PDA

View Full Version : Questions for current and former LEO's

WickedWillis
06-07-13, 10:43
I am looking at finally pursuing my life-long dream of becoming a law enforcement officer. I have been very cautious and responsible with my personal records, and driving records because of this. Both are perfect. I am also starting to work out and lose some extra weight that I have to be in tip-top shape for the academy or whatever training I may go through. I have looked at the PT requirements for my local departments and they seem like a good starting point for my personal PT. Now, What other things going into training/the academy should I prepare for? What am I missing so far? Also, I am in the process of getting my debt square before applying. I got hit with a Layoff, and medical and credit card issues when I was younger and less responsible and I am aware these are things that are looked at. Any tips, or any kind of help from you guys would be much appreciated. It may sound cliche but I want to be the best Officer I can be. Thanks in advance!

WickedWillis
06-07-13, 13:26
This was exactly what I was looking for! Thank you so much for your time, I will take to heart and use everything you just mentioned. I currently work in sales and customer service for a Welding supply company and have had several sales related jobs. Dealing with the public and talking to people regardless of age, race, creed has always been extremely easy for me. I do not drink, and I plan to be single through the academy or training so I can be completely focused on my career. Thank you again sir!

While not directly hiring related here are a few things that cause some people stress in their basic academy:

-physical training especially running; find out what is required and be able to significantly exceed it going into the academy; you'll be a lot less stressed if you can easily complete your daily PT and PT tests versus being smoked after every run

-get some good solid pistol training encompassing gun handling and marksmanship; if you can shoot high bullseye scores at 25 yards you'll never stress about range day or qualifications; a former coworkers son, a good kid, almost got thrown out of the academy for not being able to qualify; three of our deputies were in that same blather was the only one of the three who sought out help and he was the only one with a job at the end

-learn to talk to people in a friendly, calm, professional manner; that's just a general life skill but it will carry you far in LE

-avoid or rid yourself of personal drama and don't drink heavily; women and alcohol are top career destroyers

-do these things and then shut up about it; you may be able to out run and out shoot everyone in the state but keep that to yourself; if you are on the range and get some known bad instruction suck it up and say yes sir; impress folks through performance not through bragging

Good luck and remember you are a part of your community. You have to go sleep in that community every night and your kids will go to school in the community. Be friends with cops but also be friends with your community.

markm
06-07-13, 13:34
How far behind you are your credit woes? They generally drop off your history in 5-7 years don't they?

WickedWillis
06-07-13, 13:36
It has been in the last 5 years, I need to get them squared away for me personally more than anything. I think with medical and my CC issues I am under 5K.

sboza
06-07-13, 15:58
I posted the following in another thread (edited slightly). Hopefully it is useful for you. It is somewhat unorganized but represents my general observations while I attended my academy. I am staying within my lane and just giving the academy side, my certification is being held while I get some things sorted out so it'll be a few months before I'm on the job (barring any unforeseen events).

I'll add that you're right to get your debt sorted out. I buddy of mine is a bi with another agency and he told me that bad credit requires further investigation. I have a buddy who just got on and he had bad credit from past bad decisions but he has been managing his finances well for the last few years so I guess that worked in his favor.

Fitness. Like Mr. Pennington said, find out your academy's standards and exceed them. Ideally find out what the graduation standards are rather than entrance standards (my academy didn't have entry standards which was unfortunate) and surpass them. You don't have to train in just those activities that you are required to perform (other than running, you have to run!) so incorporate some other tools: trx, p90x, ropes, swimming, insanity, kettle bells, some weight training (should not be your primary focus). Get into a habit of doing push-ups, sit-ups, and pull-ups every day (break once or twice a week). Incorporate activities you enjoy such as hiking, biking, climbing, etc... You won't have time to enjoy these activities during the academy. Focus on functional training.

A pistol class may be wise as Mr. Pennington suggested if your finances allow. Just don't get an ego about things. Telling academy staff "but so and so told me that this is the right way to rack the slide!" is a loser. Do as you're told unless your instructors give you room to do things your way.

----------------

The go or no go from academy staff weighs a lot in my area even if you graduate (our academy was tough and had a 70% attrition rate). A lot of the recruits were a mess and maybe that's a generational thing but I consider that unacceptable. Hopefully these suggestions will help you out.

1) Mindset. Contact sports when I was younger and the nature of my former work have cultivated my mindset to allow me push my self to breaking point and beyond sometimes. PT or defensive tactics or whatever with an ankle sprain, knee injury, etc... Suck it up and do it, your body is stronger than your mind. Unless a doctor tells you that you are going to create a permanent long term injury by pushing through or the injury is severe enough to cause actual immobility, you can fight through.

2) Be in shape. There is no excuse to show up out of shape n day one. If you don't know what to do, go talk to academy staff. The key is functional fitness. We train to failure. There is no speed walking/slow jogging on a treadmill while reading the latest romance novel (or whatever the hell those people read).

3) Let your family know that you may be a ghost for the next X amount of time. Get that cleared BEFORE beginning this. This is especially true for folks with kid. There is enough stress to begin with, family stress will push people over the edge.

For me personally, I only had my fiance to worry about and she was on the same page so it made my life easier. I DECIDED to be a 90% test taker. That doesn't mean I gave less than 100% for anything else. I choose this because with my ability level, I quickly realized that I could do a quick review of 30 - 60 minutes prior to our many, many, many section tests and score about a 90 average. To do consistently better, I would need to review all the material with a fine tooth comb and take several hours. I decided to begin balancing my family life now, rather than waiting until I was on the job. This worked for me and while I struggled a few times (things come up in life that you have to handle), the overall strategy was win. My relationship did not suffer while a lot of others' did. And I actually ended up with the highest score of my graduating class. Not saying this will work for you as everyone is different but try to find balance where you can.

4) Study diligently. I can't begin to tell you how many folks racked up test fails for taking it easy every now and then. Eventually these folks put themselves in a high stress position in which they couldn't fail any more tests. Only one of these people graduated my class (his issue was balancing time with his son).

5) Have money saved. Financial issues plagued a couple of our guys. Plan ahead, you do not need this stress in addition to everything else going on.

6) Stay out of trouble. No parties, no or very limited drinking, no road rage, no speeding, etc... This is not a joke, we lost people due to these or a combination of these reasons. Your chosen career requires a higher level of maturity, now is the time to make the changes.

7) Keep your damned mouth shut. This is not the time to show everyone how clever you are or how cool you were in high school and all the crazy things/drugs you did. This goes hand in hand with #8.

8) Treat every day as a job interview. Because that is exactly what this is.

9) Check you ego at the door. A lot of conflict will go away if you look upon your fellow recruit as no better or worse than you regardless of individual backgrounds. The instructor cadre are God until you graduate. You may not agree with everything they teach but stick with #7 and do what you are told ... and do it to the best of your ability.

10) Life's not fair. If ever in doubt whether to speak up when you feel wronged, see #7. No one gives a crap that your feeling were hurt, move past it.

Be honest in your AAR/course eval if necessary or make an appointment with the member of the training cadre you report to if you feel that wronged. But usually, the solution is to put it out of your mind and move on.

11) Maintain your integrity. Enough said.

This is just a quick, highly unorganized list. Maybe when I have a bit more time I will do a more through write-up. As I said, this is based on only my observations as a recruit.

C-grunt
06-07-13, 16:06
Study hard. It's the academic stuff that gets people booted from the academy more than the physical/shooting.

A really really important thing is to make sure you keep friends who are not cops. You will make life long friends with people on your department but make sure you have friends to keep you grounded to the real world. Officers who have mostly cop friends tend to become very jaded and many times get the "us vs them" attitude. Pretty much all you deal with at work is the lowest shit of society and its easy to forget that the rest of society isn't like that.

WickedWillis
06-07-13, 16:11
Thank you for your input. I am a very respectful and thoughtful individual. Listening and respecting others and maintaining integrity should be easy for me. I am also pretty humble, so no ego to work on in my case. Interesting to hear about your academy experience. Where was your academy at?

I posted the following in another thread (edited slightly). Hopefully it is useful for you. It is somewhat unorganized but represents my general observations while I attended my academy. I am staying within my lane and just giving the academy side, my certification is being held while I get some things sorted out so it'll be a few months before I'm on the job (barring any unforeseen events).

I'll add that you're right to get your debt sorted out. I buddy of mine is a bi with another agency and he told me that bad credit requires further investigation. I have a buddy who just got on and he had bad credit from past bad decisions but he has been managing his finances well for the last few years so I guess that worked in his favor.

Fitness. Like Mr. Pennington said, find out your academy's standards and exceed them. Ideally find out what the graduation standards are rather than entrance standards (my academy didn't have entry standards which was unfortunate) and surpass them. You don't have to train in just those activities that you are required to perform (other than running, you have to run!) so incorporate some other tools: trx, p90x, ropes, swimming, insanity, kettle bells, some weight training (should not be your primary focus). Get into a habit of doing push-ups, sit-ups, and pull-ups every day (break once or twice a week). Incorporate activities you enjoy such as hiking, biking, climbing, etc... You won't have time to enjoy these activities during the academy. Focus on functional training.

A pistol class may be wise as Mr. Pennington suggested if your finances allow. Just don't get an ego about things. Telling academy staff "but so and so told me that this is the right way to rack the slide!" is a loser. Do as you're told unless your instructors give you room to do things your way.

----------------

The go or no go from academy staff weighs a lot in my area even if you graduate (our academy was tough and had a 70% attrition rate). A lot of the recruits were a mess and maybe that's a generational thing but I consider that unacceptable. Hopefully these suggestions will help you out.

1) Mindset. Contact sports when I was younger and the nature of my former work have cultivated my mindset to allow me push my self to breaking point and beyond sometimes. PT or defensive tactics or whatever with an ankle sprain, knee injury, etc... Suck it up and do it, your body is stronger than your mind. Unless a doctor tells you that you are going to create a permanent long term injury by pushing through or the injury is severe enough to cause actual immobility, you can fight through.

2) Be in shape. There is no excuse to show up out of shape n day one. If you don't know what to do, go talk to academy staff. The key is functional fitness. We train to failure. There is no speed walking/slow jogging on a treadmill while reading the latest romance novel (or whatever the hell those people read).

3) Let your family know that you may be a ghost for the next X amount of time. Get that cleared BEFORE beginning this. This is especially true for folks with kid. There is enough stress to begin with, family stress will push people over the edge.

For me personally, I only had my fiance to worry about and she was on the same page so it made my life easier. I DECIDED to be a 90% test taker. That doesn't mean I gave less than 100% for anything else. I choose this because with my ability level, I quickly realized that I could do a quick review of 30 - 60 minutes prior to our many, many, many section tests and score about a 90 average. To do consistently better, I would need to review all the material with a fine tooth comb and take several hours. I decided to begin balancing my family life now, rather than waiting until I was on the job. This worked for me and while I struggled a few times (things come up in life that you have to handle), the overall strategy was win. My relationship did not suffer while a lot of others' did. And I actually ended up with the highest score of my graduating class. Not saying this will work for you as everyone is different but try to find balance where you can.

4) Study diligently. I can't begin to tell you how many folks racked up test fails for taking it easy every now and then. Eventually these folks put themselves in a high stress position in which they couldn't fail any more tests. Only one of these people graduated my class (his issue was balancing time with his son).

5) Have money saved. Financial issues plagued a couple of our guys. Plan ahead, you do not need this stress in addition to everything else going on.

6) Stay out of trouble. No parties, no or very limited drinking, no road rage, no speeding, etc... This is not a joke, we lost people due to these or a combination of these reasons. Your chosen career requires a higher level of maturity, now is the time to make the changes.

7) Keep your damned mouth shut. This is not the time to show everyone how clever you are or how cool you were in high school and all the crazy things/drugs you did. This goes hand in hand with #8.

8) Treat every day as a job interview. Because that is exactly what this is.

9) Check you ego at the door. A lot of conflict will go away if you look upon your fellow recruit as no better or worse than you regardless of individual backgrounds. The instructor cadre are God until you graduate. You may not agree with everything they teach but stick with #7 and do what you are told ... and do it to the best of your ability.

10) Life's not fair. If ever in doubt whether to speak up when you feel wronged, see #7. No one gives a crap that your feeling were hurt, move past it.

Be honest in your AAR/course eval if necessary or make an appointment with the member of the training cadre you report to if you feel that wronged. But usually, the solution is to put it out of your mind and move on.

11) Maintain your integrity. Enough said.

This is just a quick, highly unorganized list. Maybe when I have a bit more time I will do a more through write-up. As I said, this is based on only my observations as a recruit.

WickedWillis
06-07-13, 16:13
Are there any study books you recommend before the academy to read through?

Study hard. It's the academic stuff that gets people booted from the academy more than the physical/shooting.

A really really important thing is to make sure you keep friends who are not cops. You will make life long friends with people on your department but make sure you have friends to keep you grounded to the real world. Officers who have mostly cop friends tend to become very jaded and many times get the "us vs them" attitude. Pretty much all you deal with at work is the lowest shit of society and its easy to forget that the rest of society isn't like that.

SkiDevil
06-07-13, 16:24
Are there any study books you recommend before the academy to read through?

http://www.press.uchicago.edu/books/turabian/manual/index.html

If you cannot write well and are not versed in the proper use of grammar and punctuation, then find a local community college and take some English courses.

They will not teach you how to write in the Academy.

Locate some texts on taking civil service exams. The local library will likely have a few. It will give you a better idea what to expect.

p.s. Many who are unsuccessful in completing a Law Enforcement academy fail because of poor academic performance, or failing to meet physical training criteria/ tests.

sboza
06-07-13, 17:08
Thank you for your input. I am a very respectful and thoughtful individual. Listening and respecting others and maintaining integrity should be easy for me. I am also pretty humble, so no ego to work on in my case. Interesting to hear about your academy experience. Where was your academy at?

NC, pm if you want any more details regarding location.

J-Dub
06-07-13, 17:30
Do you're self a huge favor and become a Fire Fighter, or join the military. Then you'll be on the righteous side of things......

T2C
06-07-13, 17:44
While not directly hiring related here are a few things that cause some people stress in their basic academy:

-physical training especially running; find out what is required and be able to significantly exceed it going into the academy; you'll be a lot less stressed if you can easily complete your daily PT and PT tests versus being smoked after every run

-get some good solid pistol training encompassing gun handling and marksmanship; if you can shoot high bullseye scores at 25 yards you'll never stress about range day or qualifications; a former coworkers son, a good kid, almost got thrown out of the academy for not being able to qualify; three of our deputies were in that same blather was the only one of the three who sought out help and he was the only one with a job at the end

-learn to talk to people in a friendly, calm, professional manner; that's just a general life skill but it will carry you far in LE

-avoid or rid yourself of personal drama and don't drink heavily; women and alcohol are top career destroyers

-do these things and then shut up about it; you may be able to out run and out shoot everyone in the state but keep that to yourself; if you are on the range and get some known bad instruction suck it up and say yes sir; impress folks through performance not through bragging

Good luck and remember you are a part of your community. You have to go sleep in that community every night and your kids will go to school in the community. Be friends with cops but also be friends with your community.

This is great advice. In addition to the above advice I would add that you should start writing down the names and addresses of every employer you ever worked for, every address where you lived, every traffic citation ever issued to you and the dispositions and contact information for at least 6 references. Start and stop dates of employment, names of supervisors, neighbors names and dates and locations of the traffic citations will help as well. If you start now and organize the information, you will be better prepared for the background investigation. With any luck the Investigator conducting the background investigation will document your organizational skills. If you apply at more than one agency, you will have the information you need in one neat little package and it will make completing background information forms a whole lot easier for you.

C-grunt
06-07-13, 18:04
Good advise about the background stuff.

Another thing is do t get discouraged when trying to get on. Most officers don't get on with the first department they apply for. Just because you don't get on with one does t mean you won't get on with another. Getting your certification is the hard part and you can switch departments fairly easy later on of you have your heart set on a certain one.

WickedWillis
06-07-13, 18:08
I have not had a traffic violation for over seven years, will that still be on my record?

This is great advice. In addition to the above advice I would add that you should start writing down the names and addresses of every employer you ever worked for, every address where you lived, every traffic citation ever issued to you and the dispositions and contact information for at least 6 references. Start and stop dates of employment, names of supervisors, neighbors names and dates and locations of the traffic citations will help as well. If you start now and organize the information, you will be better prepared for the background investigation. With any luck the Investigator conducting the background investigation will document your organizational skills. If you apply at more than one agency, you will have the information you need in one neat little package and it will make completing background information forms a whole lot easier for you.

Grand58742
06-07-13, 18:34
One thing I hadn't seen posted. While I'm not a civilian LEO, I have 20 years as a military cop so I can speak with a little experience behind me.

Learn to be calm even when those around you are losing theirs. During your practical times (or whatever they are called where you go into scenario training) you will probably see some things you haven't seen before. Don't freak out if you don't know what to do. Fall into your training, improvise and adapt. Chances are it's something you've been trained for, just not the way you happen to see it right then.

WickedWillis
06-07-13, 18:37
Great point, thank you for your advice and your service.

One thing I hadn't seen posted. While I'm not a civilian LEO, I have 20 years as a military cop so I can speak with a little experience behind me.

Learn to be calm even when those around you are losing theirs. During your practical times (or whatever they are called where you go into scenario training) you will probably see some things you haven't seen before. Don't freak out if you don't know what to do. Fall into your training, improvise and adapt. Chances are it's something you've been trained for, just not the way you happen to see it right then.

MAP
06-07-13, 19:15

I worked 27 years in LE and retired as Chief. This advise is spot on. Good luck.

Dave, very well said.

Mike

David Pennington
06-07-13, 19:34
Just a few more: develop a thick skin, don't take things personally, don't hold grudges too long (it'll eat you up), and put your eventual family before your job.

Mike,
Long time no see. If CO gets too bad your are welcome in VA. the range is much nicer than the last time you were here.

Voodoochild
06-07-13, 19:42
Don't do it. Didn't you get the memo floating around here???

All cops are evil. All we do is sit around and dream up ways to infringe upon people's rights. We lie, cheat, steal, and beat innocent people's brains in for no apparent reason.

Basically we're the devil.

Do you're self a huge favor and become a Fire Fighter, or join the military. Then you'll be on the righteous side of things......

J-Dub please check yourself and your attitude. This board is far from being anti LEO. If that is what you are looking for I fell barfcom will suit you well.

J-Dub
06-07-13, 20:26
J-Dub please check yourself and your attitude. This board is far from being anti LEO. If that is what you are looking for I fell barfcom will suit you well.

My mistake...Sorry about that.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=132519

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=132326

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=132084

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=132550

Voodoochild
06-07-13, 21:19
My mistake...Sorry about that.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=132519

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=132326

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=132084

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=132550

Yes there are threads discussing issues regarding new laws and cases involving LEO's. However this board is extremely LEO friendly. Again if you want anti-LEO go look in barfcom GD. I promise you you will get a very different perspective of this board.

As a matter of fact I challenge you to do just as I suggested then come back and give us all your thoughts.

Irish
06-07-13, 21:20

Two of my best buds are coppers and they've told me the exact same thing.

Good luck in your future career!

T2C
06-07-13, 22:34
I have not had a traffic violation for over seven years, will that still be on my record?

I would write everything down on my notes and have it ready should the Investigator ask about anything further back than seven years. If you are not asked about anythiing seven years back, then you don't need to mention it.

When I conducted background investigations we asked about everything back to the applicant's 18th birthday.

Alaskapopo
06-07-13, 23:30

The gun training is not that critical as they will be giving it to you in the academy. Best thing is to keep your nose clean, study hard, get in shape. I have always been overweight most of my life but I knew what the standards for the PT tests were and I made sure I could pass them before going. Get out there and run, do push ups sit ups etc.
Pat

Alaskapopo
06-07-13, 23:32
Good advise about the background stuff.

Another thing is do t get discouraged when trying to get on. Most officers don't get on with the first department they apply for. Just because you don't get on with one does t mean you won't get on with another. Getting your certification is the hard part and you can switch departments fairly easy later on of you have your heart set on a certain one.

Excellent advice. Your first job is the hardest after that its much easier. I took a job in the arm pit of Alaska to get my certificaiton and it was hell but I learned a lot as it was a busy department. You have to be willing to go where the jobs are not be stuck on a certain location.
Pat

rathos
06-08-13, 01:34
Keep a copy of your application and background info. Sometimes it takes a few times of applying and background investigators don't like it when things don't match up. As others have said put EVERYTHING on your background no matter how big or small.

If there is a department that offers a reserve program try out for it. Even if you are applying for full time as well. Over the last few years I have seen a lot of full timers and reserves wash out. The full timers sometimes have a hard time getting their old jobs back, especially in this economy whereas the reserves don't have to worry about that. Also it looks really good that you like the job so much you are willing to do it for little or no pay. We have also had a lot of reserves go on to successful careers in LE with not only our department but the local city departments as well. I wish you all the luck in the world and remember, this is one of the hardest jobs to get and one of the easiest jobs to lose.

T2C
06-08-13, 13:04
The gun training is not that critical as they will be giving it to you in the academy. Best thing is to keep your nose clean, study hard, get in shape. I have always been overweight most of my life but I knew what the standards for the PT tests were and I made sure I could pass them before going. Get out there and run, do push ups sit ups etc.
Pat

I disagree. I have instructed more than my share of people with zero firearms experience in an Academy environment and it caused them extra stress, because of the steep learning curve. If they failed, they were fired.

Personnel with solid basic skills and no bad habits excelled at the training, because they were not behind the curve. I highly recommend getting GOOD basic firearm instruction from someone who understands the LEO firearms training requirements in your part of the country. Don't take a "How to win at IPSC" or SWAT Operator course, focus on the basics. Practice the basics that you learn and build on them in the Academy environment.

There is enough stress in the Academy environment when you are in good physical condition and have good basic firearm skills. Attending a LEO Academy in poor physical condition and/or with zero firearm skills will make Academy life miserable and won't permit you to get the maximum benefit of your training.

Alaskapopo
06-08-13, 15:14
I disagree. I have instructed more than my share of people with zero firearms experience in an Academy environment and it caused them extra stress, because of the steep learning curve. If they failed, they were fired.

Personnel with solid basic skills and no bad habits excelled at the training, because they were not behind the curve. I highly recommend getting GOOD basic firearm instruction from someone who understands the LEO firearms training requirements in your part of the country. Don't take a "How to win at IPSC" or SWAT Operator course, focus on the basics. Practice the basics that you learn and build on them in the Academy environment.

There is enough stress in the Academy environment when you are in good physical condition and have good basic firearm skills. Attending a LEO Academy in poor physical condition and/or with zero firearm skills will make Academy life miserable and won't permit you to get the maximum benefit of your training.

Sorry was thinking of someone having a basic sound ability in firearms. In my class back in 99 about 10 people out of the 40 or so struggled with firearms.
Pat

J-Dub
06-09-13, 22:25
Yes there are threads discussing issues regarding new laws and cases involving LEO's. However this board is extremely LEO friendly. Again if you want anti-LEO go look in barfcom GD. I promise you you will get a very different perspective of this board.

As a matter of fact I challenge you to do just as I suggested then come back and give us all your thoughts.

No can do on that one. I got banned for speaking my mind concerning the ridiculousness of "Crossfit" and its overall design as a workout program.

Apparently their mods are quite religious in their allegiance to crossfit....who knew?

Plus their GD is nothing but dipshits taking pictures of meals with guns and knives....strange.

trinydex
06-10-13, 14:26
I am looking at finally pursuing my life-long dream of becoming a law enforcement officer. I have been very cautious and responsible with my personal records, and driving records because of this. Both are perfect. I am also starting to work out and lose some extra weight that I have to be in tip-top shape for the academy or whatever training I may go through. I have looked at the PT requirements for my local departments and they seem like a good starting point for my personal PT. Now, What other things going into training/the academy should I prepare for? What am I missing so far? Also, I am in the process of getting my debt square before applying. I got hit with a Layoff, and medical and credit card issues when I was younger and less responsible and I am aware these are things that are looked at. Any tips, or any kind of help from you guys would be much appreciated. It may sound cliche but I want to be the best Officer I can be. Thanks in advance!

what are the pt requirements?

11B101ABN
06-11-13, 07:01

-do these things and then shut up about it; impress folks through performance not through bragging

Be friends with cops but also be friends with your community.

While I strongly agree with everything he posted, the three I have here are paramount. Especially the first one. Many careers have been killed by ignoring that advice.

The bottom one is gospel, too. My non-LE friends, keep me grounded and help me focus on just being a "regular" guy.