PDA

View Full Version : Slamming bolt closed on an empty chamber

acaixguard
06-07-13, 23:41
Just wondering if it's harmful long term to slam the bolt forward on an empty chamber. I've always been taught not to do this excessively on pistols, so out of habit, I always ease the bolt forward. Not sure if this matters on AR's though.
I apologize if this has been covered before, but I didn't see an answer via search. Thanks in advance!

Blak1508
06-07-13, 23:48
I mean its not something I do all the time but it will def not kill the AR granted it is not shit, if you don't feel you should and can control it then do not do so, personally when my bolt is locked back on empty I ease about 1/3 and let it go. But when everything is new and has that fresh AR scent I check to see that the CH and bolt are seating correctly and I am more likly to let it slam home, just to get it used to the abuse :D

If you get into a habit of doing this it may just rub off when the chamber is not empty, now your bolt is not all the way forward and or seated properly. When finished my BCM BFH upper and BCM BCG I noticed if I did not let it rip I'd have to use the forward assist, but that went away after the first range trip

Split66
06-07-13, 23:51
It wont hurt....unless you sit there function testing the weapon 24 hours a day for a year or something silly. It's a a battle hardened weapon thats busted nuts on every continent. Beat on it.......

Wolverine6G
06-08-13, 04:25
Agree. Slam it home. Although im assuming you have all quality parts.

Iraqgunz
06-08-13, 04:48
A little explanation is in order here. If you take the BCG and remove the bolt, cam pin and firing pin and then insert the carrier into the upper and then allow it to drop or slam forward you will hear a "clunk". This is the front of the BCG impacting the barrel extension.

This is going to happen whether the carrier is complete or disassembled as above. If you then reassemble everything you will get the exact same results, the difference being that the bolt will then lock into the barrel extension and the "clunk" isn't always as pronounced.

So ultimately allowing your BCG slam home will make no difference at all and in the military it has probably hundreds or thousands of times in a weapons lifetime.