PDA

View Full Version : Average weight of an AR15 M4

BlkDragon
06-10-13, 15:05
What is the acceptable average weight for a M4 carbine (not for range rifle) with all necessary add-on's? Red dot scope, flip up sights, stock, handguards, light, hand grip :confused:

Zane1844
06-10-13, 15:11
Whatever you can carry without fatiguing.

Aries144
06-10-13, 15:20
With that setup, you'd be looking at roughly 8.5-9 lbs, depending on what components are used.

Lighter is always better.

BlkDragon
06-10-13, 15:37
Mine weights in at 8.4 lbs so that's not too heavy.....:no:

jaxman7
06-10-13, 15:43
One that weighs 7.1.The other is 9.2

PAWs 21
06-10-13, 15:54
My BCM Midlength w 16" gvmt barrel, HSP light and Aimpoint PRO weighs 8.3 unloaded

PA PATRIOT
06-10-13, 16:39
What's necessary on a AR depends on what mission the rifle has to accomplish for its operator. Some like it bare bones and lite where others like to clamp on everything including the kitchen sink making for a heavy rifle.

Personally I would have to base the average weight of a AR to a military M-16 with all the approved optics, IR and lights. From what I have been told those rifles weigh over 10lbs.

I run a bare bones light weight rig for serious work and heavier rigs for three gun and ranged work.

Tzed250
06-10-13, 18:27
My 16" Carbine with B5 SOPMOD and DD 9" MFR weighs 7.5lbs. Add the carry handle and LMT front sight and the weight goes to 8.7lbs.

TheAxeShooter
06-10-13, 18:45
Mine is weighing in at just under 7 pounds without a light on it.

donlapalma
06-10-13, 18:55
I immediately thought of this thread:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=57184

But it seems as though the links are no longer valid. Anybody know if a tool like this still exists out there in cyber space?

BlkDragon
06-10-13, 20:38
http://vuurwapenblog.com/calc.html

That site needs to update with newer products, not a lot of the stuff out there are on there but I tried to get as close as I can and weight in at 8.23 lbs....so pretty close.

BlkDragon
06-10-13, 21:26
Sorry I am not familiar with things around here......if thread is not supposed to be add to it should be closed or locked...???? Also it was my mistake posting it there, I was actually trying to post here instead.....my bad :rolleyes:

Shorts
06-10-13, 22:29
My is ~6.5lbs unloaded.

As for finding weights of parts, I've taken to doing Google searches and manf/brand product look-ups to find weight of an individual item. I generally find a ballpark figure. I have kept a log of individual parts I have here. Makes it easy to reference when thinking of a part change. I use a small kitchen scale.

For what's acceptable weight wise, that depends on you and the function of your rifle.

Re: your posting - here is the M4C Style Guide: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=70019

Read through it and it'll give you an idea of what is expected around here.

BlkDragon
06-10-13, 22:44
Re: your posting - here is the M4C Style Guide: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=70019

Read through it and it'll give you an idea of what is expected around here.

Thanks.....I will read through it when I have time.....I belong to few Forums and never ran into such thing....if any thread is old Moderator usually lock or close it to avoid such problem....as I stated in my post it was a mistake on my part posting it there, I tried to delete my posting but no such option.....anyhow, if that's a big deal I guess banning or deactivating my account will be fine.....I am new here and I am fine with that :no:

crosseyedshooter
06-11-13, 01:57
I don't know how everybody gets such light weights. My BCM 14.5" LW middy is 6lb 14oz. That's with C4 rails, EOTech XPS2 and no BUIS or rail panels. Once I add those, I'll be over 7 lbs, unloaded.

06-11-13, 08:01
Stock 6920 is 6.9 lbs as listed at Clyde's. DD LW's around 6.2lbs. Add light, sling, optic, and most will be in the 7.5lb.-8.5lb. range w/o ammo.

markm
06-11-13, 08:20
I don't know how everybody gets such light weights.

A balanced weapon is much more important that chasing a specific weight.

Obsessing on weight is nonsense in my opinion.

BlkDragon
06-11-13, 08:52
Unless some of the lighter AR's are half Polymer or Titanium body I don't see how they can weight so light...:confused:

Mine came stock 5.9 lbs and after all the needed accessories added to it it weights in at 8.4 lbs, I had GM extended handguards (http://www.gm-gear.com/ar15-extended-length-carbine-quad-rail-gm-qre1/) and it weights 9.8 lbs so I swapped out with AB Arms (https://www.abarms.com/category_s/87.htm) handguards. I like the way its balanced now, staying at this weight, I will be using it for combat training classes so lighter is better :) But for long range shooting it doesn't really matter how much the rifle weights :no:

anddrivall
06-11-13, 09:14
Lighter is always better.7.1 is just fine.My BCM Midlength w 16" gvmt barrel is best with a beautiful company logo and good design.

About Concept Designs (http://concept-designs.com.au/about-us/)

Shorts
06-11-13, 09:16
Unless some of the lighter AR's are half Polymer or Titanium body I don't see how they can weight so light...:confused:

Ounces add up. If you want to be wowed go into the Build forum and search for 'Project Featherweight'.

Light can be achieved. It involves scrutinizing every single part, even some custom work now and again. Also consider the material used for parts. Stainless steel, carbon steel and aluminum all have different weights.

jaxman7
06-11-13, 09:30
A balanced weapon is much more important that chasing a specific weight.

Obsessing on weight is nonsense in my opinion.

This is something that has recently come to my attention. I've never really had a heavy AR until recently. I ended up pulling some stuff off the front of the gun. Replaced the heavier Larue scout mount w/Noveske's, took off the SR07 tape switch, did away with the stubby grip, took off the DD front sight and replaced with a lighter folding front sight. Now its not exactly feeling like a Colt 6720 but those alterations have shifted the center of gravity more towards the rear.
It does feel noticeably better.

Never been a big 'balance guy' but when crap adds up on an AR it can make quite a difference.

-Jax

markm
06-11-13, 09:31
I put a shake weigh on my handguards to balance it out and reduce recoil. :p

Shao
06-11-13, 10:01
My primary rifle weighs 8.4 unloaded.

BCM BHF 16" middy with Fortis REV 14", UBR, Eotech XPS, Surefire single cell weapon light on Gear Sector mount, billet lower, MBUS II BUIS, Gunfighter CH and grip, various rail covers/handstop, H buffer, etc...

Any heavier and it would have to go on a diet. 8.4 is a nice weight. The UBR helps to balance it out.

Shorts
06-11-13, 10:04
re: Balance - that one is hard to reconcile when the balance point is at the grip.

ETA: I think there is a point for each person where balance & weight intersect to form an ideal feel.

midSCarolina
06-11-13, 10:21
I don't think you should ever go over 9lbs (unloaded). But as it has been mentioned, the balance of the weapon is really important bc weight towards the muzzle of the rifle feels different than weight over the grip. Here is a little science to help explain

http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k558/thornejc23/levers_zps5a3a3a64.png

In general the effort force can be expressed as

Fe = Fl · dl / de (1)

where

Fe = effort force (N, lb)

Fl = load force (N, lb) (note that weight is a force)

dl = distance from load force to fulcrum (m, ft)

de = distance from effort force to fulcrum (m, ft)

So if you do the calculations, you will see that the further you shift that balance point (fulcrum) toward the front of the rifle by having a lot of weight up there, the heavier it will feel and the more effort it will take to balance the weapon. It is scientific fact.

Trajan
06-11-13, 10:37
Unloaded without a mag my rifle weighs 8.4lbs.

14.5 middy with Govt profile and A2X, Larue 9" rail, VTAC light mount with SF Fury, 3 Tango down stippled SCAR panels with the other slots filled by Magpul ladders, T-1 on LT660 with IO Cover, Umbrella Corp Grip, LMT SOPMOD, G&R padded VCAS.

It use to weigh like 9lbs something with the TD QD stubby and TD BG-16. Ditched the vfg recently after discovering that with how well I stippled my panels, I don't need a vfg or handstop. Even then, I didn't think it was a problem. Arm curls really help make your weapon lighter.

BlkDragon
06-11-13, 11:00
Weight is very important to a field soldier and should be to the rest of us also since if you have to carry your rifle along with the rest of the stuff you need to survive, weight is something you focus on in a hurry.

But for some they just go out to shooting range and target practice so weight is not something they worry about.

Kain
06-11-13, 12:28
My two go to rifles are 8.5 and 9.3 pounds loaded with a 30rd Pmag with 28 rounds of M193, respectfully, so drop a pound or there abouts for weigh unloaded. One is a plain carbine, M2 Aimpoint, standard caarbine handguards, TLR1s in a IWC mount, B5 stock. The other is a BCM BFH middy, MOE handguard, ACOG, VCAS sling, ACS stock, some extra batteries for a light that is on its way.

Could they be lighter? Sure. Are they going to be? Not likely. The BCM is going to get a free float rail so that may add a couple ounces, and a light so I figure if it is sub 10pounds loaded I am happy. The carbine I doubt once I change a few things out, different light, sling, ect, that it won't be 9 pounds loaded, but that it fine by me.

Personal rule of thumb if I can't shoulder the rifle using only my strong arm then it is not balanced or is too heavy. Both these rifles fit that requirement.

crosseyedshooter
06-11-13, 12:37
What's the opinion on locating center of mass for best balance? Mine balances at the center of the mag well. That means full or empty mag doesn't change the balance, just the weight.

On the other hand, I would think balancing back at the handgrip would make the rifle feel handier?

Shorts
06-11-13, 12:42
I am a one handed shooter. Weight and balance affect me more than they might a regular two handed shooter. My priorities are not someone else's.

The best balance I think would be subjective. Find what feels good for you.

markm
06-11-13, 13:59
The best balance I think would be subjective. Find what feels good for you.

Exactly. THANK YOU.

AR15freak
06-11-13, 19:46
Iv'e been lurking around here but have never really posted. I was wondering what average weights on a typical AR was as well. Are these weights I'm seeing here with or without full mags? If no mags or empty mags then that doesn't count obviously as you cant use the rifle without ammo..

My AR with Magpul furniture, Eotech 512, front and rear MBUS and Pmags goes almost 9 pounds.. but I have an Adams Arms gas piston upper with a free floating quad rail so I expect it to be a little heavy. But for me whats more important than the weight is the balance point, as others have stated..

BlkDragon
06-11-13, 20:20
Most of the weight mentioned here are unloaded with mag unless otherwise mentioned loaded...... mine is with Surefire 60 round mag unloaded......so with ammo probably close to 9 lbs or a tad more :D

Shorts
06-11-13, 20:22
It's not a conspiracy. If the poster said "unloaded" or "without mags", then weigh a mag and add that number to the rifle weight.

A variation will come from mag weights too (brands and materials).

loaded (standard GI)-
30rd ~ 1lb
20rd ~ 11-12oz
10rd?
5rd?

Pappabear
06-12-13, 04:43
I can tell you, on average, that slipping a can on it won't help balance or weight. :nono:

Deaj
06-12-13, 11:59
A balanced weapon is much more important that chasing a specific weight...

I concur. How a weapon handles matters more than its weight.

I have moderate to severe systemic joint pain (managed, not medicated) so fatigue can set in quickly. Weight - or rather perceived weight - will have an impact on how long I am able to effectively use my carbine. As fatigue increases I slow down physically and accuracy gradually decreases.

I consider a sling, a light, and a red dot to be essential (proficiency with iron sights essential as well) and these things are going to add weight. I have two nearly identical fighting carbines (one has a modified A2 lightweight barrel profile, the other has a pencil barrel - otherwise identical) and unloaded they weigh in at 7 lbs 14 oz and 7 lbs 9 oz respectively. While not exactly 'lightweight' both carbines are balanced such that they feel very light and I find I am able to continue training for longer than with earlier configurations (prior configurations felt 'front heavy' and my support hand would fatigue quickly). As they are now the center of balance is at the front edge of the magwell. With a loaded 30 rd Pmag inserted weight is increased by 18 oz but weight balance stays neutral.

I tend to be long-winded when writing. Short version - one would be better served working towards a comfortable weight balance than trying to reach a specific weight range or target.

IMO of course. :)

_Stormin_
06-12-13, 12:11
My primary is 6.8 lbs unloaded. It "feels lighter" than that, but that would be because of the fact that I am just used to heavier rifles. All of my hunting rifles weigh significantly more. (Longer barrels, leather slings vs nylon, and bipods.)

Koshinn
06-12-13, 12:23
7.5-9.5 lbs unloaded seems to be common depending on a lot of variables. Barrel weight, optics, and white/ir lights can make a big difference.