PDA

View Full Version : AR dilemma, sort of.....

JB13
06-03-13, 20:18
So like most of you I am and avid shooter and have a list of things I want. Well today my wife was looking through some La Rue catalogs I have laying around and said, "Why don't you get one?". So I showed her the prices and she still okay with because I never spend money. So now I am in at a crossroads La Rue, DD, Noveske and so on so many options. Help me narrow this down.

Riddle
06-03-13, 20:22
if it matters, out of the 3 you're going to be waiting the longest for larue

Inkslinger
06-03-13, 20:22
Put the names in a hat. Win win.

El Pistolero
06-03-13, 20:36
Get a Noveske!!

https://www.m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=15471&d=1361241478

skijunkie55
06-03-13, 22:25
What price point did she approve of?

Based on a price of $2,245 for the Larur OBR you could get this by rounding up $50...

http://www.rockwellarms.com/Store/ProductDetails/Knights-Armament-SR-15E3-IWS-MOD1-Carbine-16-Barrel-30351

E-man930
06-03-13, 22:45
What price point did she approve of?

Based on a price of $2,245 for the Larur OBR you could get this by rounding up $50...

http://www.rockwellarms.com/Store/ProductDetails/Knights-Armament-SR-15E3-IWS-MOD1-Carbine-16-Barrel-30351

that sounds like a win to me

SeriousStudent
06-03-13, 22:48
What do you want to do with the carbine?

What other rifles do you already have?

Does she have a sister?

El Pistolero
06-03-13, 22:51
What do you want to do with the carbine?

What other rifles do you already have?

Does she have a sister?

All valid questions.

:D

polymorpheous
06-04-13, 00:07
I'd choose none of the above and opt for the KAC SR-15 as well.
My $.02.

jdm
06-04-13, 00:48
Put the names in a hat. Win win.

Exactly what I was thinking. All are great rifles and you wouldn't be disappointed with any of them.

Endur
06-04-13, 00:56
Noveske or BCM.

Given availability go with BCM. They have a ton of uppers in stock. G&R has some lowers in stock as well.

Bulletdog
06-04-13, 01:27
The deciding factor for me was that DD let me completely customize my rifle the way I want it. With the other companies I would have had to buy what they were offering and then spend a bunch of money customizing it the way I want it. Nothing wrong with rifles from LaRue or Noveske, but some things just boil down to personal preference.

Also DD seems to be getting them out faster than the other choices.

Having said all that, I'll never buy a complete rifle again. I paid an extra $200 for the federal excise tax and then another $200 in sales tax. There are all sorts of little hidden extra costs and I can build the same quality of rifle by assembling it myself. By assembly I mean sticking a complete upper on top of a complete lower and pushing the takedown pins through. It's a lot of fun and a good learning process too if you are up for building your own lowers. The latter is my current preferred strategy. I like to buy a stripped lower, build it how I like it, and then stick a factory built complete upper on top of it.

Good luck and congrats on picking such a great wife. I know the feeling.

Korgs130
06-04-13, 07:44
Do you currently own any ARs?

markm
06-04-13, 08:23
LaRue = Gay Hipster botique Billet homo gun.

If you want to dazzle imbeciles at the local public range... by all means. Go for it.

The other options are for actual shooting.

skijunkie55
06-04-13, 08:48

If you want to dazzle imbeciles at the local public range... by all means. Go for it.

YOU MEAN THE COSTA EDITION RIFLE I JUST SPENT $7,000 ON IS JUST A SHOW PONY?! :D

/sarcasm

no but seriously OP, go with KAC if you're looking to spend in the $2200+ range. If you're in $1,700 +/- range, go with DD and optics.

You can find some great deals on these rifles right now.

https://www.primaryarms.com/Daniel_Defense_V1_Lightweight_Rifle_5_56_NATO_16_p/da-22162.htm
DDM4V1LW - $1399

https://www.primaryarms.com/Daniel_Defense_M4_Carbine_v2_30_Round_p/da-20002.htm
DDM4V2 - $1449

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2839
DDM4V7 - $1509

Arik
06-04-13, 08:49

How so?

This is an honest question. I always thought they made excellent rifles.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Magic_Salad0892
06-04-13, 08:54
LaRue makes good rifles, but for the price, I'd get a KAC or Noveske.

markm
06-04-13, 08:54
How so?

This is an honest question. I always thought they made excellent rifles.

It's really about what you want. Do you want a Luxury car? I don't, but I don't have the same needs as someone who goes to eat sushi and sip Carmel Machiados.

From my perspective, the LaRue is overpriced nonsense. Plus you're supporting a mental case by purchasing his stuff.

Magic_Salad0892
06-04-13, 08:58
It's really about what you want. Do you want a Luxury car? I don't, but I don't have the same needs as someone who goes to eat sushi and sip Carmel Machiados.

From my perspective, the LaRue is overpriced nonsense. Plus you're supporting a mental case by purchasing his stuff.

I'll admit, based on his TOS posts, I don't care for the man...

However, he makes GREAT rifles for precision.

markm
06-04-13, 09:10
I'll admit, based on his TOS posts, I don't care for the man...

However, he makes GREAT rifles for precision.

Yeah... he's a total douche... but that's not why I don't like his rifles.

One can build a 1/2 MOA AR for much less. Get a WOA or Bergara Barrel, a FF rail, and a Geissele trigger, and you're done.

Magic_Salad0892
06-04-13, 09:13
Yeah... he's a total douche... but that's not why I don't like his rifles.

One can build a 1/2 MOA AR for much less. Get a WOA or Bergara Barrel, a FF rail, and a Geissele trigger, and you're done.

Yeah, I agree. However, for a shooter who doesn't want to assemble an AR, or doesn't have the tools... there aren't many other alternatives. Just KAC, Centurion, and Noveske.

polymorpheous
06-04-13, 09:15
The OBR's in .308 have had issues.
IIRC it is something to do with the chambering.

If you're going to spend the coin, KAC.
Otherwise, get a BCM and spend the rest on ammo.

JB13
06-04-13, 09:45
To answer some questions:

Yes she has a sister but super liberal.

I have one other AR a Yankee Hill in 5.56

I will mainly use it for range work and courses and possibly some 3 gun.

I have a stripped lower that has been laying around for sometime that I have been wanting to build.

RogerinTPA
06-04-13, 09:55
DD seems to be kicking out product faster than anyone else. Colt also seems to be showing up at Wal Marts all over the place. As far as LaRue is concerned, I order stuff strictly for the Dillo Dust...;)

PAWs 21
06-04-13, 10:03

This...

_Stormin_
06-04-13, 10:04
I have a stripped lower that has been laying around for sometime that I have been wanting to build.
Well that's the best possible plan. Take the budget and buy the best possible parts you can. Individual parts are so much easier to come by right now, and building your own is always a good time. Plus you save $200-$400 in taxes that can be more for parts or ammo!

After doing my first two builds I was convinced that buying a complete rifle was no longer for me. It's just plain rewarding to build your own. That said, finishing up that lower and then adding a factory upper (BCM has some great stuff in stock) isn't a bad plan.

polymorpheous
06-04-13, 10:05
As far as LaRue is concerned, I order stuff strictly for the Dillo Dust...;)

You too!?
My wife even went as far as calling to purchase it.
No dice, LaRue lacks the food license to sell it.

skywalkrNCSU
06-04-13, 11:11
You too!?
My wife even went as far as calling to purchase it.
No dice, LaRue lacks the food license to sell it.

Darn, I love that stuff, made some killer chicken with it last night. We need to find their source lol

justin_247
06-04-13, 11:12
Pretty much any rifle from DD, BCM, LMT, Colt, Noveske, or KAC will treat you well. However, based upon your intent, I would do the following if they were my rifles:

I would sell the upper receiver from that Yankee Hill rifle on TOS and use that money to buy a quality upper for it... right now, you should be able to get a pretty good price on it. This would become my general purpose rifle and I would replace the upper receiver assembly with one from Colt, BCM, DD, or LMT that has a 16" barrel. You can't go wrong with any of these.

For the stripped lower, I would use this for my "specialized" rifle, if you will... the one for long-range work and for 3-gun. I would get an upper that has a 16" or 18" stainless steel barrel with a medium profile and mid-length or rifle-length gas from BCM, Bergara, Lothar-Walther, WOA, Noveske, LaRue, Black Hole Weaponry, or Rainier Arms. For its price point, BCM will be hard to beat for this. Equip the lower with a VLTOR A5 receiver extension, and Geissele trigger, rail/handguard, and quality glass of your choice.

LaRue makes great accessories for ARs and I have heard that their upper receivers are very good, if overpriced, but I don't care for their complete rifles. And if you're going to get a .308, the only options I would be willing to look at come from KAC and LMT.

ChrisCross
06-04-13, 11:14
I use LaRue for their QD mounts (Dillo Dust is damn good on ribs which is a bonus!).

I've shot DD's and have a couple Colt's. Out of your (3) I can only comment on the DD and it was an good carbine.

I'd also say look at a Colt 6920, customize however you want (Optics, Geissele trigger, etc) buy ammo and take another class = ~ $2,100.

You then have a solid carbine, built the way you want, some ammo and another class you get to take.

My 2 cents.

Rayrevolver
06-04-13, 11:22
MidwayUSA had some Noveske uppers in stock a few weeks ago...

Get a BCM upper and put the parts you want on it. Good optics are not cheap either. Ammo and classes add up also. And then triggers, A5 kits all add up for the lower.

I can't build uppers so I went with BCM. Also ended up with an MUR upper/match barrel built by Iraqgunz.

Does Rainier still make custom uppers? Can you call them and get an MUR upper with whatever barrel, rail, etc etc? That might be the best way to get exactly what you want with a lower you put together.

I haven't seen many KAC SR-15s so it is very possible I don't know what I am missing.

danpass
06-04-13, 12:29
Whatever you do budget something in for her :cool:

tog
06-04-13, 15:58
Get a Colt and use the money you save on her.

Sentaruu
06-04-13, 15:59
i'd choose a noveske or dd personally.

NYH1
06-04-13, 17:11
Get a Colt and use the money you save on her.
+1 on that!

slamd095
06-04-13, 18:08

Agreed

If you're going to buy a kick ass car, get the gas for the tank.

Then again, Buy Two BCM's. One for you and one for your woman.

SeriousStudent
06-04-13, 18:19
Whatever you do budget something in for her :cool:

This is a wise man.

rubiconscott
06-04-13, 18:28
I just went through this exact ordeal with my wife. I wanted a patrol rifle for work and had a $3,000 budget.

I got the KAC SR 15 E3 MOD 1. I ordered it from Rockwell arms and they were great to deal with. They even gave me a present...

I could not be happier with the KAC and I have absolutely no regrets.

Kokopelli
06-04-13, 18:36

Don't hold back.. Just say what you think.. hahahaha

gun71530
06-04-13, 18:47
Go with BCM or KAC.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

cop1211
06-04-13, 18:56
Go with whichever YOU want, who cares what someone else would pick. All the makers you are considering are excellent.

Magic_Salad0892
06-04-13, 19:38
Go with whichever YOU want, who cares what someone else would pick. All the makers you are considering are excellent.

I usually agree with this, but in general that leads to somebody buying a DPMS gun.

whiskey lake
06-05-13, 00:23
I agree with the poster earlier who suggested buying a complete lower and a complete upper. Cheaper and you are getting the same quality. I have done that with several BCM's. Great product. Their 18"SS is a great upper that is very accurate.

Shiz
06-05-13, 12:06
I say sell the YHM, go buy a Colt from WM, and then buy a BCM UPPER for your lower you bought.

(gotta admit I am curious what Larue said to piss people off, but not so curious that i go over there)

JB13
06-05-13, 17:59
I am saving the yhm as a extra gun for guests or friends who want to go shoot. I have decided to do a build so this should be fun.

weez440
06-05-13, 18:32
I would do as others suggested, I would build up your stripped lower with all high quality parts then get a bcm complete upper and pick a quad rail of your choice and do it all right the first time. go with a great optic of your choice and blow the rest on ammo (if you can find it), make sure you have plenty of mags on hand as well.

JB13
06-05-13, 20:50
I have plenty of mags but only 1k of ammo left. Iafter number crunching and what others reccomended building seemed like the right thing to do, more bang for my buck. I am actually pretty excited.

SteveS
06-05-13, 23:10
Colt, BCM or Daniel Defense. No need for any others.

W.Watts
06-06-13, 09:09
For that money I'd def go KAC or get a Colt & put whatever rail & optic I wanted on it as well as a Geissele trigger. Building is ok, but you lose a ton of resale value when you do that. Also, by the time you find/buy all those "high quality" parts, you could have just bought a high quality rifle backed by a reputable manufacturer.