PDA

View Full Version : There IS a noob intro forum!! Re-post from general.

Strength Of Arms
06-06-13, 19:46
I posted this in the general forum and got off on the wrong foot. Its closed, Let me try this again.

Hi All,

I've been reading through this forum for the last couple of months. There is a TON of great info on here. Thanks to all of you old-timers for making it easier for us AR noobs.

I've enjoyed shooting for the last decade or so. I got started with a Kimber 1911 and the bug bit me. I rounded out my handgun collection and got my first rifle about two years ago. It is a Polish Underfolder AK. It's a shooter, 3-4 moa with irons. A bit better with the red dot on the TWS rail. The longer sight radius with the peep makes a world of difference. I've put a little over 2000 rounds through it now and as it should be with AKs I've had no issues.

I picked up a Savage model 64 22lr for Christmas so I could shoot more often for less. Well, that isn't really working out for me right now....... 22lr will come back some day. :confused:

So, a couple of months ago I picked up a NIB Rock River Arms 1st Responder.. It's a bit different than their standard LE1070 in that it has their single-stage trigger and chrome-lined barrel. I got it, 500 rounds of 5.56 fmjbt and 5 magazines for $689. VERY HAPPY with that deal.

I put a couple of hundred rounds through it. I've ordered an entry-mid level red-dot and magnifier to replace the handle with rear iron. My first time to use a magnifier with a red dot so we'll see how it goes. I'm going to put a light and a better flash hider on it. I' m following up on the suggestions in the tech forum stickys to improve the rifle; staking, polishing trigger, H-buffer, etc. Looking forward to customizing my newest find.

Noob from Fort Worth.

wetidlerjr
06-06-13, 23:25
Sounds like you might be on the right path.

nortexeric
06-07-13, 15:27
Good stuff you got going, and howdy from a fellow Texan. Which red dot did you go with?

-Eric

TacCommE21
06-08-13, 09:06
Welcome to the forum!

Airhasz
06-08-13, 13:43
Welcome, looks like you are off and running with your RRA! Just a reminder...these old timers as you call them, might run just run circles around ya...:p

Strength Of Arms
06-09-13, 09:30
Good stuff you got going, and howdy from a fellow Texan. Which red dot did you go with?

-Eric

I'm using an aimpoint micro clone, the Bushnell TRS-25. It's what I've used on my AK, my 44 mag lever, and my 870 and they have all held up great. So I'm getting another for the AR. It has a 3 moa dot and in the middle of summer with no clouds I can still see it clearly.

Where do you shoot around here? I usually go up to Quail Creek. I like that they have that reactive range you can move around on. We go to Alpine for skeet. Do you know of anywhere that has a range longer than 100 yards?

Airhasz, I know all about the old timers my pop is 30 years my senior and still kicks my butt on quickdraw, and round placement. One day I will beat the Sargent Major.......... :)

nortexeric
06-10-13, 15:57
I haven't shot at Quail Creek yet, but would love to go. The reactive range soungs like it could be some fun. I generally only shoot pistols at ranges like the one out in Weatherford, Lonestar I think, and when I feel the need to bring the long guns I travel out to some of my buddies' land, but haven't been doing much of that with the ammo shortage lately. I don't know of anywhere local that is longer than 100yrds off the top of my head, but I'll look around.

-Eric