PDA

View Full Version : Precision AR

RiflesRock
06-09-13, 15:13
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa10/ImaShooter/PrecisionAR/Precision_AR_DPMS_Vortex2_zps55d2a272.jpg (http://s201.photobucket.com/user/ImaShooter/media/PrecisionAR/Precision_AR_DPMS_Vortex2_zps55d2a272.jpg.html)
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa10/ImaShooter/PrecisionAR/Precision_AR_DPMS_Vortex3_zpse3dd0d1f.jpg (http://s201.photobucket.com/user/ImaShooter/media/PrecisionAR/Precision_AR_DPMS_Vortex3_zpse3dd0d1f.jpg.html)
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa10/ImaShooter/PrecisionAR/Precision_AR_DPMS_Vortex_zpscf5a3fbb.jpg (http://s201.photobucket.com/user/ImaShooter/media/PrecisionAR/Precision_AR_DPMS_Vortex_zpscf5a3fbb.jpg.html)

First bare receiver build. Just swapped in a lapped DPMS Lo-Pro upper for a standard upper to increase stiffness, have not had it out to the range in the new configuration yet. Also swapped the scope from a Bushnell 4-14x to a new Vortex Viper PST 6-24x FFP MRAD.

Interesting parts:
18" Mike Rock SPR barrel w/Miculek comp
Geissele SD-E trigger
Stark SE-1 grip
RRA chrome bcg
Trijicon-branded Bobro QD scope mount
Troy VTAC Alpha 15" free float tube
Accu-Shot monopod
Harris bipod

Needs some sort of extended safety selector so I can reach it comfortably using the Stark, otherwise I am quite happy. Shooting Federal GMM 69gr currently because that is what I have. I was shooting about 1.5MOA with the standard upper, not sure how much was me and how much was the gun. Hoping to get under 1MOA and then see how far out I can take it while maintaining that.

Arnie
aka
rifles.rock@gmail.com

ShootinRN
06-09-13, 20:37
I just built a precision rifle with that same rail, I love how it feels. Good luck with it!

B215R
06-13-13, 20:57
How do you like the Miculek comp?

RiflesRock
06-13-13, 21:40
How do you like the Miculek comp?

I like it a lot. It is the only one I have ever had, so I have nothing to compare it to, but without the comp I had a lot of movement in the rifle when it was fired, and now there is very little. It does what it is supposed to do, it was cheap, it is easy to install and adjust with the jam nut, what else is there?

RiflesRock
06-13-13, 23:13
That might be a nice rifle, but I believe I would be better served by buying a $1,000 rifle and $1,600 worth of ammunition.

I just added up what I have spent on parts, and the rifle, without the scope and mount or the red dot and mount, has cost me about $1500. This is my only rifle, other than some 22LRs I have, and I built it from scratch, starting with the receiver 5 years ago. My timetable was accelerated somewhat when I was diagnosed with Parkinson's 3 years ago, and recently I decided I was going to finish it and get on with shooting it, because my time to do so is limited. I don't know how long I will be able to do it, but I have enjoyed building it, and I am enjoying even more getting to shoot it.

I am learning to shoot it well, with a plan of shooting at long range. I don't know if it is capable of the accuracy needed for that. I don't know if *I* am capable. I have had a lot of fun getting to this point. I hope to have even more fun with it as long as I am able. Buying a rifle is cool. Building a rifle has been even better. Shooting a rifle that I built, well, that provides a level of satisfaction I can't verbalize. This is MY rifle, in a way that a rifle off the shelf could never be.

I'm happy with my choices. Other people would have done things differently. My best friend would have built a carbine. I borrowed some parts and built this one as a carbine. I didn't like it. I tore it down and rebuilt it as a precision rifle. A few changes later, I have it as you see it now. I like it. You don't have to.

Arnie

wetidlerjr
06-14-13, 03:08
Looks good. I like the scope lever as I use them myself. You can't beat the cost.
I'm curious as to the mounting of the secondary sight on a long range rifle.

T2C
06-14-13, 09:09
I just added up what I have spent on parts, and the rifle, without the scope and mount or the red dot and mount, has cost me about $1500. This is my only rifle, other than some 22LRs I have, and I built it from scratch, starting with the receiver 5 years ago. My timetable was accelerated somewhat when I was diagnosed with Parkinson's 3 years ago, and recently I decided I was going to finish it and get on with shooting it, because my time to do so is limited. I don't know how long I will be able to do it, but I have enjoyed building it, and I am enjoying even more getting to shoot it.

I am learning to shoot it well, with a plan of shooting at long range. I don't know if it is capable of the accuracy needed for that. I don't know if *I* am capable. I have had a lot of fun getting to this point. I hope to have even more fun with it as long as I am able. Buying a rifle is cool. Building a rifle has been even better. Shooting a rifle that I built, well, that provides a level of satisfaction I can't verbalize. This is MY rifle, in a way that a rifle off the shelf could never be.

I'm happy with my choices. Other people would have done things differently. My best friend would have built a carbine. I borrowed some parts and built this one as a carbine. I didn't like it. I tore it down and rebuilt it as a precision rifle. A few changes later, I have it as you see it now. I like it. You don't have to.

Arnie

My comment you quoted in Post # 5 was posted on another thread. I have no idea how it wound up on your thread.

You may see better accuracy when the barrel wears in a little bit.

You might ask other people who use the same muzzle brake what kind of accuracy they are seeing. I had a carbine with a Wilson muzzle brake. When I removed the brake and installed a standard flash hider my groups went from 1.5" to 1" at 100 meters. You may have to trade a little accuracy for the benefits of the brake.

steyrman13
06-14-13, 09:17
My comment was posted on another thread. I have no idea how it wound up on your thread.

You might ask other people who use the same muzzle brake what kind of accuracy they are seeing. I had a carbine with a Wilson muzzle brake. When I removed the brake and installed a standard flash hider my groups went from 1.5" to 1" at 100 meters. You may have to trade a little accuracy for the benefits of the brake.

I was wondering where that comment came from? It didn't really FIT/make sense in this thread. That's the comment you were looking for int he WC Howe rifle thread that you were asking the Mods in Approve my post thread...at least it has been found where it went!

T2C
06-14-13, 09:23
I was wondering where that comment came from? It didn't really FIT/make sense in this thread. That's the comment you were looking for int he WC Howe rifle thread that you were asking the Mods in Approve my post thread...at least it has been found where it went!

Yes sir. That's it. I deleted it from this thread.

RiflesRock
06-14-13, 10:00
Looks good. I like the scope lever as I use them myself. You can't beat the cost.
I'm curious as to the mounting of the secondary sight on a long range rifle.

It is there because the rifle can also be used for home defense. Since my tremor manifested, I have found it easier to keep the rifle steady than to steady my Glock. I added the dot and a flashlight mount so the rifle is prepared to serve as my primary home defense weapon. The flashlight mounts to a rail on the left side that is not visible in these pictures. I store it at home with the light mounted, but I remove it when I take the gun out to the range.

The original idea was to have a rifle that could do everything, as I was only going to have one. With a 6x low end on the scope, if I had the rifle in real combat, the dot would be for short range. It is easily mounted and removed, so if I need to take it off for competition or something, that is quick and painless.

steyrman13
06-14-13, 10:05
What was your reasoning behind the Stark grip if it forces you to use an extended selector lever?

RiflesRock
06-14-13, 10:28
My comment you quoted in Post # 5 was posted on another thread. I have no idea how it wound up on your thread.

I thought that the comment was a little strange, thanks for clearing that up. :)

I had an A2 birdcage on it originally. Group size at that point was more like a shotgun pattern than a rifle group, but as I had not been shooting for 3 years, there was no way to tell whether it was the rifle. Now that I am getting better, taking the brake off might tell me something. You make a good point, and I will keep it in mind.

RiflesRock
06-14-13, 10:37
What was your reasoning behind the Stark grip if it forces you to use an extended selector lever?

The Stark is more vertical than most other grips, which I like, and it moves my hand back in relation to the trigger. As I have long fingers, I have always found the reach to the trigger too short on the AR platform. Between the straight trigger and the Stark, my trigger finger is perfectly placed. The trade off is that it is difficult to get enough leverage to click the safety off. Something like a BAD lever will probably give my the right geometry to get the leverage I need without extending things any further. My thumb reaches the lever, but I cannot generate quite enough force to move it without slightly changing my grip. The width of the BAD selector lever seems like it will give my thumb the right angle. I don't have any other selectors to try right now, but I am sure I can find something that works better than the stock lever without going to extremes.

steyrman13
06-14-13, 10:56
The Stark is more vertical than most other grips, which I like, and it moves my hand back in relation to the trigger. As I have long fingers, I have always found the reach to the trigger too short on the AR platform. Between the straight trigger and the Stark, my trigger finger is perfectly placed. The trade off is that it is difficult to get enough leverage to click the safety off. Something like a BAD lever will probably give my the right geometry to get the leverage I need without extending things any further. My thumb reaches the lever, but I cannot generate quite enough force to move it without slightly changing my grip. The width of the BAD selector lever seems like it will give my thumb the right angle. I don't have any other selectors to try right now, but I am sure I can find something that works better than the stock lever without going to extremes.
Gotcha. If it wasn't for the Long fingers a BCM grip has the vertical stance you are looking for but would be a short pull length

Nka727
06-19-13, 13:55
Didn't want to try out a Magpul stock?

RiflesRock
06-19-13, 14:01
Didn't want to try out a Magpul stock?

I certainly thought about it. However, I had this A2 stock around, and after adding the recoil pad, it is just about perfect. I don't need adjustable, as long as it fits, and this one does. If I decide that this is not sufficient, I'm sure I will end up with a PRS.

LOBO
06-24-13, 12:08
Looks good! Have you stretched it out yet?

narcedglocker
06-24-13, 15:36
how much that barrel set you back? and where did you get it?

MistWolf
06-24-13, 21:44
If a muzzle device is installed with too much torque, it will distort the rifling and cause accuracy problems. Serious competitors use a bare muzzle where they can. Those that do use muzzle devices install them with as little torque as practical

ChetPunisher
07-06-13, 10:13
Umbrella is making an almost vertical grip. FYI

Hinterland
07-25-13, 19:00
How do you like your SD-E?