PDA

View Full Version : Can some kind of refinishing fix this?

blackscot
06-07-13, 06:37
This 6720 came from Colt with the thumb-sized booger pictured below behind the safety lever. Some kind of defect in milling appears to have been not-too-elegantly dealt with. Filing, grinding, or whatever has left a roughly gouged area which subsequent finishing did nothing to conceal from the surrounding normally textured area.

Is any kind of bead blasting or other resurfacing possible that will even out the texture of this area with the rest of the receiver? And/or, is there any kind of finish treatment that would provide a uniform texture?

Thanks for any steers.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n232/blackscot/Colt-blub_zps2faa8eb9.jpg (http://s113.photobucket.com/user/blackscot/media/Colt-blub_zps2faa8eb9.jpg.html)

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n232/blackscot/Colt-blub2_zpse88138df.jpg (http://s113.photobucket.com/user/blackscot/media/Colt-blub2_zpse88138df.jpg.html)

T2C
06-07-13, 07:23
I would send it back to Colt. Their Quality Control people should be catching things like this.

RCI1911
06-07-13, 08:40
Send that garbage back. No reason to keep a new product that looks like that even if you are going to beat on it. No way that thing should have left the factory.

Schmidtty
06-07-13, 08:58
I agree with others, that should have been caught. I don't have any experience with Colt's CS department, but I have heard it's decent so I would look to them first.

That said, Cerakote might fill some of that in. Sprayed properly, IME, it seems to add about 0.001" thickness and it might fill in some of that. However, I don't think it would hide it completely especially since you would be specifically looking in that area.

If you do decide to coat it, your surface prep should be minimal as you don't want to break through much of the anodizing. A light blasting in that area before it's sprayed would be about all I would do.

JMHO.

markm
06-07-13, 09:01
I'd keep it if it wasn't hurting function. Were you not able to see this before you bought it?... Like online or something?

I'd have used the blem to knock the price down and kept it as is. ;)

ICANHITHIMMAN
06-07-13, 09:11
I'd keep it if it wasn't hurting function. Were you not able to see this before you bought it?... Like online or something?

I agree, if you spend the money for a colt this is expected from what ai have seen here. Also on the question if could be refinished very, very easily.

blackscot
06-07-13, 09:24

I agree, if you spend the money for a colt this is expected from what ai have seen here. Also on the question if could be refinished very, very easily.

The gun is otherwise a keeper. Has run flawlessly so far. Trigger action and internals fit/finish (bolt carrier, etc.) are distinctly superior to my M&P15.

As far as how it was come by with the booger: basically a screw-up on my part. Without going into further specifics, the lesson was to not wholly trust any source however well known. Bottom line was that the deal was done before I knew of or could do anything about condition.

Short of returning it to the maker, I'm now just looking at whatever damage control may be feasible.

MistWolf
06-07-13, 09:28
Refinished? Yes. Blending out the damage is another story. Considering how deep it looks, blending will leave a dished area. My concern is exactly how deep does it run? Is it an imperfection from machining, or is it inter-granular? At the very least, I would contact Colt and send them good photos of the area. It's possible the blem is just cosmetic, but it's more than surface deep

ICANHITHIMMAN
06-07-13, 09:39
The gun is otherwise a keeper. Has run flawlessly so far. Trigger action and internals fit/finish (bolt carrier, etc.) are distinctly superior to my M&P15.

As far as how it was come by with the booger: basically a screw-up on my part. Without going into further specifics, the lesson was to not wholly trust any source however well known. Bottom line was that the deal was done before I knew of or could do anything about condition.

Short of returning it to the maker, I'm now just looking at whatever damage control may be feasible.

Well if it really, really bothers you, strip the lower apart. Sand the area metal abrasive paper, then blast the entire lower with aluminium oxide abrasive compound, de grease and ceracoat the lower. Its a lot easier than you may think. I have done it many times on all sorts of things.

RGoose
06-07-13, 11:13
I personally wouldn't worry about it since it's a small cosmetic blemish and doesn't negatively impact function. My guns get scratched up anyway. If you can, point it out to whomever you purchased it from and see if they can offer you a partial refund.

Split66
06-07-13, 11:20
Trash. Send the rifle and a minimum of 20000 rounds of ammo to me so I can give it a proper disposal.

Ryno12
06-07-13, 12:12
Run it & think of it as Ginger's beauty mark. However, if you're more of a Mary Ann kinda guy, send it back. Personally, I think you'd be more successful refinishing the entire lower instead of trying blend that spot in with the rest of it; and in that case, let Colt do. It's their mistake.

Sent via Tapatalk

blackscot
06-07-13, 13:38
.....I think you'd be more successful refinishing the entire lower instead of trying blend that spot in with the rest of it......

I was assuming the entire lower would need whatever treatment was taken.

kwelz
06-07-13, 14:34
I am all for function over form. But that is pretty bad. If it really bothers you I would contact colt. If it functions though it is really up to you.

MistWolf
06-07-13, 16:02
Well if it really, really bothers you, strip the lower apart. Sand the area metal abrasive paper, then blast the entire lower with aluminium oxide abrasive compound, de grease and ceracoat the lower. Its a lot easier than you may think. I have done it many times on all sorts of things.

Mask off the affected area with masking tape. Blend with with some 180 grit and water by hand until the surface is smooth and rinse with clean water. Blending with power tools can cause rippling in the repair area. Make sure the blended area is smooth and feathered. Use finer grit as needed. Apply Alodine to the repair area. Let it set until the bare aluminum takes on a golden color, then rinse with clean water. Lightly pat the area dry. DO NOT RUB! Let the Alodine harden for at least 1/2 hour after area is dry. Do not sandblast the rest of the lower. Simply prep for paint and apply paint. Sandblasting the rest of the lower isn't needed nor is it desirable

T2C
06-07-13, 17:19
Whichever way you decide to handle this, I would definitely send Colt an e-mail with pictures of the defect. The rifle should not have left the factory that way unless it was discounted as a blemished item.

GH41
06-07-13, 18:12
I don't care what the others said... You cannot sand out a hole! The most you will end up having is a larger, deeper and smoother hole! Is there more to this story than we are being told? Did you buy the gun new or used? I am guessing used. If it is new Colt will fix it. If used suck it up and get another lower if it bothers you. Trying to fix it is a waste of time IMHO. GH

ST911
06-07-13, 18:44
If that cosmetic flaw bothers you...

If you bought it from a commercial vendor, work it out with them. However, it sounds like that horse has left the barn.

If you bought it from a private party or are otherwise a second owner, Colt owes you nothing. You would likely be responsible for a replacement receiver.

Other options suggested are viable.

I would ignore it and keep shooting.

texasgunhand
06-08-13, 00:02
Send it back.you would think colt would fix it for free...

kmrtnsn
06-08-13, 00:42
Go to the painted AR section for inspiration, then order 4-6 cans of different color Aervoe. Rattle can the thing, let it dry, then shoot the hell out of it; problem solved.

wtheesfeld
06-08-13, 01:22
Did that used to say burst or auto? :)

themighty9mm
06-08-13, 02:59
For the money you spent, send it back. It shouldn't matter if it just works. You paid for a quality tool, and that is far from quality work. You bought a new gun, it should look like a new gun. Hold colt accountable for their work. Buy a new car with a big scratch, you talk to the dealer and have them make it right. Buy a new pair of shoes that have a cut in them, you would take them back and get a replacement. Its unacceptable, if they arnt held accountable. Things like this will become common place. This is of course assuming you bought it new. Otherwise...

scottryan
06-08-13, 09:42
Leave it alone.

Any type of refinishing will ruin the value of your gun.

I have a number of Colt receivers that have those grinding marks on them.

If you keep buying Colts, you will see more of this and it will drive you crazy if you worry about it. Just let it go.

polymorpheous
06-08-13, 09:52
That is not from machining.
Those marks are from grinding.

Question is, before or after anodizing?
Was the previous owner a bubba gunsmith?

O3SKILL
06-08-13, 13:02
It's been covered many many times before, but unfortunately it's next to impossible for everyone to get the memo.

If you're looking for a Colt with a perfect finish you have to inspect and purchase the rifle in person. Ensuring that the Rifles have a perfect complexion is the last thing Colt is concerned about. I've owned many and most have had love marks.

If it bothers you that much then dump the Rifle and find a new one that meets what your looking for or refinish it. I personally wouldn't worry about it. It's a well made weapon and that's what really counts.

MistWolf
06-08-13, 13:54
The problem here is, most of you assume it's just a cosmetic blemish. If so, no big deal- blend it out, treat & paint. However, it could be something deeper. Granted it's hard to tell from the photos, but how do you know it's not a deeper imperfection? How do you know it's not inter-granular? How do you know it's not a hot or cold spot? Do you know how deep it runs?

Cosmetic or not, it larger and deeper than usual and the material is also smeared. Look at the edge of the oval. It's smeared. It does bear further investigation (note that I said "investigation" not "drama").

I know many of you guys are hard charging bad-asses but you gotta pay attention to the technical details as well. Quite a few folks here are good at breaking things but sometimes I wonder how many understand how to build something. You'll growl how a lesser carbine will break just as a horde of smelly bearded guys come pouring over the hill, but you won't take time to make sure an imperfection won't do the same because "Only sissies worry about cosmetics!"

blackscot
06-10-13, 06:34
The gun was bought new and as shown last Sept. from a local retail for $1,050. I don't know whether that price was supposed to reflect the defect or not, but the salesman did not point it out. Academic at this stage though.

This is also my first AR by Colt -- Interesting that a couple of folks specifically indicated this kind of defect is typical for Colt.

Thanks for the many perspectives and options, which I will consider carefully.

deerndove14
06-10-13, 16:38
Trash. Send the rifle and a minimum of 20000 rounds of ammo to me so I can give it a proper disposal.
False. Give me at least 30,000 so I can properly burn out a barrel. :secret:

PA PATRIOT
06-10-13, 17:10
I had a Colt H-Bar with damage which looked similar to that pictured by the OP. I purchased it as a cosmetic second at the time and I saved a decent amount of change but after a few years and reading some misinformed guidance over at another AR15 based forum stating other posters had seen cracks form from the damaged area I contacted Colt who sent a call tag for the full rifle to be returned for inspection.

After about three weeks Colt returned the rifle stating they function tested the rifle, replaced the BCG and barrel and replaced the pistol grip which had a small chip in the bottom corner. Nothing was said about the finish imperfection or done to correct it.

So basically Colt considered it a none issue and replaced three parts I didn't claim to have any issue with.

Strange stuff for sure but the rifle shot better groups afterwords with the new barrel so it was still a win for me.

Shao
06-10-13, 17:28
Time to bust out the Bondo! It does look like Colt used a .mil lower and ground off the marking for the missing fire mode and it probably won't hurt the functionality of the gun, but I agree with Mistwolf - that level of damage warrants further inspection. I can imagine all kinds of stress fractures forming over time.

davidjinks
06-11-13, 07:32
I wouldn't say that is the "Norm" for Colt. However, I do agree with a few posters here (sottryan is defintely spot on) that Colt isn't known for "good looks".

All but one of my rifles are Colt 6920s. Every one of them has had some type of "Blemish" in regards to finish. I've only had 1 colt that had to be sent back because of a machining glich. That was (IMHO) a fluke occurance.

One thing I do agree with is what Poly said...was that grinding done before or after anodizing?

Contact Colt. Let them know your issue. They may ask you to send it in or they may say it isn't and issue. One thing I do know, if there is an issue with machining they go through the issue and fix it.

I got a pretty cool "over the phone" class on what they did in regards to my lower. Their tech guys are straight and to the point with no BS, at least from my experience with them.

I believe this is the number you'll need.

1 (800) 962-2658

The gun was bought new and as shown last Sept. from a local retail for $1,050. I don't know whether that price was supposed to reflect the defect or not, but the salesman did not point it out. Academic at this stage though.

This is also my first AR by Colt -- Interesting that a couple of folks specifically indicated this kind of defect is typical for Colt.

Thanks for the many perspectives and options, which I will consider carefully.

Shao
06-11-13, 09:51
I have the utmost respect for Colt and have owned at least one Colt firearm since I was seven (all 1911s), but I would never buy a Colt AR. They seem overpriced for what they are. I guess that's why the phrase "paying for the pony" is so well known. I don't ever plan on selling my ARs so the resale value argument is a moot point. Anyway, I hope they take care of you.

markm
06-11-13, 09:55
I have the utmost respect for Colt and have owned at least one Colt firearm since I was seven (all 1911s), but I would never buy a Colt AR. They seem overpriced for what they are. I guess that's why the phrase "paying for the pony" is so well known. I don't ever plan on selling my ARs so the resale value argument is a moot point. Anyway, I hope they take care of you.

Huh? Colt ARs run the same price as most other guns if you look around. They were overpriced in the panic, but they pop up in WallyMart for their regular $1100 or so price again now according to posts I've seen. :confused:

midSCarolina
06-11-13, 09:58
Time to bust out the Bondo! It does look like Colt used a .mil lower and ground off the marking for the missing fire mode and it probably won't hurt the functionality of the gun, but I agree with Mistwolf - that level of damage warrants further inspection. I can imagine all kinds of stress fractures forming over time.

1st the marks don't look deep enough to have ground off any marking and a similar mark would be present on the other side... 2nd the selector says fire when it would say semi rather than fire on a mil lower... 3rd the internal milling of the SF lower should be different than that of a semi to accommodate the SF FCG.

I would send pictures to Colt... they will tell you whether it needs to be returned or not. I like it though... gives the rifle character. Colt makes a shit ton of rifles and as long as it won't cause any functional issues later on, it is a nice distinguishing mark.

Shao
06-11-13, 10:06
Huh? Colt ARs run the same price as most other guns if you look around. They were overpriced in the panic, but they pop up in WallyMart for their regular $1100 or so price again now according to posts I've seen. :confused:

Well, overpriced as in for the features you get - no CHF barrel, at least a few dings in the finish, and base M4 furniture. I'm just sayin - you could build an equivalent rifle for less IMO.

1st the marks don't look deep enough to have ground off any marking and a similar mark would be present on the other side... 2nd the selector says fire when it would say semi rather than fire on a mil lower... 3rd the internal milling of the SF lower should be different than that of a semi to accommodate the SF FCG.

Good point... I didn't think about the Semi thing... Hmmmm... Gotta scratch my head on this one...

markm
06-11-13, 10:09
Well, overpriced as in for the features you get - no CHF barrel, at least a few dings in the finish, and base M4 furniture. I'm just sayin - you could build an equivalent rifle for less IMO.

I usually piece guns together.. and don't own a complete factory Colt for the record.... But for the price of a BCG alone, beating a Complete Colt is tough.

Shao
06-11-13, 10:26
I usually piece guns together.. and don't own a complete factory Colt for the record.... But for the price of a BCG alone, beating a Complete Colt is tough.

True.. I wouldn't mind owning a few Colt BCGs...

blackscot
06-11-13, 13:21
.....they pop up in WallyMart for their regular $1100 or so price......

That makes the $1,050 I paid at a relative up-scale retailer sound not-so-bad. (Maybe that price included a booger factor.)

Sounds like the concensus is to send it in to Colt -- I'll have to weight whether it's worth the hassle.

I'm steering away from attempting a refinish though. Either (1) petition the maker, (2) leave it and lump it, or (3) sell.

sr71plane
06-11-13, 16:58
I do not know if I would buy an AR right now without holding it and checking it, no matter the make. Over the past 6 months all the companies have been rushing them out their doors as fast as possible. If there ever was a time to see some problems, not just in finnish......but in overall quality control it would be in guns that have been hitting the shelves over the past couple of months or so. When humans get in a hurry, they make mistakes.

williejc
06-12-13, 00:59
This blemish is 3D. Call Colt and talk to somebody--if you send it back, make it to this person's attention if possible. If uncorrected and you try to sell it later, nobody will believe this is factory.