PDA

View Full Version : MGI Hydra

mag318
06-06-13, 16:33
My LGS got in a MGI Hydra Modular AR, does anyone here have any experience or opinions on these? I want to research it before buying but it seems like a good design with decent build quality. I like the way it breaks down an fits into a small case.

wetidlerjr
06-06-13, 18:29
My LGS got in a MGI Hydra Modular AR, does anyone here have any experience or opinions on these? I want to research it before buying but it seems like a good design with decent build quality. I like the way it breaks down an fits into a small case.

Little info here through "Search" and their site shows mostly "Out of Stock". They have been around for awhile but I have never seen one. Their rifles don't seem proven enough by anyone of note for me to take a chance on a purchase. YMMV

Don Robison
06-06-13, 18:35
I have a friend who was asked to evaluate them for a security company and he said it was a colossal POS.

This is a quote from his AAR on it.

The worst part of the experience, however, has been in dealing with MGI. I'm sure they've heard of QC and customer service, and decided they were not part of their business plan.

mag318
06-06-13, 21:41
Thanks Don, I respect your opinion. The gun is an interesting concept but from what I'm hearing I'll have to pass on it.

blade_68
06-07-13, 02:26
I've got one as said pos for most people, it has special use nitch good for storage and quickly able to change barrels don't plan on being able to make accurate shots if you swap out the barrels much. I got mine to test quick change caliber 5.56 / 7.62x39. The AK mag well has not been reliably in use with ak mags. The 7.62 bolt broke the extractor broke under 30rnds MGI replaced it when I called them. If it's a "cool guy tool" for the range maybe, the idea is good but its not my go to rifle of choice. . Mine has a crap red dot and can pack in small backpack. As Overall range toy. Not something to depend on. Over priced for what you get. As said customer service needs some work. Left waiting for upper for months and no reason or response for why other than lame excuses after getting someone on the phone (4-6) months. I could have bought a 6920, Aimpoint M4s 1000 rnds ammo for less and no frustration.