PDA

View Full Version : Lead levels

theblackknight
06-07-13, 15:08
Just got mine back, I'm at 8.

How do you guys keep your levels down?

Where do you handle/tumble/sort brass and all that good stuff.

chaotik
06-07-13, 17:51
The normal level depends on the lab that tested it, which can vary.
I had mine tested a few months ago, and it was also 8ug/dl.
(normal was < 10 ug/dl).

I have no idea what my level was before I started reloading, but I suspect it was lower. I intend to check the level periodically, and hopefully it will not increase.

I tumble all my brass in my garage, and try not to breath the dust as much as possible. Also I wear the hospital latex gloves when dealing with a lot of dirty brass or when tumbling. Occasionally I wear a hospital mask, but I doubt that does much good.

I also use delead soap frequently.

Maineshooter
06-07-13, 21:15
I usually clean my brass first. Google "diy brass cleaner for reloading" or something similar. Dawn dish detergent, water, vinegar and lemon juice all go into a five gallon bucket. I have heard that a citric acid solution works well too. Stir it up and rinse. Use another five gallon bucket with holes drilled the bottom to dump the brass and solution/rinse into. I'm sure there is still plenty of lead left behind, but it seems to make a difference and cuts down on the tumbling time. Using a couple of dryer sheets in the tumbler seems to cut the dust down also. I have kids to so I tumble in the garage also. I usually dump the brass from the tumbler outside to keep contamination down to a minimum.

High Tower
06-07-13, 21:49
Would using an ultrasonic cleaner for brass reduce this issue?

Chance B.
06-07-13, 21:58
About 3 years ago I had my lead levels checked, and they came back 17 ug/dl. At the time I was shooting about once a week for about 2-3 hours at an indoor range. I was pretty alarmed by this because I had only been shooting for a few years at that point.

I did a lot of research online and became convinced that the primary problem was the indoor range that I was shooting at. It lacked a sufficiently strong enough air exchange system, the shooting area was carpeted, a broom was used to clean up spent brass, etc...

When you look at the three primary mechanisms for lead exposure (inhaled, ingested, and absorbed through the skin) inhaled lead is the greatest risk as it is the most efficient form of transmission. As best I can remember (damn lead exposure) I think it's about 90% of inhaled lead makes its way into your bloodstream while only about 10% of ingested lead ends up there.

I made several changes based upon those discoveries. I stopped shooting at that indoor range or any indoor range. I started using D-Lead wipes after shooting to wipe my hands and face. For about year afterward I shot only ammo that had a jacketed base and lead free primers in my pistols. When handling a lot of ammo (e.g. loading mags for classes) or spent brass I put on nitrile gloves. I also made an effort to up my daily consumption of calcium-rich foods.

As of my most recent blood test a couple months ago, my lead levels are down to about 2 ug/dl.

Maineshooter
06-07-13, 22:00
Would using an ultrasonic cleaner for brass reduce this issue?
I think it would almost eliminate the airborne lead. I have been thinking about going that route myself.

Maineshooter
06-07-13, 22:06
About 3 years ago I had my lead levels checked, and they came back 17 ug/dl. At the time I was shooting about once a week for about 2-3 hours at an indoor range. I was pretty alarmed by this because I had only been shooting for a few years at that point.

I did a lot of research online and became convinced that the primary problem was the indoor range that I was shooting at. It lacked a sufficiently strong enough air exchange system, the shooting area was carpeted, a broom was used to clean up spent brass, etc...

When you look at the three primary mechanisms for lead exposure (inhaled, ingested, and absorbed through the skin) inhaled lead is the greatest risk as it is the most efficient form of transmission. As best I can remember (damn lead exposure) I think it's about 90% of inhaled lead makes its way into your bloodstream while only about 10% of ingested lead ends up there.

I made several changes based upon those discoveries. I stopped shooting at that indoor range or any indoor range. I started using D-Lead wipes after shooting to wipe my hands and face. For about year afterward I shot only ammo that had a jacketed base and lead free primers in my pistols. When handling a lot of ammo (e.g. loading mags for classes) or spent brass I put on nitrile gloves. I also made an effort to up my daily consumption of calcium-rich foods.

As of my most recent blood test a couple months ago, my lead levels are down to about 2 ug/dl.

I know some people in this business that have gone to NRA range development schools. In a nutshell - indoor ranges are extremely expensive to start up and maintain mostly due to the filtration and air exchange systems. A properly designed and maintained indoor range should not be an issue. It sounds like the one you mentioned is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

cutter_spc
06-08-13, 13:02
I am an avid hand loader, caster, and of course, a shooter. Have mine checked yearly and it's never been above 2, most of the time it comes back a 1. I suspect your right, I too think your indoor range is the main culprit. I went to one indoor range in my life. It had a modern vent system. I was the only one there that morning and thought I was going to choke to death from the fumes, I could taste the lead in my mouth. I will never shoot in another indoor range.

I cast in doors, but with a vent system. Anytime I empty or fill my tumbler, I do it outside. And I always make sure I don't touch any part of my face with my hands while messing with lead, ammo, reloading tools, shooting, ect...And make sure to wash my hands and face, and change clothes after doing said activities.

Drop the indoor range and keep being mindful while handling lead and lead contaminated objects, and I bet your lead levels come down and stay down.

theblackknight
06-09-13, 00:51
I've been on some kind of range pretty much 4 times a week averaged out for the past 5ish years. Right now I work part time at a FFL/indoor range. I'm always d-wiping and they have a big box of vit-C supps for the employees.

I wash my brass in a washing machine, and use moly coated bullets.

I also have a Talib to sort my brass for me.:D
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/532965_215185011957188_1931687823_n.jpg

markm
06-09-13, 10:52
I use latex gloves to decap. SS media tumbler removes everything else after decap. Wolf SRM are lead free primers. My dry tumble media is much cleaner with the SS tumbler removing all the filth.

Airhasz
06-09-13, 12:32
[QUOTE=theblackknight;1667257]I've been on some kind of range pretty much 4 times a week averaged out for the past 5ish years. Right now I work part time at a FFL/indoor range. I'm always d-wiping and they have a big box of vit-C supps for the employees.

I know a guy who uses his washing machine to wash range brass he sells. I checked out a bag of laundered brass and was surprised how well the WM cleaned it. He must live alone as this process would piss off my little lady. I wonder if this would transfer lead residue to your clothes?

markm
06-10-13, 08:18
I wonder if this would transfer lead residue to your clothes?

I would expect so. :eek:

dgt
06-10-13, 11:39
Using your primary washing machine is a bad idea. Nevermind the lead sticking to the walls of the machine but the water in the bottom of the tub never completely drains. One of my shooting partners uses a washing machine he found on craigslist for $75. Its in his garage. Imo it seems to work very well. Not a bad "wet" option if your collecting large volumes of brass.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Kokopelli
06-10-13, 11:47
I thought vapor from the primer detonation (lead styphnate) was the most dangerous.. Of course it's all dangerous to some degree.. Ron

markm
06-10-13, 11:53
I thought vapor from the primer detonation (lead styphnate) was the most dangerous.. Of course it's all dangerous to some degree.. Ron

Yeah... But lead particles from the primer get misted on EVERYTHING when you're shooting... your brass, your gun, your hands, etc.

Kokopelli
06-10-13, 12:22
Yeah... But lead particles from the primer get misted on EVERYTHING when you're shooting... your brass, your gun, your hands, etc.

Exactly.. Right back in yer face. Ron

markm
06-10-13, 12:25
In fact... it's been suggested that, after a shoot, you take a shower with cool water so that your pores don't open up and allow any heavy metals into your skin.

m1a_scoutguy
06-10-13, 13:30
In fact... it's been suggested that, after a shoot, you take a shower with cool water so that your pores don't open up and allow any heavy metals into your skin.

Hmmm,,not a bad ideal if ya live where its 120 degrees in the shade,;),cold shower would be great !!! :D But,,ani't happening here,,LOL !!!

markm
06-10-13, 13:41
I guess just not a steaming hot shower would be the idea.

eightmillimeter
06-10-13, 21:30

I have to ask since I actually have a working washing machine I am not using. What is the right recipe for using a washing machine to do this?

theblackknight
06-10-13, 21:49
Some people do more, but I just tripple bag the brass in cheap pillow cases and use a 1/3 of a bottle of great value brand vinager. I spent about 4$ to clean 10k 9mm brass.

I also dont use my washing machine.

Airhasz
06-11-13, 04:55
I have to ask since I actually have a working washing machine I am not using. What is the right recipe for using a washing machine to do this?

Just start with inexpensive laundry soap and check the results, you will probably like the results...

Hydguy
06-11-13, 07:10
Having worked at an indoor range, the two times my lead levels were checked, they were over 40 both times.

You get 95% of your exposure levels from airborne lead vapor in the shooting sports.

I don't shoot or reload any non-jacketed ammo (.22lr is the obvious exception).
Wash up with cool water and soap after shooting.

If you shoot at an indoor range a lot, a few other things you might want to do:
Have a dedicated pair of shoes/boots for shooting. Lead will adhere to them.
If you have a place to do it, change clothes prior to leaving the range.
If not, change clothes in your garage, or a private porch if that is an option.
Vacuum you vehicle on a regular basis...

Vitamin C doesn't really do much for you, nor does drinking milk..
You don't want to have to under go chelation, so take the matter seriously.

Sparky5019
06-11-13, 08:11
I have to admit, from my experience, it's the indoor range that spikes the level. I have a good friend who was religiously shooting indoors and his level was through the roof and he underwent chelation to get it back down.

I know numerous people with the same story and even more reloaders...even those who load only lead bullets...with absolutely no problems.

Best practice is to have it checked anyway but if you shoot indoors, have it checked frequently!

Sparky

duece71
06-11-13, 11:04
Interesting thread, thanks for posting. I visit an indoor range every now and then. One of them has a great air removal circulation system, the other one doesn't. I only go to the non ventilated range when I have to, and I stay for only 30 minutes or so. I also started reloading as well. I tumble in the garage and use nitrile gloves during all reloading operatons. I need to get my lead level checked to see where it's at. Thanks for posting.

Airhasz
06-11-13, 18:28
Have any of you with higher than normal lead levels had any symptoms of lead poisoning? Anything felt that others might look out for?

Hydguy
06-11-13, 21:23
Have any of you with higher than normal lead levels had any symptoms of lead poisoning? Anything felt that others might look out for?

In adults, it takes a long time at highly elevated levels to start to show symptoms of lead poisoning. Most common symptoms are psychological changes and neurological problems like the shakes, and balance issues.

My high levels happened relatively quickly, over a period of about 3 years the first time, and after a year away from the range they dropped back down to almost zero.
Went back to work at the range a second time, and the rise happened in the span of about a year and a half, and again took about a year to drop back down.

Both times my lead levels exceeded 40, and neither time did I exhibit any symptoms of lead poisoning or need chelation..

And GotM4 knows where I used to work and can vouch for how bad the lead vapor issue was.

Airhasz
06-12-13, 00:17
In adults, it takes a long time at highly elevated levels to start to show symptoms of lead poisoning. Most common symptoms are psychological changes and neurological problems like the shakes, and balance issues.

My high levels happened relatively quickly, over a period of about 3 years the first time, and after a year away from the range they dropped back down to almost zero.
Went back to work at the range a second time, and the rise happened in the span of about a year and a half, and again took about a year to drop back down.

Both times my lead levels exceeded 40, and neither time did I exhibit any symptoms of lead poisoning or need chelation..

And GotM4 knows where I used to work and can vouch for how bad the lead vapor issue was.

Thank you for your personal experience, hopefully many of us can avoid high levels learning from posts like yours!