PDA

View Full Version : MGW Glock Rear Sight Tool

Quiet Riot
06-08-13, 14:57
I recently switched out my Gen 4 G17's factory sights for a set of Ameriglo Pro I-Dots. I started with my range's "universal" sight tool, but aborted quickly when it wouldn't securely hold the Glock slide in place.

After a bit of research, I bought the Maryland Gun Works rear sight tool made just for Glocks, and I'm really pleased with it. I cannot imagine a way to switch out rear sights that is faster, easier, and safer to both sight and slide.

Coincidentally, MidwayUSA has these on sale this month, though I bought mine through Amazon so that if I didn't like it, I could return it for a refund. This tool is definitely a keeper, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cmTjoLBT-Q

jmoore
06-08-13, 15:57
Is it useble on sights that are either vertical or angled???

TIA

sammage
06-08-13, 16:56
Is it useble on sights that are either vertical or angled???

TIA
Yes, I have used it on Trijicon HDs and Ameriglos.

Dobie
06-08-13, 17:23
The MGW tool is excellent. With the ability to install sights yourself all options for sights are available not just what's available locally.

mayonaise
06-08-13, 18:00
99% of the time I use this. Brownells nylon-brass hammer (http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/hammers/1-nylon-brass-hammer-prod12588.aspx)

FAB45
06-08-13, 18:20
99% of the time I use this. Brownells nylon-brass hammer (http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/hammers/1-nylon-brass-hammer-prod12588.aspx)

Gross, lol. I'd be scared of cracking the tritium vile.

JSGlock34
06-08-13, 18:41
Completely agree. Had a similar experience with a universal tool which in the end was not very effective. My MGW sight tool (purchased through MidwayUSA) has taken all the guess work out of installing a Glock rear sight. Can't think of a safer and faster way to do it.

I've used it to install several sets of HD sights on my pistols and those of some buddies without issue. The HDs are definitely popular...

Quiet Riot
06-08-13, 18:41

60% of the time, it works every time. :D

I don't blame those who use a punch and hammer, but the MGW is a great option for those who want a more genteel method of changing and adjusting sights.

Quiet Riot
06-08-13, 18:46
Completely agree. Had a similar experience with a universal tool which in the end was not very effective. My MGW sight tool (purchased through MidwayUSA) has taken all the guess work out of installing a Glock rear sight. Can't think of a safer and faster way to do it.

I've used it to install several sets of HD sights on my pistols and those of some buddies without issue. The HDs are definitely popular...
The HDs were my first choice, but they were backordered for months everywhere I could find them. I am very happy with the I-Dot sights, though. Same idea as the HDs, but with two vertical dots instead of three horizontal dots. There is a logic to that (you can't get two sight dots in the wrong order but you can with three), but I don't know if I buy into it.

I don't pay any attention to the dots for precision shooting and just use the sight outline. However, for fast stuff, the front sight works just as good as my XS Big Dot sights on my G20.

rathos
06-08-13, 19:35
I have the same tool, but I had a lot of issues with Heine style sights when trying to install them. Had to get them started with a nylon hammer before the tool would work.

Dos Cylindros
06-08-13, 20:36
I have the MGW tool for my M&P's and it is a really well built and easy to use tool. The bonus is that it also works perfectly on the rear sight of my G23. I have used it to install multiple sets of sights on my M&P's and those of friends. I have also used it to make wind age adjustments with ease to my G23. Deffinately a great buy.

mayonaise
06-09-13, 15:36
60% of the time, it works every time. :D

I don't blame those who use a punch and hammer, but the MGW is a great option for those who want a more genteel method of changing and adjusting sights.

I don't use a punch. Just the hammer. Again 99% of the time it's good to go on the Glocks I work on. And that's quite a lot. Everything from the stock poly's, GNS, Trij's, and Ameriglos. Every now and then I'll use the MGW or "big Bertha".

VIP3R 237
06-09-13, 15:47
Gross, lol. I'd be scared of cracking the tritium vile.

I've seen it happen on the front sights, but not on the back yet.

RalphK.
06-09-13, 16:39
Will this tool work w/ the RB1 sights???

PLCedeno
06-10-13, 05:42
Having attempted to use the Glock factory rear sight tool one has a much higher appreciation for the MGW tool.

jackinfl
06-10-13, 07:44

No. I have the mgw tool. It didn't for me. It does work with standard type sightslike trijicon. I used a delrin or brass rod to install my 10-8/RB1 sights.

RPD03
06-10-13, 08:45

The one for flat side sights works for the RB1 sights. I've used this one for RB1 and Warren sight as well as the standard Trijicon style.
I think the MGW model is MGW309S for Glock.

twistedcomrade
06-10-13, 09:13
I have the MGW tool and installing Trijicons on my G21 G4 could not have been easier. However, a bud at work went to use it on his wife's G19 G3 and ran into an issue. I guess the sites were a little to wide and needed some very light filing. He web searches verified that this does happen occasionally.

TacCommE21
06-10-13, 09:21
I have one as well. A must have for Glock owners.

Quiet Riot
06-10-13, 11:23
I have the MGW tool and installing Trijicons on my G21 G4 could not have been easier. However, a bud at work went to use it on his wife's G19 G3 and ran into an issue. I guess the sites were a little to wide and needed some very light filing. He web searches verified that this does happen occasionally.

I mention this in the video. This tool does not let you ignore fitting your sight to the slide, though it makes everything easier along the way.

Quiet Riot
06-10-13, 11:28
The one for flat side sights works for the RB1 sights. I've used this one for RB1 and Warren sight as well as the standard Trijicon style.
I think the MGW model is MGW309S for Glock.

I don't think they make the straight version anymore. The big names don't seem to stock it at all, and if you can find the straight version on a website somewhere, it will be listed as out of stock.

If anyone knows differently, I'd like to put an annotation on the video about where to get them for those that need the straight-sided jig.

OldGreg
06-10-13, 11:58
I'll say it outloud.. i'll give the MGW a 'Meh", because it could be better. I own one, so i feel i've got the right to complain about it.

What ticks me off is that they designed it in such a manner that it takes 2 different $100 pushers to service all aftermarket Glock sights. That's kind of a consumer rip-off, at least in my opinion.

I'm no genius, not even on the internet... but if it had a wider housing with a longer travel shaft, you could use the 'outer' straight edges of the sight notch to push on/off straight sided sights. Sour grapes i know, but damn, it could be a better tool, and a better value.

Luckily for me, i have a love affair with Ameriglo Glock sights that are angled, so i broke down and got the MGW on sale while using a Visa gift card.

Rant off..

RalphK.
06-10-13, 14:03
I'm not on the up n up w/ these tools...so which do you guys recommend for the RB1 sights??? I've got 2 17's waiting ;)

Thank you in advance...

RPD03
06-10-13, 14:28
I don't think they make the straight version anymore. The big names don't seem to stock it at all, and if you can find the straight version on a website somewhere, it will be listed as out of stock.

If anyone knows differently, I'd like to put an annotation on the video about where to get them for those that need the straight-sided jig.

Brownells has the straight side in stock.

RalphK.
06-10-13, 14:38
http://www.topgunsupply.com/sight-adjust-install-tool-glock-tall.html

tmanker
06-10-13, 22:31
Brownells has the straight side in stock.

I ordered the 309S in stock last night from brownells for straight side sights. I have used this exact tool to install two sets of RB1's as well. I would buy this tool always unless there is one special slanted sight you need it for. It works great for removing the stock sights.

b7tac
06-12-13, 17:32
I have a MGW sight tool for the M&P and it works amazingly. I have installed sights on probably a dozen M&Ps

A couple things that I learned during my first install:

1. Tape the slide where the tool makes contact with it. It may take a little bit of the finish off otherwise, but nothing bad.

2. put a tiny piece of business card or duct tape between the tool and the edge of the rear sight. That will keep the sight looking perfect.

Up1911fan
06-13-13, 22:30
I used mine to install a set of Ameriglo CAP's on a G19 yesterday. It's a high quality tool.

Peshawar
06-14-13, 05:03
Love mine. Been using it for years. Installed more than a dozen sights with it.

Robb Jensen
06-14-13, 05:29
Your rant should be more directed at the companies that make all the differently shaped sights for Glocks, not MGW.

For installing GLOCK rear sights I use both the 9mm and 10mm old GLOCK factory rear sight tools. A MGW slanted rear sight tool and the MGW "tall" (straight walled) sight tool and 4 different front sight tools. I install on average between 20-30 sets of GLOCK sights per week.

I'll say it outloud.. i'll give the MGW a 'Meh", because it could be better. I own one, so i feel i've got the right to complain about it.

What ticks me off is that they designed it in such a manner that it takes 2 different $100 pushers to service all aftermarket Glock sights. That's kind of a consumer rip-off, at least in my opinion.

I'm no genius, not even on the internet... but if it had a wider housing with a longer travel shaft, you could use the 'outer' straight edges of the sight notch to push on/off straight sided sights. Sour grapes i know, but damn, it could be a better tool, and a better value.

Luckily for me, i have a love affair with Ameriglo Glock sights that are angled, so i broke down and got the MGW on sale while using a Visa gift card.

Rant off..

mat10x
07-08-13, 18:35
bought a MGW tool last year or so. works great for the most part. installed a few sets of trijicon hds on my glocks.

only trouble i have with my MGW is that the screw mechanism is very tight on each half rotation of the T handle. easy/hard/easy/hard/easy/hard...all the way left and right. i can't spin the T handle with one finger "as seen on TV". it's well lubed. i can actually see the screw bend ever so slightly each half turn. looks like the pusher is rubbing on the back portion of the aluminium housing.

bugs me when installing because it's hard to tell if the sight is tight or not....or just MGW binding up each half turn.

i did call MGW a while back...they kind of gave me a non-answer.

anybody else have this issue?

товарищ
07-09-13, 11:17
bought a MGW tool last year or so. works great for the most part. installed a few sets of trijicon hds on my glocks.

only trouble i have with my MGW is that the screw mechanism is very tight on each half rotation of the T handle. easy/hard/easy/hard/easy/hard...all the way left and right. i can't spin the T handle with one finger "as seen on TV". it's well lubed. i can actually see the screw bend ever so slightly each half turn. looks like the pusher is rubbing on the back portion of the aluminium housing.

bugs me when installing because it's hard to tell if the sight is tight or not....or just MGW binding up each half turn.

i did call MGW a while back...they kind of gave me a non-answer.

anybody else have this issue?

I have never had this issue while installing a properly fitted sight.

Rayrevolver
07-09-13, 11:47
I have never had this issue while installing a properly fitted sight.

He is saying the MGW tool binds on its own. Mine does too. Used it to put Warren Tacticals, no issues though.

thopkins22
03-18-14, 01:13
Your rant should be more directed at the companies that make all the differently shaped sights for Glocks, not MGW.

For installing GLOCK rear sights I use both the 9mm and 10mm old GLOCK factory rear sight tools. A MGW slanted rear sight tool and the MGW "tall" (straight walled) sight tool and 4 different front sight tools. I install on average between 20-30 sets of GLOCK sights per week.

Yes I realize I'm bringing this back(felt like the right home for this though,) but if you found yourself installing lots of Warren Tactical rears, Sevigny Competition rears, and Sevigny Carry rears which would you choose? Or does that list already make being a one tool house impossible?

Double3
03-18-14, 05:52
I picked up a used Glockmeister tool a while back and it works.

Comes with the front sight tool as well.

docwatson
03-18-14, 08:48
I have both the angled tool and the straight sided tool, inbound from Brownells. When our PD went to Glocks in the early 90's, we had the original rear sight adjuster from Glock that was handmade, by some guy I forget now, but anyway after I retired I understand it disappear from our armorers kit, which is a shame because the thing was built like a tank, and did a great job. Anyway, since then I have used a leather mallet and a brass punch, but I am always concerned about damaging a sight(never has happened, but it could) so I look forward to getting the new tools.

TurretGunner
03-18-14, 12:47
I use this : http://www.sightpusher.com/

Its fantastic for the money. Has worked on everything I have tried thus far, Minus a 92FS with its retarded sight config and frame decocker in the way.

At first I laughed at it, then I saw my FFL use it on a bunch of guns and went home and ordered one.

mayonaise
03-19-14, 10:12
Freddie at Robar showed me this one at Shot Show. Pretty impressive but not cheap. http://robarguns.com/pro-shop/product/unipro-sight-tool/

teutonicpolymer
03-19-14, 13:57
I am cheap so I just use a pocket stone/triangle file, hammer, and an aluminum rod with masking tape on the end