Just got a new upper in
16" mid length stainless Sabre barrel in 5.56, 1/8 twist
sabre upper
RR bolt and charging handle
RR free float tube
low pro gas mount

mounted to my RR lower with NM trigger
they (builder) shot it 4 times for functionality testing
got it and cleaned barrel with wipe out 2 times and used JB Bore paste after the wipe out for about 10 patches worth, then cleaned again with wipeout
and dry patches

shot it today
Scope is a Zeiss Conqust 4.5-14 in Warne high QR rings on a YHM 1/2" riser
scope is a kwown good scope, used on my 308 bolt and a 204 ruger bolt that I could put them in the same hole with....

using a harris bipod and numerous rounds from a bench the agerage group was about 2"
shot Federal 5.56 55fmj
55g tap
60g tap
64g Fed TRU SP
75g Hornady HP practice LE
55g whitebox FMJ

all grouped about 2" at 100 yards from a bench
I was really expecting a 1/2" with at least one of the loads, at LEAST sub MOA
barrel was not overheated, first a fouling shot after cleaning (several times during the 2 hr period, 3 shot groups, then barrel cool down

scope was removed and put back on via Warne QR, same POI

the best was the 60g TAP which would have a few rounds within a 1/2 group then spread the rest up to 2"

arg

I was shooting my Sako 270 working on handloads and was getting a 1/2" group, so, it wasn't the nut behind the trigger

I will be contacting the builder and Sabre

I was hoping for this to be a relatively Varmit gun that I could switch between my Eotech and a scope if it grouped well

I do not want to be forced into handloading, to me that defeats one of the pros of a .223

I know a 1 in 8 twist should work with 60-75g bullets and will probaby buy some 68g match but don't want to have to as it's pricey

I can get good pricing on the TAP stuff and Fed tactical from my local LE supply shop..

any insight other than just keep trying various ammo?
I really thought at least one of those rounds would be decent
thanks in advance

lightbulb
04-04-08, 08:15
First the Sabre SS barrels are not by any means match grade. From reports I have read on other forums, you are getting acceptable result from your Sabre barrel. Some barrels are worse, others might be slightly more accurate it all depends. You might try properly breaking in the barrel, and maybe using some JB bore paster to smooth the lands in the barrel. The Sabre barrels should not be more accurate than a standard good quality chromoly barrel. If you want match performance you will need to get a better barrel. With a proper breaking in period the groups should get a bit tighter, not sure about 1/2 but maybe 1" at best.

ccoker
04-04-08, 14:32
hmm
well, I thought that they made good barrels, and yes, I want match grade accuracy

I did JB borepaste the barrel about 10 times

I called Saber and they said send the upper in and they will make me happy
he said their barrels should do MOA

going to talk with the builder as well about options

ccoker
04-04-08, 15:36
I am sending the upper in to Saber
will report back

lightbulb
04-04-08, 16:08
I am sending the upper in to Saber
will report back

Great. Hope they can fix it for you. As far As I know they are a stand up company.

BTW, I did not intend to imply they were bad barrels. They are very good barrels, but not what you were looking for in terms of accuracy. You said your looking for match grade accuracy but out of a barrel which is not intended to shoot sub MOA. If you want to consistently shoot sub MOA you need a high quality match barrel.

ccoker
04-04-08, 16:45
the dealer called me back as well and it's going back to them
they are going to replace the barrel and shoot it
I told them my expectations and if the barrel needs to be replaced with something else i am OK with that
they said (PKfirearms, now that I know they are going to stand behind it) that they have those barrels and they are tack drivers, that my expectations are not unrealistic..

we'll see what happens
PK was great to deal with, ordered last Sat, built and shipped Monday
arrived in Texas on Wed, shot yesterday, going back out today
hopefully I will be shooting it again end of next week

they offered to cover my expenses and throw in some stuff for the hassle

if it doesn't shoot well enough I will look at maybe a JP 18" barrel, spoke with them today..

ccoker
04-17-08, 22:11
update:
got the upper back today
they shot it and had some great groupings with the Black Hills 75g match BTHP

so... I decided to get it back and shoot it for a while
I have a hunting trip this weekend for hogs and will do some coyote hunting with this gun with my son..

so, I cleaned the barrel, mounted a new 1.25-4 Bushnell 4200 on it and took it to the range..
I bought some Hornady TAP 75g BTHP 223 rounds and started to sight in at 50 yards.. first three rounds were almost in the same hole!
sweet

did some more shooting with the TAP 75 and sure enough, it's a tack driver
tried some 64g Speer Gold dots, group opened up to about a 1/2"
same with 60g TAP, maybe a bit more..
55 was worse

so, it sure seems it prefers the heavier bullets and the 75 TAP specifically

I bought a few more boxes of the TAP and will shoot for a while with it
guess it will be the go to load and the other stuff for plinking....

johnson
04-17-08, 22:39
Where are you buying your ammo from?

ccoker
04-18-08, 10:17
local LE shop

boltcatch
05-10-08, 23:43
hmm
well, I thought that they made good barrels, and yes, I want match grade accuracy

I did JB borepaste the barrel about 10 times

I called Saber and they said send the upper in and they will make me happy
he said their barrels should do MOA

going to talk with the builder as well about options

They'll probably keep sending you uppers until you're happy, I've dealt with their service before, without any complaints.