PDA

View Full Version : Deleted

davidjinks
06-07-13, 08:17
Deleted

Littlelebowski
06-07-13, 08:29
That is decidedly funky..... Looking forward to learning more about this.

markm
06-07-13, 08:30
You get that swirl mark very rarely on rifle. Our Riflesmith sees that on the first round fired out of some of the Krieger Barrels he chambers.

Kenneth
06-07-13, 08:56
I used some lee bore butter or something like that to clean the barrel on my shadow and it does this. I have a few pictures but it looks exactly the same as yours. I was shooting reloads with N320. It definitely was a shock the first time I saw it lol.

ICANHITHIMMAN
06-07-13, 09:05
I thought those cases were made from aluminium? I have never seen this but, I have read about it before, it just escapes me right now as to the cause. Thoughts in my head include, chemical reaction from aluminium case and powder, excess heat due to weaker structural and heat retaining ability's of aluminium.

For what its worth I know that blaser ammo cost less, but some advice I was given when I bought my first hand gun was never to buy it, the reason I was given at the time was the aluminum makes your barrel get to hot, I don't really believe this but its what I remember.

markm
06-07-13, 09:07
I thought those cases were made from aluminium?

BLAZER is... BLAZER BRASS is economy brass cased practics ammo.

davidjinks
06-07-13, 09:36
Deleted

davidjinks
06-07-13, 09:37
Deleted

ICANHITHIMMAN
06-07-13, 09:40
BLAZER is... BLAZER BRASS is economy brass cased practics ammo.

Oh I have never seen anything but their aluminum stuff.

markm
06-07-13, 09:42
In regards to "rarely", I'd say that 90% of the Hornady TAP that I shot did this.

Interesting.

Kenneth
06-07-13, 09:49
After seeing this occurrence at a class I did some research. Nothing is concrete as to why it happens but a general consensus seems to be; crappy bullets and high velocity.

I'm not sure of the correlation in regards to pistol ammo though.

I was shooting montana gold 124gr.

davidjinks
06-07-13, 10:00
Deleted

davidjinks
06-07-13, 10:03
I don't know if I have pictures of my targets from the F2S class I took. Chris might but I'm not sure.

In regards to the rifle ammo, when I would shoot the guys that were watching said it looked like a tracer only with grey smoke.

I couldn't tell if the pistol ammo was doing that because of the fireball I was getting. Comparable to a 10.5" SBR with a comp on it.

Interesting.

Detmongo
06-07-13, 10:11
looks to me like the bullet is coming apart. we had the same thing happen with some .223 duty ammo a few years ago, turned out the jackets on the bullets were to thin, thus they were coming apart in flight. i would contact CCI/SPEER if you have any of the ammo left.

davidjinks
06-07-13, 10:16
Deleted

Detmongo
06-07-13, 10:58
Dave,
i would also send them the photos of the targets, that could help them maybe.

davidjinks
06-07-13, 14:46
Deleted

hwaya
06-07-13, 15:41
I've shot 9mm that has done that also with my CZ75 Shadow. I think it was Independence labelled 115gr 9mm, which I believe is the same as Blazer (correct me if I'm wrong). I just never thought it was a bad thing...

I think I still have some ammo from that case, I'll check out the stamp when I get home tonight.

dash1
06-07-13, 16:10
Blazer Brass didn't work very well in my 1911, it caused numerous stoppages. I didn't have any issues with the 2000 plus aluminum Blazer rounds I fired.

I haven't shot any Blazer ammunition in more than 5 years, but from what I remember, they left residue everywhere, I recall my forearms covered in what looked like ash.

davidjinks
06-07-13, 16:21
Deleted

CC556
06-07-13, 17:33
looks to me like the bullet is coming apart. we had the same thing happen with some .223 duty ammo a few years ago, turned out the jackets on the bullets were to thin, thus they were coming apart in flight. i would contact CCI/SPEER if you have any of the ammo left.

That's exactly what this is. The lead at the base of the bullet is coming apart as the bullet flies in this case. You see this very commonly with guys who shoot cast bullets and push them real hard, and you'll also see it with rifle ammo where the jackets are failing.

T2C
06-07-13, 17:50
I haven't seen this before. Please keep us posted on what CCI tells you and how the issue was ultimately resolved.

davidjinks
06-07-13, 18:00
Deleted

davidjinks
06-07-13, 18:02
Deleted

Dobie
06-07-13, 20:11
I have shot alot of Blazer both brass & aluminum and never had this result. Ammo is being cranked out at high levels maybe QC is down. I have seen 22LR do this in a heavily fouled barrel. The bore had chunks of lead in it and bullet would come apart in the barrel and gray smoke and shotgun patterns. No more lead 22 through my 15-22.

davidjinks
06-11-13, 13:21
A copy/paste of the email response:

David, there is nothing wrong with this ammunition, it is Blazer brass ammunition and is built with a thin plated bullet. The riflings cut through the jacket of the bullet leaving skiving material that exits the barrel with the bullet and the powder. The grey swirls are the vapor off of the bullet as it enters the target. This is why we have the warning on the back of the box not to shoot out of ported of compensated barrels and not for law enforcement use.

markm
06-11-13, 13:25
Interesting. Makes sense I guess.

davidjinks
06-11-13, 13:52
Deleted

fido4x
06-13-13, 21:33
I have shot Blazer brass and aluminum 45ACP through a FNP-45 without any issues. I find it accurate enough for my needs when practicing. I have put tons of 22LR through several handguns including Ruger 22/45 Lite without issues. Yeah, it has a lead nose so it is a bit dirtier but I generally clean after each use. I will continue to purchase them when available.

stitch1870
06-13-13, 21:54
A copy/paste of the email response:

David, there is nothing wrong with this ammunition, it is Blazer brass ammunition and is built with a thin plated bullet. The riflings cut through the jacket of the bullet leaving skiving material that exits the barrel with the bullet and the powder. The grey swirls are the vapor off of the bullet as it enters the target. This is why we have the warning on the back of the box not to shoot out of ported of compensated barrels and not for law enforcement use.

Odd, I've shot plenty of Blazer loads through my G23C without any issues at all. Only thing I've noticed with Blazer is they tend to tumble a bit through my 1911.

Agnostic
06-13-13, 22:39
I've seen this with lead .22lr bullets at close ranges. I shoot a 10/22 that doesn't get cleaned as often as it should.

bfoosh006
06-13-13, 22:40
So they say it is a plated bullet. Hmmm...

"Blazer Brass is loaded with a protected-base FMJ bullet."

From here...http://www.blazer-ammo.com/blazer_brass.aspx

It is my understanding that those swirls are from the jacket tearing / ripping some place on the bullet. I used to think that this happened with "sharp" new rifling... but your Glock barrel blew that out of the water.