PDA

View Full Version : When should the National Anthem be played at public events?

Nightvisionary
06-09-13, 02:20
I attended my daughters high school graduation yesterday. It was held outdoors on the school football field. At the beginning of the event the school Principal announced a color guard would be presenting the National and State flags.

The uniformed color guard consisting of a National guardsman and two local police officers marched out as thousands in the stands watched. I stood at attention and was expecting the National Anthem to begin. It never did. They marched out in silence, delivered the flags to each side of the stage and departed. I thought WTF was that. Is that standard etiquette?

AKDoug
06-09-13, 02:59
Two of our students sung the National Anthem at my daughter's graduation this year. It is sung by students every year at our school's graduation.

I was a member of the color guard of our AFROTC unit in college. We presented the colors multiple times where the Anthem or Pledge were never conducted. There was nothing in our handbook that said the pledge or anthem had to be performed. This is one copy of the handbook I could find. http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/images/hgguide.pdf

randolph
06-09-13, 07:17
I sat thru Graduation @ Houston ISD last night.
we did the pledge of allegiance to the US flag and Texas flag.
we did the National Anthem.
I was actually surprised.

Eurodriver
06-09-13, 10:14
They stopped doing the national anthem at my high school about 10 years ago because too many parents complained that it shouldn't be the school's job to indoctrinate patriotism among kids.

Not just for graduation - everything. Baseball games. Football games. You name it.

3 AE
06-09-13, 15:22
They stopped doing the national anthem at my high school about 10 years ago because too many parents complained that it shouldn't be the school's job to indoctrinate patriotism among kids.

Not just for graduation - everything. Baseball games. Football games. You name it.

:cray: I can only guess that those parents consider anything that represents respect, and tradition to recognize our past and our present as "indoctrination". Thank goodness this hasn't happened at the professional sports level. I still get goosebumps when I hear it played and the fans are singing it.