PDA

View Full Version : New here... here are my last thre builds.

an0nym0us
06-10-13, 14:32
Critique them please.

http://i.imgur.com/tadQLb1h.jpg?1

Top rifle: "Betsy" my girlfriend's AR
* Stag stripped lower receiver
* CMMG Lower Parts Kit
* Spike's Tactical T2 buffer
* Rguns M16 BCG HP/MPI tested, Chrome-lined
* Diamondhead V-RS T 15" Free Float handguard
* 16" Green Mountain Lightweight, Fluted, 5.56 NATO, 1/7" twist barrel, phosphate, Chrome-lined
* Troy Low-Profile Gas Block
* JP Enterprises Bennie Cooley Compensator
* EOTech 512
* Magpul STR Stock, MOE+ grip, MBUS F&R, BAD, ASAP
* Knights Armament Trigger Guard, Ambidextrous Safety

Bottom Rifle: My CMMG M4 LE
* 16" M4 profile barrel, 5.56 NATO, 1/9" twist rate, WASP coated
* CMMG M16 BCG
* KNS Anti-rotation pins
* Knight's Armament Ambi-safety
* American Defense Recon 30mm cantilever mount
* Leupold VX-R Zombie 1.25-4x20
* Magpul ACS-L, MOE+ grip, MOE handguard, VFG, BAD, ASAP, Enhanced Trigger Guard, MBUS Rear Sight

Bonus Picture of Betsy:

http://i.imgur.com/0Rtu39Nh.jpg?1

Segunda enmienda pistola aka Stag 2nd Amendment Pistol:

http://i.imgur.com/uOO7I2Th.jpg

* Stag 2nd Amendment Lower
* CMMG LPK
* PWS Pistol Tube with QD mounts
* Knight's Armament Trigger Guard (not shown)
* KNS Anti-rotation Pins
* Stag 11.5" SBR upper, 5.56 NATO, 1/7" twist rate, chrome lined, heavy barrel
* Stag M16 HP/MPI tested BCG, chrome-lined
* Midwest Industries 12" Quad-rail
* Houston Armory Stainless Steel low-profile gas block
* Troy Claymore muzzle brake
* ARMS BUIS F&R
* Magpul MOE Grip, AFGII

Please critique or comment on these builds. I'm particularly proud of Betsy as it was the first one I built from bare receivers. The rest are store bought uppers that were modified. The CMMG M4 LE will get a quad rail or free floating handguard soon... thinking of the 15" Seekins Precision SP3R, just not sure yet. I hope to make the 2nd Amendment pistol into an SBR as well, as soon as I get my trust written up.

wahoo95
06-10-13, 15:10
Why the 15" handguard paired with lightweight barrel for the girlfriends rifle?

an0nym0us
06-11-13, 04:37
Why the 15" handguard paired with lightweight barrel for the girlfriends rifle?

A couple of reasons actually... I wanted a full length handguard for the look as well as the versatility of being able to add a light, bipod or hand stop to suit her needs. I've found a different carbon fiber one that might suit her needs a bit better, but I'm concerned that the JP Enterprises Compensator might spit a lot of carbon/unburnt gas on it and ruin a $240 handguard.

The barrel was actually used because I couldn't find a standard M4 barrel... it groups very well and weighs less so I'm pretty happy with it. I've got several AR platform guns so if I decide to change something up, I can always switch things around.

polymorpheous
06-11-13, 05:03
Do you research any of the parts you used?

Col_Crocs
06-11-13, 05:20
^not sure... Probably not

an0nym0us
06-11-13, 05:58
Do you research any of the parts you used?

Yes, why do you ask?

^not sure... Probably not

Quick to judge, are we?

Iraqgunz
06-14-13, 04:59
From what I can tell you simply cobbled parts together as you got them. Mixing good stuff with garbage. KNS pins are a waste of time and money and I would pull them off and sell them. I would also get rid of the fire control groups and replace them with ALG stuff. I would not use a Stag barrel for an SBR. That AR pistol was a waste of time and resources and I would have taken that time and money to make the others right from the get go.

wahoo95
06-14-13, 06:03
A couple of reasons actually... I wanted a full length handguard for the look as well as the versatility of being able to add a light, bipod or hand stop to suit her needs. I've found a different carbon fiber one that might suit her needs a bit better, but I'm concerned that the JP Enterprises Compensator might spit a lot of carbon/unburnt gas on it and ruin a $240 handguard.

The barrel was actually used because I couldn't find a standard M4 barrel... it groups very well and weighs less so I'm pretty happy with it. I've got several AR platform guns so if I decide to change something up, I can always switch things around.

I asked because typically the issue I find with most female shooters is that they don't have as much upper body strength making handling a shouldered rifle more difficult. The solution to that is reducing as much weight forward the magwell as possible. You picked a LW barrel but then added an extra long handguard which counters the reason for going LW on the barrel for a female shooter. Additionally the longer handguard affects the center of balance which will make the rifle feel/handle muzzle heavy.....especially if you go adding lights, bipod, to it.
Hey its your build and the cool thing about these is that we can personalize them. I just thought I'd pass along a few things I've learned while building rifles for female and youth shooters.

ScatmanCrothers
06-14-13, 07:38
Quick to judge, are we?

You asked to hear critiques on your rifles that are made up of a majority of low quality parts. Its evident you built three rifles with what you could find during the shortage as quickly as possible instead of waiting, researching, and buying quality when it came available. Now that the ban talks have cooled I'd scrap two of those and make one of them right, then go from there.

Nka727
06-19-13, 15:59
They're serviceable. I would be upset if I were you and paid a ton of money, but if you were able to find good deals I see no reason to second guess what you built. If you only go out shooting for fun and aren't worried about MOA I don't see any reason to care about what it is as long as it goes bang.

Failure2Stop
06-19-13, 20:14
They're serviceable. I would be upset if I were you and paid a ton of money, but if you were able to find good deals I see no reason to second guess what you built. If you only go out shooting for fun and aren't worried about MOA I don't see any reason to care about what it is as long as it goes bang.

The guy asked for a critique from a forum that is known for members that know about the technical aspects of the firearm as well as higher level use of said firearms, and that's what he got.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.