PDA

View Full Version : DTA SRS-A1 Covert vs KAC SR-25 ECC

Tacti-square
06-06-13, 18:13
I tried to find two rifles with identical barrel lengths and calibers, both made by respectable companies with good reputations. DTA and KAC both meet the requirements so let's get started.

The Covert certainly has the edge in portability, seeing as it's around 10 inches shorter than the ECC. Is it wrong to assume that it would get better groupings at ranges exceeding 800 yards due to it being a bolt gun? Also I think it has the advantage when it comes to subsonic shooting since it doesn't have to cycle anything itself, not to mention caliber conversion (but that part's not really fair).

The ECC has a slight weight advantage, though I doubt it would be easier to point with all those forward pounds. Obviously follow-up shots and recoil mitigation are totally in its favor, without (to my knowledge) sacrificing measurable accuracy or range. Also, magazine capacity is more than tripled. Ergonomic and familiar fire controls are a plus as well.

I know this is apples and oranges but I couldn't help myself. Have self-loading PRs just plain surpassed the competition thanks to technology? What can the Covert offer, besides affordability?

C-grunt
06-06-13, 23:23
From what I have read, as I don't own any high end bolt guns or gas guns, the bolt guns are still more accurate.

VIP3R 237
06-06-13, 23:46
What are you going to use this for? Both are very high quality rifles.

If you are sitting on a bench shooting for groups then the DTA generally holds the edge in accuracy, and the compact package is convenient. The caliber conversion kits are also nice if you are into that sort of thing.

However the SR25 is the more versatile platform, you cant discount the quick follow up available with the semi auto. Also the ECC can be fired and operated from either shoulder, the DTA struggles with this. Parts are also more prevalent with the SR25 design.

Tacti-square
06-07-13, 00:00
If you are sitting on a bench shooting for groups then the DTA generally holds the edge in accuracy, and the compact package is convenient.

So would you say that unless you're grouping at 1K, the ECC is probably the more capable rifle? Is it maneuverable enough?

C-grunt
06-07-13, 08:34
Again it depends on what capability you are looking for. If you are wanting to make head shots at 1000 yards then the DTA is more capable. If you are engaging multiple targets in a short period of time then the KAC is more capable.

Littlelebowski
06-07-13, 08:36
The KAC won't outshoot the DTA nor will you be able to change calibers like on the DTA. The KAC will have faster follow up shots.

Personally, I think the DTA makes more sense for long range hunting and competitions. Both are fine choices.

CC556
06-07-13, 09:08
Again, depending on your purpose...

Even if both guns are equally mechanically accurate the bolt gun is easier to shoot well from any kind of unstable position. I've shot semi auto guns past 1200 yards from prone and I don't feel I'm at a disadvantage there vs. my similarly configured bolt guns. The big difference comes in a match where you're shooting off an obstacle or in a tight space where you can't get into a really good position behind the gun. At that point the bolt gun is definitely easier to make hits with.

ICANHITHIMMAN
06-07-13, 09:14
Did we not just have a long discussion about this same topic, more or less.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=127430

Failure2Stop
06-07-13, 09:48
It is a lot easier to make a sub-MOA stainless barrel bolt gun than a sub-MOA chrome-lined barrel semi-auto. Then again, they both serve different purposes. Personally, a 1-MOA semi-auto 7.62 fills my needs for 7.62. If I need more precision, I probably need a different caliber.

There is a reason that a sniper suite includes a 7.62 semi-auto and a .300 Win Mag or .338 LapMag bolt gun.

Falsecrack
06-09-13, 02:52
I've never handled, nor shot a DTA, but I do own an SR 25 ECC. Mine wears a T1 up top so I can't even comment on it's true accuracy. But if it's precision you're after, I'd think something like an OBR 7.62 (which I also own), or a GAP 10 or JP, may be a better comparison. With that said, I love my ECC as it is (relatively) light, soft recoiling, and more than accurate for what I need. Plus, the added fact that KAC has been tested in the field for as long as it has, doesn't hurt.

In any event, I wish you luck in your search.

orkan
06-09-13, 21:23
DTA makes the most versatile bolt guns in the world. I've never had one in my hands and wished I had something else.