PDA

View Full Version : Schadenfreude

David Pennington
06-04-13, 08:47
Here's my train of thought on Lautenburg, McCarthy, et al.

They are actively working to make me and pretty much all of my family and friends felons. If they have have their way and their various gun control schemes pass most of us currently productive, law abiding citizens would become instant felons. Once such laws came into effect we would either be forced to a) give up a core component of our belief system by surrendering our arms, b) silently remain armed but live in constant fear of arrest and confinement, or c) physically resist facing arrest, confinement, or death.

Long story short, the McCarthys and Lautenburgs of the world are actively working to imprison or possibly even kill my family, my friends, and myself. They wouldn't do it personally but they would use the governments ability to exert physical force to imprison or, were we to resist, kill us. They aren't just actively campaigning to ban firearms, they are actively campaigning to physically destroy the lives of those people that I care most about. For a good, productive, law-abiding citizen a felony conviction and prison sentence is a destructive as a bullet---your life is either destroyed or over.

For this reason I'll rejoice and feel a sigh of relief every time my enemy and the enemy of those I care about is diminished whether by retirement, illness, or death. I'd prefer their retirement over their illness or death but, regardless, every time they are diminished we are one man stronger and there is one less invader at the gate.

SpankMonkey
06-04-13, 09:04
Very well said sir. My hats off to you.

Larry Vickers
06-04-13, 09:19
I will turn 50 years old this month ; I have been doing a lot of thinking these days ( I'm sure it happens to most everyone when they turn a half century old ) and the older I get the more I believe in Karma

When I was half this age I'm sure I would have scoffed at this notion of Karma but I firmly believe in it now

I look at what has happened to McCarthy, Lautenberg, etc. and I immediate think of Karma- they have knowingly fought against the constitutional rights of American citizens and not opened their minds to a different point of view; a point of view beyond the world they live in

I do not wish them Ill will but I certainly will not mourn their passing - to me it is simply Karma coming to get its due

montanadave
06-04-13, 09:27
And there were plenty of folks that made the same types of comments regarding Chris Kyle.

I have my personal convictions, political views, and spiritual beliefs. And I vehemently disagree with a variety of individuals who hold opposing points of view.

But I take no pleasure in their suffering or death.

Mauser KAR98K
06-04-13, 09:27
Here's my train of thought on Lautenburg, McCarthy, et al.

They are actively working to make me and pretty much all of my family and friends felons. If they have have their way and their various gun control schemes pass most of us currently productive, law abiding citizens would become instant felons. Once such laws came into effect we would either be forced to a) give up a core component of our belief system by surrendering our arms, b) silently remain armed but live in constant fear of arrest and confinement, or c) physically resist facing arrest, confinement, or death.

Long story short, the McCarthys and Lautenburgs of the world are actively working to imprison or possibly even kill my family, my friends, and myself. They wouldn't do it personally but they would use the governments ability to exert physical force to imprison or, were we to resist, kill us. They aren't just actively campaigning to ban firearms, they are actively campaigning to physically destroy the lives of those people that I care most about. For a good, productive, law-abiding citizen a felony conviction and prison sentence is a destructive as a bullet---your life is either destroyed or over.

For this reason I'll rejoice and feel a sigh of relief every time my enemy and the enemy of those I care about is diminished whether by retirement, illness, or death. I'd prefer their retirement over their illness or death but, regardless, every time they are diminished we are one man stronger and there is one less invader at the gate.

Well said.

No sorrow for fascist.

montanadave
06-04-13, 10:36
Trust me I take no pleasure in their illness or death but I am glad that they are no longer in the fight against my family, my friends, and myself. I would just as soon they retire to Palm Beach with an umbrella drink as long as they are out of the fight against our civil rights. The most important thing is that they are out of the fight against us and, for that, I'm glad regardless of how it happened.

The difference between "us" and "them" is that we just want to be left alone to live our peaceful, productive lives. "They" want to lord over us and impose their will on us at all costs including the deprivation of our civil liberties, our physical freedom, and even our lives.

I appreciate your clarification and I think we likely share similar positions on a great many issues. And likely disagree on a few others. Which is probably par for the course.

My objection regarding several of the recent threads was the tone and tenor of the comments posted by a few members, which I found distasteful and which I felt reflected poorly on the membership of this forum.

Just my opinion. And some members are assuredly going to tell me I can blow it out my ass. :)

DreadPirateMoyer
06-04-13, 10:58
I agree, and I'll take it 1 step farther: I do take pleasure in it, even if only slightly. Just like I'd take pleasure in the execution of someone who murdered a family member or the imprisonment of a rapist or the capture of an African warlord, I take pleasure knowing these people are out of the fight for any number of reasons. It brings me a modicum of happiness.

I don't think that makes me a bad person, either. They are evil, and in some way have either had that evil returned to them or are no longer able to subject that upon me. That's cause for at least slight celebration in my mind, and again, I don't think that makes me a bad person.

Alpha Sierra
06-04-13, 16:12
My objection regarding several of the recent threads was the tone and tenor of the comments posted by a few members, which I found distasteful and which I felt reflected poorly on the membership of this forum.

Since I made my feelings crystal clear in those other threads, I am pretty sure I am one of those members that you refer to. And that's OK, I take no offense in your disapproval of my position.

But I will explain why I think the way I do. I see these people (Lautenberg, McCarthy, et al) the way D Pennington does, but I kick it up a notch to a visceral hatred. I reserve the very strong emotion of hatred for people who see nothing wrong with depriving me of my rights because my exercise of such rights interfere with their plans to lord and dominate me.

There is nothing too painful that could happen to them.

chadbag
06-04-13, 16:42
from the Lautenberg thread:

Who talked about forgiving?

Isn't that essentially what is being done?

I fail to see the connection. Sorry. Having sympathy for the family of a man who died, no matter how vile that man was in his political actions which deprive us of our rights, is not the same as forgiving him of his actions.

No one is saying:

"Oh gee, Franky is dead. He was not such a bad guy after all. Let's make a statue of him or something."

That might be a "forgiveness."

Simply expressing the hope that he can Rest In Peace and that his family has my sympathies is a LONG way from forgiving him. Despite my wishes and sympathies for his family, I still believe him to be (have been) a major BAD person and enemy of the country.

-

scottryan
06-04-13, 16:42
They would confiscate your land, home, money, and guns if they could get away with it. They are marxist subverts to the nation.

chadbag
06-04-13, 16:47
They would confiscate your land, home, money, and guns if they could get away with it. They are marxist subverts to the nation.

I don't think anyone is disagreeing with you on that point. Well, maybe Pat. But most of us agree on that point.

The point is not that these were marxist communist power hungry evil people, but that we don't have to be dicks about their personal misfortunes. Especially something like a health related death or cancer or whatever.

----

SteyrAUG
06-04-13, 16:48
I will turn 50 years old this month ; I have been doing a lot of thinking these days ( I'm sure it happens to most everyone when they turn a half century old ) and the older I get the more I believe in Karma

When I was half this age I'm sure I would have scoffed at this notion of Karma but I firmly believe in it now

I look at what has happened to McCarthy, Lautenberg, etc. and I immediate think of Karma- they have knowingly fought against the constitutional rights of American citizens and not opened their minds to a different point of view; a point of view beyond the world they live in

I do not wish them Ill will but I certainly will not mourn their passing - to me it is simply Karma coming to get its due

I wish karma was an active force in the universe, but Mengele lived a full life and died a natural death. Additionally too many children get horrible diseases, suffer and die and there is no way it could have been "earned."

Sometimes people "get what's coming" but I think that is simply nothing more than horrible things sometimes happen to bad people too. Certainly if you are a bad person doing bad things or are in the company of others who invite bad things to the party your chances go up.

But as with all beliefs systems, I believe mine are as artificial and man made as any of the others. But like those other beliefs, mine allow me to accept the world around me and make some logical sense of it.

For me that means "Never harm the innocent, never overlook the guilty." For me it is correct to hate evil because evil is responsible for horrible things. I wish the politicians who try and take what is mine the same "ill will" I wish on those who would steal from me with a gun.

I don't know that it gives me "pleasure" to note their misfortunes, it is simply more a case of treating people as they deserve to be treated.

Koshinn
06-04-13, 16:49

Guns, yes. Home and money, no. They're not actually evil crooks, they are just misguided in what is best for the people. At least the vast majority aren't like that.

SteyrAUG
06-04-13, 16:57
from the Lautenberg thread:

I fail to see the connection. Sorry. Having sympathy for the family of a man who died, no matter how vile that man was in his political actions which deprive us of our rights, is not the same as forgiving him of his actions.

No one is saying:

"Oh gee, Franky is dead. He was not such a bad guy after all. Let's make a statue of him or something."

That might be a "forgiveness."

Simply expressing the hope that he can Rest In Peace and that his family has my sympathies is a LONG way from forgiving him. Despite my wishes and sympathies for his family, I still believe him to be (have been) a major BAD person and enemy of the country.

-

I do not blame the family in any way, shape or form. For all I know they are completely innocent.

But there are those saying "we must separate the man from his politics" and that is a form of forgiveness for his actions.

scottryan
06-04-13, 16:57
Guns, yes. Home and money, no. They're not actually evil crooks, they are just misguided in what is best for the people. At least the vast majority aren't like that.

They aren't misguided. They are elites that know exactly what they are doing. It is about power and control. It has nothing to do with helping poor people.

They already take half your money every year in taxes.

They level a property tax on your home. The concept of property and tier rate income taxes is taken directly from the communist manifesto.

SteyrAUG
06-04-13, 17:00

I disagree.

I think if they could, they would do anything that provides them more money and power. They aren't simply naive nincompoops who are doing their best to help us but don't know what they are doing.

I think almost to a man, every person in government is there to gain money and power. Anyone who is there for anything more noble will quickly be destroyed by those with money and power or be relegated to a position of uselessness where they cannot threaten those seeking money and power.

SteyrAUG
06-04-13, 17:03
They aren't misguided. They are elites that know exactly what they are doing. It is about power and control. It has nothing to do with helping poor people.

They already take half your money every year in taxes.

They level a property tax on your home. The concept of property and tier rate income taxes is taken directly from the communist manifesto.

Yep, and fail to pay those property taxes (which nullifies to true concept of private property) and you will lose your property and they will take your money as well if they can levy enough fines against you for failing to pay property tax.

SteyrAUG
06-04-13, 17:09
The point is not that these were marxist communist power hungry evil people, but that we don't have to be dicks about their personal misfortunes. Especially something like a health related death or cancer or whatever.

----

Was it wrong to hate Lenin and Stalin even after they died?

Grizzly16
06-04-13, 17:30

Or someone that commits high treason against the U.S.? Their actions have served to weaken our country in ways many spies can only dream of.

Magic_Salad0892
06-04-13, 19:29

Happy Birthday! (On whatever date that happens.)

Watrdawg
06-04-13, 20:30
Those such as Lautenberg do not have my sympathies when they pass. I do not rejoice their passing but there is a big sense of relief. One gone and now it's time for the others. Whether they pass on in death or retirement it makes no difference to me. Gone is gone. My next thought usually is "Who is going to take their place?" Is that person an ally or a foe? Are they going to fight to protect our rights or deny them? What can I do to make sure that person will fight for our rights? I too believe in Karma. Sooner or later you will reap what you sew. It will either be here in this world or elsewhere beyond it.

chadbag
06-04-13, 20:51

Hating someone, and joying in their personal difficulties are not the same.

I've never claimed Lautenberg or McCarthy are my friends or even someone I have a little respect for. I am glad that they are out of (or soon will be in the next few years, most likely) the political picture. I feel political relief.

But I don't feel joy about their personal misfortunes nor do I feel elated at their families having to deal with it. I can feel sympathy for their families and their personal sufferings, and still hate what they stand for, hate them as standard bearers of that, and be glad that they are out of the political arena.

Same when Ted Kennedy died. I had great political based happiness that he was out of the picture. But at the same time his family had my sympathies for his passing.

I detest and despise the big O. He is as evil as any of them. But if someone were to try and do a John Hinckley on him, I'd be mad and pissed at whatever whacko that was, and the big O and his family would have my sympathies (but not any empathy).

Is it really hard to understand?

---

SteyrAUG
06-04-13, 21:11

I've never claimed Lautenberg or McCarthy are my friends or even someone I have a little respect for. I am glad that they are out of (or soon will be in the next few years, most likely) the political picture. I feel political relief.

But I don't feel joy about their personal misfortunes nor do I feel elated at their families having to deal with it. I can feel sympathy for their families and their personal sufferings, and still hate what they stand for, hate them as standard bearers of that, and be glad that they are out of the political arena.

Same when Ted Kennedy died. I had great political based happiness that he was out of the picture. But at the same time his family had my sympathies for his passing.

I detest and despise the big O. He is as evil as any of them. But if someone were to try and do a John Hinckley on him, I'd be mad and pissed at whatever whacko that was, and the big O and his family would have my sympathies (but not any empathy).

---

I thought I got this earlier.

I don't take joy in their suffering. I simply find it appropriate and fitting that they should suffer. I don't "feel good" that they "feel bad", but I do wish them "bad things."

I would have an issue with anyone trying to pull a Hinkley as well. Not out of concern for Obama, but because of the threat such a person (who is typically mentally unstable) poses to everyone in general. But if it did happen I probably wouldn't be too upset. Screwing over the country for power and money can be a dangerous game to play, it sometimes comes with consequences.

As for the families, even though they may have directly benefited from what I consider reprehensible things, unless they were actively involved, I have no animosity for them even though I may despise the person in question.

crowkiller
06-04-13, 21:35
Proverbs 24:17-18
17*Rejoice not when thine enemy falleth, and let not thine heart be glad when he stumbleth:

18*Lest the Lord see it, and it displease him, and he turn away his wrath from him.

Proverbs 25:21-22
21*If thine enemy be hungry, give him bread to eat; and if he be thirsty, give him water to drink:

22*For thou shalt heap coals of fire upon his head, and the Lord shall reward thee.

Matthew 5:43-45
43*Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.

44*But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

45*That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

Romans 12:14-21
14*Bless them which persecute you: bless, and curse not.

15*Rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them that weep.

16*Be of the same mind one toward another. Mind not high things, but condescend to men of low estate. Be not wise in your own conceits.

17*Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men.

18*If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men.

19*Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.

20*Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head.

21*Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.

SteyrAUG
06-04-13, 22:48
Proverbs 24:17-18
17*Rejoice not when thine enemy falleth, and let not thine heart be glad when he stumbleth:

18*Lest the Lord see it, and it displease him, and he turn away his wrath from him.

21*If thine enemy be hungry, give him bread to eat; and if he be thirsty, give him water to drink:

22*For thou shalt heap coals of fire upon his head, and the Lord shall reward thee.

Matthew 5:43-45
43*Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.

44*But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

45*That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

Romans 12:14-21

15*Rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them that weep.

16*Be of the same mind one toward another. Mind not high things, but condescend to men of low estate. Be not wise in your own conceits.

17*Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men.

18*If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men.

19*Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.

20*Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head.

21*Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.

So when we let everyone out of jail tomorrow, can they all come to live with you and your family? Certainly you'd be doing "the Lord's work" by taking in all those currently on death row and showing them nothing but kindness, love and compassion.

feedramp
06-04-13, 22:59
The difference between "us" and "them" is that we just want to be left alone to live our peaceful, productive lives. "They" want to lord over us and impose their will on us at all costs including the deprivation of our civil liberties, our physical freedom, and even our lives.

You forgot the most obnoxious part: They work to oppress us while hysterically claiming to anyone dumb enough to listen, that we are the ones who want to somehow oppress them.

feedramp
06-05-13, 07:39
So when we let everyone out of jail tomorrow, can they all come to live with you and your family? Certainly you'd be doing "the Lord's work" by taking in all those currently on death row and showing them nothing but kindness, love and compassion.

Because living at peace whenever possible and leaving vengeance or revenge up to the Lord, is the same thing as having no legal or justice system. :confused:

SteyrAUG
06-05-13, 13:25
Because living at peace whenever possible and leaving vengeance or revenge up to the Lord, is the same thing as having no legal or justice system. :confused:

I'm just trying to spread the good word.

He said "love your enemies." I didn't see anything about electric chairs in the good book. If you read that book, this life is of secondary importance to the afterlife anyway. Best thing you can do is move a serial killer into your home. He will probably kill you and you will die having served your fellow man and instantly go to heaven.

Technically you aren't even allowed to hate them, much less punish them for their crimes.

Heavy Metal
06-05-13, 15:23
You can love something and wish it gone when it becomes a clear and present danger.

Travis did what he had to with Old Yeller when the time came.

SteyrAUG
06-05-13, 16:13
You can love something and wish it gone when it becomes a clear and present danger.

Travis did what he had to with Old Yeller when the time came.

That ain't what the book be a sayin.

And we are talking about evil men, not rabid animals. And the book says..

Didn't see a single word about wishing them gone. But apparently you are supposed to feed them.

Moose-Knuckle
06-05-13, 18:27

I'm sorry but this is a complete fallacy. They are not "misguided" there has been a disarmament agenda in the works long before these two and it will be there long after them. Tyrants and despots NEVER do what is best for the people. What is best for the people is to be left well alone.

Moose-Knuckle
06-05-13, 18:40

"Did you really think that we want those laws to be observed?" said Dr. Ferris. "We want them broken. You'd better get it straight that it's not a bunch of boy scouts you're up against - then you'll know that this is not the age for beautiful gestures. We're after power and we mean it. You fellows were pikers, but we know the real trick, and you'd better get wise to it. There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the p o w e r to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants a nation of law-abiding citizens? What's there in that for anyone? But just pass the kind of laws that can neither be observed nor enforced nor objectively interpreted - and you create a nation of law-breakers - and then you cash in on guilt. Now, that's the system, Mr. Rearden, that's the game and once you understand it, you'll be much easier to deal with." - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

"When the government runs out of crimes to charge against the people, the tyrants simply secretly pass a number of civil statutes that carry severe sanctions (against which the accused has virtually no defenses or Constitutional protections), and then process the accused in a largely invisible civil ' justice ' system (orchestrated by government thugs and assassins) that is designed to lead to the imprisonment or death of the accused." - Geral Sosbee

You Commit Three Felonies a Day
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704471504574438900830760842.html

Phillygunguy
06-05-13, 19:07

---
I respectfully disagree. This man and many like him are evil, not to the extent of Stalin or Hitler, but similar in their Philosophies. I hate anyone who wants to take my guns or make me a criminal and If they suffer or die I could care less. But maybe your a better man than me.