PDA

View Full Version : Active Shooter Alert at Fort Sam Houston

DragonDoc
06-10-13, 16:25
There was an active shooter incident at Fort Sam Houston this afternoon. A woman was shot outside the barracks. The post was locked down for an hour while the shooter was at large. She is in stable condition at SAMMC and he has been apprehended. More to follow.

kry226
06-10-13, 16:31
http://www.chron.com/news/local_news/article/Developing-story-Shooting-reported-at-Fort-Sam-4591876.php

The gunman, a retired Army sergeant major, turned himself in within the last hour, a Fort Sam official said.

Moose-Knuckle
06-10-13, 16:34
More work place violence I presume . . .

montanadave
06-10-13, 16:37
Good love gone bad?

DragonDoc
06-10-13, 16:42
Good love gone bad?

More than likely yes.

DragonDoc
06-10-13, 16:44
Here is the word from the local news.

http://www.ksat.com/news/shooting-reported-at-fort-sam-houston/-/478452/20503082/-/dgqcin/-/index.html

SeriousStudent
06-10-13, 19:15
She'll wear that damn reflective belt for PT next time, won't she?

It was a joke! A joke! I was kidding! Just a joke, please don't ban me! :eek:

Admit it, you all had garrison Sergeant Major jokes going through your heads. You know you did.

Seriously, I do hope the injured Soldier makes a full recovery, and I'm glad no one else was injured.

Voodoochild
06-10-13, 19:17

Admit it, you all had garrison Sergeant Major jokes going through your heads. You know you did.

Seriously, I do hope the injured Solider makes a full recovery, and I'm glad no one else was injured.

Your getting an infraction and 2 days on the tree of woe.

SeriousStudent
06-10-13, 20:07
I'll go quietly.

Zhurdan
06-10-13, 20:30
Ok, so when does it become an "active shooter" scenario?

Some douche bag shot his girlfriend because of whatever. How does that equate to an "active shooter"?

Not really looking for an answer, but sometimes, we can be our own worst enemies by giving credence to the blatant propaganda words that have been infused into society to incite fear.

How about we call this one dumbass who can't play well with others? :D;)

SeriousStudent
06-10-13, 20:33
After the shooting by Major (oh, how that makes me grit my teeth) Hassan, the Army is most likely erring on the side of caution.

Until all is said and done, they likely do not know how many victims there are. I am reminded of the old adage "The first report is always wrong."

So call it an active shooter, and fly in the Cav.

BrigandTwoFour
06-10-13, 20:34
Ok, so when does it become an "active shooter" scenario?

Some douche bag shot his girlfriend because of whatever. How does that equate to an "active shooter"?

Not really looking for an answer, but sometimes, we can be our own worst enemies by giving credence to the blatant propaganda words that have been infused into society to incite fear.

How about we call this one dumbass who can't play well with others? :D;)

On every installation I've been at, "active shooter" implies any shots fired on base by anyone other than LE.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
06-10-13, 21:41
Maybe she referred to a group of Sergeants Major as "Sergeant Majors" and he simply snapped.

ST911
06-10-13, 22:17
This is not an "active shooter" incident as in common use, nor as specifically defined by DHS. This is an aggravated assault, ADW, or attempted homicide with a suspect at large. There is a significant difference. That DOD uses it otherwise is unfortunate, and another example of them latching onto something that they don't fully understand and redefine.

However, there is some collateral benefit in using it, for its instant recognition of danger and likelihood to prompt a more meaningful response from citizens.

Nonetheless, we dilute it when we use it this way.

Kokopelli
06-10-13, 22:50
Maybe she referred to a group of Sergeants Major as "Sergeant Majors" and he simply snapped.

hahahahahaha...:nono:

Sensei
06-10-13, 23:57

Seriously, I do hope the injured Soldier makes a full recovery, and I'm glad no one else was injured.

"This is my reflective belt. There are many like it but this one is mine. My reflective belt is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my reflective belt is useless. Without my reflective belt I am useless. I must wear my reflective belt. My reflective belt makes me luminous to my enemy, who is trying to kill me. Before God I swear this creed: my reflective belt and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of my enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but peace..."

Sensei
06-10-13, 23:58

I was thinking that she walked on the Sergeant Major's grass...

DragonDoc
06-12-13, 07:36
Turns out that she was leaving him and he snapped.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/article/Fort-Sam-shooting-suspect-charged-4594452.php

Think of Fort Sam as a university campus. They will lock the place down to protect the students and faculty in a heart beat. I think they called it an active shooter event because the guy was in the wind for a bit. If he has waited until 1630, he might have had a better chance of getting away due to the amount of people moving on the installation.

DragonDoc
06-12-13, 07:43

You joke but they make the kids on Sam wear PT belts everywhere they go. They even wear the damn things in civvies. It is getting out of hand. The belt isn't going to keep them safe during daylight hours. They will still get run over because drivers will get target fixation on the hot young ladies all over the place.

montanadave
06-12-13, 08:02
Sounds like this guy (now, according to the Pentagon, a retired sergeant first-class, not a sergeant major) had done well in retirement, owning interests in three different night clubs and a popular burger restaurant while living in a $540,000 home.

I hope he enjoys watching his soon-to-be ex-common law wife spend it all while he spends the next few years making little ones out of big ones.

Women. Can't live with 'em. Can't shoot 'em.

Well, apparently you can, but it carries some negative consequences.

DragonDoc
06-12-13, 12:35
Sounds like this guy (now, according to the Pentagon, a retired sergeant first-class, not a sergeant major) had done well in retirement, owning interests in three different night clubs and a popular burger restaurant while living in a $540,000 home.

I hope he enjoys watching his soon-to-be ex-common law wife spend it all while he spends the next few years making little ones out of big ones.

Women. Can't live with 'em. Can't shoot 'em.

Well, apparently you can, but it carries some negative consequences.

She was common law to boot. He could have let her go and traded up for a younger model. There are plenty of 20 some things here in S.A. Bottom line is he shouldn't have confronted her on a military installation. He definitely shouldn't have escalated the use of force on post. If this had happened off post, it would have been a 30 second blurb on the evening news.

SeriousStudent
06-12-13, 20:38
You joke but they make the kids on Sam wear PT belts everywhere they go. They even wear the damn things in civvies. It is getting out of hand. The belt isn't going to keep them safe during daylight hours. They will still get run over because drivers will get target fixation on the hot young ladies all over the place.

I was not joking. My daughter is a Soldier at Benning.

Back when I was on active duty, we did not use reflective belts. If you got run over by a chariot, the Centurions just laughed and said to each other "That will teach 'em, eh Flavius?"