PDA

View Full Version : Stippled My Carry Gun.

G19 Driver
06-08-13, 20:55
This is the first gun I have ever stippled. I like the way it turned out and feels great. What do you guys think?

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a261/shan96/null-24.jpg

currahee
06-08-13, 21:14
Stipple looks good. What is in the grooves of the slide?

G19 Driver
06-08-13, 21:16
Just everyday skateboard tape? Works good for tearing the finger tips out of thin gloves.

Unkle Kurt
06-09-13, 00:08
Looks great! I've been wanting to do that to my G17. How'd you do it? How long did it take you?

gun71530
06-09-13, 02:34
Looks great, my EDC is a G19 RTF2 so I haven't had the need to stipple a handgun yet. I am looking forward to getting a standard Glock and giving it a try though.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Tzed250
06-09-13, 02:42
Very professional looking work.

Airhasz
06-09-13, 06:19
Thats one of the better stippling jobs I have seen. I would bet you have done this before.

G19 Driver
06-09-13, 09:25
Looks great! I've been wanting to do that to my G17. How'd you do it? How long did it take you?

I used a Weller 15 piece wood burning kit that can be found at Lowes.
The first thing I do is flatten all the factory texture on the blackstrap of the gun until its smooth and even. Then I go ahead and stipple the borders for where I want the stippling to be. Then I just fill in those borders. It takes me less than an hour to do the job. If you use the Weller kit then the tip I use is the pointed tip, but the tip is a rounded point.

Thanks all for the kind words on how it turned out.

G19 Driver
06-09-13, 09:26
Thats one of the better stippling jobs I have seen. I would bet you have done this before.
Nope. This was the first one I have ever done. I did have a really good understanding on how to do it though.

Guns-up.50
06-09-13, 09:57
Just everyday skateboard tape? Works good for tearing the finger tips out of thin gloves.

Doesn't filling the slide serrations defeat the purpose of them. were you not able to get a good purchase without it?

G19 Driver
06-09-13, 10:06
Doesn't filling the slide serrations defeat the purpose of them. were you not able to get a good purchase without it?
No the tape actually helps a little.

Vash1023
06-09-13, 10:08
do you carry IWB?

i cant carry a stippled gun daily because it tears up my skin and gets caught on all my clothing.

G19 Driver
06-09-13, 10:10
do you carry IWB?

i cant carry a stippled gun daily because it tears up my skin and gets caught on all my clothing.

No I carry OWB with a Raven Concealment Phantom.

ICANHITHIMMAN
06-09-13, 10:50
do you carry IWB?

I carry stippled appendix and I know what your talking about. Only way around it is to wear an under shirt and then you got no issues.

G19 Driver
06-09-13, 10:57
I carry stippled appendix and I know what your talking about. Only way around it is to wear an under shirt and then you got no issues.

I wear an undershirt even carrying OWB. I live in Mississippi and a thin undershirt, like a wife beater, is a must. Even if a gun is not stippled or taped an undershirt is a good idea.

For those that don't know. A stipple job done correctly is less aggressive than grip tape. If your gun feels like a cheese grater after a stipple job, then you did it wrong. You just want a little bit of texture that is even across the entire surface of the grip frame.

Vash1023
06-09-13, 11:03

my biggest issue is it drastically slows down my draw times.

shirts and jackets will get caught on the stippling and make my draw
5x more difficult.

G19 Driver
06-09-13, 11:12

5x more difficult.

I have not noticed that problem. All I have noticed is improvement in every area. I generally carry with a untucked polo or Hawiian style shirt. My draw time has not slowed down at all with a gun that is stippled correctly. My consistancy on my presentation has slightly gotten better wich will result in a slightly faster draw time due to added confidence alone. Granted I just stipple this gun two days ago, but I have 600 rounds on it so far. Overal I would say if done correctly its an improvement and not a hinderance in any way.

gun71530
06-09-13, 16:11

5x more difficult.

I have yet to ever have this problem, and I carry AIWB.

Vash1023
06-09-13, 16:34
I have yet to ever have this problem, and I carry AIWB.

Be more like G19 driver and try and actually contribute to the conversation, not just dismiss others.

Thanks

G19 Driver
06-09-13, 17:33
Appendix carry has its merits and is one of the preferred ways to carry a sidearm. The gun is on your center line, and its popularity has exploded in the last five years. People have to be willing to try something and try and make it work. If we are not willing to do that then we will never evolve. We would all be stuck doing the Cooper way of doing things. Not that there is anything wrong with that, I'm just saying we have to evolve to be better. Most times that takes an open mind. In the past an open mind in our arena was rare. Instructors were hard headed and they were right about everything because they said so. That's not the case today.

If a stippled gun hinders your draw from concealment carrying appendix then don't try it if its not something that is important to you. When I stippled my gun I was not going for a look. I was going for function. I really had no experience in how to do it. I did have a knowledge of what I wanted out of it. I wanted a texture that was better than stock, but not as aggressive as grip tape. I was fortunate that it came out looking good. My opinion is that if a gun is stippled correctly then it's not going to be a problem. Getting your hands on a DIY stippled gun is easy. Getting your hands on one that is done correctly is not so easy. I have personally seen examples that were so rough that I could scale fish or shuck corn with the gun.

I think if you tried mine you may like it. In the end not going that route is not holding anyone back. To me it's something I have thought about for a while so I had to try it. Now that I have, I prefer it for polymer framed guns that are lacking adequate traction.

morpheus6d9
06-09-13, 19:48
I love appendix carry it made lose weight :thumbup:

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

G19 Driver
06-09-13, 19:51
I love appendix carry it made lose weight :thumbup:

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
That's called dedication. Wanting to carry that way so bad that you did a lifestyle change. I love it.

For me I like women thinking I'm hot so I shed some pounds and got a tan. Now I know that it gives me more options for carrying a weapon so I guess I'm well rounded and have options open to me.

Thanks for the laugh.