PDA

View Full Version : Noob intro and a question or two

Strength Of Arms
06-06-13, 14:52
Hi All,

I've been reading through this forum for the last couple of months. There is a TON of great info on here. Thanks to all of you old-timers for making it easier for us AR noobs.

I've enjoyed shooting for the last decade or so. I got started with a 1911 and the bug bit me. I got my first rifle about two years ago. It is a Century Polish underfolder (I know I know). I was able to pick it out of a group of them and it's a shooter. 3-4 moa with irons. A bit better with the red dot on the TWS rail. The longer sight radius with the peep makes a world of difference too I've put a little over 2000 rounds through it now and as it should be with AKs I've had no issues.

I picked up a Savage model 64 22lr for Christmas so I could shoot more often for less. Well, that isn't really working out for me right now....... 22lr will come back some day. :mad:

Anyhow, I just got a NIB Rock River Arms 1st Responder M4 clone. It's a bit different than their standard LE1070 in that it has their single-stage 5-6lb trigger and chrome-lined barrel. I got it, 500 rounds of 5.56 fmjbt and 5 magazines for $689. VERY HAPPY with that deal. Hell, my UF was $500. I put a couple of hundred rounds through the RRA with the irons and can hit 2-3 moa pretty easy. Well, I've run the Bushnell TRS-25 on the TWS rail on that UF for the last 1000 rounds and it's a great setup for the price. I would rather spend the larger amounts on acquiring more firearms before I put a ton of $ on accessories. That being said I very much prefer the dot over the irons. With the straighter trajectory of the 5.56 round I decided I would get another TRS-25 for quick target acquisition and add in the Primary Arms 3x magnifier with mounts for a little more distance. Got them for $200 otd. If I don't like the magnifier I can always resell it on ebay and probably make a little profit:happy:

Do any of y'all have experience with this type of mid entry level optic setup? Do you like it or not? I know I can spend $500-$2,000 on an awesome optic setup but I'm just not there yet.

I have my AK setup just perfect for CQB and its my go-to for now. My plan is for the RRA to be my primary short to mid range shooter/plinker and have the AK as secondary. I'm definitely going to get a light and probably a better muzzle device. What, if any, other modifications would you recommend for this rifle?

Thanks y'all.

lethal dose
06-06-13, 15:16
To be frank, the $200 would have been spent better elsewhere. You can easily buy a brand new aimpoint with mount for around $400. The optic you have selected will likely fail to hold up to the rigors of the weapon it has been placed on, much less any kind of defensive situation. In my opinion, a light and sling would have been much better purchases. As for the rifle, I'm sure you know there's better out there- even for the money (considering you have spent time reading the forum threads). With that said, your RRA can (and likely will) serve you for many years to come. Make sure your gas key and castle nut are properly staked. I highly suggest attending a good training class to find out what some of your rifle's shortcomings are and to, most importantly, learn good habits from the start. Ammo is resurfacing and 1000 rounds and a sling are minimal investments- you'll even likely have some left over from the class. If you care to share the general area in which you are from, I'll gladly assist you in finding a good training source. Welcome to M4C.

Split66
06-06-13, 15:18
As for modifying the rifle, read this

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7376

On the point of the optic set up, for fun range/plinking use the set up will work fine. If you decide to upgrade buy an Aimpoint. Their toughness, battery life, and reputation are stellar and the price point is not too much higher than what you run now. I say roll with it for now and dont worry too much. Spend alot more time poking around M4C and get alot of rounds downrange. Consider taking an intro rifle course and that will really show you what your rifle and set up is made of :) You've come to the right place for advice and a no bullshit outlook on the rifle. Welcome and good luck.......

Inuvik
06-06-13, 15:27
There is a sub-forum for optics questions.

Here is a good place to start: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=77928

Good luck!

SpankMonkey
06-06-13, 15:43
You don't know what you don't know! That is a bold statement.

You need to stop spending money on cheap optics and buy a light, sling, mags and ammo. Next find a training class to attend.

Remember, You don't know what you don't know. The class will teach you what you need to focus on. Save your money and buy quality optics down the road. Cheap optics will not last very long with rough use. Quit wasting money on them.

Remember.... You don't know what you don't know.

Strength Of Arms
06-06-13, 16:10
Just to clarify, I'm not a firearms noob just new to ARs. I stocked up guys. I have a sling, 1,500 rounds 10 mags and am going to get a light. I'd heard much the same on the AK forums about cheapo dots but the TRS-25 has held up thru some use on my 870 and then switched to the AK with 1000+ rounds and 7 range and cleaning trips. I'm not gentle with the AK. Now it's not as bright as the aimpoint (10 settings and on a 105 degree cloudless Texas summer I can see the dot clearly on an 8), have multiple reticles, or as long battery life, but it is durable, AND $87. For me, for now, even a cheaper dot is more fun to shoot with than just irons. Once I've finished out my collection of designated purpose rifles, I will start in on the higher end optics. No experience with the magnifier. It was only $79 so I'm not too concerned. We'll see if I like using one before I spend any serious cash on it. I've sanded the trigger. The nut and key have the typical RRA light staking but they're staked. My pop is a retired Ret. Sargent Major and we've done and do some drills together, him with one of his many, and me with the AK so I'm pretty comfortable with that. Anyone have experience with the magnifiers and suggestions for modifications to the rifle like; grips, handguards, mounts, muzzle devices, etc. Lethal, Since 500 rounds are going for $350, mags are $20, and I spent $689 I have an AR for $200 I don't believe there's a better rifle for the money. Split, I've read through all of the tech posts. They are extremely informative and I've thoroughly enjoyed myself to the head shaking of my wife when I'm like, oh babe check this out!!!!. She says I'm obsessed, I say I'm uhhhhh dedicated!!!!

mrvco
06-06-13, 16:22
I'd leave the magnifier in the drawer, buy a sling, take a class and shoot the heck out of it. The TRS-25 should hold up fine for the range until you figure out what you want / need in a nicer optic.

SpankMonkey
06-06-13, 16:25
Just to clarify, I'm not a firearms noob just new to ARs. I stocked up guys. I have a sling, 1,500 rounds 10 mags and am going to get a light. I'd heard much the same on the AK forums about cheapo dots but the TRS-25 has held up thru some use on my 870 and then switched to the AK with 1000+ rounds and 7 range and cleaning trips. I'm not gentle with the AK. Now it's not as bright as the aimpoint (10 settings and on a 105 degree cloudless Texas summer I can see the dot clearly on an 8), have multiple reticles, or as long battery life, but it is durable, AND $87. For me, for now, even a cheaper dot is more fun to shoot with than just irons. Once I've finished out my collection of designated purpose rifles, I will start in on the higher end optics. No experience with the magnifier. It was only $79 so I'm not too concerned. We'll see if I like using one before I spend any serious cash on it. I've sanded the trigger. The nut and key have the typical RRA light staking but they're staked. My pop is a retired Ret. Sargent Major and we've done and do some drills together, him with one of his many, and me with the AK so I'm pretty comfortable with that. Anyone have experience with the magnifiers and suggestions for modifications to the rifle like; grips, handguards, mounts, muzzle devices, etc. Lethal, Since 500 rounds are going for $350, mags are $20, and I spent $689 I have an AR for $200 I don't believe there's a better rifle for the money. Split, I've read through all of the tech posts. They are extremely informative and I've thoroughly enjoyed myself to the head shaking of my wife when I'm like, oh babe check this out!!!!. She says I'm obsessed, I say I'm uhhhhh dedicated!!!!

If you already know the answers, why are you asking questions?

Strength Of Arms
06-06-13, 16:40
Hey Jerkoff, ahem, I mean spankmonkey (LOL see what I did there?)

Like I said, I'm not a noob to firearms, I've read thru the sticky tech posts and the basics of what they recommend. I understand the difference between a cheap dot and an expensive one. In my original post I introduced myself and asked if anyone had any experience with this optic setup. No one has said they have just that cheaper optics are crap. I'm my limited experience with the Bushnell it's worked just fine. I said I'm definitely going to get a light and asked for recommendations on modifications. Read a little slower next time.

MRVCO, INUVIK, and SPLIT66 get it. Thank you guys.

Name calling is a bad start, along with posting in the wrong forum. See what I did there? And I'm not laughing. - SeriousStudent

SpankMonkey
06-06-13, 16:49
Hey Jerkoff, ahem, I mean spankmonkey (LOL see what I did there?)

Like I said, I'm not a noob to firearms, I've read thru the sticky tech posts and the basics of what they recommend. I understand the difference between a cheap dot and an expensive one. In my original post I introduced myself and asked if anyone had any experience with this optic setup. No one has said they have just that cheaper optics are crap. I'm my limited experience with the Bushnell it's worked just fine. I said I'm definitely going to get a light and asked for recommendations on modifications. Read a little slower next time.

MRVCO, INUVIK, and SPLIT66 get it. Thank you guys.

New guy calling people names by his third post.

What you are asking has been asked a thousand times and always ends with the same answer.

We get tired of giving the NEW guys the same answer. Do some research with the search button.

Have a long and bright future sir.

skijunkie55
06-06-13, 16:49
I ran a vortex sparc with a 3x magnifier for about an hour on the range. Originally had it one of my rifles with an eotech but sold that a while back... Seems to be similar to what you're asking about?
http://i45.tinypic.com/9qabyb.jpg
^^ Pic related. Almost the same setup.
However, it wasn't for me.

IMO, its kinda pointless when you can just get an illuminated reticle on a 1-4x scope like a Leupold Mark AR mod 1.

Strength Of Arms
06-06-13, 16:57
I ran a vortex sparc with a 3x magnifier for about an hour on the range. Originally had it one of my rifles with an eotech but sold that a while back... Seems to be similar to what you're asking about?

However, it wasn't for me.

IMO, its kinda pointless when you can just get an illuminated reticle on a 1-4x scope like a Leupold Mark AR mod 1.

I've never used a 1-4x. At the 1 mark do you feel you get the same target acquisition speed as a dot, or enough to make a difference? Honestly I just hadn't thought of using one of those. I keep seeing the dot magnifier and since I've only used the dot up until now that's where my brain went. My 22lr has the first scope I've used. Pop has trained me on irons (all he's ever used) and we're both starting to use optics. My 22 has a standard 3-9x40 and its fun to use I just didn't think it'd do well on a battle rifle. I'm using cheaper optics to see what works for me then once I get the 308 bolt and figure out what works best for each I'll be going for the good stuff.

Split66
06-06-13, 16:59
I guess the general consensus is really dont worry about the grips and things so much. Basically you are going to end up with a box of shit that didnt work. The members here are real good at suggesting the baseline for proven hard use Rifles, Optics, and the like so you can avoid having a box of shit that didnt work that cost $10000 but some things are real personal. Shoot the gun and see where it goes. I think its ASH556 or someone who has a quote that cant be truer. Most questions asked on a gun forum can be answered with trips to the range. Just shoot the piss out of the gun. Add that with a little Search button rapeage and youll get the pulse of what works and doesnt for alot of the members in terms of accessories and the like. Try not to make/take things to personal attack level here and it's much more benificial for everyone :)

Inuvik
06-06-13, 17:00
Strength of Arms - You need to realize that there is a culture here that is very sensitive to the type of posts you have started out with.

In just the last year or two, there have been about a billion posts by new AR owners who start out with: "I just bought a RRA/BM/whatever, slapped a bunch of low quality stuff on it, and it is the best thing ever!!!" type information.

They then get defensive when folks tell them they wasted their money, and start calling names.

I can see that is not your intent, but step back, and re-read your first three posts. They fit this pattern very well.

It sounds like you have decent perspective on your own needs, so again, enjoy your gun and go shoot it.

polymorpheous
06-06-13, 17:53
It's a sub-par rifle with Chinese optics mounted up top.
Shoot it until it breaks.

This is the only way most new guys learn.
:nono:

SeriousStudent
06-06-13, 18:08
Strength of Arms, I'm not sure you get it.

To make sure you did, you need to check your PM's and your attitude.

If you wish to stay a member here, you need to dial back the attitude and the insults.