PDA

View Full Version : Liking your Magpul MOE rifle stock?

Dabster
06-08-13, 15:49
To be clear, I am asking about this one:

http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG404/181

My searches have brought up a lot of pre-release discussion and some positives from first-adopters but little else.

How are you liking these? Any major issues? How is the cheekweld? How do you like the LOP? Bonus question: Anyone switch to a MOE from a PRS?

About me: I am looking to replace the A2 stock on an Armalite AR-10t. I want something that would fit a monopod and possibly give a better cheekweld with a scope. This will primarily be used prone or from a bench.

Thanks!

MarkG
06-08-13, 18:09
They are much more functional than a standard fixed stock.I have to rifles equipped with them and couldn't be happier. Cheek weld is excellent, multiple sling points and A1 length of pull. Obviously much lighter than the PRS. They are rated a buy...

Obscenejesster
06-08-13, 20:13
I like the MOE but I like the STR more. I have 1 of each but the STR sits on my main. I have an Aimpoint pro on my main rifle and I think the STR offers better cheekweld when using optics. I also have 5 Aimpoint batteries sitting in one of the storage tubes in the stock which should give me a lifetime worth of working optics if I ever need to hit the road.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

AFshirt
06-08-13, 20:35
I have been wondering about this stock. I have a spare lower that I have been trying to decide on what to do with it. I was thinking 18inch barrel with a fixed stock and this one caught my eye.

SWThomas
06-08-13, 20:51
Looks nice but I prefer an adjustable.

Burls
06-08-13, 21:21
I'm running one on my 20" build right now and love it. As stated above, great cheek weld and sling options are endless. If your going fixed stock, its definitely the way to go.

markm
06-10-13, 09:18
If your going fixed stock, its defiantly the way to go.

You don't have to be defiant about it. :haha:

Burls
06-10-13, 22:58
You don't have to be defiant about it. :haha:

Ha! Stupid auto correct, I need to start proof reading when posting from my phone.

HeavyDuty
02-01-14, 19:06
Rather than start another thread, I'll bump this one up for more feedback. Are y'all that tried the MOE Rifle stock still happy with it?

I'm building a simple 20" LW and this stock is very tempting - I like the storage and the simplicity. It's either a MOE Rifle or yet another ACS-L on an A5.

_Stormin_
02-01-14, 20:11
It's either a MOE Rifle or yet another ACS-L on an A5.

I think that the ACS on an A5 7 position is the best thing to happen to the platform since aluminum... I built one with that set up and fell in love in the first magazine.

hk_shootr
02-01-14, 20:16
MOE is ok, CTR is better, SOPMOD my preferred.

HeavyDuty
02-01-14, 20:23
I think that the ACS on an A5 7 position is the best thing to happen to the platform since aluminum... I built one with that set up and fell in love in the first magazine.

I agree with you, A5 / ACS-L is more or less my standard, I have them on three ARs now. But, I'm trying to keep the cost down on this new build and simplicity is a goal. I have a rifle RE, buffer and spring in the parts box, and going A5 / ACS-L will add almost $200 to the build.

I'm not sure if the longer length of the MOE Rifle will go down well, but it wouldn't cost much to find out. Plus, it has storage for my PB&J.

fixit69
02-01-14, 20:53
Not likeing the MOE. But I have found I like the ACS and ACR, that might cloud my judgement. I like adjustable length.

HeavyDuty
02-01-14, 21:09
Not likeing the MOE. But I have found I like the ACS and ACR, that might cloud my judgement. I like adjustable length.

You have one and don't like it?

Voodoo_Man
02-01-14, 21:13
I have one. Ill post pix when I get home.

Its pretty good.

Eurodriver
02-02-14, 05:43
MOE is ok, CTR is better, SOPMOD my preferred.

Where are you finding sopmod fixed stocks?

MistWolf
02-02-14, 06:44
If you have a carbine RE laying around, you could always give the MOE Fixed Carbine Stock a try. I'm thinking of giving it a go on my M&P-10
http://cdn.magpul.com/images/uploads/190_1163_large.jpg

hk_shootr
02-02-14, 07:07
Where are you finding sopmod fixed stocks?

Well,.......I didn't. Simply missed the "fixed" portion of the question.

fixit69
02-02-14, 07:43
No. I shot a friends.

Did not like the fact that the cheek weld I had with the ACS and ACR was not there. Same reason I don't care for M4 stocks anymore.

Did not make it impossible to shoot, I just don't care for it.

Voodoo_Man
02-02-14, 08:33
I've had both the carbine fixed stock and currently have the rifle fixed stock.

http://i.imgur.com/wk3EvT3.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Dh5DeLw.jpg

The carbine fixed stock is nice, if I had a shorty SBR and didn't mind having my nose against the charging handle it might be the way to go. But it was just too short for my personal preference.

http://i.imgur.com/gHvJvX3.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/bI16NUd.jpg

The fixed rifle stock is actually pretty comfortable. The rifle above is my interpretation of a "KISS" rifle up to modern standards. The fixed rifle stock works really well and I have no complaints about it. Cheek weld is nice and the added storage space is always a plus.

HeavyDuty
02-02-14, 12:17
No. I shot a friends.

Did not like the fact that the cheek weld I had with the ACS and ACR was not there. Same reason I don't care for M4 stocks anymore.

Did not make it impossible to shoot, I just don't care for it.

Cool, that's the kind of feedback I'm looking for. Thanks!

HeavyDuty
02-02-14, 12:18
If you have a carbine RE laying around, you could always give the MOE Fixed Carbine Stock a try. I'm thinking of giving it a go on my M&P-10

But then I'm back to the whole A5 expense thing - I don't like carbine recoil systems on a rifle, it's just me.

MistWolf
02-02-14, 12:24
Gotcha. Magpul shows the Fixed Carbine stock fitting a carbine extension but I don't know if it will work on a rifle extension. I don't know it it will work on a A5 extension

walker2713
02-02-14, 12:37
I've got CTRs on all my ARs.....tighter lock-up on adjustment, in my experience.....

My Colt 6920 came with the MOE....I sold it online and put a CTR on it....

Shao
02-02-14, 13:02
I love mine. I needed to buy the .80" PRS spacer to get the LOP right, but it's solid, lightweight, and attractive. I have one on my "varmint" gun, if you want to call it that. It's more like a stationary medium-range, highly-accurate blasting implement. I tried the UBR, then the PRS, and then finally decided I didn't need all of that. The MOE rifle stock is perfect IMO. The cheekweld is perfect. It's affordable. More people should try it out.

Ct. Rich
02-02-14, 15:24
I have one on a lower that has a Stag 6H upper on it. I'm happy with it but I am thinking about the .800 PRS spacer like Shao did. With a little bit more length of pull I think it would be perfect for me.

Dabster
02-02-14, 15:30
I love mine. I needed to buy the .80" PRS spacer to get the LOP right, but it's solid, lightweight, and attractive. I have one on my "varmint" gun, if you want to call it that. It's more like a stationary medium-range, highly-accurate blasting implement. I tried the UBR, then the PRS, and then finally decided I didn't need all of that. The MOE rifle stock is perfect IMO. The cheekweld is perfect. It's affordable. More people should try it out.

This. This right here, is the informed response that I have been waiting for.

Thank you!

HeavyDuty
02-02-14, 23:27
OK, I'm liking what I'm hearing. I'll give one a try.

Thanks!

RichFitz
02-02-14, 23:48
Gotcha. Magpul shows the Fixed Carbine stock fitting a carbine extension but I don't know if it will work on a rifle extension. I don't know it it will work on a A5 extension

The Fixed Carbine stock will work on a standard and A5 receiver extension.

The MOE Rifle Stock works with the standard A1/A2 receiver extension.

Shao
02-03-14, 07:34
This. This right here, is the informed response that I have been waiting for.

Thank you!

Quite welcome. I think that you'll be very happy with yours. Please keep us updated with your thoughts and opinions if you decide to purchase and install.

markm
02-03-14, 12:09
I'm still rocking my Fixed carbine MOE over my A5 Buffer system. I've yet to find a downside.

Clint
02-03-14, 18:21
This IS a great combo.

I put one together after you first suggested it.

It's rock solid.

I'm still rocking my Fixed carbine MOE over my A5 Buffer system. I've yet to find a downside.

SeriousStudent
02-03-14, 19:26
I have an MOE fixed length rifle stock, and enjoy it for it's role.

One day I was sorting through my parts boxes, and realized I had enough spare Colt parts to build an A4 upper. I took a spare lower and LPK from the safe, and built an MOE rifle.

It's got a Colt 20" rifle barrel, and the furniture is all MOE - rifle handguards, pistol grip, stock, etc. Slapped an old Colt carry handle on it, and it works very well.

I like it as a combination of old and new. I was in the FMF when we transitioned from the M16A1 to the M16A2. So iron sights are very comfortable for me. The length of pull is excellent from the prone position, and I really do like the cheekweld. I've got probably every stock Magpul makes, I'd honestly have to go look. But the MOE rifle stock is a great fit for me personally.

Recently I found an MOE illum kit I had forgotten about, and put a Surefire G3 with a 1000-lumen LED in that. The fit is excellent - my thumb falls right on the switch to turn the light on and off. It will also light up a coyote from a nice distance - we have too many coyotes here.

I have a nephew that is a pretty big boy, and this rifle will probably end up with him as a Christmas present or something. But it might not, I really do like how it fits.

Hope that helps.

rauchman
02-04-14, 10:26

+1. My favorite setup so far. I may do the extended butt pad for a smidge more length, but I'm digging the setup. Being in a ban state, this is the best option I've come across.

I have the VLtor A1 length stock on another rifle. It's ok, but I find the Fixed carbine MOE a better fit for me. I also am running the Mod3 BCM grip and, for me, it's a perfect combo. I like NTCH and the MOE FC stock allows for consistent head placement...for me.

markm
02-04-14, 13:47
This IS a great combo.

I put one together after you first suggested it.

It's rock solid.

The solidness of the stock was the biggest surprise to me. It feels a lot stronger than any A1 options I've run in the past.... and way stronger than any adjustable. Good buttplate too... not slick where you can't lean the gun on something, but not that overly grippy SOPMOD rubber that drives me nuts.

HeavyDuty
02-09-14, 14:06
I ordered one of these on faith without having first seen or handled one, it's not here for a few days yet.

I found an M&P at a local store yesterday that had a MOE Rifle stock in some kind of hunting camo. I'm happy to say that not only is the length very usable, the stock isn't as gawky is it appears in some pics (not that it matters). It's odd how these photograph.

Dabster
02-15-14, 12:48
I finally got my hands (more importantly my cheek) on a Magpul AR-10 PRS. As I'd heard, the cheekweld was awkward. I've been thinking that the MOE fixed stock was going to be temporary until I got a PRS but I think the MOE is gonna be a keeper.

HeavyDuty
02-15-14, 20:05
My MOE Rifle stock came in a few days ago. I'm very impressed so far, and am hoping to get it out on the range after the local ice age abates a little. Very solid, LOP is actually decent, cheekweld is good.

Griz22
02-15-14, 21:38
I had one but switched because I wanted adjustable. Swapped it out for a b5 enhanced; the qd is in a good spot for my 2-2-1 and I want the battery storage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RIGPIG
02-16-14, 20:41
I have an MOE rifle stock on my newest 3Gun build. I need to get the .80 PRS pad to get the LOP right, but I'm very satisfied with it. I bought it for my rifle build because I run the ACS-Ls on my carbine ARs, and the cheekweld is virtually identical. I don't know of a better fixed stock out there for the money, personally.

HeavyDuty
02-16-14, 20:54
My only real complaint so far is that it costs a left nut to equip it with ambi QD sockets front and rear - almost as much as the stock itself!

SgtRock
03-16-14, 13:34
Much nicer than the stock original A1/A2 stocks on standard issues AR's...

Dabster
04-16-14, 22:33
OP here...

I got one. It took minutes to install. It feels rock-steady. It provides s better cheek-weld than the OEM A2 stock. It gives a much better way to approach the trigger. The padding is nice. The storage is more easily accessed than that in the A2. It provides a great place to mount s monopod.

I look forward to many happy years with this stock.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/14/e9a8uty4.jpg

Nightvisionary
04-17-14, 02:47
The Magpul MOE stock is on my new DPMS G2 308 Hunter I have coming in on Monday. I will be changing the receiver extension and buffer from rifle to carbine and replacing the MOE stock with a CTR Monday night.

ElDuderino
04-17-14, 10:09
I like mine quite a bit. Nice option for my simple setup rifle build for messing around at the range.

Makes me want to try out more fixed stock setups.

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee382/LebowskiRugs/image-46.jpg (http://s1225.photobucket.com/user/LebowskiRugs/media/image-46.jpg.html)

henschman
04-17-14, 15:42
I just bought MOE rifle stocks for both my A4 and my .308 (i.e. both of my rifles that wear magnified optics). The reason I went this way was for cheek weld. I previously had ACS-Ls on both rifles... between the fact that I had to rest my cheek on the buffer tube and the fact that my scope mount puts the optic slightly higher than the plane of the iron sights, cheek weld just plain sucked with the collapsible stock. When I closed my eyes and relaxed into my position, I would open my eyes and find my eye down below the scope's eye box. As for length, I pretty much always kept my ACS stock adjusted to A2 length, so the ability to collapse the stock won't be missed much. The MOE Rifle greatly improves the cheek weld situation, and is almost the perfect length for me... it appears that Magpul split the baby between A1 and A2 length. I has a PRS extra thick butt pad I will probably install. So far the only real drawback I can see is that the fixed stock is a bit heavier than the carbine stock. Here is my A4, before and after:

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk201/henschman/guns/image_zpsebe90c92.jpg
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk201/henschman/guns/image_zps60349dc2.jpg

Fuzzy-Reticle
04-17-14, 19:01
I really like the MOE rifle stock. Bomb proof and typical MagPul KISS. It is comfortable to use for extended periods and rock solid. It does not hurt that it looks good also. Being left handed I like the easy change of the QD sling swivel cup.

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll190/fuzzyreticle/BCM%20with%20Aimpoint/2013-03-25163613_zps8814d805.jpg (http://s288.photobucket.com/user/fuzzyreticle/media/BCM%20with%20Aimpoint/2013-03-25163613_zps8814d805.jpg.html)

HeavyDuty
04-18-14, 08:00
My MOE Rifle stock came in a few days ago. I'm very impressed so far, and am hoping to get it out on the range after the local ice age abates a little. Very solid, LOP is actually decent, cheekweld is good.

OK, I've had a chance to put a few hundred rounds downrange on two separate occasions with the new MOE Rifle-equipped 20". I'm liking it more and more - balance is good, it's a very comfortable and solid stock. The LOP works well for me both with and without a coat.

This is proving to have been a good choice.

ibmikey
04-19-14, 09:23
As has been reported numerous times the rifle stock is a heck of a nice item for the money, I put one on my LR 308 and then added the enhanced butt pad for extra length. This stock is a great deal more comfortable than the original collapsable that came on the rifle and gives me a rock solid hold on the bench. I have a couple of the Fixed Carbine Stocks also and again added the thick butt pad for a more comfortable feel with LOP. Both have their uses on specific rifles I have set up and would recommend them in that light, but for versatility there are other more compatible options.