PDA

View Full Version : Required reading list?

1911Gunner
08-03-06, 18:45
Hey all,

If we were to start an required reading list, what would you put on it?
I would suggest:

Sun Tzu - The Art of War

I am waiting to read:
Bravo Two Zero
Battle of Mogadishu
Six Minutes to Freedom
Delta Force (Col. Beckwith)

Also, I have seen it mentioned before, but what is the name and author of the book regarding the "new style of warfare" ala insurgency that can be related to Iraq and what is going on in Israel/Lebanon? It has been out for a while, and it was referenced as almost a required read for anyone studying special warfare/guerilla warfare/insurgent warfare. I'm pretty sure I've seen it referenced here or at AR15.com. Any help?

bigbore
08-03-06, 19:00
Embattled Courage: The Experience of Combat in the American Civil War Gerald Linderman

Prodigal Soldiers: How the Generation of Officers Born of Vietnam Revolutionized the American Style of War
James Kitfield

1911Gunner
08-03-06, 19:16
Thanks BigBore!

Is Prodigal Soldiers the book that I was asking about? When it was referenced, it was spoken that this book would help understand the doctrine that the Hezbollah is using currently, among other conflicts such as the war in Iraq and Afghanistan. It was also said that this book may have influenced their doctrine??

Thanks again for your contributions!

Another book that I would contribute would be Behind the Lines by Andrew Carroll Good book that is comprised of letters from Troops from all conflicts that the US has been involved in.

bigbore
08-03-06, 20:43
Thanks BigBore!

Is Prodigal Soldiers the book that I was asking about?

No, it only covers up to the first Gulf War.

Robb Jensen
08-03-06, 21:00
Jacobs Run
Blackhawk Down
Killing Pablo
The Black Rifle and The Black Rifle II
Enemies of the State
Unintended Consequences

LOKNLOD
08-03-06, 21:08
It's becoming a cliché on gun/tactical forums, but I finally read "Gates of Fire" by Steven Pressfield and it's definitely worth a look.

Nitrox
08-04-06, 09:55
Wirlwind - James Clavell

Chris
08-05-06, 19:04
Leadership and Training for the Fight - MSG Paul Howe (Ret.)

Uses experience in Somalia and elsewhere to explain mindset and leadership. Good information being passed through.

Saint
08-05-06, 19:23
Dear Mom: A Sniper's Vietnam

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0804108536/sr=1-2/qid=1154823716/ref=sr_1_2/002-9233830-9836800?ie=UTF8&s=books

TigerStripe
08-05-06, 20:44
Eyes Behind the Lines & Eyes of the Eagle by Gary Linderer.
War Paint by Bill Goshen
Hunting the Jackal by Billy Waugh
Unintended Consequences, of course.

TS