PDA

View Full Version : Weak side shooting with a scope

pingdork
06-08-13, 19:13
This morning I was practicing shooting around barriers from odd/uncomfortable positions both strong and weak side. I was using a H1, but since I also own a 1-4x, it got me thinking.

How do you guys shoot weak side with your scope? With my H1 I'm both eyes open of course, but I always close my non-dom eye with a scope. Do you just shoot with non-dom eye, and close dom side. Or try to tilt your head in a funky way to still use your dom eye?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, my search just gave me info in regards to weak side shooting with RDS.

I'll throw my scope on and give it a try next week. I'm right handed, right eye dominant. I'll need some practice closing my right eye.

pingdork
06-08-13, 19:17
I'll add the BAC concept doesn't work for me. Two different images confuses my brain too much. So both eyes open with any magnification is not an option.

Failure2Stop
06-09-13, 10:46
It's all about repetition.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.

AKDoug
06-09-13, 10:53
I use an illuminated 1x4 scope on 1x just like I would using a red dot. Most 1-4's are not really 1x on the low end, so if that is a problem you might have to experiment. When shooting my magnified scopes on the weak side I will squint or close my dominant eye and aim with my non-dominant eye, the same thing I do with irons on the weak side.

RogerinTPA
06-09-13, 11:05
No real change for me when shooting support side & one handed support side, but I tend to focus on using my left eye more. I don't know if I have eyes like a hammerhead shark, but I've found that the rounds aren't going where I need them to go using only my right eye (dominant). While at the range, I make a conscious effort to shoot 1/3 to 1/2 the rounds fired support side, both pistol and carbine.

pingdork
06-09-13, 12:09
It's all about repetition.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.

Of what exactly?
using the weak eye?
Getting the brain accustomed to the Binden aiming concept?

I use an illuminated 1x4 scope on 1x just like I would using a red dot. Most 1-4's are not really 1x on the low end

Mine is an accupoint which is pretty close on the 1x side. But even at 1x consistent cheek weld is important which from uncomfortable positions is not always possible.

I don't know if I have eyes like a hammerhead shark, but I've found that the rounds aren't going where I need them to go using only my right eye (dominant). While at the range, I make a conscious effort to shoot 1/3 to 1/2 the rounds fired support side, both pistol and carbine.

I'm so horrible shooting pistol left handed, I pretty much gave up. I really should spend next few range trips shooting lefty only and hopefully force myself to get better.

Another question switching between strong and support side, rifle and pistol, how much accuracy and speed loss do you find acceptable on support sided shooting? I'm assuming no amount of training can make you as proficient as strong side, but rather train to close the gap.

Failure2Stop
06-09-13, 13:51
Of what exactly?
using the weak eye?
Getting the brain accustomed to the Binden aiming concept?

Mine is an accupoint which is pretty close on the 1x side. But even at 1x consistent cheek weld is important which from uncomfortable positions is not always possible.

I'm so horrible shooting pistol left handed, I pretty much gave up. I really should spend next few range trips shooting lefty only and hopefully force myself to get better.

Another question switching between strong and support side, rifle and pistol, how much accuracy and speed loss do you find acceptable on support sided shooting? I'm assuming no amount of training can make you as proficient as strong side, but rather train to close the gap.

First, the "Bindon Aiming Concept" is just a re-brand of a well known phenomenon where a bold reticle draws the eye and enables rapid aiming.

Anyway, simple repetition of acquiring the reticle is what will make the greatest difference in performance.

I simply do the exact same exercises on the left side/eye as I do on the right side for rapid precise presentations and transitions. Basically, you want the brain to understand that when the sights are in front of either eye that you want to use the visual input of that eye. It isn't hard, it just takes time.

All the tricks that folks use to train open eyed shooting applies if you are struggling. And I don't mean "it feels weird the first hour I tried it" type of struggling. None of the advanced/non-intuitive skills feel "right" the first time you do it. The more times you repeat a skill correctly, the more comfortable it will become.

As far as non-traditional positions go, remember, it isn't about where your cheek is that's important, it's where your eye is that matters. Learn how you need to position your body to see what you need to see.

Performance degredation: I want my support side to be at least 90% of my dominant side. A lot of work can be done in dry-fire to reduce ammunition and range-time strain.

Here's a simple drill I use for support-side comfort:

B8 target or 5x8 index card at 25 yards
30 rounds in carbine
Standing position

Fire one shot from strong side/strong shoulder
Move selector to "safe"
Transition to support side shoulder without changing hand position and fire a single shot.
Move selector to "safe"
Change hand position to traditional support-side placement and fire a single shot.
Move selector to "safe"
Transition to dominant side shoulder without changing hand position and fire a single shot.
Move selector to "safe"
Change hand position to normal dominant-side placement and fire a single shot.
Move selector to "safe".
Repeat until magazine is empty.

Don't worry about time until you are comfortable and getting 28 on target.
If shoulder transitions without changing hand position are not part of your training plan, simply do full transitions.

Pistol:
Essentially the same thing, except fire a single shot with the dominant hand/eye, safe deliberate hand-over to the support side, single shot one-handed with the support hand/eye.
Target: B8 or 5x8 at 15 yards.

Basically, the idea is to get the mind to understand that "shooting is shooting", regardless of what hand/eye is being used.

pingdork
06-09-13, 14:15
F2S. Many thanks. I'm printing this for reference.