PDA

View Full Version : What paint is most durable for front sight?

Pork Chop
06-07-13, 08:45
I lost the white dot from my M&P 9 front sight at a 3 gun match last weekend and rather than replacing it, I'm going to paint it something like bright orange or lime green, etc. Can someone point me toward a specific type of paint that'll be durable and resist oils/solvents well?

Thanks

Ryno12
06-07-13, 08:55
Midway has some sight paint however, I haven't tried it. I did use some of that 20/20 glow paint on a pocket pistol & it was durable for my needs but I obviously wasn't doing 3 gun with it.

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSearchQuery=sight+paint

I just noticed the reviews weren't the greatest for some of those paints so beware. Good luck on your search Bud.

Sent via Tapatalk

Pork Chop
06-07-13, 09:24
Midway has some sight paint however, I haven't tried it. I did use some of that 20/20 glow paint on a pocket pistol & it was durable for my needs but I obviously wasn't doing 3 gun with it.

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSearchQuery=sight+paint

I just noticed the reviews weren't the greatest for some of those paints so beware. Good luck on your search Bud.

Sent via Tapatalk

Thanks man. :)

I was hoping to hear of some easy, locally accessible wonder paint at True Value.........for like $2. Ha! You know how the story goes.......

Hootiewho
06-07-13, 09:27
Krylon makes a few different colors of neon colored paint markers called BRIGHTS. They are sold in Hobby Lobby, usually back in the paint section in the wood working area. I have used the orange paint marker to mark a couple of my P30's front sights, my SIG 551 sight & my Benelli M4. Said guns, especially the pistols see daily CCW and LE Duty use as well as training (both teaching & attending classes) and competition. The paint has been on there several years of use in all sorts of weather. I have yet to have to touch anything up. I usually dab a puddle onto wax paper & use a fine brush to paint the sight. The markers are <$5 and are 10x's better than a "pro sight painting kit" I have tried before.

Pork Chop
06-07-13, 09:32
Krylon makes a few different colors of neon colored paint markers called BRIGHTS. They are sold in Hobby Lobby, usually back in the paint section in the wood working area. I have used the orange paint marker to mark a couple of my P30's front sights, my SIG 551 sight & my Benelli M4. Said guns, especially the pistols see daily CCW and LE Duty use as well as training (both teaching & attending classes) and competition. The paint has been on there several years of use in all sorts of weather. I have yet to have to touch anything up. I usually dab a puddle onto wax paper & use a fine brush to paint the sight. The markers are <$5 and are 10x's better than a "pro sight painting kit" I have tried before.

BINGO! Exactly the type of solution and experience I had hoped for.

Thank you so very much, my good Sir!

Ryno12
06-07-13, 09:39
BINGO! Exactly the type of solution and experience I had hoped for.

I didn't realize you were looking for such an easy solution. :D

Sent via Tapatalk

Pork Chop
06-07-13, 09:45
I didn't realize you were looking for such an easy solution. :D

Sent via Tapatalk

It's all good, buddy. I really hadn't pursued it too far, I have just found that these types of simple solutions sometimes work best. My first thought was to raid my wife/daughters craft paint, but I figured it wouldn't hold up.

I appreciate your help and the link, nonetheless. :)

RD62
06-07-13, 11:49

I used the same paint pens and while I have not had it on my pistol sights as long as Hootie, my experience thus far has been similar.

5POINT56
06-07-13, 12:10
This thread answered a question I was just about to ask. Thank you.

yellow50
06-07-13, 12:40
One other thing to consider. Some fishing/ sporting goods (Walmart?) stores sell a bright glow in the dark fishing lure paint. I hear it is pretty good for painting the sight.

Defaultmp3
06-07-13, 13:35
You could also try nail polish. Comes in plenty of bright colors and/or clearcoat, and is damn tough. Painted my front sight with a toothpick.

Wildcat
06-07-13, 14:45
One other thing to consider. Some fishing/ sporting goods (Walmart?) stores sell a bright glow in the dark fishing lure paint. I hear it is pretty good for painting the sight.

Jig & Lure Paint (http://csipaint.com/products/liquid-coatings/vinyl-paint-lure-jig-finish.php) from CS Coatings works really well and is available in several colors. If you want to do a bright -color- also get some white to use as an undercoat.

detacbob
06-07-13, 16:05
I still use good old nail polish on front sights.

Mac5.56
06-08-13, 00:34
I bought a small bottle of orange Testors Enamel. It's lasted two years on my lever 30.30 through two NE hunting seasons and range time.

Not a bad paint if you can't find anything else.

gsxr-fan
06-09-13, 18:59
My local hobby shop had a sale on fine point, oil based, Sharpie paint pens for $1 each; got Lime Green and Orange. For me, the orange paint on the front sight is easier to see/acquire than the green. No issues with either paint during the last couple of IDPA matches.

IMO, the Sharpie paint pens are hard to beat.

Pork Chop
06-09-13, 19:59
Update:
I used Hootiewho's idea and picked up the Krylon bright pen in orange. It worked really well and was really easy to work with utilizing a toothpick and a Q-tip with rubbing alcohol for cleaning.
Results:
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/10/ga4utemy.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/10/ejutu8e2.jpg

Thanks fellas!