PDA

View Full Version : Bird feeder vandalism....

Denali
06-06-13, 22:01
This very large bear has eaten half a dozen of my feeders so far this spring, his latest vandalism literally just moments ago.....I am a well seasoned wildlife photographer, I classify bears according to a four point system, small, medium, large, and very large.....

This guy came back in to the feeder tree just a moment after I retrieved the SD card from the camera trap after his first foray. I was on the deck as he came back in, his head being about the same size as a half barrel(width)of beer, but he was scared off due to my proximity. He came in a third time as I was preparing a camera for him, he barked at me several times, woofed once, and then once again bolted into the nearby forest, taking bird feeder number seven(7)with him after snapping the 1/4 " bungee that had held it to the tree.

Never a dull moment....

nml
06-06-13, 22:31
Ha yeah that's a big boy.

It's a lot warmer here, sure this wasn't take in winter or the mountains? :D

AKDoug
06-07-13, 00:11
This is precisely why my feeders come down at the end of April. I don't need bears in my yard and the birds don't need fed with the warmer temps :D

Zane1844
06-07-13, 00:18
I have a sort of similar "problem."

I catch this guy coming at least once a week stealing our avocado's. :D

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/934772_355861397870394_1111880375_n.jpg

Denali
06-07-13, 00:23
Ha yeah that's a big boy.

It's a lot warmer here, sure this wasn't take in winter or the mountains? :D

Nope, northwestern Wisconsin, I live along the Thornapple river, about one half of a mile east of the Chippewa river, and approximately four miles northwest of the Flambeau river. This area of the Superior aquifer is home to large concentrations of gray wolves, and black bear, both of which are not all that shy about plundering farm yards, and rural homesteads when grubs hard to come by in spring... and its been a very cold spring, it froze as recently as this past Sunday night....

yellowfin
06-07-13, 09:56
Looks to me like he's volunteering for a spot in the freezer then the dutch oven.

markm
06-07-13, 10:45
I catch this guy coming at least once a week stealing our avocado's. :D

Squirrel Avacado Wraps anyone? :p

brickboy240
06-07-13, 13:15
Our "boars" look nothing like that.

-brickboy240

Watrdawg
06-07-13, 13:28
I've got a big Russian Blue cat that would easily take care of your squirrel problem. So far in the last month I've seen him eating 5 squirrels, 3 rabbits and 3 birds. That's just what I've seen. Who knows what else he's killed and eaten. He's a big cat, 15lbs of muscle.

brickboy240
06-07-13, 15:08
An old Remington 22lr bolt gun with a scope and 22 CB caps takes care of my squirrel problem.

For those "boars" like in the photos...you might need a 30-30!

LOL

Denali
06-07-13, 17:07
Our "boars" look nothing like that.

-brickboy240

That's because you have virtually no bear in all of Texas. If you had eight or ten thousand of them, you'd have a far better check on your feral hog problems down that way.

The only thing black bear love more then suet, is pork chops....BTW, an adult male black bear is properly called a, "Boar!" ;)

Mjolnir
06-07-13, 21:27
Shoot it.

Well, STOP THE BIRD FEEDING!!

You're baiting it.

I have a friend who does the same thing seemingly oblivious to the fact that more than birds like the feed - and the birds don't need it, they've been here longer than us. Winter time? Cool. Spring and Summer and Fall? Only if you want black bears.

"One man with courage makes a majority."

MistWolf
06-07-13, 22:32
...The only thing black bear love more then suet, is pork chops...

Maybe switch to bird feed without suet?

D. Christopher
06-07-13, 22:32
Just wait until he starts going through your car looking for snacks. Those bastards are crafty!

Black Bear Opening Truck Door:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=522_1370624835

CarlosDJackal
06-08-13, 00:29
Wild birds don't need our help to keep them fed between Spring and Fall. Maybe they use our help when there is snow on the ground.

Outside of contact with fast moving vehicles, the biggest killer of bears around here are bird feeders. In Virginia, if a bear that is caught raiding a bird feeder, they are usually trapped and relocated. If they are caught raiding the same bird feeder for a second time, they are captured and destroyed.

CarlosDJackal
06-08-13, 00:35
Wild birds don't need our help to keep them fed between Spring and Fall. Maybe they use our help when there is snow on the ground.

Outside of contact with fast moving vehicles, the biggest killer of bears around here are bird feeders. In Virginia, if a bear that is caught raiding a bird feeder, they are usually trapped and relocated. If they are caught raiding the same bird feeder for a second time, they are captured and destroyed.

Mjolnir
06-08-13, 08:17
Wild birds don't need our help to keep them fed between Spring and Fall. Maybe they use our help when there is snow on the ground...

Good ole fashioned common sense there.

"One man with courage makes a majority."