PDA

View Full Version : Quality upgrades

cthompson36
06-10-13, 13:15
Hey guys, now that I have a job I got a new upper for my PSA complete lower. I have a Blackhawk stock and grip and a ALG ACT in an otherwise stock PSA lower, BCM 16" upper with Troy VTAC 13" handguard, magpul sights, Nikon scope, PSA BCG and a BCM charging handle. I think its a fairly quality gun now but I was wondering if there were any weak spots in my gun. I'm trying to build the "best" gun I can. I know I need a sling, bipod, and maybe a hand stop. So are there any things in my gun that I would be well served upgrading and what are some good slings, bipods, and handstops/ VFG's? Thanks guys

Obscenejesster
06-10-13, 14:15
I know it comes down to personal preference but I hated the VFG. It just didn't feel right.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

jklaughrey
06-10-13, 14:19
Hey guys, now that I have a job I got a new upper for my PSA complete lower. I have a Blackhawk stock and grip and a ALG ACT in an otherwise stock PSA lower, BCM 16" upper with Troy VTAC 13" handguard, magpul sights, Nikon scope, PSA BCG and a BCM charging handle. I think its a fairly quality gun now but I was wondering if there were any weak spots in my gun. I'm trying to build the "best" gun I can. I know I need a sling, bipod, and maybe a hand stop. So are there any things in my gun that I would be well served upgrading and what are some good slings, bipods, and handstops/ VFG's? Thanks guys

While you are at it don't forget the Swiss army knife, blender, and coat rack.

Just go shoot the gun before you start hanging more shit on it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

tamabrand
06-10-13, 14:32
Ammo, mags, vickers sling. As already stated, shoot it. Look for a class from a reputable instructor.

crosseyedshooter
06-10-13, 15:08
I'm just a hobbyist, so take my opinion for what it's worth (nil). In general, bipods and forward grips have competing purposes. One is for platform stability in long(er) range shooting while the other is for maneuverability and control in a tight environment. Getting too much stuff mounted before actually shooting your rifle and understanding what works for you is like throwing money away.

If you plan to use your rifle for multiple purposes, then I'd suggest a QD for your bipod. Keep in mind that a VFG may interfere with your bipod or touch the ground/bench.

I'm sure we all wish we could shoot more than we do, so the advice about spending money on ammo and shooting classes is always a good reminder.

cthompson36
06-10-13, 15:25
well i switch off between bipod for further range and a vfg for a handstop on the AR I already own, but both are cheap. I'm not going to war so i dont mind using a swivel stud for the bipod and all. All I was asking was what are some upgrades (internally) to make it more reliable or accurate, and what are good brands to look at for the bipod/ grip/ and sling. I havent been home yet to see if my new rail has a QD attatchment but i know the stock does

cthompson36
06-10-13, 15:26
and as far as the go shoot before i hang shit off it goes, I already had an AR and i know what works for me but i went fairly cheap on it and this time around I want a little better ya know?

JonnyVain
06-10-13, 15:37
The Magpul MVG (VFG) might bolt directly onto the bottom of your tube without putting on a rail section. Maybe someone else here can confirm.

IMO, buy a VFG first. If you only end up using it as a handstop, you can swap it out. But you can't use a handstop as a VFG.

Maybe should have went with a BCM BCG.

Nikon isn't the "best" scope. But you probably mean best within reason, not $10,000 nightforce.

With A Nikon scope, I'd ditch the Magpul sights and get Troy flips.

cthompson36
06-10-13, 15:44
that sounds like a good idea with the VFG. whats the reasoning for the changing sights? I got the magpuls because they lay pretty low and were fairly cheap since i use them strictly as back-up, for if like my scope shits out. I may update the scope down the road but I dont want to spend a ton on a scope with the amount i shoot

PAWs 21
06-10-13, 15:56
Get a quality light w/ mount, Inforce, surefire etc.

C4IGrant
06-10-13, 16:13

Ditch the bipod (unless varmint hunting). I would ditch any and all BH items as well.

Last, but not least training. Spend the extra money on learning how to shoot!

C4

Obscenejesster
06-10-13, 16:16
For the sling, check out the Blue Force Vickers (VCAS) and the Vikings Tactical Sling (VTAC). They are both good quality slings.

cthompson36
06-10-13, 16:59
i dont use it for defense so a light isnt really necessary for me. by BH do you mean blackhawk? I'm thinking about getting a magpul stock or something but I like their grip because it fits my hand nicely. I'm looking into those slings but I wont get one until i can get home and see what my rail has on it. thanks for the help guys. Are there any things you guys seem to like internal wise?

cthompson36
06-10-13, 17:02
If i do end up needing a QD for my rail what are some good ones? I assume DD is a good choice but any others?

JonnyVain
06-10-13, 17:17
If i do end up needing a QD for my rail what are some good ones? I assume DD is a good choice but any others?

Same with the MVG I told you about, Magpul makes an MOE qd mount for their MOE handguard. Again, it may or may not work. You could email them and ask.

There's nothing else internal right now. Eventually you might decide to upgrade to a heavier buffer.

cthompson36
06-10-13, 17:28
alright cool thanks guys i guess il just look into some of these things

MistWolf
06-10-13, 21:19
Internally, I would pull the FCG out, clean it and apply heavy grease to the sears, pivot points and the bottom curve of the hammer and re-install. It will take away nearly all of the gritty feeling and give a more consistent pull

Obscenejesster
06-10-13, 21:55
Internally, I would pull the FCG out, clean it and apply heavy grease to the sears, pivot points and the bottom curve of the hammer and re-install. It will take away nearly all of the gritty feeling and give a more consistent pull

I haven't felt a gritty ALG yet and that's what the OP has. Very consistent pull and a short reset as well. They don't feel as good as a $300 Geissele but they cost a fraction of the price.

tbaker
06-11-13, 00:09
OP, out of curiosity was the upper a recent purchase? Just curious as to why you didn't get a BCM bcg to go along with the upper, since it is an option when purchasing from bravo company's site. Not saying the PSA is a terrible choice, there are worse, just wondering. My 2 cents on the BCG, depending when you got it and from what batch/options PSA had to offer, you may want to just check the staking and other details of the bcg.

crosseyedshooter
06-11-13, 02:08

LaRue, American Defense, GG&G are a few.

Tzed250
06-11-13, 03:28

Check out Impact Weapons Components(site sponsor). They have a wide assortment of QD mounts.

Shiz
06-11-13, 11:21
IMO

Keep it simple. A good red dot, sling, and mags, and get some training. Remember, training is quite different than practice. Training is learning the skill, practice only reinforces training. There are some relatively inexpensive training all over. After you start to learn how to use the weapon, you will know what you need more.

cthompson36
06-11-13, 19:26
I'm just a plinker so training doesn't seem necessary. I'm not going to war unless dirt clods are the enemy. I had a spare PSA BCG sitting around so i decided to save the 200$ and use that for now and maybe upgrade later on. I'll look into those mounts and see what strikes me as the best deal. Thanks a lot guys, I think this will be a pretty solid rifle when it all comes together.

MistWolf
06-11-13, 19:44
I haven't felt a gritty ALG yet and that's what the OP has. Very consistent pull and a short reset as well. They don't feel as good as a $300 Geissele but they cost a fraction of the price.

and it will feel even better lubed. No doubt the ALG is a good trigger and for what they sell for, a screaming deal. But lubing the FCG is the single best bang for the buck improvement to the AR trigger, whether it's a lowly standard original or a high end Geisselle. I'm not disagreeing with you but there's a good reason G triggers come with a little tube of grease

cthompson36
06-11-13, 20:21
as far as grease goes would i be better served using normal gun lube or maybe a dry graphite lube for it?

Tzed250
06-11-13, 20:39
Here is the ACT instruction set with lube diagram.

http://www.algdefense.com/include/pdf/ALG-ACT-Instructions.pdf

crosseyedshooter
06-11-13, 21:08
I just recently installed the ACT and it definitely feels better lubed up. The dry lube treatment on the parts makes the trigger more consistent between lubrication but wet lube definitely improves the feel.

cthompson36
06-11-13, 21:31
okay cool, i printed off that diagram and instructions. so would like frog lube or hoppes lube be good options then?

MistWolf
06-11-13, 21:32
as far as grease goes would i be better served using normal gun lube or maybe a dry graphite lube for it?

Graphite can make aluminum (and titanium) brittle.

Oil is better than running the FCG dry, but it's thin and evaporates faster. Grease has a higher film strength and is better for high pressure applications such as the sear surfaces of a FCG

cthompson36
06-11-13, 21:33
so would like garage door grease be better then? that shits really greasy

Samson1
06-11-13, 21:42
okay cool, i printed off that diagram and instructions. so would like frog lube or hoppes lube be good options then?

i used froglube on my dd trigger and it made a huge positive difference. and i LOVED my dd trigger to begin with. i read the ALG lube recommendations and followed them and boy am i glad i did. i suppose any good firearm grease would be good though. i chose froglube because i have lots of it and it doesn't migrate.ymmv

cthompson36
06-11-13, 21:45
okay il try frog lube then. ive been impressed with it so far so i doubt it will let me down here

C4IGrant
06-12-13, 08:16
Best grease I have found: http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=GREAS

C4

crosseyedshooter
06-12-13, 10:41
Wow, only a buck! Surprisingly reasonable compared to what I've seen with other industries repackaging bulk grease. I'll have to get myself some Geissele trigger grease next time I'm ordering from G&R.

Best grease I have found: http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=GREAS
C4