PDA

View Full Version : Powder importing restrictions?

rocsteady
06-07-13, 13:41
Was in the middle of my daily quest to find some powder so I could actually do something with the 5.56 components and brand new press I've purchased when I came across some second-hand info:

Owner of a reloading shop outside of Phila was telling me that containers coming in through the seaports with powder supplies are almost completely filled with only 1 lb jars.

He said that according to ? newly enacted laws are not allowing, or extremely restricting, the importing of larger jars in order to drive prices up. The analogy he made was having to buy ten small bottles of coke instead of one 2 liter: think of buying 2 liters worth from a soda machine at $1.50 each rather than $1 for a whole 2 liter bottle.

Anyone heard anything like this? Are the powders imported for the most part? I was just starting to look to see where the companies (Hodgdon, Alliant, Accurate, Ramshot, IMR, etc) are based.

Sounds like something the current crop of gun-grabbers would conjure up to make life difficult.

And as an aside, is there any light at the end of the tunnel? I'm going nuts sitting on these components and not having a grain of powder (and yes, it's my own fault for not getting into reloading until a month ago). Typical.

shootist~
06-07-13, 20:20
I dunno, I picked up three 4 pounders of VV N320 from the big shipment that came in about 4 or 5 weeks ago. One was already on backorder from Brownells and the other two came from Powder Valley.

You have to hit the major on-line sites on a daily basis and/or put in notice requests with Midway-USA or who ever will give notice.

I'm going to guess the UN Gun treaty may have something with the demand staying way up, but that's just a SWAG.

FloridaWoodsman
06-08-13, 22:39
Can you blame them for going where the biggest profit margin is? That's the capitalist free market system.

markm
06-09-13, 10:55
Complete BS. Brunos had lots of 8 lbs of Varget and H322 recently. The last 4 8 pounders of H322 we bought are dated March of this years.

I think both of those are made in Australia. Shortages always cause whacko conspiracy theories to spawn.

rocsteady
06-09-13, 14:48
Glad to hear that Markm. I finally cracked and bought some TAC at gunbroker.com.