PDA

View Full Version : SCAR MK20

PNorris
06-05-13, 09:10
Rather than bug up the other thread on the LMT / KAC debate, does anyone know whether this will ever make it to the civie market? It does look interesting. A sub-moa Scar with a nice trigger, and stock. Sounds like people would flock to it if the price was right.

FlyingHunter
06-05-13, 19:49
I spoke w the FN reps at the NRA Annual meeting and we lightly discussed the Mk20. They said right now, other, higher priorities are getting the resources. They said it wasn't buried, just not a priority. I'm seeing more marketing for their new Ballista...maybe that's one of the other priorities. As an aside they were professional, helpful, and a generally good group of guys.

SRT-M4
06-05-13, 19:54
I was hearing rumors that the civi Mk20 was going to be shown at the 2013 Shot Show back in Jan. It didnt happen. I heard the same thing about it being on the backburner for a while but not dead. Hopefully the Civilian MK 20 does come to life. Its on the top of my list if ever available.

ClearedHot
06-06-13, 09:51
FN is very slow to get anything SCAR related to the civvie market. Factory SBR barrels, SCAR-H mags, etc.

vereceleritas
06-06-13, 14:12
If it ever does make it to the civilian market I would expect it to be very expensive. I'm thinking SR-25 territory.

PNorris
06-06-13, 15:45
The official word from FN is:

"It is currently in the works, however, we do not have an arrival date at this time."

Who knows what that means. I am trying to prod them for additional information, however, I don't know what I will get. If and when it becomes available, provided the price isn't insane, I will be on the early list for one.

Army Chief
06-06-13, 15:59
FN is very slow to get anything SCAR related to the civvie market. Factory SBR barrels, SCAR-H mags, etc.

While unquestionably true, I continue to wonder about the underwriting logic. They have to know that a factory SBR barrel would seriously reignite interest in the 16s, and yet, it remains little more than a promise. I guess SCAR-H mags are now almost as available as any other Black Rifle mag, but that doesn't mean that you can expect to pull one of our your mailbox next week. The PDW concept stock, in and of itself, inspired all kinds of new discussion, and yet, there is no serious talk of porting any PDW parts to the general market.

It seems to me that if you're trying to maintain -- and build -- interest in a platform like the SCAR, you ought to be providing as much support for it as you possibly can. Give folks what they want, and watch guys with their finished rifles bring in the masses. Instead, you go with the standard factory flavor, roll the dice on a third-party doo-dad, or you wait. And wait. And wait.

I'm not criticizing FN per se, but they should be concentrating on giving us even more reason to embrace the new rifle; not more of the same at an ever-declining production rate. I would have gone all-in with the SBR concept, had a factory barrel ever materialized; instead, I eventually sold off my SCAR to fund some high-end AR projects. Liked the rifle just fine, but could never get it to the configuration it was purchased to address.

AC

PNorris
06-06-13, 16:19
I just don't understand some companies. They can make a ton of money if they simply listened to their customer base. Look at KAC, although pricey, they listen to their customers and give them what they ask for. Also, they have a presence on every major gun cite I visit. That is one hell of a smart company. That is why I own their product. Come on FN, wake up.:rolleyes:

Ferris2son
06-07-13, 23:50
FN is frustrating.
I think we need to remember they are the largest small arms supplier to the largest military on the planet. And our country can't decide on our firearm policies going forward.
Can't blame them for focusing on the solid markets and treading lightly on volitile markets.

$0.02

CCK
06-08-13, 09:39
someone wrote in a thread about Beretta that "they couldn't market free sex"

FN seems that way sometimes too.

Chris

djack10
06-08-13, 23:04
FN actually sells every SCAR they make. The demand is very high. The lack of accessories for civilians is not hurting the SCARs sales at all.

RHINOWSO
06-09-13, 10:41
They solved the mag issue (MGW and FN Estore have them in stock and have for weeks), spare parts are better now, but barrels are still an issue...

CCK
06-09-13, 20:34
FN actually sells every SCAR they make. The demand is very high. The lack of accessories for civilians is not hurting the SCARs sales at all.

No one is disputing them selling everyone they make, I think people are upset (i know I am) that they aren't more available.

m1ajunkie
06-09-13, 20:50
Had factory short barrels been available, I probably would still have my scar 16. I kept waiting on the info from Shot 2012 (I believe) to come true but got tired of waiting and decided to trade in my scar.

However, should the MK20 ever become available I'd think very hard about trading the SR25 ecc I have on order for one. They seem very promising but I'm not holding my breath on them seeing the civilian market.

Turnkey11
06-09-13, 22:48
I would've sold my 16s already had I not already spent $200 and electro penned my name on the side. If there was a marked for form 1'ed rifles it would be gone.

PNorris
06-10-13, 14:56
They will set a price point closer to the release date.

That is the word by word reply I got. Oh well.

MarkG
06-12-13, 16:45
I just don't understand some companies. They can make a ton of money if they simply listened to their customer base. Look at KAC, although pricey, they listen to their customers and give them what they ask for. Also, they have a presence on every major gun cite I visit. That is one hell of a smart company. That is why I own their product. Come on FN, wake up.:rolleyes:

... and they can just as easily lose two tons if they're not careful. I think it's been lost in this thread that all of the semi-auto SCAR's are manufactured in Belgium. FN Manufacturing only makes select fire weapons. FNH USA markets the weapons made available to them by the respective sister companies. FNH USA likely has as much pull, or as little, with Belgium as Hechler & Koch USA has with its German counterpart. I believe FN as company is very aware of its market and abilities to supply them. The historical retail value of the SCAR platform, new and used, is a testament to their ability to control their corner of the market.