'd make the shot which he says at 01:05 in the video. Movies and other crap have glorified the M82 as some sort of precision Sniper weapon for long shots on small targets and it's not.

I understand there are better platforms. If you look I had quoted AC's question as to platform only or cartridge in general. The 50 can be a precision round. The platform is definitely better out of a Steyr HS50 (world champion shoots this! ;). He and LAV shot it on Tac TV a couple episodes back) or the McMillan 50,etc. I was just saying that the Barrett is by no means inaccurate or there wouldn't be as many confirmed kills at those ridiculous distances with a weapon that could only hit a tank sized target etc.

Benito
06-09-13, 20:49
That's one hell of a shot. I don't know jack about .50's but regardless of caliber, 1000 standing with such a heavy-ass rifle is damn impressive.

MistWolf
06-10-13, 00:33
Like any other caliber, the 50 BMG is as accurate as the quality of the load allows. Loaded correctly, it's capable of really good precision.

A bit of trivia- the 50 BMG is simply the 30-06 scaled up

Arctic1
06-10-13, 06:38
The Barrett M82 wasn't developed as a sniper rifle to use on personnel. The main role for the weapon is/was anti-materiel rifle.

There are many better dedicated sniper platforms out there, in big calibers, but the Barrett is still capable of scoring hits on both personnel and vehicles. Granted, if you are only shooting for groups on paper, it probably isn't the right gun.

We use the Mk211 Raufoss ammo, it's BC is .581 (G1) and it is the most accurate round in our arsenal for that weapon. We have been very successful in dispatching bad guys with it in Afghanistan.

I know the Norwegian sniper listed in the Wikipedia article on long range sniper kills, and it was a first round hit. The Taliban fighter that he hit was split in two, as the round was set off when it impacted his chest rig and AK Magazines.

Doc. Holiday
06-10-13, 08:46
The M2010 has been used in Afghanistan for quite sometime.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I know that the military has been using other cartridges now, but this article was talking about getting rid of about 80% of the .308 snipers and replacing all them with the .300

B215R
06-14-13, 10:55
This one is coming along. Almost ready to shoot.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/trixiebud/aa1_zps681bab53.jpg

Wow! Barrel length?

markm
06-14-13, 11:26
Wow! Barrel length?

32 inches I believe he said. Right hand bolt with left side eject/port.

Doc. Holiday
06-14-13, 13:07
Why the left hand ejection?

markm
06-14-13, 13:29
Why the left hand ejection?

Not sure. :confused: It'll be used for competition, so perhaps the customer wants to be able to single feed with is left hand.

Doc. Holiday
06-14-13, 13:51
What caliber is that going to be again?

WillBrink
06-14-13, 13:53
What caliber is that going to be again?

20mm :cool:

markm
06-14-13, 14:05
20mm :cool:

That one is a Fitty Cal. But they are talking about a 20mm build too. There's just no reloading presses that big though.

SteveL
06-14-13, 14:24

I'm with you on this one.

WillBrink
06-14-13, 14:38
That one is a Fitty Cal. But they are talking about a 20mm build too. There's just no reloading presses that big though.

I know limited 20mm builds exist at least. For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ft2j6J4NcY

Not sure what the utility of such a gun would be, but it's good old 'merican fun for sure.

markm
06-14-13, 14:41
I'm with you on this one.

That sucker almost got away from a couple of those guys.

Doc. Holiday
06-14-13, 16:07
That sucker almost got away from a couple of those guys.

My coworker showed me that video several months back and cracked me up. That kind of a gun is for bragging purposes only. I would be interested to see what it's range would be if it was accurate of course.

officerX
06-14-13, 22:17
Just watched the video - THAT WAS FREAKING AWESOME!

foxtrotx1
06-15-13, 15:11
Here you go guys: http://www.anzioironworks.com/20MM-TAKE-DOWN-RIFLE.htm

20mm takedown rifle.

Doc. Holiday
06-17-13, 09:08
I imagine one would go through barrels pretty quick with a slug like that...

foxtrotx1
06-17-13, 19:19
I imagine one would go through barrels pretty quick with a slug like that...

They have a barrel burner version, 20mm necked down to 50. :eek: