PDA

View Full Version : LM8 MRP versus SR15 E3 Mod1?

CornFedHusker
06-08-13, 10:15
If they can be found, both seem to sell at the $2200 price point. Which carries the better features for the $ spent? Torn between the two.

LTMattyL
06-08-13, 11:14
Better features can be a bit subjective. Do you have an intended use in mind?

As a disclaimer, I own two KAC rifles. That being said, I would say there is more value in the KAC offering. You get a hammer forged barrel, E3 bolt, ambi lower, and two stage tigger. Plus the KAC rail is longer, and since I'm on the tall side I like a longer rail.

With a stainless barrel and the monolithic rail, the LMT may make a good precision recce style rifle, but you will still need to switch out the iron sights that come with it to make a scope work plus, possibly, upgrade the trigger.

Standing by for everyone else's opinion.

ALCOAR
06-08-13, 11:21
Normally I wouldn't comment in a VS. thread given how they usually get filled up w/ opinions, rather than yielding any real pertinent info for narrowing one's choice down b/t two or more alternatives.

That said, I firmly believe these two particular complete factory built rifles are no doubt at the very top of the heap, and while I believe one might have the edge over the other......both incorporate the cutting edge AR designs of today, all the while doing so in a configuration that is truly hard use built.

It's a win/win with these two models as you get rifles that incorporate superior designs compared to the traditional base model serious use factory built rifles like ones from Colt, DD, LMT std., BCM, etc., and they still yield the same level of outstanding reliability, or otherwise performance aspects that are critical for being considered a true hard use/duty/HD grade rifle.

LMT's LM8 slick side monolithic QD/RTZ barrel swap design easily defines my own personal definition for today's cutting edge/superior design with regards to the upper half portion of the AR rifle. Everything really speaks for itself with regards to what it's bringing to the table that is so unique in terms of design and functionality.

KAC's Lower receiver, and E3 bolt design (granted LMT has an equally great bolt avail. for separate purchase) represent the cutting edge for the lower half design, and bolt as of today...again, in my book. The IWS lower delivers an enormous amount of enhancements over traditional non ambi AR lowers. Its fully ambi, with all controls being incredibly streamlined into it's design, and includes a 2stage match grade trigger, and the benchmark standard imho for RE/stocks which is the LMT RE w/ SOPMOD. While geissele makes far superior trigger options, BAD makes far superior ambi ST selector options, and nowadays there's numerous great sources for true mil spec REs, and hard use type buttstocks......nobody comes close to matching what KAC puts in the factory stock IWS lower.

I'd easily wait for the rifle length LM8 chassis, w/ their 14.5" barrel option....and then buy a complete factory SR 15 IWS lower (even though atm one can't get them through KAC), and have the best of both worlds.

It helps that LMT, and KAC are incredibly close in terms of sharing tech/designs, as well as sharing very similar manufacturing techniques and QC standards.

Hunter Rose
06-08-13, 11:56
Buy both, I did. At least the uppers anyway. You can't go wrong with either. If you want quick change barrels, get the LMT. If you want a hammer forged barrel with "the bolt that will never die" get the KAC.

I think the perfect AR would be a marriage of the two. LMT's mono upper and quick change barrel w/ angled gas port and straight gas tube married to a hammer forged light weight barrel with E3 bolt with KAC intermediate gas length.

Spooky130
06-08-13, 13:00
I have a standard MRP - not the LM8 version and the Mod O KAC gun so I can compare pretty close.

MRP might be overrated for the quick change ability - you have to buy extra barrels and they are hard to come by right now. The barrels are medium contour as a minimum so they are fairly hefty. I've got a 16" CL barrel in 5.56 and 6.8 plus an 18" SS barrel in 5.56. I'd love to get my hands on a .300 AAC barrel but haven't seen one in months. I ran my rifle length upper in an EAG class and it was a bit heavy but doable.

The KAC is super nice. Great trigger, lightweight, mid-lengthish system. Not a huge fan of the QDs in the receiver or the integrated front sight. It is more than accurate enough for my use and the weight/mid-length combo makes it very controllable.

As Trident said you really can't go wrong. I'd just take the time to decide if you will invest in multiple barrels and then actually swap them out to make it worth having the MRP. I think KAC has gone away from the QDs on the reliever and the URX 3.1 rail is one I'd rather have.

I really

hjmpanzr
06-13-13, 02:05
During the "panic" I took the opportunity and upgraded and Im pretty much running KAC and LMT MRPs. Trident and others have pretty much covered everything especially regarding the KAC lowers but there are some considerations for uppers on SBRs.

I had the slick rail mrp on an MWS. I loved it. But I haven't got my hands on an lm8 in 556 and I'm not sure how much I would like the carbine length on a 556. I would like to see more options for rail covers for the lm8. I run short barrels and Suppressors on my MRPs and I suspect it could get pretty hot.

I prefer the KAC 16" upper (mod 1 or mod0) to the standard carbine 16" MRP. However, I prefer the KAC 14.5 upper over the KAC 16". It has a medium contour dimpled barrel and has the same intermediate length gas system as the mod 1. Compact, solid and lightweight with great balance.

However, if I were choosing between an standard mrp with a 10.5 barrel and a KAC 11.5 upper I would opt for the mrp. The weight and feel of the rifles are about the same to me and both have the carbine gas system. I recently picked up a 300 blck barrel for the mrp and really appreciate the interchangeability.

So I would go KAC lower. I would opt for the kac 14.5 upper (pinned or no) or mod 1 over the mrp 16" (and the mrp lm8 until there are different rail cover options which there may be now?). But for the shorties, I like the mrp with its versatility whereas some of the benefits o the KAC uppers such as the gas system are limited.

Tzintzuntzan
06-13-13, 02:13
Anything as proprietary as the SR15 in a 5.56 gives me the creeps. They honestly don't recommend you use a GI bolt despite the fact that if the E3 brakes you'll most likely have to use the GI bolt that should only be used "in a pinch". Even though the E3 does sound like it's the latest, greatest AR bolt to come by in a while I would still wonder why you'd build a gun that you can't recommend running without it. I thought that parts availability was a major purchase requirement :confused:

If the E3 is more available than I am aware please correct my ignorant ass.

Spooky130
06-13-13, 08:46
Not sure the bolt issue is really valid with the E3. No one seems to have broke one yet with reports of life in the 20k range your barrel is likely to be gone around the same time. Might as well replace both at that point. But I don't think there is enough hard data out there to support my thoughts on the E3. You could always buy an extra bolt when you get your rifle or are working through your first 20k rounds.

bp7178
06-13-13, 08:47
Latest and greatest? They've been in production for a number of years now and I haven't read of one breaking.

Nothing is stopping a user from buying and storing a spare.

If you are waiting for something to break before buying a replacement, then you're going to have issues if you have a E3 or a standard bolt.

hjmpanzr
06-13-13, 08:49
Then dont buy an sr-15. i used to feel the same way. I picked up my first sr-15 with the thought that it would be a "race horse" (and not the work horse) of the herd which would only come out on occasion. But then I started to shoot it. i noticed that it (and my lmt sbr) was consistently making it to the range and the colt 6920 or 16" lmt were staying home. So I bought a second and then....

But I like to keep telling myself that I can't rely on my kac rifles because of the E3 bolt so I can buy pieces that use the "regular" bolt. However, now the race horses have become the work horses and the rest of the herd has been slimmed down to MRPs and centurion arms/recce uppers.

BTW, Ive never had a hard time finding an E3 bolt. I picked up 2 during the "panic" for about what folks were paying for a colt bolt or the like.

The other thing is that I'm still waiting to see the E3 bolt brake.

The op is in a great spot in that he's trying to decide between two outstanding systems. However, if he is planning on going with a kac he'd better hurry. Kac suspended commercial sales for the near future of rifle, upper or lower. Apparently too many sales to military and .govs. But they will still be selling the E3 bolts!

Tzintzuntzan
06-13-13, 10:48
I still feel a bit weary to be honest. As far as latest and greatest goes, I mean it's pretty much the only improved bolt that seems to perform better than the GI bolt.