PDA

View Full Version : What's the best make for a lightweight barrel?

blackscot
06-06-13, 08:30
I'm putting together a rifle for my wife. She is small so weight is an issue. The difference between a lightweight "pencil" barrel and M4-profile, etc. is a big help for her.

This would not be a heavy-duty gun handling-wise, mostly just practice plinking and some IDPA DMG matches. She can go through some ammo though, so round count might get up there over time. I'd like a basic good-quality LW barrel that would fit this bill.

An steers are appreciated -- thanks.

markm
06-06-13, 08:32
I'd get any of the DD or BCM offerings in the gas system you want.

Failure2Stop
06-06-13, 08:46
I picked up a DD LW barrel about 2 years ago.
It has done what I wanted it to do.
It holds a pretty consistent 2-3 MOA with M193 type ammo, with some variability if it gets heated up, and the NON-FF MOE forearm doesn't help a lot in that aspect.

The Colt barrel is what I really wanted, but at the time none were available. I don't regret the purchase.

SpankMonkey
06-06-13, 08:48
Read this. There are many others you can research and read also.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=39599

jerrysimons
06-06-13, 09:01
Noveske 14.5" Skinny Contour, if you are willing to pin and weld the muzzle device or SBR. Weighs 20oz and has the improved profile that tappers from the collar to the muzzle whereas the DD and BCM have the same government profile, smaller under the handgaurds and thicker past the gas port (just not as thick) as a standard barrel.

http://www.rogtac.com/noveske/barrels/5-56mm/noveske-skinny-barrel.html

W.Watts
06-06-13, 09:05
You'll never go wrong with Colt, DD, or BCM. Of the three, I'd say the Bravo Company is probably the most available at this time. Although, a lot of folks are parting out complete Colt rifles these days.

blackscot
06-06-13, 09:24
Thanks for all the prompt replies!

As usual, I forgot a couple of specifics. The gun will almost certainly receive a FF handguard, probably VTAC. Also, I'd want a threaded muzzle.

I'll check out these sources -- thanks again.

mtdawg169
06-06-13, 09:40
Noveske 14.5" Skinny Contour, if you are willing to pin and weld the muzzle device or SBR. Weighs 20oz and has the improved profile that tappers from the collar to the muzzle whereas the DD and BCM have the same government profile, smaller under the handgaurds and thicker past the gas port (just not as thick) as a standard barrel.

http://www.rogtac.com/noveske/barrels/5-56mm/noveske-skinny-barrel.html

I was looking at this one a couple of days ago, but I just can't justify the cost vs a DD or BCM. I'm trying to track down a DD 14.5 LW middie with pinned gas block.

blackscot
06-06-13, 10:56
I also should have mentioned that I don't know whether the upper recieiver will be cut for M4 feedramps. Right now I'm assuming it won't.

It looks from their website like all BCM barrels have M4 ramps, but I can't tell whether the DD barrels do.

wahoo95
06-06-13, 11:46
Great topic. I just assembled a "Lady Build" a couple days ago. I went with a 14.5" LW BCM Middy, 11" Troy Alpha. Its been my observation building rifles for ladies/kids that balance is just as important as overall weight. Reducing muzzle end weight combined with moving the balance point behind the magwell goes a long way to making a rifle easier for them to manage. Lots of times folks will focus simply on reducing overall weight and neglect the importance of balance. They end up with a rifle that's lightweight yet still feels front heavy to those with less upper body strength. I like a heavier stock to do that since the rear of the rifle will receive support from the shooting hand and shoulder. In addition the cheek will provide another touch point for control. The front end of the rifle only has one touch point that being the support side hand which is extended from the body making any weight harder to manage.

Riddle
06-06-13, 11:47
I was looking at this one a couple of days ago, but I just can't justify the cost vs a DD or BCM. I'm trying to track down a DD 14.5 LW middie with pinned gas block.

I was also stuck between the noveske, bcm, and dd. I went with the noveske bc even though it costs the most, once you factor in the pinned gas block, it's not that much of a difference. There's also a 5% off coupon and as a bonus, rogtac is awesome. AIM also has a spikes barrel in stock for ~$200 (I think)

PatrioticDisorder
06-06-13, 13:07
Just bought a DDM4V1 LW and while I wouldn't call the Colt 6920 heavy, the DD LW literally feels like a feather. Can't speak for the others, but with the right rail/handguard/tube I know you can build a front end light rifle.

Iraqgunz
06-06-13, 13:12
All carbine barrels if made correctly have M4 feed ramps. Are you using some kind of goofball upper or a rifle flat top upper?

I also should have mentioned that I don't know whether the upper recieiver will be cut for M4 feedramps. Right now I'm assuming it won't.

It looks from their website like all BCM barrels have M4 ramps, but I can't tell whether the DD barrels do.

blackscot
06-06-13, 13:31
All carbine barrels if made correctly have M4 feed ramps. Are you using some kind of goofball upper or a rifle flat top upper?

The most likely immediate course would be for the new LW barrel to replace the original M4-profile barrel currently on a complete S&W M&P15 flattop. I don't think this M&P15 has M4 feedramps.

PA PATRIOT
06-06-13, 16:10
I have the below listed link PSA 16" Mid-Length .625 Pencil profile barrel and a few others as spares and it is very light weight and is surprisingly accurate. PSA runs them on sale on a regular basis and they are cheap in price compared to other like spec barrels.

FN Manufacturing is the maker of these barrels and the Q/C appears excellent.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/upper-parts/barrels/psa-16-cmv-5-56-nato-mid-length-pencil-profile-chrome-lined-mp-premium-barrel.html

SeriousStudent
06-06-13, 18:39
I have a pencil barrel 16" middy from BCM, with the Troy TRX 13" rail system. It has a Aimpoint H-1 with a pair of DD fixed sights. I based it on a carbine Grant built for Ken Hackathorn.

It's very light and very easy to use. My daughter uses it on range trips, and really, really likes it's handling.

It's become my HD carbine, and my favorite as well.

ra2bach
06-07-13, 09:57
DD LW barrels are said to be quite accurate...

TomF
06-07-13, 10:01

I have found this to be true over multiple examples.

I have a 14.5" midlength LW DD barrel that I am very pleased with.

ALCOAR
06-07-13, 12:42
Evaluating Daniel Defense's 14.5" CHF LW 5.56 barrel... (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=111488)

blackscot
06-07-13, 13:40

Saw one in-stock at my local fun store at lunchtime today, $275 and no shipping or waiting.