PDA

View Full Version : DDM4 Pmags not dropping free?

PatrioticDisorder
06-05-13, 19:05
Just picked up my DDM4V1 LW, the one negative thing I've noticed, with either Gen 2 or 3 pmags, both loaded and unloaded, the mags drop out either VERY slowly or not at all. Considering the rifle is brand new (DD checklist sticker dated 5/22), could it be it is just "tight" or is something out of spec?

Hapworth
06-05-13, 19:42
I've had this problem with Gen3 but not Gen2. Asked DD and they reported no known issues and suggest I contact Magpul (haven't yet).

Reports of issues with the Gen3 have popped up here and there; some attribute the problem to dimensional changes that allow Gen3s to work in multiple platforms.

Too soon to tell if this is an actual issue...

PatrioticDisorder
06-05-13, 19:49
I've had this problem with Gen3 but not Gen2. Asked DD and they reported no known issues and suggest I contact Magpul (haven't yet).

Reports of issues with the Gen3 have popped up here and there; some attribute the problem to dimensional changes that allow Gen3s to work in multiple platforms.

Too soon to tell if this is an actual issue...

With use have your gen3 mags gradually began to drop quicker/easier or is it still an issue?

jaxman7
06-05-13, 20:32
Run it for a time (reload dry.....alot) with the mags that give you the most fits. If nothing changes contact DD as per forum regs in the first place.;)

-Jax

Hapworth
06-05-13, 20:32
With use have your gen3 mags gradually began to drop quicker/easier or is it still an issue?Technically still an issue, but in all fairness I've simply put my Gen3s aside for the moment and haven't given them a chance to "break in", assuming they will.

For that matter, not sure I like the idea of a magazine that might need to break in to drop properly...

samuse
06-05-13, 21:39
Try a good Colt/Okay/NHMTG mag and see what it does.

Blak1508
06-05-13, 22:17
I also have a DDM4V1 and mine drop just fine, and have since day 1, I will measure my mag well do the same on a few spots like middle, the middle, and bottom, then let me know. Also check your mag catch, I know it's obvious to do that but maybe backing it out a spin will release some room and help them drop more freely.

PatrioticDisorder
06-05-13, 22:23
Try a good Colt/Okay/NHMTG mag and see what it does.

I just rechecked, D&H mags drop easy, actually Gen2 pmags do as well, I was mistaken earlier. Gen3 pmags drop free as well but only if I let them drop straight down, I'm in the habit of flinging my empty mags when I change mags, didn't even occur to me this could cause the pmags to get hung up in the well. I can live with this, can't wait to get this rifle to the range, thanks for the input.

BushmasterFanBoy
06-06-13, 02:16
I had/have a DD lower that didn't like dropping pmags free. I just dremelled the magwell a bit and drove on with life. This question doesn't need to be asked, imho. You can either call DD and wait til someone else fixes your problem, or you can do it yourself. The lower is just fine from it and looks no worse than a lower that's had a couple thousand reload drills done with it.

WS6
06-06-13, 02:18
I just rechecked, D&H mags drop easy, actually Gen2 pmags do as well, I was mistaken earlier. Gen3 pmags drop free as well but only if I let them drop straight down, I'm in the habit of flinging my empty mags when I change mags, didn't even occur to me this could cause the pmags to get hung up in the well. I can live with this, can't wait to get this rifle to the range, thanks for the input.

I've taken to moving my hand in a path that includes the magazine during my reloads. I try to toss them out, or rather I press the mag-release while rotating the weapon like I normally would, and likely as not expect to encounter only air when my hand passes through that space, but if I meet more, I rip it out and continue. It's just a fail-safe and takes zero extra time to move my hand through that space, if there is no mag there. If there is, I'd rather get it then than come back to the idea.

polymorpheous
06-06-13, 03:03
Why "fling" the mags out during a reload?
That kind of theatrics just isn't necessary.

WS6
06-06-13, 03:39

That's just what happens when you depress the mag-release while rolling the weapon to present the mag-well. I don't try to, it's just physics.

wetidlerjr
06-06-13, 07:02
Run it for a time (reload dry.....alot) with the mags that give you the most fits. If nothing changes contact DD as per forum regs in the first place.;)
-Jax

You are correct but I would assume he would get the same answer as below.

I've had this problem with Gen3 but not Gen2. Asked DD and they reported no known issues and suggest I contact Magpul (haven't yet)...

samuse
06-06-13, 08:00
That's just what happens when you depress the mag-release while rolling the weapon to present the mag-well. I don't try to, it's just physics.

I have found that to be the best way to keep a mag from dropping free, that otherwise would have. Falla makes it look cool and it can be really fast but it just don't always work.

markm
06-06-13, 08:03

It's the LOOK AT ME technique that lets the enemy know that... "Hey! I have an Empty gun!"

It's too hard to wave your hands in the air when you're holding a rifle.

WS6
06-06-13, 08:14
I have found that to be the best way to keep a mag from dropping free, that otherwise would have. Falla makes it look cool and it can be really fast but it just don't always work.

That is why I move my hand through the mags space on my way to reload. It's not about looking cool or seeing how far I can fling it (usually it ends up 2-3' to the left of me), it's about what I have found to work best for me. YMMV, and I'm happy to learn from you if you have suggestions. I do not "fling" the mag like Travis Haley in his videos, it just ends up to my left a few feet because of the dynamics of the movement. I don't wait for it to fall completely free before turning the rifle for a reload, I do it all at once.

markm
06-06-13, 08:17
I'm an old school "range bird" changer.... since it's probably a guarantee that the faster you need to reload the stickier the empty will be.

WS6
06-06-13, 09:10
I'm an old school "range bird" changer.... since it's probably a guarantee that the faster you need to reload the stickier the empty will be.

I'm sorry, can you explain that? I'm not familiar with the term. :confused:

SPQR476
06-06-13, 11:05
Mags get stripped out of the gun. Retain or don't retain based on speed required. I'll violate that for a gun game now and then, but Flinging them about is a great way to end up with no mags when not on a manicured range.

I still want and expect my mags to drop free, but like Markm said, the faster you need to reload, the more likely that dirt, grit, etc., will cause mags that normally drop free to stick--or that the mush trigger is due to a bolt override/double feed/other type 3 rather than an empty gun. Then the .25 seconds normally saved by not stripping the mag turns into a full second or more of time lost when you can least afford to lose it.

Gen M3s drop free from far more receivers than any previous generation of PMAG. Occasionally, there is some weird interference with an odd receiver here and there, but in our testing with max and min material condition receivers on internal magwell dimensions, it's all good. I've seen a couple receivers that have had some drag due to rough or new ano, etc., and they always smooth out with some use, at which point all new Gen M3 mags will drop free just fine, right out of the wrapper.

PatrioticDisorder
06-06-13, 13:00
Mags get stripped out of the gun. Retain or don't retain based on speed required. I'll violate that for a gun game now and then, but Flinging them about is a great way to end up with no mags when not on a manicured range.

I still want and expect my mags to drop free, but like Markm said, the faster you need to reload, the more likely that dirt, grit, etc., will cause mags that normally drop free to stick--or that the mush trigger is due to a bolt override/double feed/other type 3 rather than an empty gun. Then the .25 seconds normally saved by not stripping the mag turns into a full second or more of time lost when you can least afford to lose it.

Gen M3s drop free from far more receivers than any previous generation of PMAG. Occasionally, there is some weird interference with an odd receiver here and there, but in our testing with max and min material condition receivers on internal magwell dimensions, it's all good. I've seen a couple receivers that have had some drag due to rough or new ano, etc., and they always smooth out with some use, at which point all new Gen M3 mags will drop free just fine, right out of the wrapper.

Thank you for the detailed response Duane, I'll be following your advice and stripping mags, no more flinging. My "issue" is a non-issue, I'm caulking it up to a training issue on my end.

Beat Trash
06-08-13, 16:35
I have bought two DDM4v5lw's since January.

Both guns will allow gen 1/2/3 PMAGs to drop free, either empty or loaded.

I would call DD customer service if it were my gun.

thehun
06-08-13, 22:00
My DD came with a GEN 3 mag...no problems...

Gunney57
06-11-13, 21:33
I had/have a DD lower that didn't like dropping pmags free. I just dremelled the magwell a bit and drove on with life. This question doesn't need to be asked, imho. You can either call DD and wait til someone else fixes your problem, or you can do it yourself. The lower is just fine from it and looks no worse than a lower that's had a couple thousand reload drills done with it.

I always try the least intrusive method first. Most mag release issues I've solved with dri-lube or a little work with Scotch-brite on the magwell. If the issue is forging flash then maybe the Dremel.

ntech
06-15-13, 11:29
I recently bought a DDM4V5 and I too noticed the gen 2 pmags dropped free but the gen 3 wouldn't. After my first range trip all of the magazines dropped free with no issues. Go figure.

Gunney57
06-16-13, 21:38
Sometimes conditions may affect mag release. How hot the conditions, mags or weapons being in direct sun light for extended periods, I think this may affect polymer(especially black) more. I have to admit most GI aluminum mags don't exhibit release problems as long as it didn't right out of the box no matter what the conditions. But the again PMAGs don't seem to have any feed issues either.(At least that I've encountered). I admit I've used a limited amount of Gen3 mags but I've not experienced any release issues with Gen 2 or 3. I've noticed that in really hot conditions(100F" plus, non shaded) mag lock-up doesn't feel quite as solid when inserting a mag with any polymer. But again I've never experienced any function issue, but it just doesn't "feel" as sure in lock-up. This is maybe a moot point as I own or operate no DD lowers. Just my 2 cents.

SPQR476
06-17-13, 00:30
PMAGs remain dimensionally stable with temperature change. They function just fine at -60 all the way to 160 degrees (those are the standard test parameters, although we do go higher without issue), and drop free at those temps from all our test lowers. They are drop tested at those limits as well. They are also tested for material hardness at those limits and after all chemical immersion tests.

Whatever it is, it isn't temperature.

We have a passel of DD guns in the test lot across the tolerance range of dimensions.

If there's any issue, as mentioned earlier, it may just be a min (in spec) dimensioned receiver with a slightly rough ano that will be just fine after a few mags run into the well.

Rockhopper
06-17-13, 02:20
gen 2 pmags drop like an anchor out of my MEGA recievers. even when new before being broken in. only recently did i pick up a couple gen 3 mags. they dont drop worth a shit. have to strip them each mag change.

Gunney57
06-18-13, 22:49
PMAGs remain dimensionally stable with temperature change. They function just fine at -60 all the way to 160 degrees (those are the standard test parameters, although we do go higher without issue), and drop free at those temps from all our test lowers. They are drop tested at those limits as well. They are also tested for material hardness at those limits and after all chemical immersion tests.

Whatever it is, it isn't temperature.

We have a passel of DD guns in the test lot across the tolerance range of dimensions.

If there's any issue, as mentioned earlier, it may just be a min (in spec) dimensioned receiver with a slightly rough ano that will be just fine after a few mags run into the well.

10-4 on dimension. I've never had a release issue on my PMAG's. I definitely agree with the ano finish point and have worked some lower's magwells with scotchbrite to smooth it out. The different "feel" has never caused an issue in lock-up or drop in my experience. Just a bit ... well different.

joelawp7
06-22-13, 08:20
Instead of fussing with the mag well on your problem lowers, how about just shaving a touch off the problem Pmags?