PDA

View Full Version : Richard Ramirez Dead: The Absurdity of Death Row...

SteyrAUG
06-09-13, 18:12
http://articles.latimes.com/2013/jun/07/local/la-me-0608-nightstalker-memories-20130608

Sentenced to death back in 1989, Ramirez died Friday morning of liver failure at the age of 53.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Ramirez

His highly publicized home invasion crime spree terrorized the residents of the greater Los Angeles area from April 1984 until August 1985. Prior to his capture, Ramirez was dubbed the "Night Stalker" by the news media. Ramirez, who was an avowed Satanist, never expressed any remorse for his crimes. The judge who upheld his death sentence remarked that Ramirez's deeds exhibited "cruelty, callousness, and viciousness beyond any human understanding.

This is one of the few cases where the convicted killer was 100% "the guy" and there wasn't any doubt at all. Sadly most of these types will keep up the hustle until the very end either by pleading their innocence or shifting true responsibility to influences such as Playboy magazine (like Ted Bundy tried), video games, rap music, the neighbors dog or divine instructions from God.

To have a serial killer responsible for the brutal deaths of at least 13 people, and a host of other violent crimes, LIVE on death row for almost 25 years is simply offensive.

His victims ranged in age from 9 to 83. The details of his crimes are reprehensible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Ramirez#.22Night_Stalker.22_crimes

On August 7, 2006 his first round of state appeals ended unsuccessfully when the California Supreme Court upheld his convictions and death sentence. On September 7, 2006, the California Supreme Court denied his request for a rehearing. Ramirez had appeals pending until the time of his death.

If I was going to be a serial killer, I'd move to California.

SeriousStudent
06-09-13, 19:36
........ Ramirez, who was an avowed Satanist, never expressed any remorse for his crimes. ......

How nice, he finally gets the vacation of his dreams.

Enjoy your stay there, Richard.

Safetyhit
06-09-13, 20:44
I hope we are the only civilized nation foolish enough to give our blatantly guilty of horrendous murders 24 years or more to live at their victimized population's expense.

jpmuscle
06-09-13, 20:47
I hope we are the only civilized nation foolish enough to give our blatantly guilty of horrendous murders 24 years or more to live at their victimized population's expense.

Did you see what happened in Norway?

CoryCop25
06-09-13, 21:09
If I was going to be a serial killer, I'd move to California.

Or Pennsylvania....

Google: Martin Apple bank robbery....
Link.... http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/gangsters_outlaws/cops_others/martin_appel/1_index.html

SteyrAUG
06-09-13, 21:17
How nice, he finally gets the vacation of his dreams.

Enjoy your stay there, Richard.

Ironically most "satanists" don't believe satan exists nor do they believe there is a heaven or hell. Not sure which category of "satanist" Ramirez subscribed to.

SeriousStudent
06-09-13, 21:32
Probably the "I like to be different and cool and piss people off because I know it gets a rise out of them" Satanist.

His religious choices honestly make not one bit of difference to me. I'm just glad there is no longer a possibility of his ever getting loose again.

Sensei
06-09-13, 22:44
http://articles.latimes.com/2013/jun/07/local/la-me-0608-nightstalker-memories-20130608

Sentenced to death back in 1989, Ramirez died Friday morning of liver failure at the age of 53.

It would not surprise me in the least to learn that he was on a transplant list before his death...

The_War_Wagon
06-09-13, 23:06
What? CA didn't jump him AHEAD of the little girl in PA for a transplant?!?! :rolleyes:

yellowfin
06-09-13, 23:07
I'm surprised someone didn't take him out long ago. Aren't maniacs like that usually targeted in prison by other inmates?

J8127
06-09-13, 23:09
This is why I'm against the death penalty because I think life in prison is worse and it is more expensive than life sentences.

I'd also rather let every prisoner in the country free than keep a single innocent person there.

That's why I have guns.

Sensei
06-09-13, 23:17
This is why I'm against the death penalty because I think life in prison is worse and it is more expensive than life sentences.

I'd also rather let every prisoner in the country free than keep a single innocent person there.

That's why I have guns.

I guess this means that you are against incarceration since I'm sure there is at least 1 innocent person being incarcerated in every state.

Sensei
06-09-13, 23:20
What? CA didn't jump him AHEAD of the little girl in PA for a transplant?!?! :rolleyes:

Only because she needed lungs - not a liver.

Magic_Salad0892
06-09-13, 23:30
Ironically most "satanists" don't believe satan exists nor do they believe there is a heaven or hell. Not sure which category of "satanist" Ramirez subscribed to.

I love it when people get it right for once.

J8127
06-09-13, 23:41
I guess this means that you are against incarceration since I'm sure there is at least 1 innocent person being incarcerated in every state.

That's a bit of a leap.

SteyrAUG
06-09-13, 23:56
Probably the "I like to be different and cool and piss people off because I know it gets a rise out of them" Satanist.

His religious choices honestly make not one bit of difference to me. I'm just glad there is no longer a possibility of his ever getting loose again.

That seems to be the most common variety. I've only met a handful that even know what LeVay satanism is. Many profess to be what would be correctly termed "theistic satanists" but have absolutely no idea what that means, requires or entails.

Most are the asshole variety you noted aka "casual satanism." Like you I'm just glad he's finally gone, no thanks to the efforts of the State of California.

I can only imagine the frustration and anger the families of the victims must feel at his escaping his sentence.

SteyrAUG
06-09-13, 23:57
I'm surprised someone didn't take him out long ago. Aren't maniacs like that usually targeted in prison by other inmates?

I don't think anyone serving with the like of Ramirez is going to be dependable for "doing what is right."

SeriousStudent
06-10-13, 00:00
That seems to be the most common variety. I've only met a handful that even know what LeVay satanism is. Many profess to be what would be correctly termed "theistic satanists" but have absolutely no idea what that means, requires or entails.

Most are the asshole variety you noted aka "casual satanism." Like you I'm just glad he's finally gone, no thanks to the efforts of the State of California.

I can only imagine the frustration and anger the families of the victims must feel at his escaping his sentence.

You'd be correct. I knew one of his victims.

SteyrAUG
06-10-13, 00:00

That's why I have guns.

While life in prison might be "worse than death" to you and I, don't kid yourself, to many lifers it is no worse than the average guy working for a living and paying rent for his crappy apartment. The worst of the worst truly thrive there in some cases.

SteyrAUG
06-10-13, 00:08
You'd be correct. I knew one of his victims.

I have friends who lost friends in Gainesville. Thankfully we eventually killed Rolling after 15 years.

Moose-Knuckle
06-10-13, 03:19

Well you see the way the death penalty is supposed to work is that the convicted are executed promptly after sentencing, rope is very inexpensive.

And I would rather have every prisoner in the country be purged from our society so a.) they cannot harm anyone else and b.) save the tax payers billions.

That's why I have guns.

This logic is flawed, that is unless of course you can piggy back on DHS ammunition procurement contracts.

Safetyhit
06-10-13, 07:25

That's why I have guns.

Life in prison is not at all worse than death to many who have adapted to their new lives and simply don't want to die. As you state you're perceiving the scenario to suit your personal feelings.

And even the one innocent guy would probably rather wait it out in jail than be released into a society infiltrated with countless murderers and rapists, even if just for the good of those around him. I know I would.

The_War_Wagon
06-10-13, 08:10
Only because she needed lungs - not a liver.

And that's the ONLY reason... :o

trinydex
06-10-13, 14:13

lulz. i hate the world. mainly because something like that is actually likely to happen at some point.

trinydex
06-10-13, 14:19
i don't understand why people are against capital punishment. to the extent that they create these pieces of legislation that don't ban it, but then essentially nullify it.

i heard an advertisement last year around election time from the guy that drafted the death penalty legislation for california. he was saying how it was the biggest mistake. people don't end up getting executed. it costs california so much money, etc. please vote to eliminate the death penalty

i have to wonder if he was just a guy that was against the death penalty and drafted legislation that would neuter the death penalty.

why isn't the public allowed to seek justice to the fullest extent of the law? why do people feel like capital punishment is "vengence." it's within the scope of the law. it is the the people seeking justice.

the legal system is supposed to disincentivize behavior that is seen by the people as unacceptable. in the most extreme cases the legal system is to remove the worst offenders from society. in cases where there is no rehabilitation, or rehabilitation is not the purpose of the punishment, why keep them around?

SteyrAUG
06-10-13, 15:27
i don't understand why people are against capital punishment. to the extent that they create these pieces of legislation that don't ban it, but then essentially nullify it.

i heard an advertisement last year around election time from the guy that drafted the death penalty legislation for california. he was saying how it was the biggest mistake. people don't end up getting executed. it costs california so much money, etc. please vote to eliminate the death penalty

i have to wonder if he was just a guy that was against the death penalty and drafted legislation that would neuter the death penalty.

why isn't the public allowed to seek justice to the fullest extent of the law? why do people feel like capital punishment is "vengence." it's within the scope of the law. it is the the people seeking justice.

the legal system is supposed to disincentivize behavior that is seen by the people as unacceptable. in the most extreme cases the legal system is to remove the worst offenders from society. in cases where there is no rehabilitation, or rehabilitation is not the purpose of the punishment, why keep them around?

Two factions at play.

1. The religious faction that at a fundamental level thinks nobody has the right to kill anyone. "Vengeance is mine" and so forth up to and including religious pacifists unwilling to resist to save even their own lives or the lives of others as in the Amish School shooting because everything is "God's will."

2. Leftists liberals oppose the death penalty apparently on the grounds that it could happen to them.

skydivr
06-10-13, 22:45
It's a travesty he lived this long, unless he got woken up ever day for the families of his victims to beat him to a pulp every day...my kid, I'd be out front, every morning...