PDA

View Full Version : Obama wants to put Samantha Powers in a UN seat?

Magic_Salad0892
06-06-13, 11:14
http://news.yahoo.com/ap-source-obama-name-samantha-power-un-post-120030277.html;_ylt=A2KJ2UhmKa9RcUsAj8rQtDMD#

I scored this off of ARFCOM, and the OP in that thread posted my first thought verbatim:

"The one who called for the US to do a military invasion of Israel?"

brickboy240
06-06-13, 11:46
Israel and Syria are getting ready to go at it right now.

I bet we get dragged into another un-winnable nation building project.

-brickboy240

SteyrAUG
06-06-13, 12:43
Yeah...there are some pretty scary chess pieces in some pretty scary places at the moment.

brickboy240
06-06-13, 12:51
Syrian forces overtake a border checkpoint run by UN forces from Austria.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/world/8762609/Syrian-rebels-seize-U-N-manned-border-crossing

They did not even put up a fight....just hid in a bunker.

...nice

-Brickboy240

Iraqgunz
06-06-13, 13:25
That is generally the case in most U.N situations as they generally can only use force when being directly engaged and even then the ROE makes them vulnerable.

Syrian forces overtake a border checkpoint run by UN forces from Austria.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/world/8762609/Syrian-rebels-seize-U-N-manned-border-crossing

They did not even put up a fight....just hid in a bunker.

...nice

-Brickboy240

glocktogo
06-06-13, 13:46
One thing you can take to the bank with Rice & Powers is that our guys will be put on the line physically, then left holding the bag with no calvalry forthcoming.

Benghazi wasn't a failure, it was a preview of things to come. :mad:

VooDoo6Actual
06-06-13, 15:42
Lamb of God / Cannon Fodder coming.... Bank on it

sboza
06-06-13, 18:24
That is generally the case in most U.N situations as they generally can only use force when being directly engaged and even then the ROE makes them vulnerable.

Yep, just one more job that I'm glad I don't have to do. Can't imagine how crappy it is for those folks. Although they are sometime armed and are sometimes even given ammo, the bad guys/terrorists have no respect or fear of them. What's the point of wielding a big stick if everyone knows you're not allowed to use it? I don't get the liberal mind.

Mjolnir
06-06-13, 18:58
No one is asking the $10,000 question: "Why the conflict with Syria?"

"One man with courage makes a majority."

Mjolnir
06-06-13, 19:00
http://news.yahoo.com/ap-source-obama-name-samantha-power-un-post-120030277.html;_ylt=A2KJ2UhmKa9RcUsAj8rQtDMD#

I scored this off of ARFCOM, and the OP in that thread posted my first thought verbatim:

"The one who called for the US to do a military invasion of Israel?"

In what context did she utter those words?

Could we equate them to Senator McCain's "Bomb, bomb, bomb,... Iran"?

SteyrAUG
06-06-13, 19:09

Here you go...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFdt6fjdHQw

Harry Kreisler of Berkeley’s Institute of International Studies asked her, as “a thought experiment,” to explain how her support for liberal interventionism to defend human rights abroad might be applied to a situation like the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, she replied: “What we need is a willingness to actually put something on the line in the service of helping the situation. And putting something on the line might mean alienating a domestic constituency of tremendous political and financial import.” Her comments were taken as a clear reference to the idea that peace in the Middle East might require a willingness from U.S. officials to alienate some Jewish-American supporters of Israel.

Ms. Power, then an academic at Harvard, added in the interview that the U.S. might also have to consider imposing a solution on the parties and deploy soldiers to take part in a peace-enforcement mission. She said:

It may mean, more crucially, sacrificing, or investing I think more than sacrificing, literally billions of dollars, not in servicing Israel’s military but actually investing in the new state of Palestine; in investing billions of dollars it would probably take also to support I think what will have to be a mammoth a protection force — not of the old Srebrenica kind or of the Rwanda kind, but a meaningful military presence.

glocktogo
06-07-13, 00:15
Here you go...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFdt6fjdHQw

Harry Kreisler of Berkeley’s Institute of International Studies asked her, as “a thought experiment,” to explain how her support for liberal interventionism to defend human rights abroad might be applied to a situation like the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, she replied: “What we need is a willingness to actually put something on the line in the service of helping the situation. And putting something on the line might mean alienating a domestic constituency of tremendous political and financial import.” Her comments were taken as a clear reference to the idea that peace in the Middle East might require a willingness from U.S. officials to alienate some Jewish-American supporters of Israel.

Ms. Power, then an academic at Harvard, added in the interview that the U.S. might also have to consider imposing a solution on the parties and deploy soldiers to take part in a peace-enforcement mission. She said:

It may mean, more crucially, sacrificing, or investing I think more than sacrificing, literally billions of dollars, not in servicing Israel’s military but actually investing in the new state of Palestine; in investing billions of dollars it would probably take also to support I think what will have to be a mammoth a protection force — not of the old Srebrenica kind or of the Rwanda kind, but a meaningful military presence.

Academics who say shit like this should have a rifle shoved in their hands and sent in at the tip of the spear. :mad:

SteyrAUG
06-07-13, 00:51
Academics who say shit like this should have a rifle shoved in their hands and sent in at the tip of the spear. :mad:

Yep, really easy to send somebody else to get killed over your brilliant idea. Typical elitists ****ed up mindset that see's "people as expendable" in order to promote the "greater good for the people."

Personally I think we need to stop trying to fix the Israeli/Palestinian problem and just let them work it out for themselves. Nothing is going to be accomplished if we keep sending both sides money and blowing the whistle every time somebody starts some shit.

We aren't going to change minds or attitudes, we are just interfering and perpetuating the conflict.

polymorpheous
06-07-13, 01:04
No one is asking the $10,000 question: "Why the conflict with Syria?"

Same reason for the whole orchestrated "Arab Spring" movement.
To destabilize the region around Israel.

Mjolnir
06-07-13, 06:28
Same reason for the whole orchestrated "Arab Spring" movement.
To destabilize the region around Israel.

Honey Brown Ale to polymorpheous!

Mjolnir
06-07-13, 06:34
I don't see her comments as front-page worthy, at all.

In fact, I find her comments indicative of all other Globalists: willing to spend YOUR blood and money for someone else's gain...

Take things in the region at face value her comments are prescient.

Knowing what I know those who are stationed there will bear the brunt of both entities there as Israel swallows the region - which is fully the plan (in the public record).

The answer: get out of the UN and stop financial and military support to ALL nations - Israel included.

I know that last one will rankle many but if you PERSONALLY wish to donate then do so. Our gov't has no business taking the money of the whole and giving it to anyone.

Simple solution.

Yes, all the recipient nations will have to find other means and of them money is of weapons let them.

Spiffums
06-07-13, 06:48

I'm glad it's summer so that Beach Boys song stuck in my head now doesn't sound weird lol

polymorpheous
06-07-13, 07:17
Honey Brown Ale to polymorpheous!

You must have Prism clearance.
How'd you know about my love for brown ale?

yellowfin
06-07-13, 09:44
I really wish we could get a president with balls enough to defund the UN entirely, pull out all of our $ from the IMF, etc. Is anyone other than me sick of sending OUR money to these 3rd world and EU idiots to subsidize their stupidity?