PDA

View Full Version : Places that do melonite/nitride treatment

Badger89
06-05-13, 01:19
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this question. If it's not I apologize, and Mods, please move it to the appropriate place.

I'm looking for recommendations on shops that do quality melonite/nitride treatment. Location doesn't really matter as long as it's in the continental U.S. I would like to ship a small box of various small components and have them treated and returned. Nothing large, or even barrel sized, just a handful of smaller components from a lower parts kit, a .22LR conversion bolt, and maybe a pair of iron sights. I emailed H&M/Blacknitride last week but never got a response.

Your personal experience stories and opinions are welcome. I'm looking for a shop that does great work and is willing to take such a small order without charging me an unreasonable amount. I also need to be able to trust that if I ship them "x" number of parts in a box, I will receive "x" number back, not "x-2".

Thanks for the help guys.

awpk03s
06-05-13, 10:00
I have used Coal Creek Armory for several projects with excellent results.

Robb Jensen
06-05-13, 10:22
Had four stainless bbls, gas blocks and muzzle brakes done by H&M Metal Processing. Great price and excellent work www.blacknitride.com

danpass
06-05-13, 10:33
Had four stainless bbls, gas blocks and muzzle brakes done by H&M Metal Processing. Great price and excellent work www.blacknitride.com
I'll have to check it out :)

Badger89
06-06-13, 00:45
Thanks for the tip. I'll try to get in touch with them again. Maybe my email got lost.

Slightly off topic, but how were the stainless barrels done? Did you end up removing the barrel extensions and re-torquing them somehow, or were they treated with the extensions on?

polymorpheous
06-06-13, 01:04
Thanks for the tip. I'll try to get in touch with them again. Maybe my email got lost.

Slightly off topic, but how were the stainless barrels done? Did you end up removing the barrel extensions and re-torquing them somehow, or were they treated with the extensions on?

I've been looking for the answer to this question for a year now.

Badger89
06-06-13, 03:14
From what I understand, having the barrel treated with the extension on is not the best idea, unless you remove the extension afterwards, clean the threads, and retorque. Problem is, you cannot remove an extension and retorque it to exactly the same spot to get the gas port at exactly 12 o'clock... or so Ive been told. So that really leaves the only option as treating the barrel before the port is drilled, which rules out all of the common ready to install barrels. Im just curious if this is what Robb had done or if he knows something I dont.

Way off topic now, but Ive often wondered why you couldnt just overtorque the extension slightly to get the gas port timed right, or add a small shim and torque back to spec, depending on which way it was off... Maybe someone who knows more than me can chime in on the matter.

polymorpheous
06-06-13, 03:23
This was my understanding as well.
I contacted WMDguns about their services, they leave the extension on.
I didn't know where Robb sent his barrels out to get the treatment until this thread.
From what I remember, he was talking about putting a couple hundred rounds through it, cleaning it, then sendin it out for the treatment.

wetidlerjr
06-06-13, 07:07
I had one of my Colt 1911s melonited and I was told by the 'smith that sent it out to be done that "small" parts cannot be treated. How small he didn't say nor did he explain why. I can only assume it was because of the temp (?) or depth of penetration of the part while being treated.

Robb Jensen
06-06-13, 08:09

The bbl extensions were treated as installed on the bbls. One had the indexing pin come lose so I installed a new one. I think that was to due to the heat involved.

awpk03s
06-06-13, 09:17
I had one of my Colt 1911s melonited and I was told by the 'smith that sent it out to be done that "small" parts cannot be treated. How small he didn't say nor did he explain why. I can only assume it was because of the temp (?) or depth of penetration of the part while being treated.

I don't think it's advisable for the FCG parts (hammer/sear/disconnect or). But other small parts like thumb safety, grip safety, slide stop, bushing, are all fine to be melonite treated.

You'll get differing answers on this though. For example, a S&W 1911 that is advertise with a melonite finish, is typically only the frame and slide. All other parts are something else. In contrast, a Dan Wesson 1911 in their Duty Treat - which is melonite/black nitride - has all parts done except FCG. Barrel, trigger and bushing are also not done, but this is for cosmetics.

Badger89
06-12-13, 01:10
Ok, so I've tried contacting H&M Metal Processing (blacknitride.com) by email twice now with no reply... Does anyone know if they even still process individual orders? If so, anyone have contact information for them? I tried emailing them at info@blacknitride.com which is the address listed on their site under the "contact us" tab... got nothing back. :(

ABNAK
06-12-13, 10:32
Ok, so I've tried contacting H&M Metal Processing (blacknitride.com) by email twice now with no reply... Does anyone know if they even still process individual orders? If so, anyone have contact information for them? I tried emailing them at info@blacknitride.com which is the address listed on their site under the "contact us" tab... got nothing back. :(

How about call them?